• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

qq more

Hipster Pokemon?

Maybe this counts.

L3CGrtK.png

This could use a caption.

96Psv3o.png

"The fuck you just say to me you lil' shit?!"

Soodanim

So I'm playing White on my DS Lite, which I usually play on silent due to the music being shit, when I decide to plug in headphones. Holy sweet Jesus, it's made me do a complete 180. Now I will always play with the music on.

Question: is it worth getting White 2 and running through before I get a 3DS for gen 6?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Quilfish should be in Smash as an item, no not a Pokeball pokemon, an item. You bludgeon your enemies to death with it.

Toxi

Banned
I really hope it eventually becomes Normal/Ground
Considering that almost everything we know about it has to do with digging and it's called "the Digging Pokémon", I'm thinking it will become Normal/Ground.

Then again, we have a pure normal Pokémon that has Sand Rush for no real reason (But I'm glad Stoutland has Sand Rush, I like Stoutland).

Bunnelby reminds me of another cartoon character, just not sure which... At first I thought the rabbit from HarmoKnight but looking back, that's stretching it. I reckon it may be a James Turner design anyhow, going off the eyes.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
What if it becomes the Metal Shovel to Excadrill's Metal Drill?

Are we getting the Pokemon version of the Transformers?

I wonder if we'll get to see the generic rodent next update, since so far we have the basic bug (Scatterbug), the generic bird (Fletching), and the Pikaclone (Dedenne).
Bunnelby is destined to be the Qwilfish/Gulpin/Lumineon of this generation, with absolutely no one remembering it ever.
Unless it turns out to be the counterpart to Buneary :)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I remember Qwilfish, because that guy in Crystal used to ring me about them all the time. Forget Joey and his Rattata, it was always "Yo, Qwilfish swarm!".

Busaiku

So what's the Unova unremarkable Pokemon.
Honestly, I can't really say, since it'd been the 1st time since Kanto that I'd followed a Pokemon game so closely.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So what's the Unova unremarkable Pokemon.
Honestly, I can't really say, since it'd been the 1st time since Kanto that I'd followed a Pokemon game so closely.

The whole point of the unremarkable Pokemon is that you can't really say. It's that one you see when you look at the whole list from a gen and think "wait, what. I don't even remember that one...".

My vote is Basculin, incidentally. Maybe Swanna.

The whole point of the unremarkable Pokemon is that you can't really say. It's that one you see when you look at the whole list from a gen and think "wait, what. I don't even remember that one...".

My vote is Basculin, incidentally. Maybe Swanna.

Dunno about those two. To me Swanna stands out for being on the Flying Gym Leader's roster and Basculin for being the main source of speed EV's.

Hmm... top candidates for G1 are:

Tangela
Farfetch'd
Paras
Pinsir

I wanna say Tangela, because I like Farfetch'd ;_;

but Pinsir is a strong candidate because it's been overshadowed by Scyther ever since Gen 2.

DaBoss

I think Cherubi is the most forgettable Pokémon along with Cherim. Especially the latter since you will likely see it in the purple form.

Carvanha is probably behind (I had to Google the name by using Sharpedo).

Caladrius

Hmm... top candidates for G1 are:

Tangela
Farfetch'd
Paras
Pinsir

I wanna say Tangela, because I like Farfetch'd ;_;

but Pinsir is a strong candidate because it's been overshadowed by Scyther ever since Gen 2.

Pinsir fans live on through their resentment of Scizor.

It's hard to pick a gen 1 pokemon in particular but I'd say Golem, Fearow or
Farfetch'd

Man, I'm kinda getting the itch to play Pokemon again.

The problem is that my most recent game is Diamond, and I wasn't very happy with it. I beat it and everything, but it was the game where I realized I was finally tired of the same old formula that I had played since 1998. I've replayed Red/Blue, Gold/Silver, and Ruby/Sapphire to the point where I don't think I can do it again. The problem with Diamond is that I transferred all my good shit from my Ruby/Sapphire + FireRed games into it, so I'm stuck with this one precious save file. So no replaying Diamond.

I want to like Pokemon again. A couple years ago I played about an hour of Black version, and never touched it again because it still seemed like the same thing. I considered buying SoulSilver because the original Silver version is my favorite Pokemon game of all time, but I dunno — is it different enough from the original? I have replayed Gold (my Silver save was also too precious to erase, so I'd replay Gold) many times over the years, so I'm worried it might be too similar and then I'd just be bored. What about Black/White 2? Better than their prequels? This new XY generation looks kinda cool, but I don't have a 3DS.

Edit: Also, I can't be the only one who finds it hilarious that there's a big "no sexual images" warning at the top of the OP, which is directly followed by a picture of a girl popping her ass out with Arcanine giving her a "dat ass" look.

Neo Child

Banned
these are probably the most forgettable i guess

1st gen: parasect/venomoth
2nd gen: smeargle/stantler/remorade
3rd gen: gorebyess/huntail (didnt know these existed till far after completed pokemon sapphire) /masqerain
4th gen: hippopotas/snover/finneon
5th gen: vullaby/maractus/petilil/cottonee (petilil & cottonee's evolutions are awesome tho)

Firestorm

I know that feeling. Its why I never recommend buying the previous entry in the series when the next is so close to release. I skipped Generation 3 so I hadn't played a Pokemon game between 2001 or so until 2006. As a result, I absolutely loved Pearl. It had some nostalgic draw and it reminded me how great Pokemon can be when you aren't playing it every year.

I think XY is the way to go if you haven't had played in a while. It has been 7 years since Diamond. Get a 3DS when its on sale because youre gonna want one anyway! BW was fine but playing when everyone else is is a part of the experience for Pokemon IMO.

Caladrius

DUX is not unremarkable.

DO WE LOOK JAPANESE TO YOU SIR.

Man, I'm kinda getting the itch to play Pokemon again.

The problem is that my most recent game is Diamond, and I wasn't very happy with it. I beat it and everything, but it was the game where I realized I was finally tired of the same old formula that I had played since 1998. The other problem is that I transferred all my good shit from my Ruby/Sapphire + FireRed games into Diamond, so I'm stuck with this one precious save file.

I want to like Pokemon again. A couple years ago I played about an hour of Black version, and never touched it again because it still seemed like the same thing. I considered buying SoulSilver because the original Silver version is my favorite Pokemon game of all time, but I dunno — is it different enough from the original? I have replayed Gold (my Silver save was also too precious to erase, so I'd replay Gold) many times over the years, so I'm worried it might be too similar and then I'd just be bored. What about Black/White 2? Better than their prequels? This new XY generation looks kinda cool, but I don't have a 3DS.

HG and SS's differences are mostly in the mechanics changes and the postgame, if you're looking for something different they're really not going to be for you.

Black and White actually change up the endgame somewhat from their predecessors and don't feature any old pokemon until the postgame. BW2 are much more like the other games in the series but is a bit better paced and you have a much more diverse selection of pokemon (you can choose from about 200 from all generations before the postgame) Gen V overall is different mostly in the details as opposed to the execution. If you were looking for a dramatic change in direction you're going to be disappointed. I'd say give it a little longer before you jump back in.

Toxi

Banned
I don't think evolutions can ever count as "forgettable" unless all stages are forgettable, since by their nature they're connected. I also have a hard time considering Pokemon that are counterparts of each other (I.E. Seviper and Zangoose, Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee and Hitmontop) as forgettable if the counterpart isn't. Also, Luvdisc, Farfetch'd, Spinda, Delibird, and Luvdisc are all too terrible to be forgettable.

For each generation...

1. Mr. Mime
2. Corsola/Stantler/Dunsparce. This list would be a lot longer without Gen 4.
3. Surskit and Masquerain/Volbeat and Illumise. Roselia would be here without Gen 4.
4. Cherubi and Cherrim/Carnivine/Chatot/Burmy and Wormadam and whatever the fuck the male one is called. Wait, Mothim? Wow, how many fucking lepidopterans do we need? And you can tell the Pokemon is awful just by its name. Volcarona sounds awesome, so it's an awesome moth. Mothim sounds like somebody trying to make a Pokemon name out of the word "moth", so it's just a moth that doesn't do shit besides being a moth.
5. Maractus/Cryogonal (Helps that he's so difficult to find. 1% encounter rate except in one area during one season. Then it's 5%.)

Zeroth

It's funny (or sad) how there are certain pokemon that exist solely to be there. They are not useful on single player or multiplayer, yet they never stop showing up with each generation. Maybe mega evolutions can fix some.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I don't think evolutions can ever count as "forgettable" unless all stages are forgettable, since by their nature they're connected. I also have a hard time considering Pokemon that are counterparts of each other (I.E. Seviper and Zangoose, Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee and Hitmontop) as forgettable if the counterpart isn't. Also, Luvdisc, Farfetch'd, Spinda, Delibird, and Luvdisc are all too terrible to be forgettable.

For each generation...

1. Mr. Mime
2. Corsola/Stantler/Dunsparce. This list would be a lot longer without Gen 4.
3. Surskit and Masquerain/Volbeat and Illumise. Roselia would be here without Gen 4.
4. Cherubi and Cherrim/Carnivine/Chatot/Burmy and Wormadam and whatever the fuck the male one is called. Wait, Mothim? Wow, how many fucking lepidopterans do we need? And you can tell the Pokemon is awful just by its name. Volcarona sounds awesome, so it's an awesome moth. Mothim sounds like somebody trying to make a Pokemon name out of the word "moth", so it's just a moth that doesn't do shit besides being a moth.
5. Maractus/Cryogonal (Helps that he's so difficult to find. 1% encounter rate except in one area during one season. Then it's 5%.)

I don't know why, but I just can't forget Dunsparce. It's too memorable.

I think the only reason to remember Mr. Mime is because of the anime and/or TCG.

Anura

For me it would be something like
Gen 1: Mr mime/pinser/torous
Gen 2: corsola/stantler/octillery (but funnily not remoriad)
Gen 3: pluse/minun/volbear/illuminise/huntail/kecleon
Gen 4:carnivine/cherrim/cheruby/finneon/
Gen 5: Everything except haxorous and a few others are either forgettable or hideous
For me chatot gets saved from this list because I can make his cry into a loud obnoxious scream.

Gen 4 was the first time I actually started disliking designs before that they were always good enough for me to just be indifferent. In gen V everything was like how drapion was for me in gen 4; the concept and/or pre-evo makes me want to like it but everything else is just ugly as sin

DaBoss

Gorebyss and Huntail are definitely forgettable...if it weren't for the fact that they were the last two Pokémon for me to complete the national dex.

Toxi

Banned
I'm unable to forget Tauros because it improbably is the best Pokemon in Gen 1 (w/ Mew and Mewtwo banned, obviously). Not Alakazam, not Starmie, not Zapdos, Tauros.

Also, if we're just going to complain about the various generations of Pokemon, Gen 2 and 4 suck. Too many evolutions and pre-evos of existing Pokemon, not enough interesting new ideas. Plus, Johto Pokemon distribution was ass, and Diamond/Pearl distribution was "LOL fire types".

Firestorm

I personally love evolutions of previous Pokemon. New spins on existing concepts is great. Gives me something new with a bit of nostalgia chucked in!

And yeah, aside from Tauros being amazing in RBY it also is the elusive mon you went after in the Safari Zone.

Top Bottom