• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I don't have that much faith in Game Freak.

Their improvements in the battle aspects are pretty good even if we simply use Gen 5. At the very least, even if you don't like their non-battle stuff, their updates in stuff like Sturdy and Multiscale are amazing.

So is Venusaur. Charizard is the real Kanto starter. All bow to your new overlord.

Thick Fat = defensive wall.

Only good megazard has is "timed" droughts, and that's assuming you can make it last long enough in play lol

So is Venusaur. Charizard is the real Kanto starter. All bow to your new overlord.

Oh-Wait-Your-Serious-Let-Me-Laugh-Even-Harder-On-Futurama.gif

Mega Venusaur loses his weaknesses to Fire and Ice and both of his defensive stats get boosts. He will be an amazing wall.

Boss Doggie

Psychic attacks are gimped anyway. Only SE vs Fighting and Poison, both of which are weak to other types that have more coverage.

Firestorm

If Mega Evolution is restricted to one 'mon per battle, I'd have a tough time dedicating it to a defensive Grass / Poison type with no access to an item, Rage Powder, or Spore. Move issues might be fixed in Gen 6 but the rest aren't.

Charizard may have an unfortunate weakness to Rock Slide, but Drought's at least worth your Mega slot (especially with how bad Ninetales is). Heat Wave with boosted SpAtk is a good advantage. Especially as I think they're going to make it faster based on the design.
You mean like how stealth rock still exists? Venusaur already has a pretty high special defense stat and now that gets a boost.
Stealth Rock is irrelevant outside the custom formats on Smogon and Pokemon Online. On GBU and official tournaments, you'd be wasting your turn using it.

And so it begins...
I just got a video ad for X and Y on Youtube.

Stealth Rock is irrelevant outside the custom formats on Smogon and Pokemon Online. On GBU and official tournaments, you'd be wasting your turn using it.
I'm not really a huge fan of double battles, I prefer single battles.

Firestorm

By the way Firestorm, since you are pretty knowledgeable about the official tournaments, why are they Double Battles?
I'd say a mix of them being faster to complete, having the most balance-testing done (along with 3v3 singles), and being more interesting from a strategy/spectator perspective. I'd say the importance is in that order too.

Toxi

Banned
Psychic-types still exist, you know.
...he still has trouble against any decent Psychic-type.

And your attempted hand-waving is pathetic.
Psychic type attacks are generally considered mediocre. The only common type they hit for super-effective damage is Fighting, and they're not very effective against Steel. Psychic type Pokemon can be considered good, but it's usually due to other factors like Magic Bounce.

Although at least they're more common than Flying attacks.

Yeah, I'd still prefer Chlorophyll Venusaur.
Get a Chlorophyll Venusaur with a Mega Stone and evolve it when you lose the weather war for a more relevant ability. Seems like a decent solution to me for versatility, although you won't get the sheer attacking or tanking power of either one.

Boss Doggie

And your attempted hand-waving is pathetic.

What handwaving? Especially when Psychic attacks are less visible vs. Bug/Flying/Fire/Ground/Rock/Ice...

And calling me pathetic even. Makes me wonder how much you do play...

By the way, Psychic types aren't too big of a deal since Pursuit exists.

Sucker Punch too.

Seriously, there's a reason why people say Psychic types are actually considered weakened.

If Poison become more common because of the introduction to Fairy, it could lead to a resurgence of Psychic types. Which means more Dark types. Who are beaten by Fighting.

Boss Doggie

If Poison become more common because of the introduction to Fairy, it could lead to a resurgence of Psychic types. Which means more Dark types. Who are beaten by Fighting.

But Poison types already have a bane. It's called Ground type (offensively) and Steel type (defensively).

If the rumors are true that it's also weak to Steel, then most prevalent Steel types will enjoy their STAB Steel moves as well.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The Pulse Moves are all "Hadou" in Japan (the same thing they call Aura, Lucario's powers, so it's weird he didn't learn it), so Aura Sphere might count...but the other moves are X Hadou, while it's Hadoudan.

Kyzer

Banned
Wait is psychic not SE against grass as well as poison? My life is a lie...

Also, I think you guys are underestimating Megastoise. If it is a 50% hell be one of the most versatile pokemon of all time, kanye style. Hes already got great def and his sp atk would become, well, useable.

Boss Doggie

I just find it weird that they didn't specify what stats are boosted for Mega Blastoise (normally they mention it). I reckon they're offenses though.

I believe that at least there'll be some kind of useful thing that comes with them for the most part, though I have a feeling that no one will bother with them Mega stuff.

Introducing new types can be hilarious if done wrong.

J. Bravo

I'm sure it's been discussed already, but what starters are you guys picking? Personally, I'm going with Froakie, and then grabbing Charmander. Droughtzard could be devastating, if mega evolutions are allowed in the metagame (even though he's still the shitty type of Fire/Flying).

DaBoss

I was gonna choose Chespin, but I decided to not use Torchic or the Kanto starter till post-game.
Can only the starter you get from the professor megavolve? In which case I'd have to do Squirtle.

Can't decide between Chespin or Froakie until their evolutions are known.
I'm curious about this too because if I can't mega evolve my shiny charmander I'd have to pick that him.
I doubt they would limit it like that.

Caladrius

I'm going to try for a Kalos pokemon-only run for the first time through, so I'm just using Froakie. On my next run I'm definitely using Fennekin & Squirtle.

Are there any pogeymans from previous gens that you hope are available pre-E4?

I want Crobat, Golurk, Gallade, Crawdaunt and Mawile to show up. Dat type diversity (Last one is likely but B2W2 taught me not to take featured pokemon for granted.)

Wilbur

Banned
I'm doing what a few of you guys are and only using Karos (or is it Kalos? I can't remember) Pokemon but gonna get a Charmander when I can.

Can't decide between Chespin and Froakie yet. I need to see them starter evos ;_;

Get a Chlorophyll Venusaur with a Mega Stone and evolve it when you lose the weather war for a more relevant ability. Seems like a decent solution to me for versatility, although you won't get the sheer attacking or tanking power of either one.
If I lose the weather war, then it means I've already lost the match. Mega Venusaur isn't going to change that.

TrueBlue

Considering I already have Blastoise and Charizard, I'm gonna go Bulbasaur + Fennekin. Of course, that means.I can't fit in Torchic :/

Top Bottom