• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

qq more

Then the logical solution would be to combine them both.
No because then that would be just watering down the badassery!

No really, of all the things from Metal Gear Rising you chose *that* as your avatar? Blade Wolf is where it's at, yo.

I'll just make Raiden wear a sombrero and call it a day.

Yeah, and why isn't your avatar Mega Mewtwo? Er...wait.

I'll just post this for no actual reason:

mewtwochicken.png

(dont ask, I didn't make this)

TrickRoom

Does anyone think they locked out stat screens in the demo because they've got something to hide about them? I've seen people talk about Sylveon's performance in the 2v2 battle and how the amount of damage it took was extremely unlikely unless some unknown or in revealed factor were to come into play.

Macka

Does anyone think they locked out stat screens in the demo because they've got something to hide about them? I've seen people talk about Sylveon's performance in the 2v2 battle and how the amount of damage it took was extremely unlikely unless some unknown or in revealed factor were to come into play.
Something funny is definitely going on, because that Sylveon took way more damage than it *should* be able to.

Salvadora

I'm playing my way through Pokemon White 2 for the first time. A few things I've noted so far:

• Pokemon distribution is incredible. Riolu, Psyduck, Mareep and Azurill before the first gym?!
  • The music is fantastic. 5th generation music could jump way up my list if this keeps up.
  • Well paced intro with likable characters.
  • Much more substantial (in terms of new content) than previous 'third' versions.
I'm only before the 2nd gym, but this game really is fantastic.

I'm playing my way through Pokemon White 2 for the first time. A few things I've noted so far:

• Pokemon distribution is incredible. Riolu, Psyduck, Mareep and Azurill before the first gym?!
  • The music is fantastic. 5th generation music could jump way up my list if this keeps up.
  • Much more substantial (in terms of new content) than previous 'third' versions.
Sounds amazing. My hearts gonna break if white and white 2 pokemon can't get transferred up a gen.

Salvadora

Sounds amazing. My hearts gonna break if white and white 2 pokemon can't get transferred up a gen.
I would be very surprised if it wasn't possible.

That 3DS game/app (Pokemon Dream Radar?) interacted with the game, so some form of communication must be possible. They came out recently too, so they must have been made with something in mind. Especially Black 2/White 2. I powered my phat DS up today to trade some Pokemon over, and to my dismay it was dead.

So I'm crossing my fingers that they will create some sort of process that doesn't require a second DS/3DS. Much like the game sync.

Kokonoe

Banned

1. Yeah, that's why I prefer BW2 over BW1, I like the diversity aspect of the wild by comparison.

4. Well, it's intended to be a sequel, unlike third versions (hence the name).

JoeM86

Unfortunately not. We've seen stat screens

torchic3.jpg

froakiemoves.jpg

JoeM86

How shortly before release have they traditionally shown the final forms of the starters? Is there any consistency for that?

Gen 1 before launch obviously
Gen 2 after launch
Gen 3 after launch except for Blaziken due to it being in the anime
Gen 4 after launch
Gen 5 middle evolutions 3 days before launch, final evos after launch - All of them leaked two and a half weeks before launch.

Gotta hide the stats of the new Pokemon.

Caladrius

If Gallade and Golurk aren't obtainable in the main game I may have to kill someone and string them by their entrails. That would be the most evil pokemon-related tease ever.

Salvadora

1. Yeah, that's why I prefer BW2 over BW1, I like the diversity aspect of the wild by comparison.

4. Well, it's intended to be a sequel, unlike third versions (hence the name).
Yeah I know :p

It just feels like they put so much effort in compared to the norm, is what I mean. They could have easily taken the lazy way out. In the past it has often felt like that.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Ugh waiting for X and Y just get harder and harder as the release date draws closer.

Oh well I guess that I will play Pokémon Yellow to tide me over.

Pokemon distribution is incredible. Riolu, Psyduck, Mareep and Azurill before the first gym?!

As great the Pokémon distribution in Black and White 2, it isn't that great as some of the Pokémon updated Unova Pokédex can't be obtain until post game.

Still bitter over the fact that I can't use Glaceon or Vigoroth until post game or unless I trade them over.

Salvadora

As great the Pokémon distribution in Black and White 2, it isn't that great as some of the Pokémon updated Unova Pokédex can't be obtain until post game.

Still bitter over the fact that I can't use Glaceon or Vigoroth until post game or unless I trade them over.
You really have to wonder what sort of thinking goes into that, Glaceon especially.

I think I'm correct in saying that something similar happened in Diamond & Pearl regarding the new evolutions to old Pokemon. You couldn't even get them until post-game! New Pokemon! It made me furious at the time.

Toxi

Banned
Fuck the lack of a sleep clause at the Pokemon World Tournament. Cheren's Watchog hypnosis'd my entire team.

Edit: and now his Cincinno is doing the same thing. This is obnoxious.

And not a single Hypnosis or Sing has missed yet. 70 accuracy my ass.

backlot

Fuck the lack of a sleep clause at the Pokemon World Tournament. Cheren's Watchog hypnosis'd my entire team.

Edit: and now his Cincinno is doing the same thing. This is obnoxious.

And not a single Hypnosis or Sing has missed yet. 70 accuracy my ass.

Get something with Taunt.

TrueBlue

Traded over my Mewtwo, Ampharos and Lucario from HG to White today. Mega-Evolutions are hopefully in the bag for X/Y.

Really tempted to get B/W2, just don't wanna burn out.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Seil

Right, but what happens to its Dream World version?
Is Dream World no longer a thing?

The hidden ability still exists, which is proven by the fact the event Torchic itself has the ability.

There's been no word on whether or not the Dream World will return. Getting rid of the Dream World doesn't necessarily mean losing hidden abilities, though. They could be integrated into the game itself.

Personally, I would rather the Dream World not return. When the Gen V Dream World shuts down, it will no longer be possible to grow berries in Gen V. There are also some medals in B/W2 that are tied to the Dream World which will become unobtainable. I can't say I'm fond of having features killed off like that. It also quickly turned into more of a chore than a fun side feature.

I like the Global Link and look forward to seeing what they do with it this time around. I just don't want to see features that belong in the main game delegated to an outside source only to be killed off later.

Anura

https://twitter.com/IceDoesntHelp

Everyone, we need to support one of our own in her time of need. This is literally a matter of life and death, so please send encouragement and good wishes her way while praying to the deity of your choosing.

From her latest tweets she seems to have calmed down... That's a relief. Hang in there girl! Ice may not help but time sure can
it can always gets better no matter how low things have gotten

I've had those thoughts before too so trust me!

JoeM86

Glad nothing happened, it's always sad when things do, let's just hope she can pull through this.

----
Oh this is interesting (just spotted this video, apologies if it has been caught before) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VwRTKOOPj0&feature=player_embedded
At 6m50 seconds, it says Helioptile holds on due to its friendship with the trainer i.e. Pokémon Amie. Seems its impact is deeper than we thought. We have Pokémon recovering from Paralysis and now holding on in combat. Going to have to find out everything about this

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Glad nothing happened, it's always sad when things do, let's just hope she can pull through this.

----
Oh this is interesting (just spotted this video, apologies if it has been caught before) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VwRTKOOPj0&feature=player_embedded
At 6m50 seconds, it says Helioptile holds on due to its friendship with the trainer i.e. Pokémon Amie. Seems its impact is deeper than we thought. We have Pokémon recovering from Paralysis and now holding on in combat. Going to have to find out everything about this

Mhmmm, if they do, doesn't that kind of... screw over every sturdy pokemon? Unless the odds of holding on would stack with sturdy and they'd be much more likely to survive. but still...

JoeM86

Mhmmm, if they do, doesn't that kind of... screw over every sturdy pokemon? Unless the odds of holding on would stack with sturdy and they'd be much more likely to survive. but still...

Not really. Sturdy is only from OHKOs...this is at any time. It was shown as Helioptile got hit by a Sand Tomb when it was already in the red

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Not really. Sturdy is only from OHKOs...this is at any time. It was shown as Helioptile got hit by a Sand Tomb when it was already in the red

That's my point though - Sturdy was somewhat unique before, now it'll not only be not unique, but also a lot weaker than whatever the friendship mechanic can do. What is sturdy good for if every other pokemon has a more powerful "save" ability anyway?

JoeM86

That's my point though - Sturdy was somewhat unique before, now it'll not only be not unique, but also a lot weaker than whatever the friendship mechanic can do. What is sturdy good for if every other pokemon has a more powerful "save" ability anyway?

You could argue the same with use of Focus Sash etc. This, however, is not guaranteed but random chance

If the amie feature is doing things like this I'm very certain that there will at the very least be game modes at battle facilities and online that have it "off". I'd go as far as speculating that the modes without amie bonus will be the default ones. A bit like that online mode with items last gen.

Kyzer

Banned
It'll probz be single player only. And Im all for it. Makes running with your favorite pokemon with shitty stats a little easier. Still wish they would implement a hold item that only works in single player that just maes your poke significantly stronger based on bond level.

whoa. wasnt something up with sylveons stats at the demo? the bond probably DOES affect stats.

Boss Doggie

Why do people think that temporary boosts are affecting multiplayer? Surely you folks haven't forgotten about badge upgrades which "vanish" during multiplayer right?

All Pokemon have innate Focus Bands now?

Just keeps getting dumber and dumber.

You know you can avoid using Amie if you don't want to.

If anything I'm surprised it took now to utilize "bonding" with Pokemon as a gameplay feature.

JoeM86

There is no reason to conclude that this won't be in multiplayer either. This is clearly a big mechanic and they're not going to drop it

Firestorm

There is no reason to conclude that this won't be in multiplayer either. This is clearly a big mechanic and they're not going to drop it
I think our reasoning is we give Game Freak's designers more credit than allowing every Pokemon to have an x% chance of randomly surviving attacks.
If anything I'm surprised it took now to utilize "bonding" with Pokemon as a gameplay feature.
Return and Frustration! I always wished that happier Pokemon would hit themselves in confusion less or something :( I enjoy that I know of 2 different situations in competitive Pokemon where players were too damn lazy to make their Pokemon happy enough for Return and did something else. I almost gave my Kangaskhan Double Edge instead of Return last year because I EV'd him in Black and then traded to Black 2 forgetting all the happiness I got while training would disappear and I'd have to do it again ;_;

JoeM86

I think our reasoning is we give Game Freak's designers more credit than allowing every Pokemon to have an x% chance of randomly surviving attacks.

Or, they'd want the new mechanics they've created for showing off the bond of you and your Pokémon to actually make an impact

Boss Doggie

It's not like GameFreak isn't genre savvy about stuff like this. Otherwise they would've allowed stat boosts from gym badges in online battles or allowed powerful Legendaries in Battle Frontier (which is said to "emulate" online battles).

Hell, I'm more surprised people are pissed at Amie which is a step up and prefer games which are a step down (you know those posters).

That's kind of disappointing. I want to use Amie, but I don't want to risk the game becoming a cakewalk because of it.

Would be interesting if your enemies also use Amie.

Return and Frustration! I always wished that happier Pokemon would hit themselves in confusion less or something :( I enjoy that I know of 2 different situations in competitive Pokemon where players were too damn lazy to make their Pokemon happy enough for Return and did something else. I almost gave my Kangaskhan Double Edge instead of Return last year because I EV'd him in Black and then traded to Black 2 forgetting all the happiness I got while training would disappear and I'd have to do it again ;_;
Seems this one is deeper than just Return and Frustration.

With that said only Normal physical attackers tend to benefit from either.

Top Bottom