• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Because Volcarona has really great moveset, something that puts the zard to shame.

Maybe if Zard can dance with quivers.

Nobody gives a damn about Ninetales' horrendously poor moveset. They will similarly not give a damn about DroughtZard, since he will probably be superior to Ninetales in the majority of situations.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Nobody gives a damn about Ninetales' horrendously poor moveset. They will similarly not give a damn about DroughtZard, since he will probably be superior to Ninetales in the majority of situations.

Except for Ninetales being able to hold an item to outlast / troll :p

Like I said, Zard would probably die before it can activate weather, and it would probably be easily overridden due to predictability.

Aggrotek

Not necessarily. A leading Charizard is sending it to the death trap because everyone and their mother carries Stone Edge or Rockslide, hell even Thunder. And this Megazard lacks a held item to keep itself alive.

Charizard gets a boosted Special Attack when mega, which means you can invest heavily in defenses and still retain really good Sp Atk. Especially with stab fire in drought.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Except for Ninetales being able to hold an item to outlast / troll :p

Like I said, Zard would probably die before it can activate weather, and it would probably be easily overridden due to predictability.

I'll put a pound on DroughtZard reaching OU, provided that no other superior Drought users are introduced and provided that sun in general, irrespective of DroughtZard, remains a viable team strategy.

PK Gaming

Don't forget though, Ninetales can immediately activate Drought upon switching in, while Charizard needs to attack. I'm guessing protect might be a popular move option for mega charizard, heh.

un1que

Hey there, i've never played a pokemon game and after seeing some of the footage from X & Y i'm thinking of giving it a go.

I was thinking of starting from black or white.

which is best to start with or should I start with one of the earlier games?

zroid

Banned
Hey there, i've never played a pokemon game and after seeing some of the footage from X & Y i'm thinking of giving it a go.

honestly... you should probably just start from X/Y. Not much reason to go back. It'll be fun to play from day 1 with the rest of PokéGAF anyway. Black and White are good starting points, though.

Quest1

Don't forget though, Ninetales can immediately activate Drought upon switching in, while Charizard needs to attack. I'm guessing protect might be a popular move option for mega charizard, heh.

Lead with Zard, activate mega, use protect. Now you have mega Zard in the sun. Better than hold item + ninetales?

Seil

Black and White were basically designed for a fresh experience, but I'm also going to say you might be best off just waiting for X & Y.

Pokemon isn't particularly hard to get into(not counting competitive play) and since there are people that have started in every generation thus far, you shouldn't be worried about starting in Gen VI. Also, there's so much changing from graphics to Mega Evolutions and even a whole new type that it'll feel pretty fresh for everyone. So jumping on here could be a fun experience.

If you're feeling too impatient to wait a month, though, Black and White or their sequels are certainly good choices.

PK Gaming

Lead with Zard, activate mega, use protect. Now you have mega Zard in the sun. Better than hold item + ninetales?

I don't think so. Charizard is still vulnerable to Stealth Rock and the other weather users (Tyranitar, Hippowdon, Politoed) are pretty durable so i'm pretty sure they'll outlast it.

Charizard is definitely better offensively though.

un1que

Cheers Zeer0id and Sell. That's helped me relax a bit. Hate to think i'd be missing out on something that'd be important in the new games.

Anura

Oh no, you have to play the best game in the series! ;)

Worst version. Bad overworld map, less pokemon without trading up/gimmicks, no old favorite's until you beat the E4 (and if you hated gen V pokemon this is just awful) and not all that much post game content

Luckily white 2 fixed most of this stuff

Worst version. Bad overworld map, less pokemon without trading up/gimmicks, no old favorite's until you beat the E4 (and if you hated gen V pokemon this is just awful) and not all that much post game content

Luckily white 2 fixed most of this stuff

If you want to go down this path, I could easily explain how each and every game in the series is respectively the worst, but I don't think you want to go down this path. I'm not hating on your favourites, so there's no need to hate on mine.

Anywho, what do PokéGAF's resident Zard fans think of the MegaZard? I like it a lot, myself. It looks like an awesome union between the Zard and Reshiram.

Anura

If you want to go down this path, I could easily explain how each and every game in the series is respectively the worst, but I don't think you want to go down this path. I'm not hating on your favourites, so there's no need to hate on mine.

Anywho, what do PokéGAF's resident Zard fans think of the MegaZard? I like it a lot, myself. It looks like an awesome union between the Zard and Reshiram.

Gen V isn't bad (I just don't like the designs) I just think white 1 is bad

White/black 2 are great

I think White is a better experience than White 2 myself. I used to think otherwise, but then I replayed White and realized how much more I enjoyed the main quest and new additions.

It's not just my opinion either; most critics and people I know personally scored BW1 higher than their sequels, with the exception of IGN's megafan reviewer who gave them a 9.6 due to their advancements in the competitive field.

Anura

I think White is a better experience than White 2 myself. I used to think otherwise, but then I replayed White and realized how much more I enjoyed the main quest and new additions.

It's not just my opinion either; most critics and people I know personally scored BW1 higher than their sequels, with the exception of IGN's megafan reviewer who gave them a 9.6 due to their advancements in the competitive field.

That's absolutely bizzare to me... Coming off platinum/hear gold/ soul silver it felt so much the same without changing much up even if it did switch up the story a bit but that's the bit that most don't really care about

So while not having that new novelty it also felt like a poorer experience with less to see and do overall

I respect your opinion but again it's just bizarre to me

Aggrotek

Charizard
Trait: Drought
@Mega Stone
EVs: 218 Def / 200 SDef / 90 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Roost
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

How would this look?

qq more

In speaking of BW2:

Roxie.png

Really really proud of how this turned out. Hope it animates very well.

Requests:
Gold (Gen 2)
Red (Gen 1)
Grimsley
Koga
Drake
Claire
Korrina
Roxie

Free Request Slots: 5

zroid

Banned
so this is going to be the first ever regional dex to contain two sets of three starters

that's pretty rad.

in fact, maybe Torchic will be there too? Considering they're giving it to us on day 1. Maybe it'll be #000 in the Kalos dex a la Victini, lol.

Busaiku

I still can't help but feel the number of new Pokemon is gonna be severely limited, with Megas taking up most of the spots.

Anura

so this is going to be the first ever regional dex to contain two sets of three starters

that's pretty rad.

in fact, maybe Torchic will be there too? Considering they're giving it to us on day 1. Maybe it'll be #000 in the Kalos dex a la Victini, lol.

Dang I never thought of that! Wow that is pretty rad

that's pretty rad.

The Johto Dex included the Kanto starters too.

zroid

Banned
I think, based on how the numbering is usually handled, it would make most sense to put the Kanto set immediately after the Kalos set. #s 10-18

blamite

Oh no, you have to play the best game in the series! ;)

I just can't stand all the Team Plasma stuff. All the really dense story stuff is so much more intrusive than it was in any of the previous games and it really turns me off. That kind of thing isn't what I play these games for at all, so the fact that it's such a constant interruption is pretty obnoxious to me.

It seems like that stuff will be toned down a decent amount in X/Y though, so I'm glad about that.

Anura

Pokegaf can I just talk about how I proud I would be if froakey turns out to be a lanky looking speedster? I mean when you think about traits to exaggerate on frogs you tend to think of frogs that are already exaggerated, and most of those look fat and sloth like. The American bullfrog, the African bullfrog, the spade foot toads, tomato frogs, etc etc... But a lot of frog based designs go for fat and you do have some truely amazing and bizzare anurans to base it off of just look at the crucifix frog

But I have to give props if gamefreak foes in the opposite direction and gives lanky frogs some attention heck the hylidae family of frogs (tree frogs) has some truly great looking frogs and long frogs and when they perch themselves on a branch it almost looks like an assassin looming over the foe for a sneaky deathblow

Heck the beautiful rainbow toad is one of the few animals with the Lazarus taxon distinction and its super lanky. And boy it sure is beautiful!

Edit: having trouble finding a good image of the rainbow toad on my phone...

I'm imagining a Mega-Evolve -> Solar Beam combo for Charizard. Since switching might still go first, even if they swap a weather inducer on the turn Charizard mega-evolves, you'll still get your sun.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm imagining a Mega-Evolve -> Solar Beam combo for Charizard. Since switching might still go first, even if they swap a weather inducer on the turn Charizard mega-evolves, you'll still get your sun.

That's the first thing I thought of and with the SpAttack boost it means he doesn't need to be afraid of water and rock types anymore. He's going to make a hell of a special sweeper.

Seibmoz

Question does anyone know how soon I can trade/transfer my pokemon from soul silver to white 2? Really want my Raichu from FireRed to be with me in X/Y :)

Caladrius

So does Mega Blastoise really not use any of his cannons? A friend at work mentioned that even though he's got 3 cannons, he still uses his mouth.

The cannons are there to throw enemies off so they look at where the cannon is aiming instead of where Blastoise is looking. Floors 'em every time.

Top Bottom