• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

backlot

Honestly, I can't understand why anyone would buy X/Y on cartridge. It's not like you're ever going to take it out of your 3DS.
I'd rather not have my save tied to my console in case of hardware failure. I lost a bunch of bunch of Pokemon in My Pokemon Ranch that way.

Wiseblade

I still have Fire Emblem and plan on getting Super Smash Bros. Plus my internet is spotty at times and it could take forever to download. Also, I prefer having a tangible copy. Never know what might happen.
Download those too! Join me in the digital distribution future!

Fireblend

Banned
Hardware failures have been much more common in my experience. I've yet to have a modern cartridge lose a save on me.

Can't you backup game saves on the 3DS though?

Anyway, I'm getting it from the eShop. It's either that or waiting about a week for it to be sent all the way here (Costa Rica) from Amazon, and as people are saying it's a game that I don't think I'll want to be without anyway.

Honestly, I can't understand why anyone would buy X/Y on cartridge. It's not like you're ever going to take it out of your 3DS.

I'd go digital almost immediately, if Nintendo had some kind of account system that would allow me to redownload it if something happens to my 3DS. If I decide to sell my 3DS in order to get enough money to upgrade to an XL, I would like to not have to buy Pokemon again and lose all my data. (Although the Bank will be helpful in that aspect)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'd go digital almost immediately, if Nintendo had some kind of account system that would allow me to redownload it if something happens to my 3DS. If I decide to sell my 3DS in order to get enough money to upgrade to an XL, I would like to not have to buy Pokemon again and lose all my data. (Although the Bank will be helpful in that aspect)

You can always transfer first before selling.

You can always transfer first before selling.

It depends on how I sell it, but that is a possibility. I also have younger sisters and pets though, so it's not like my 3DS would be the first video game system that could get broken.

I really want to be able to play this game whenever I feel like it... but there are just too many reasons that make me prefer a physical copy.

Fireblend

Banned
What worries me about going digital for Pokemon X is the following: If a Pokemon Z is eventually released, I'm totally going to want that, and would be pretty pissed about not being able to sell my copy of Pokemon X or trade it in to get the definitive version, and instead be stuck with 2 digital games, one of which I'll never play again.

DaBoss

If one is going to trade in games, then never go digital.

Also, I don't think posting pics of newly revealed Pokémon here is a good idea. People are on blackouts, but I guess the best thing for them is to completely avoid Pokémon threads.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
38468889fds56.jpg

sorta reminds me of scrafty for some odd reason

Any news revealed now is fair game, but, once there is an official thread, X/Y talk needs to move to that. That way this thread can still discuss other things without being continuously overrun.

And at least for a little while after release, spoilers from the games need to be kept completely out of this thread. Not everyone is going to get a chance to beat the game the first night it is released, so please be considerate in this regard.

One of my favorite eshop feature: I can redownload the game without repaying again. It saves me money from going to GS or whatever and rebuying the same game at full price :D

backlot

Can't you backup game saves on the 3DS though?

Anyway, I'm getting it from the eShop. It's either that or waiting about a week for it to be sent all the way here (Costa Rica) from Amazon, and as people are saying it's a game that I don't think I'll want to be without anyway.
You can back up some saves. Animal Crossing doesn't allow it though and I have to assume Pokemon won't either. If it did you could easily dupe Pokemon by uploading to the bank then reloading from your backup.

X is digital for me just because I have like $11 on the eShop and can also easily avoid sales tax (the only way to do that physically is Amazon. You're supposed to calculate your sales tax manually and send it in to the gov't but who the hell does that?). So I'd be saving like $14 since the eShop stuff is leftovers from a $35 gift card.

DaBoss

Any news revealed now is fair game, but, once there is an official thread, X/Y talk needs to move to that. That way this thread can still discuss other things without being continuously overrun.

And at least for a little while after release, spoilers from the games need to be kept completely out of this thread. Not everyone is going to get a chance to beat the game the first night it is released, so please be considerate in this regard.
Thanks for clarifying it.

One of my favorite eshop feature: I can redownload the game without repaying again. It saves me money from going to GS or whatever and rebuying the same game at full price :D

I'm used to this. Except better. I can set my computer on fire, push it off of a building and into a lake, and still redownload my games on any other computer with no problem. Because that's how digital distribution SHOULD be, and Nintendo still doesn't realize it.

Also I'm buying physical. Need another case to put on a shelf, plus I dislike the eShop system.

Thanks for clarifying it.

I kept hoping we'd get a pre-release news/hype thread like SmashBros. in the Gaming forum, but since the PokéBOMBs usually die off a week after they're made, this thread ends up being the only permanent spot to talk about X/Y. It would be kind of hard to tell people they can't post about new stuff here.

But the X/Y |OT| will be here in a couple of weeks! :D

I chained another Shiny late last night! I'm sending this guy over to X/Y in December. Dat Shiny Mega Ampharos.

Nice! I need Luxray to get a Mega so the shiny Shinx Zeroth gave me can be put to good use.

56rsJOY.gif

Dr. Buni

I can perfectly understand why one wouldn't want to download XY, considering Nintendo's non-existent account system, but I am still downloading because I want to play Y as soon as it is available in the eShop. I've pre-ordered the other version, though.

DaBoss

I feel sorry for Luxio. I seem to forget it exists from time to time. Shinx is cute while Luxray is badass.
I kept hoping we'd get a pre-release news/hype thread like SmashBros. in the Gaming forum, but since the PokéBOMBs usually die off a week after they're made, this thread ends up being the only permanent spot to talk about X/Y. It would be kind of hard to tell people they can't post about new stuff here.

But the X/Y |OT| will be here in a couple of weeks! :D
Yea I see what you mean. But on that note...

Should there be a spoiler thread for Pokémon X/Y?

Caladrius

In what sense? I think split evolutions would be nice. Them learning different moves makes me think it could happen.

I wish they made more of them. I'd love to see a huge family of 6-8 members (with more than one evolutionary stage, none of that madness with Eevee and its 7 branches) one day.

And the Nidos are boss (Nidoqueen being unable to breed is not boss, especially when you need to finish the pokedex and got rid of the game you find nidoran on, but I stand by the rest of my statement.)

zroid

Banned
Well, whoever wants to participate there can have their fun, I suppose. I'm sure that thread will attract a lot of people who don't normally post here. Koko clearly put a lot of work into that OP so I don't want to be mean and tell her there's no point to it.

Wiseblade

I fail to see the purpose of that thread when GAF lacks a like button. It reads like a "like this if you were a 90s kid!" Group on Facebook. There's no substance behind it other than "remember this? Me too".

Seda

I won't pretend to understand the nature or dynamics of this thread, but I think having a thread where people can relive nostalgia of earlier titles is harmless. Other mods agreed. I /did/ remove the community name though - this thread here is still the Community thread.

If that thread remains relatively active then I'll move in onto this board eventually, although I wonder if it can maintain a regular 'membership'.

Top Bottom