• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

harmonize

Maybe because I have a deep love for chip tune, but I'll always hold that GSC had the best music. HG/SS's remixes were good, but never really did the originals full justice. They "softened" them a little. BW2 is probably the best from the post-chiptune era. Some great tracks there.
They really perfected the 8-bit sound during GSC; it still has some of the best tracks in the series (Azalea/Blackthorn, Violet/Olivine, the Kanto gym leader battle theme, and the legendary dog encounter theme) and easily still has the best surfing theme from my perspective.

GSC > HGSS > BW > RBY > DPP > B2W2 > RSE > FRLG

I really felt a lot left to be desired from the entire third generation's soundtrack; some of it felt like it was strangely composed, and the other felt like a flaw in the soundfont that it used. Even then, it still gave me some pretty good themes like Groundon/Kyogre, Verdanturf Town, and the Aqua/Magma leader battle theme. Though, there's not one track in FRLG that immediately comes to mind that I felt sounded more pleasing than it's RBY counterpart.

Toxi

Banned
Though, there's not one track in FRLG that immediately comes to mind that I felt sounded more pleasing than it's RBY counterpart.
Gotta agree. I think they added too much to what were originally very simple themes; compare the original RBY champion theme (Which is pretty intimidating thanks to its limited use of notes) to the FRLG remix (which is way too busy).

RSE worked much better because the music was actually composed around the instruments.

Anura

People actually liked gen 5's music? Eh to each their own but dang...

The only good tracks there for me are corles battle and the B/W 1 ending credits

qq more

B/W had the worst music, plz stahp

The OST was alright but yeah I felt it was the weakest in the mainline titles. It does have its great songs though here and there (the tower theme and Clay's city theme that I forgot its name). I think the problem is that I'm really sick of the same soundfont they've been using since Gen 4, it kind of got stale.

I'll admit that the low health music was brilliant lol

Driftveil Gym in BW2 is way too good for a gym track. Likewise with a few of the others like Elesa's and the Shadow Trinity / Neo Team Plasma battle themes. Other than a few of those, I can't remember any major standouts from the BW2 OST.

FRLG Champion theme / Trainer Battle themes are also the best in the franchise. Haters gonna hate.

I spent like 6 hours total breeding these babies:

I'll do it again if I have to, but I'd like to know why, exactly, it'd be a good thing for people like me to have to do that all over again. >_>
Why? There's really no negatives. It's always optional anyway.

What? Why? I don't want to starting all over with collecting.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to bring over all of my Pokemon that I've spent hundreds of hours breeding and training, and battle with them in glorious 3D! However, I do think that it might not be better for Pokemon as a whole. Without transferring:

1 - No one would be able to bring their hacked Pokemon over.
2 - If GameFreak is doing some major iv/stat/move/type changing, it might be easier to just not allow transferring, than it would be to build a system that adjusts all the old Pokemon to the new standards.
3 - Not allowing players to transfer old Pokemon would pretty much force GameFreak to make every Pokemon available on the 3DS. (Possibly not with X & Y, but within the next few games)

As I said, I'm not against transferring. I'm just not sure it'd be for the best.

ffdgh

Then we factor in all those event Pokemon over the years... Especially the GBA ones and other non wifi events. There would be many unhappy customers lol.

backlot

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to bring over all of my Pokemon that I've spent hundreds of hours breeding and training, and battle with them in glorious 3D! However, I do think that it might not be better for Pokemon as a whole. Without transferring:

1 - No one would be able to bring their hacked Pokemon over.
2 - If GameFreak is doing some major iv/stat/move/type changing, it might be easier to just not allow transferring, than it would be to build a system that adjusts all the old Pokemon to the new standards.
3 - Not allowing players to transfer old Pokemon would pretty much force GameFreak to make every Pokemon available on the 3DS. (Possibly not with X & Y, but within the next few games)

As I said, I'm not against transferring. I'm just not sure it'd be for the best.

1. I don't think hacked Pokemon are as big of a problem as people seem to think. They don't really even have an advantage over a lot of the legit Pokemon you'll face online.
2. Yes, it would be easier for Gamefreak in that scenario but it would still really suck. And I really don't think you're giving them enough credit if you don't think they could come up with a formula for converting old Pokemon.
3. Gen 3 remakes aren't happening. Get over it :p

Toxi

Banned
still not confirmed still not confirmed still not confirmed
hF4A4A06E

Regiruler

Don't forget the remix of the Kanto Champion theme, which was used for the VGC finals featuring BW. I flipped out when I heard it for the first time around BW's release.

So that's what it was used for?
I still think it should have been in the soundtrack I paid good money for.

EDIT: Pokemon on facebook, please don't tell me this is actually a thing.
If there are two things I dislike, it's facebook and people taking roleplay too seriously.
I am moderately intrigued at the prospect of Regigigas having one

backlot

So that's what it was used for?
I still think it should have been in the soundtrack I paid good money for.

If there are two things I dislike, it's facebook and people taking roleplay too seriously.

If that was taking roleplay too seriously then I can't imagine what a roleplay joke must be like.

Toxi

Banned
...I'm pretty sure those facebook images are just shops using some sort of program. At least, that's what I've always assumed.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Apparently Bubagarden threatened to ban any and all discussion about Charizard because people were making fun of him and getting into fights.

I think if you have to ban discussion of literally one of the main characters of the franchise you're entire existence is dedicated to, there's probably an easier option to take.

DaBoss

Apparently Bubagarden threatened to ban any and all discussion about Charizard because people were making fun of him and getting into fights.

I think if you have to ban discussion of literally one of the main characters of the franchise you're entire existence is dedicated to, there's probably an easier option to take.
Wow. I love Charizard, but to get into fights about it? I know some people don't like Charizard and that's OK. And it's true it is weak against rock types and stuff, but wow.

And people making fun of it being a reason is just beyond silly. It's things like this that I can't stand forums dedicated to a certain series or franchise, at least the ones I've seen (except Court-Records, there are lots great people on there).

Toxi

Banned
Well Mega-Evolving doesn't use up a turn, so even if it did the taunter is going to get hit with an attack.
I was thinking of a taunt on a switch-in, which does often happen.

I'm guessing it doesn't stop mega-evolutions, since you can still use items on a taunted Pokemon in the single-player.

1. I don't think hacked Pokemon are as big of a problem as people seem to think. They don't really even have an advantage over a lot of the legit Pokemon you'll face online.
2. Yes, it would be easier for Gamefreak in that scenario but it would still really suck. And I really don't think you're giving them enough credit if you don't think they could come up with a formula for converting old Pokemon.
3. Gen 3 remakes aren't happening. Get over it :p

1 - True. Although I'm still sick of everyone I face online having an entire team of shiny legendaries.
2 - I don't doubt that they could, I'm just not sure it'd be worth it. I can also hear the outrage now, about everyone's favorite Pokemon having it's stats changed. Lol.
3 - I don't actually care about Gen III remakes. =P I'd still like to be able to catch every Pokemon without having to transfer them from my numerous DS games.

Anura

Wow. I love Charizard, but to get into fights about it? I know some people don't like Charizard and that's OK. And it's true it is weak against rock types and stuff, but wow.

And people making fun of it being a reason is just beyond silly. It's things like this that I can't stand forums dedicated to a certain series or franchise, at least the ones I've seen (except Court-Records, there are lots great people on there).

The issue I think is when there are a lot of people on a dedicated forum, you usually get a bunch of horrible topics from that

When you have a dedicated forum for an old or not very popular game you get less people but the ones who stayed are the ones who want to talk about the game and not bother with dumb drama

Heck certain old game forums on gamefaqs are tolerable

JoeM86

Well, for a short time on SPPf, we had to restrict people from posting new topics about Misty in regards to the anime because it was just getting ridiculous. The same fights were occurring constantly.

Macka

I love the Pokemon music in all of the games, but I can't actually remember ANY of it apart from the chiptunes of R/B/Y and G/S/C. I guess since they are much simpler they are easier to remember? Like I can start humming the Lavender Town theme right now, cycling road, etc. but the Team Plasma battle theme? I remember it was good...but I can't actually remember IT.

Firestorm

Pokemon communities have issues with a very large percentage of people being children (especially in sites like Serebii or PokeBeach's case). You also have a lot of people who just don't get out much / are homeschooled. Due to their age, the Pokemon forum is usually their first online community and if they don't really interact much in real life, they don't even have that to go off of. It's quite a challenge to get people accustomed to the way things work on the internet without scaring them off completely or bringing them down.

Do we know how long mega-evolutions last? for the rest of the battle?
Yes, and you cannot undo the mega-evolution. Also I see you found that awesome NHL Pokemon logo imgur album!

JoeM86

Pokemon communities have issues with a very large percentage of people being children (especially in sites like Serebii or PokeBeach's case). You also have a lot of people who just don't get out much / are homeschooled. Due to their age, the Pokemon forum is usually their first online community and if they don't really interact much in real life, they don't even have that to go off of. It's quite a challenge to get people accustomed to the way things work on the internet without scaring them off completely or bringing them down.

And from where did you get these supposed details about demographics of my site?

23% are 13-17
64% are 18-24

So yeah. Please do not make assumptions.

harmonize

From an outside perspective, I'd imagine that it must look pretty amusing that we as a fanbase play favoritism to the point of mudslinging over iterations from one of the most static and monolithic successful franchises in all of gaming. I mean, one of the main criticisms leveled towards the series from people who are only familiar with the battling mechanics at a "casual" level is that they're too similar to each other to stay fresh, yet we find the few things that have changed the way most people play the games and ascend to an entirely different plateau of nitpicking.

And from where did you get these supposed details about demographics of my site?

23% are 13-17
64% are 18-24

So yeah. Please do not make assumptions.
Not to be disparaging towards you or your website, but is this measure derived from all accounts ever registered on your site, or just from members who frequent your site/forum on a regular basis? Your site is pretty old, and I'd imagine a good majority of posters from the earlier years have left and naturally been replaced by newer members like any other community, so that'd skew the results by a pretty good amount if that's the metric you use.

I think it might be why I'm much mote comfortable with less-known, smaller Pokémon communities these days.

Maybe I should revisit SPPf someday soon... I know I hit the main site often, but the forums... I really should make my presence known more often there at the very least.

JoeM86

Are you honestly trying to say that Pokemon does not attract a higher proportion of young users than other communities?

I didn't say that. Pokémon is typically skewed towards the younger compared to others.

What I contested was your statement that my site is more towards the younger part of the demographic than other Pokémon sites which is entirely erroneous. Yes, my site is arguably the most popular, so in terms of sheer numbers it's larger, yes, but in terms of percentage no, it is not true.

Not to be disparaging towards you or your website, but is this measure derived from all accounts ever registered on your site, or just from members who frequent your site/forum on a regular basis? Your site is pretty old, and I'd imagine a good majority of posters from the earlier years have left and naturally been replaced by newer members like any other community, so that'd skew the results by a pretty good amount if that's the metric you use.

Active users, not all registered

-------

Late to the ineptitude of Parcel Force (after a week of being in customs, they sent it back to Japan) but just got this birthday present from parents. So amazing

Yes, and you cannot undo the mega-evolution. Also I see you found that awesome NHL Pokemon logo imgur album!

That's some great stereotyping you've got going there. =P Believe it or not, most homeschoolers actually have zero problems socializing with others.

And I'm not sure age is the problem either. A large majority of Pokemon fans that I know personally are in their late teens or early twenties. I think a lot of the in-fighting comes from how much the series allows you to pick favorites. There are tons of Pokemon, which allows a broad variety in taste. And when you have so many people with such a variety of tastes communicating... people tend to be very defensive about their choices.

I think this thread ably demonstrates that having ill-thought-out arguments or having problems interacting with others is by no means restricted to any demographic.

Top Bottom