• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

I guess I was just being paranoid with the "this Pokeyman is for 3DS will it play in my 2DS" nonsense.

They put I nice big square icon on the packaging of the 2DS that says "Plays all DS and 3DS games" and I wouldn't be surprised if that message is in every bit of advertising for the 2DS. It should be a non-issue.

DaBoss

Now think about this (saw this mentioned in the other thread and am dumbfounded at how stupid Nintendo was with the naming):

"Where are the Nintendo 2DS games? I only see Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS games."

"Why did you buy a 2DS when the 3DS is out?"

EDIT: Yea there is a sticker, but the questions will be there regardless.
360PXfh.jpg

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I am fearing XY will get less sales due to that :(

Naw, it wouldn't.

Now people can afford second "3DS (aka 2DS)" so they were able to trade between X and Y.

Now think about this (saw this mentioned in the other thread and am dumbfounded at how stupid Nintendo was with the naming):

"Where are the Nintendo 2DS games? I only see Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS games."

Yeah, they should named it 3DS Mini and put a sticker on the box to claim that It don't have 3DS function.

Toxi

Banned
I wouldn't mind it in minute places where it made sense. For example Lunatone + Solrock = Ecrynox with Psychic/Dark-typing or something. Or maybe a buttload of Shuppet / Banette to evolve it into some spooky Ghost/Dark-typed thing named Fantocini.
If Banette gets an evolution, it should be a gimp-suited marionette with the arms restrained by the strings. Banette might be a doll, but its zippered mouth and emphasis on pain attacks are BDSM references. Ghost/Dark is a decent typing, especially since an evolution would focus on offensive stats (Differing from the other Ghost/Dark Pokemon we have).

Its ability would be a speed version of Intimidate to compensate for the Pokemon's somewhat slow speed and fit the restraining flavor.

If Banette gets an evolution, it should be a gimp-suited marionette with the arms restrained by the strings. Banette might be a doll, but its zippered mouth and emphasis on pain attacks are BDSM references. Ghost/Dark is a decent typing, especially since an evolution would focus on offensive stats (Differing from the other Ghost/Dark Pokemon we have).

Its ability would be a speed version of Intimidate to compensate for the Pokemon's somewhat slow speed and fit the restraining flavor.

Something tells me Gamefreak would never make a Pokemon like that...

EDIT: Yea there is a sticker, but the questions will be there regardless.
http://i.imgur.com/360PXfh.jpg?1[IMG][/QUOTE]
"The 2DS is the 3DS in 2D, plays all DS/3DS games". That's all, really.

And as for the "why 2DS when 3DS", well you have people who'd still buy the DS when the 3DS is out, so there's that.

Also for the name, it's tricky but I don't see why it should still be called "3DS" when it doesn't have 3D. That would be even more troublesome: "But it has 3D in the name, so why doesn't it do 3D?"

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Like this?

tumblr_mksylr4T6v1rjg5dbo1_500.gif

DaBoss

And as for the "why 2DS when 3DS", well you have people who'd still buy the DS when the 3DS is out, so there's that.

Also for the name, it's tricky but I don't see why it should still be called "3DS" when it doesn't have 3D. That would be even more troublesome: "But it has 3D in the name, so why doesn't it do 3D?"

That's true. I guess it is a double-edged sword. I'm just glad this shows that Nintendo realize that making 3D the main selling point is a mistake.

Also in the reveal video they made it very clear that the 2DS plays all 3DS and DS games, this will probably be very apparent in all the advertising for the 2DS.

Kyzer

Banned
Why would it hurt sales? Like I was gonna buy Pokemon X/Y but now the 2DS is out, nvm.

WHERE TF IS THE POKEMON LE XL NOA>?

Firestorm

I could see this being the DS lite moment of the 3DS. I don't think it will help the 3DS move out of the DS's shadow in terms of sales, but it should definitely help it surpass the GBA.
Also it looks like a GBA and a 3DS had a baby.
This is definitely not the DS Lite moment of the 3DS. The DS Lite was a lighter, smaller, sleeker, brighter version of the DS. It was the Apple version of the DS. The DS Lite appealed to everyone and was superior to the original DS. This is the Fisher Price version of the 3DS.

This is definitely not the DS Lite moment of the 3DS. The DS Lite was a lighter, smaller, sleeker, brighter version of the DS. It was the Apple version of the DS. The DS Lite appealed to everyone and was superior to the original DS. This is the Fisher Price version of the 3DS.

Good job reading there bud, I didn't say it is the DS lite of the 3DS, just the moment in that this could help the 3DS's sales since it is still tracking behind the DS and GBA. It being a budget handheld means it will go over well with kids. The 3DS does well with teens and adults but has largely lost it's massive child demographic. They outright said the purpose of this system was for the 6 and under demographic.

What are the chances that the 2DS turns into another "GBA Micro"?

Anyways, is that a nose or a mouth on Flabebe's face?

The Gameboy Micro was a send off, the 3DS is still young, this is just meant to boost sales and grab the 6 and under demographic. It isn't for us so we shouldn't really complain.

Firestorm

Good job reading there bud, I didn't say it is the DS lite of the 3DS, just the moment in that this could help the 3DS's sales since it is still tracking behind the DS and GBA. It being a budget handheld means it will go over well with kids. The 3DS does well with teens and adults but has largely lost it's massive child demographic. They outright said the purpose of this system was for the 6 and under demographic.
You literally said "DS Lite moment of the 3DS."

What are the chances that the 2DS turns into another "GBA Micro"?
If you mean nobody buys it, I think there's a decent chance. It honestly looks so unappealing... Not sure about the US but don't know how well this product will do considering the 3DS has been $139.99 in Canada on almost a monthly basis for a while now. You could get the 3DS for $99.99 before and the XL for $159.99 at least a few times in the past few months.

Micro at least had a niche afterwards due to its insane pixel density! I wish I picked one up when they were being cleared out for $29.99 :(

JoeM86

Most people will get a 3DS or a 3DS XL for X & Y. However, you do need to consider that this is a cheaper alternative, making it a better option for parents to get their kids, especially in this economic climate. It also helps remove the stigma that was made by various media outlets regarding the stereoscopic 3D effect.

The 2DS is no more or less a console than its brethren. It has the exact same features barring the stereoscopic 3D. Nobody should be looked down upon for getting one.

This will seriously help X & Y sales.

JoeM86

So, a friend pointed me to a bit of merchandise earlier, officially licensed. I'm sure it means nothing but what do you notice on this?
Certainly interesting since it was scrapped 10 years ago. If they're bringing it back...

Keyouta

So, a friend pointed me to a bit of merchandise earlier, officially licensed. I'm sure it means nothing but what do you notice on this?

Certainly interesting since it was scrapped 10 years ago. If they're bringing it back...

Hopefully there will be a large amount of Pokemon available on the two games. It sure seems that way with the videos currently released.

JoeM86

I do wonder. Has this appeared on any merchandise since it disappeared in 2003, or is this totally new? I haven't really kept up with merchandise like this

Caladrius

I do wonder. Has this appeared on any merchandise since it disappeared in 2003, or is this totally new? I haven't really kept up with merchandise like this

I've seen it once or twice but I think that may have been the late years of Gen III. I haven't seen it on any HG/SS or Gen V merchandise.

Firestorm

I wouldn't read much into it. I think it has more to do with how the games will be marketed than how they'll be designed. Though every reveal makes me think the games are very obviously trying to appeal to the lapsed Pokemon player.

I could swear they left that slogan behind around G3, haven't seen official mention of it since.

I suspect there will be no trace of it on the game box though - 700+ is a tall order lol

Slermy

Isn't that also a new treatment of the X and Y logo? I haven't noticed that else yet (but I haven't really been looking either).

I hope I'm wrong, but I am getting the feeling that we won't be able to import pokémon though. If you can catch all them already...

LNBL

If the new 2DS is bundled with Pokemon YX I would buy it for my brother, seems possible due to the release date of both.

Aggrotek

Isn't that also a new treatment of the X and Y logo? I haven't noticed that else yet (but I haven't really been looking either).

I hope I'm wrong, but I am getting the feeling that we won't be able to import pokémon though. If you can catch all them already...

I like the look of the X/Y there better than on the game box.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I just put this together but this is what X/Y's release looks like for Americans:

12 am midnight saturday release on the eshop/any 24 hour store you can convince to sell it to you.

Monday is Columbus day. A complete 3 day weekend to enjoy the game. Great planning!

I just put this together but this is what X/Y's release looks like for Americans:

12 am midnight saturday release on the eshop/any 24 hour store you can convince to sell it to you.

Monday is Columbus day. A complete 3 day weekend to enjoy the game. Great planning!

Columbus Day, the day we all celebrate a horrible and cruel slaver who didn't actually discover America because it was discovered long before him.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's also a very popular holiday for various unions to negotiate their way out of having for an extra day around Christmas. Tons of them love to work on that day because it really does feel like a weird time to take a day off.

Firestorm

Oh wow I completely missed that X and Y were coming out on Thanksgiving weekend. That's kinda crappy for receiving the game through online orders.

Top Bottom