• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Toxi

Banned
Amateur hour, kids today aren't ever going to grow up to be accomplished trainers if they can't distinguish between individual cries and low resolution backsprites.
Low resolution back-sprites are easy, especially since we're not dealing with Red/Blue levels of terrible.
venusaur.png

Cries on the other hand... Goddamnit it, I can't, especially Gen 1 cries.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Yes, and you cannot undo the mega-evolution. Also I see you found that awesome NHL Pokemon logo imgur album!

Yeah, found that a while back, before the album was completed. It combined two of the best things in one avatar, how could I say no! Before I switched from a dragonite avatar to a Canucks avatar. Now I get both pokemon & hockey in the same avatar, it's perfect.

Toxi

Banned
I remember finding a Pokemon... Book... Thing, with a female trainer next to a purple, wingless Charizard on the front cover. It was some sort of "strategy book" that had stuff like tips for Pokemon Snap and Stadium inside. This was back before Gold and Silver had even been announced in the United States.

I'm not sure what the fuck it was. Maybe it was fan-produced?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah, upon realization, it's an old issue. Oh well, false alarm folks!

Man, still roughly 3 weeks to go.

JoeM86

I'm struggling to buy that so many people are finding shinies in the demo.

I dunno. It's not that much of a jump.

The demo is 10 minutes long. Pokémon Game Show had approx. 300 demo units. Gamescom had about 50 (maybe less). PGS ran from 10-17 for two days so 14 hours. Let's say an average of 5 plays per demo unit per hour so at the PGS alone, there were 21,000 demo play throughs. Each demo playthrough had an average of 3 wild battles so 63,000 wild battles. Add to that Gamescom which is open for the public across four days for a total of 40 hours so that's say another 10,000 plays, so 30,000 wild battles making it almost 100,000 wild battles within this, not to mention the Pokémon given at the start.

Statistically speaking, we should be seeing more shinies in this technological social networking age.

That said, I don't believe this Fennekin one is real.

The only one I know 100% is real is Flabébé, and maybe Sylveon.

DaBoss

Best shinies are Haxorus & Charizard. That's all that matters. :p

I don't know how my other favorite Pokémon look in shiny form.

backlot

We're not gonna be able to dump the game data to see all the shiny colorings this time, right? We're gonna be seeing fake shiny screenshots forever when the game releases.

Caladrius

We're not gonna be able to dump the game data to see all the shiny colorings this time, right? We're gonna be seeing fake shiny screenshots forever when the game releases.

Probably not, unless someone somehow has a 3DS dev kit that would care enough to do it.

Probably not, unless someone somehow has a 3DS dev kit that would care enough to do it.

Do those things decrypt retail games? I doubt that.

And I agree that most shinies don't look too hot. But some are pretty good though.

I've always wondered if the shiny palettes were determined through applying the power of math to the original palettes.

Firestorm

Pokemon Smash is on now but I have to leave. Apparently this is the episode with World Championships footage so wanted to see if I could catch a glimpse of either myself or my friends on Japanese TV :(

Speaking of World Championships, Pokemon has the videos up on their YouTube channel now for anyone who might have missed the live broadcast on Twitch and are interested: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQWzKIaERiry6U7-z3OSQpjmSWvM0Lr98

I've also got the Opening Ceremonies clip in decent quality. I always love looking at all the different flags and stuff.

The Masters Division and Junior Division World Champions have also written up their tournament reports and teams. It's really great to see how they put together their teams. Brendan is 10 years old as of a few days ago and a better player than probably all of us :p

Fall Regional Locations this October are going to be Pleasanton, California; Houston, Texas; Ft. Wayne, Indiana; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; and likely Toronto, Ontario for those of you interested in taking part this year! Unfortunately the first set of regionals will be Black & White 2. X and Y start in January.

Anura

I think eccentric re-colors can complement certain pokemon

Just look at milotic those colors make it look even more fabulous and complements the design concept

But you also get things like garchomp... Why even bother?

Caladrius

I don't care about the new shiny palettes as long as I get to see my precious Shiny Gallade and White Kyurem IN 3D

And they're probably gonna block off the cover mascots from having them anyway.

Well, don't forget that modded 3DSs with video out can be obtained at cost, so there has to be at least a few people who can grab shots. If the Pokedex model remains static, then that's what probably will be used for sites that need it. Just gonna need a lot of cutting out...

The exact technical structure in game will remain out of reach for at least a year or two, barring any surprises. So from day 1, there will have to be a lot of tests done, since there won't be an easy dump of abilities/moves/stats/items to look over - lots of battles, lots of catching, lots of trading. The effects of Pokemon-amie will have to be taken into consideration as well, plus it's effect on the friendship stat as it is (different/same? Does it replace it?).

Anura

Well, don't forget that modded 3DSs with video out can be obtained at cost, so there has to be at least a few people who can grab shots. If the Pokedex model remains static, then that's what probably will be used for sites that need it. Just gonna need a lot of cutting out...

The exact technical structure in game will remain out of reach for at least a year or two, barring any surprises. So from day 1, there will have to be a lot of tests done, since there won't be an easy dump of abilities/moves/stats/items to look over - lots of battles, lots of catching, lots of trading. The effects of Pokemon-amie will have to be taken into consideration as well, plus it's effect on the friendship stat as it is (different/same? Does it replace it?).

For the fist time in what seems like forever the event only pokemon are actually going to be a suprize!

Trey

The developer who made it so you had to go through numerous text bubbles and a battle just to check you starter's nature in Platinum is my mortal enemy.

Caladrius

For the fist time in what seems like forever the event only pokemon are actually going to be a suprize!

That depends on how long they wait to release them and how long it takes for hackers to find the pokemon index numbers and rip the assets. I imagine that's going to be one of the first things they look for.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
mhm... Contemplating doing the White 2 post-Elite 4 content.. I know there's quite a bit... will it give me any benefit for X/Y? Anything specifically you'd recommend doing to prepare for X/Y?

That depends on how long they wait to release them and how long it takes for hackers to find the pokemon index numbers and rip the assets. I imagine that's going to be one of the first things they look for.

Unless Game Freak do the sensible thing and avoid putting the event legendaries on the cart, of course. It wasn't possible before, but the 3DS should be able to make this a reality.

Lovin the French flair here.
And I agree that most shinies don't look too hot. But some are pretty good though.

I've always wondered if the shiny palettes were determined through applying the power of math to the original palettes.
I've wondered that myself. Some seem thought out but so many seem random and gaudy. Lots of bright magenta and green. Sounds like it'd be more efficient that way than recolouring all those sprites/textures too...

Top Bottom