• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Refyref

Forgot to mention I've finished 2 more sprites:
Bruno.png

Wattson.png

Ike made the GIFs but I sort of lost them. Feel free to repost them, Ike.

Nice job on those! Haven't seen them yet.

Caladrius

Has anyone noticed that the old Blastoise artwork depicts his cannons as being retractable, with the shell being able to close up?

RveecXv.png

I guess Sugimori changed his mind later.

600px-009Blastoise.png

If you look closely at the old artwork, you'll notice that the scutes wouldn't actually close properly if they were shaped like that.

They're still retractible, but it looks like they added flanking armor to the sides of the cannon mount to make it look more sturdy. Blastoise's shell was redesigned to look much more angular than before, too.

DaBoss

Sorry for bringing this up even though it seems everyone else seemed to have talked about it already.

The Pokémon Classic thread is really nice, it made me feel nostalgic, but man, the intention of the thread and the fact it existed as a Community thread really is just...I don't know how to put it. It really is a stupid idea to attempt to lock down discussion of the first 2 gens to one thread. It seems like such a childish solution to some problem.

I am somewhat new to the Pokémon Community to GAF, so I don't know the extent of the drama and other stuff. I only know of one person in this community thread that constantly says shit about older gen games (Boss Doggie), but it seems the problem is beyond that by looking at the rules of the thread.

I'm just rambling and making this seem more dramatic than it really is, but it really makes me view the Pokémon community seem childish, though it isn't the majority. Wish people can learn to make compromises.

Busaiku

Just wait til Monster Hunter 4.
There'll probably be 3rd gen people complaining about no swimming and all that.

Or something.

DaBoss

Just wait til Monster Hunter 4.
There'll probably be 3rd gen people complaining about no swimming and all that.

Or something.

Only a few. Most will be indifferent, and others will be grateful. Considering it is on the 3DS, underwater combat doesn't work well, so I'm glad they got rid of it.

I've never seen any sort of significant conflict of any sort over WHICH GEN IS BEST in any of the Pokemon OT's. It's always made out to be some sort of epidemic, but I've never seen someone vehemently for/ opposed to Gen 1 causing trouble.

Caladrius

Only a few. Most will be indifferent, and others will be grateful. Considering it is on the 3DS, underwater combat doesn't work well, so I'm glad they got rid of it.

It almost turned me off from 3U. Glad I soldiered on to see the rest of it.

And this is the internet, unfortunately. The gaming internet, at that. Reconciliation does not seem to be a trait we're very good with.

Anura

It almost turned me off from 3U. Glad I soldiered on to see the rest of it.

And this is the internet, unfortunately. The gaming internet, at that. Reconciliation does not seem to be a trait we're very good with.

Everyone's opinion are both simultaneously unassailably right, and wrong to the extent of being abhorrent

braves01

Banned
Today, I also decided to pre-order a guide for Pokemon X/Y. Anyone know why the official hardcover (which I preordered) is significantly cheaper than the paperback?

Sorry for bringing this up even though it seems everyone else seemed to have talked about it already.

The Pokémon Classic thread is really nice, it made me feel nostalgic, but man, the intention of the thread and the fact it existed as a Community thread really is just...I don't know how to put it. It really is a stupid idea to attempt to lock down discussion of the first 2 gens to one thread. It seems like such a childish solution to some problem.

I am somewhat new to the Pokémon Community to GAF, so I don't know the extent of the drama and other stuff. I only know of one person in this community thread that constantly says shit about older gen games (Boss Doggie), but it seems the problem is beyond that by looking at the rules of the thread.

I'm just rambling and making this seem more dramatic than it really is, but it really makes me view the Pokémon community seem childish, though it isn't the majority. Wish people can learn to make compromises.

Yup. If I were to make a "Gens IV and V" Community Thread right now, you can bet that people would be calling it out as being childish and exclusionistic. I think it was pretty much solely made because a few members of this community cannot bear to have their opinions challenged even the slightest bit, and so deemed it fit to create a thread in which they had control.

And do you know what? It's fine by me. If they think it's necessary to create their own special clubhouse where there's no debate and everyone's willfully and blissfully ignorant, then more power to them. But if people think that Gen I and II don't get enough love on this site, they must be delusional. There are aspects of Gen I that I'm not at all fond of (as Beef loves to point out), but it was an incredibly important part of my life and is held in higher regard than pretty much every other game of its time in my eyes. Even so, they're absolutely not the perfect epitome of RPGs that some people like to pretend they are, and the sooner people realise that, the better this community as a whole will be.

/grumpyrant

qq more

I would really prefer if we move on and discuss better things before anything goes out of hand. Not to sound rude or anything.

I would really prefer if we move on and discuss better things before anything goes out of hand. :/

It's a little too late for that, my friend.

I'll oblige though: do you guys think that the Dark-type as a whole is going to suffer a huge hit in metagame competency similar to how Fire did in Gen IV? It's my favourite type, so I would hate if all of my best Pokémon suddenly plummeted in tier ranking :/

qq more

I'm not into competitive play so I can't comment much. But I wish Dark types would get a gym already. Any chances of that happening this time?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I would really prefer if we move on and discuss better things before anything goes out of hand. Not to sound rude or anything.

I'll oblige though: do you guys think that the Dark-type as a whole is going to suffer a huge hit in metagame competency similar to how Fire did in Gen IV? It's my favourite type, so I would hate if all of my best Pokémon suddenly plummeted in tier ranking :/

Adding to this: which Pokemon took the biggest hit by the introduction of fairy and rebalancing? Outside of the competitive aspect that is.

Because I just picked it up in the event, I realized that Dialga is getting screwed pretty hard, as Dragon/Steel. Dragon gets a weakness to fairy and steel loses 2 resistances. Is there a type combo that loses more?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Dragon is probably going to wind up taking the bigger hit. Ice too since it won't be as needed to counter dragons.

Adding to this: which Pokemon took the biggest hit by the introduction of fairy and rebalancing? Outside of the competitive aspect that is.

Because I just picked it up in the event, I realized that Dialga is getting screwed pretty hard, as Dragon/Steel. Dragon gets a weakness to fairy and steel loses 2 resistances. Is there a type combo that loses more?

Isn't steel strong against fairy though? So it doesn't lose out too much. Hydreigon is getting hit with the nerf bat like nobody's business.

DaBoss

Dragon/Dark is getting hit the hardest, so Hydreigon. But it seemed to handle a Fairy attack well. Gonna assume that Fairy attack is weak or does a set amount of damage.

Wilbur

Banned
Dragon gonna get absolutely fucked, you can just tell. People gonna rock online with Jigglypuff and start wrecking Haxorus. It'll be hilarious

Caladrius

Indeed.

Dark is gonna get hit hard. I wouldn't be surprised if Darkrai got knocked down to OU next gen because of Xerneas and the Mewtwo forms' changes (either get whacked by X or Focus blasted by Y). Dragon types at least have the move pool to wreck a lot of pokemon, If you can wipe the fairies off the field they're still going to be good.

zroid

Banned
GameFreak are a bunch of cruel mofos. Had a chance to rebalance the types somewhat, and instead made Dark worse. :lol

At least Poison got buffed, so that's something.

(I guess Steel losing its Dark resistance is something too)

What knocked fire down? the invention of stealth rock?

What knocked fire down? the invention of stealth rock?

That and a bunch of new Pokémon like Gliscor, Garchomp and Gastrodon who gave Fire-types a really hard time.

I'm pretty sure nearly every Fire-type dropped down a tier or two in the gap between III and IV, simply due to not being able to switch in without losing 1/4 of their health.

Caladrius

So how is Fairy/Dragon going to work? It seems like it will wreck shit.

Fairy would be a bit of a mixed blessing with the introduction of the steel weakness. Offensively proficient steel Pokemon like Scizor and Dialga could easily smash them to pieces, and Fairy doesn't fix Dragon's ice weakness, so most water and Ice pokemon would be able to deal plenty of pain, especially considering how well-distributed Ice attacks are.

The typing is good, especially in the Dragon-rich upper tiers but unless the pokemon it's attached to is excellent it's far from beastly.

Wilbur

Banned
Is Fire and Flying the only types weak to Rock?

Hopefully Fire makes a bit of a resurgence this gen due to being resistant against Fairy and a lot of people trying them out.

Caladrius

Is Fire and Flying the only types weak to Rock?

Hopefully Fire makes a bit of a resurgence this gen due to being resistant against Fairy and a lot of people trying them out.

Ice and bug are weak to it too. Rock is actually a pretty decent offensive type overall, just ironically a horrid defensive type.

Wilbur

Banned
Ice is good against Ground, but since a large portion of Rock-types have a Ground subtype, it probably seems like Ice is good against both ;P

Ice is good against Ground. There are a lot of Rock/Ground types so it's easy to get confused.

Ah there you go, cheers lads.

Was just looking at the dual type chart thingy, a fair few combinations we haven't seen yet. Not completely updated as it doesn't have any Gen VI on there yet, but I'd still love to see Pokes for every possible type. Gives you the theoretical weaknesses and strengths there as well for those wanting to know the Fairy/Dragon stuff.

Top Bottom