• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Firestorm

Or, they'd want the new mechanics they've created for showing off the bond of you and your Pokémon to actually make an impact
Which is why nobody is disputing its part in single player which is what the majority of players will spend the most time with. However, being able to calculate what you can and can't KO is a fundamental part of Pokemon and having an x% chance of not KOing on every Pokemon as an innate ability would really dilute the experience. Considering the amount of work Game Freak puts into its multiplayer mode, this is something anyone who follows the competitive side of the game can safely say won't be included.

JoeM86

Which is why nobody is disputing its part in single player which is what the majority of players will spend the most time with. However, being able to calculate what you can and can't KO is a fundamental part of Pokemon and having an x% chance of not KOing on every Pokemon as an innate ability would really dilute the experience. Considering the amount of work Game Freak puts into its multiplayer mode, this is something anyone who follows the competitive side of the game can safely say won't be included.

Then I'd prepare yourself for the worst, if I were you...

Almost as if this is the first random chance thing you have ever encountered in the games. It's not as if moves have random chances of secondary effects, or critical hits, or missing...

You're basing your conclusion on hopes and predetermined views on what the multiplayer is, not what it is going to be. There's no reason to assume they're not going to include their cool new mechanic into it.

Or, they'd want the new mechanics they've created for showing off the bond of you and your Pokémon to actually make an impact

And it will, ingame and in an isolated game mode online. Just like how it has happened with previous new mechanics and even battle types.

EDIT: This is why I'd say you're quite casual. You have zero regard for what is beneficial to the competitive nature of the game. Advocating innate focus band is really quite...wow.

JoeM86

And it will, ingame and in an isolated game mode online. Just like how it has happened with previous new mechanics and even battle types.

EDIT: This is why I'd say you're quite casual. You have zero regard for what is beneficial to the competitive nature of the game. Advocating innate focus band is really quite...wow.

I am far from casual, I can just see the bigger picture.

Firestorm

Then I'd prepare yourself for the worst, if I were you...

Almost as if this is the first random chance thing you have ever encountered in the games. It's not as if moves have random chances of secondary effects, or critical hits, or missing...

You're basing your conclusion on hopes and predetermined views on what the multiplayer is, not what it is going to be. There's no reason to assume they're not going to include their cool new mechanic into it.
You didn't read my post correctly. Please read it again. Not all random chances are created equal.

My conclusion isn't based on any "hopes" as you put it. My conclusion is based on watching the evolution of the battle system over 17 years. If you can't see why this wouldn't be something Game Freak would do, you're either missing a lot or have a low opinion on the designers there.

Then where and how in this big picture is something like an innate focus band beneficial for anything outside of in-game gameplay or specific game modes?
Or is your reasoning more along the lines of, "they have been advertising this feature like crazy so they'll shove it into everything"?

JoeM86

You didn't read my post correctly. Please read it again. Not all random chances are created equal.

My conclusion isn't based on any "hopes" as you put it. My conclusion is based on watching the evolution of the battle system over 17 years. If you can't see why this wouldn't be something Game Freak would do, you're either missing a lot or have a low opinion on the designers there.

I read your post quite correctly, you clearly are just trying to evoke a reaction from me, as you have been doing over the past week just because I don't conform to your view.

You're not advocating evolution, though. You're advocating stagnation. Here, they have introduced a cool new mechanic which allows you to actually train your Pokémon and bond with them rather than treat them as tools, which has an effect on battle. They're not going to make an entire feature such as this and then choose to not include it just to appease the small competitive circuit. Saying that they would is missing a lot and/or having a low opinion of the designers there.

Seil

I'm not really on either side at this point. It's not like we know much about the mechanic. It may not be a system of generic random chance events. That's certainly possible, but there's no telling. It could be a more tailored system that makes it just another factor to consider like abilities and items for all we know. I doubt it, but it's possible.

I trust they'll make a good decision. If they think they've balanced this mechanic enough for it to be a part of the competitive scene, then we'll have to adapt. The metagame revolves around their decisions rather than the other way around, after all.

I felt fairly adamant that a new type, let alone a "fairy" type wasn't going to happen, but here we are. And I found myself quite fond of it when it was revealed, honestly. So I'm just going to go along for the ride and see how everything works out.

I read your post quite correctly, you clearly are just trying to evoke a reaction from me, as you have been doing over the past week just because I don't conform to your view.

You're not advocating evolution, though. You're advocating stagnation. Here, they have introduced a cool new mechanic which allows you to actually train your Pokémon and bond with them rather than treat them as tools, which has an effect on battle. They're not going to make an entire feature such as this and then choose to not include it just to appease the small competitive circuit. Saying that they would is missing a lot and/or having a low opinion of the designers there.

Joe, I love you man, I really do, but seriously?
171.jpg

Firestorm

If you did read my post correctly, then you're just disagreeing with me to disagree.

I'll respond to your ridiculous second paragraph before going to bed though.Evolution comes in more ways than just throwing in random new mechanics. The gameplay of Pokemon has evolved steadily from the first generation on. Just because they had cool little things to bond with your Pokemon doesn't mean they had an effect on multiplayer battling (Contests, Musicals, etc).

You seem to misunderstand your own words when you say "small competitive circuit." Most people don't play online with their games. They play single player. They beat the Elite Four. They try to catch Pokemon. They do this for 20+ hours. It is not a waste to develop new systems for these players to interact with and that's exactly what this effect would do.

The other bits of Pokemon-Amie are a great addition to competitive play as they make a very important part of competitive battling a little more visible to the player breaking down one of the barriers for entry. I still disagree that Pokemon-amie magically helps you bond with your Pokemon but I'll save that for another day. What helps me feel closer to my digital pocket monsters are the experiences I have with them. Not the shitty minigames I need to grind for them.

JoeM86

If you did read my post correctly, then you're just disagreeing with me to disagree.

I'll respond to your ridiculous second paragraph before going to bed though.Evolution comes in more ways than just throwing in random new mechanics. The gameplay of Pokemon has evolved steadily from the first generation on. Just because they had cool little things to bond with your Pokemon doesn't mean they had an effect on multiplayer battling (Contests, Musicals, etc).

You seem to misunderstand your own words when you say "small competitive circuit." Most people don't play online with their games. They play single player. They beat the Elite Four. They try to catch Pokemon. They do this for 20+ hours. It is not a waste to develop new systems for these players to interact with and that's exactly what this effect would do.

The other bits of Pokemon-Amie are a great addition to competitive play as they make a very important part of competitive battling a little more visible to the player breaking down one of the barriers for entry. I still disagree that Pokemon-amie magically helps you bond with your Pokemon but I'll save that for another day. What helps me feel closer to my digital pocket monsters are the experiences I have with them. Not the shitty minigames I need to grind for them.

I'm not disagreeing just to disagree. I'm disagreeing because I disagree.

Contests and Musicals are different. This actually has a fundamental effect on the battle system. Again, I don't see them implementing these changes and then deciding to shun them in the multiplayer mode.

Who said anything about battling online solely? You clearly don't understand the market of Pokémon if you believe that's the only form of multiplayer. Yes, people play the single player, but then they go and battle their friends. Maybe online, maybe local. It's only natural and is a massive part of why the game is actually big.

Also, what part of Pokémon Amie do you find as a great addition to competitive battling? The bit being visible is Super Training for Effort Values which is separate from Pokémon Amie. It's not known if the happiness stat in Pokémon Amie is identical to the one we've had in the past.

Joe, I love you man, I really do, but seriously?

I just disagree with this, and I don't like attempts and condescension from people just because I disagree. It's like when he randomly took potshots at my site the other day. It's unjustified and he's clearly attempting to start things, which isn't nice.

All I've been trying to say here is that there is no reason to think they wouldn't include it, until we get confirmation either way.

Anyway, I'm done since I don't want to be banned and this, like all competitive discussions, will just go in circles.

I'm just fairly sure they will give the player the option because as for now it seems as tacked on as the battle mode with items.
I will reserve judgment until all details are known.

All I'm trying to say is that in the event that it's mandatory for every type off battle and completely random, you might just as well go roll some dice instead of battle.

Contests and Musicals are different. This actually has a fundamental effect on the battle system. Again, I don't see them implementing these changes and then deciding to shun them in the multiplayer mode.

Who said anything about battling online solely? You clearly don't understand the market of Pokémon if you believe that's the only form of multiplayer. Yes, people play the single player, but then they go and battle their friends. Maybe online, maybe local. It's only natural and is a massive part of why the game is actually big.

Also, what part of Pokémon Amie do you find as a great addition to competitive battling? The bit being visible is Super Training for Effort Values which is separate from Pokémon Amie. It's not known if the happiness stat in Pokémon Amie is identical to the one we've had in the past.

I just disagree with this, and I don't like attempts and condescension from people just because I disagree. It's like when he randomly took potshots at my site the other day. It's unjustified and he's clearly attempting to start things, which isn't nice.

All I've been trying to say here is that there is no reason to think they wouldn't include it, until we get confirmation either way.

Anyway, I'm done since I don't want to be banned and this, like all competitive discussions, will just go in circles.
Yes, I know he takes dumb potshots at you all the time. But on this particular thing I think he is right.

Macka

Step back for a minute. Read this again. Do you realise how much of a douche it makes you sound? Also:
I just disagree with this, and I don't like attempts and condescension from people just because I disagree.
YOU ARE DOING THE SAME THING. This isn't the first time I've seen you act condescending and like you are some sort of authority on Pokemon. Just because you run a Pokemon website does not mean you have the 'correct' opinion of where the series should go...and, to be honest, every time competitive battling is discussed your opinions make it clear you don't really know what needs to happen for it to be improved. Competitive battling is unbalanced as hell in its current state. There may be a mode that does allow bonding mechanics but I'm sure the standard one will be without.

Anyway, I actually quite like this for in-game playthroughs. Nice motivation to use the Amie feature.

JoeM86

Step back for a minute. Read this again. Do you realise how much of a douche it makes you sound? Also:

YOU ARE DOING THE SAME THING. This isn't the first time I've seen you act condescending and like you are some sort of authority on Pokemon. Just because you run a Pokemon website does not mean you have the 'correct' opinion of where the series should go...and, to be honest, every time competitive battling is discussed your opinions make it clear you don't really know what needs to happen for it to be improved. Competitive battling is unbalanced as hell in its current state. There may be a mode that does allow bonding mechanics but I'm sure the standard one will be without.

Anyway, I actually quite like this for in-game playthroughs. Nice motivation to use the Amie feature.

I never said I did have the correct opinion. All I have been saying is that it's illogical and irrational to assume it won't be included.

The only competitive stuff I have mentioned here is my disdain for RNG manipulation and a note about this. It's hardly like I'm trying to change how people see it. Please do not put words in my mouth.

Nor have I attempted to condescend anybody.

In this video we have Sylveon using Fairy Wind on Exeggutor and it appears to do normal damage. Not not very effective damage as would be expected from going by the leaked type match-ups. It's in Italian so I'm not 100% sure of what it says but it doesn't seem to display any "It's not very effective" text.

http://youtu.be/s55A51TUq84?t=3m57s

(Ignore if old)

Seil

In this video we have Sylveon using Fairy Wind on Exeggutor and it appears to do normal damage. Not not very effective damage as would be expected from going by the leaked type match-ups. It's in Italian so I'm not 100% sure of what it says but it doesn't seem to display any "It's not very effective" text.

(Ignore if old)

It just says that it's out of energy/fainted. The effectiveness text is separate and doesn't appear, so it's either neutral to psychic or it's strong against grass and they cancel each other out. I've not seen Fairy Wind used on Chespin or anything, so I'm not sure. I doubt they would give Grass yet another weakness, though. I hope not anyway.

Edit: Apparently it was confirmed to be neutral to grass. So, neutral to psychic as well it would seem.

(Ignore if old)
It means the same thing as "The wild Exeggutor fainted!"

Now, this means either:

1. Fairy does normal damage to Psychic
2. Fairy is NVE against Psychic, and is SE against Grass.

edit: Ack, beaten

I'm slightly more inclined to think that there's at least a mode to turn the effects of Pokemon Amie off in competitive battles. We've seen 2 or 3 PvP battles so far, and I don't think any of those effects happened in them.

Hey guys, what's the least complicated Pokemon for the DS. I"m going to attempt playing in Japanese (a language which I'm studying), so I"m looking for the game to be easy to pick up.
I haven't played any Pokemon games.

Thanks.

Hey guys, what's the least complicated Pokemon for the DS. I"m going to attempt playing in Japanese (a language which I'm studying), so I"m looking for the game to be easy to pick up.
I haven't played any Pokemon games.

Thanks.

Any main series game would do I think. They are all designed to be easy to pick up, hard to master.
Some(?) of them have a no Kanji mode, if that would be helpful you might want to look into that.

I would say pick up Black/White (or Black 2/White 2), since those are the only ones so far which have an option to do mixed kanji and kana (though no furigana).

backlot

I don't understand how you can complain about people being condescending towards you then turn around and say something condescending like that in the same post.

I would say pick up Black/White (or Black 2/White 2), since those are the only ones so far which have an option to do mixed kanji and kana (though no furigana).

Do none of them have furigana? And can I change the option on the fly, so I can check the reading for some words?

Thanks!

Kyzer

Banned
Part of Pokemons depth as a game is its vast multiplayer functionality and theyve clearly put a lot of work into the hardcore aspect of it, from the evolution of the EV system to breeding IVs, etc., so I am also skeptical that they would add such a luck based equalizing mechanic like the bonds to online battles,but I can see what Joe is saying as a distinct possibility too. For all we know they could betray their hardcore base Smash Bros. Brawl style and make this a main mechanic of battling, and there would obviously be a huge backlash but who knows if its for the better. Id give it a shot, for sure. I half expect it now because no highly anticipated nintendo release comes out without some kind of dramatic turn of events these days.

Toxi

Banned
Wow, Pokemon Amie Focus Band would be annoying if Implemented online.

I'm okay with the idea in single-player, but "The opponent's Terrakion held on because of its friendship with its trainer" is a recipe for disaster. Thankfully, Gamefreak tends to be smart with that sort of stuff.

Also, I'm surprised there are wild Eggxecutor.

qq more

I've had the game for almost a week yet and I'm only 30-ish% into the story. The sheer amount of collectibles, side distractions and dicking around that you can do extend the game's length exponentially.
I played SR3 to the point I 100%ed it. Loved nearly every moment of that game. Soooo fun, I was sad that I 100%ed it... Super glad to hear about SR4's length.

You can't erase it, it is a part of you now. You must embrace it.
*ZANDATSU SELF*

Top Bottom