• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

To expand on what I said in XII:

It will be unclear, as these changes that we know of so far can only be taken in the context of how the game is at the moment. However, there are a few things one could glean from a surface perspective:

1. Fairy being SE against Dragon and being immune to Dragon
Attempted Dragon debuff/hard counter - to a greater extent than the others.

2. Fairy being SE against Fighting and being resistant to Fighting
Attempted protection from one of the best offensive types, while not being completely immune.

3. Fairy being resistant to Bug
Attempted protection against the recently buffed Bug type without nerfing it by making it weak to Fairy.

Assuming the hypothetical of a lack of Fighting type, they've may've wanted to make the following relationship offensively:

Steel/Poison > Fairy > Dark/Ghost > Steel

4. Steel being SE against Fairy and being resistant to Fairy
5. Poison being SE against Fairy and being resistant to Fairy
In the circumstance of Steel gaining more use, Poison gets a buff as well because of its negative relationship vs. Steel.
6. Fairy being SE against Dark and being resistant to Dark
7. Dark/Ghost being neutral vs. Steel
Slight offensive buff to Dark and Ghost.

8. Fairy being NVE against Fire
Attempted Fire defensive buff (Sneaky Pebbles notwithstanding). It doesn't take SE damage because Fire is already a great offensive type.

Fairy's place in the table is pretty patch heavy. Can't wait to see what other surprises await.

(note: feel free to correct me if I was wrong on any of the above points, didn't really look towards specific Pokemon)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Was just looking at the dual type chart thingy, a fair few combinations we haven't seen yet. Not completely updated as it doesn't have any Gen VI on there yet, but I'd still love to see Pokes for every possible type. Gives you the theoretical weaknesses and strengths there as well for those wanting to know the Fairy/Dragon stuff.

Looking at the "most/least" weaknesses on the left, see it hasn't updated the chart yet. Sableye and Spiritomb are still listed as having no weaknesses...

Kinda odd we don't have a Dark/Psychic pokemon. Seems like a fairly possible combination, as opposed to e.g. Fire/Water.

Caladrius

Looking at the "most/least" weaknesses on the left, see it hasn't updated the chart yet. Sableye and Spiritomb are still listed as having no weaknesses...

Kinda odd we don't have a Dark/Psychic pokemon. Seems like a fairly possible combination, as opposed to e.g. Fire/Water.

Inkay and Malamar are Dark/Psychic, actually.

That sucker has an almost guaranteed team slot for me.

Wilbur

Banned

That badass motherfucker Malamar, bro

Probably the best Gen VI yet after Dino Dave

backlot

To expand on what I said in XII:

It will be unclear, as these changes that we know of so far can only be taken in the context of how the game is at the moment. However, there are a few things one could glean from a surface perspective:

1. Fairy being SE against Dragon and being immune to Dragon
Attempted Dragon debuff/hard counter - to a greater extent than the others.

2. Fairy being SE against Fighting and being resistant to Fighting
Attempted protection from one of the best offensive types, while not being completely immune.

3. Fairy being resistant to Bug
Attempted protection against the recently buffed Bug type without nerfing it by making it weak to Fairy.

Assuming the hypothetical of a lack of Fighting type, they've may've wanted to make the following relationship offensively:

Steel/Poison > Fairy > Dark/Ghost > Steel

4. Steel being SE against Fairy and being resistant to Fairy
5. Poison being SE against Fairy and being resistant to Fairy
In the circumstance of Steel gaining more use, Poison gets a buff as well because of its negative relationship vs. Steel.
6. Fairy being SE against Dark and being resistant to Dark
7. Dark/Ghost being neutral vs. Steel
Slight offensive buff to Dark and Ghost.

8. Fairy being NVE against Fire
Attempted Fire defensive buff (Sneaky Pebbles notwithstanding). It doesn't take SE damage because Fire is already a great offensive type.

Fairy's place in the table is pretty patch heavy. Can't wait to see what other surprises await.

(note: feel free to correct me if I was wrong on any of the above points, didn't really look towards specific Pokemon)
With point 6 are you saying fairy being SE against Dark works as an offensive buff to Dark types? I'd say it's actually a pretty big defensive debuff for Dark types.

Korosenai

That badass motherfucker Malamar, bro

Probably the best Gen VI yet after Dino Dave
Malamar is fucking awesome. Dark/psychic squid, it doesn't get much cooler than that.

So what Pokemon has everyone decided to use for their initial run? I've got Chespin, Malamar, and Pyroar/Talonflame lined up. Maybe a fairy type if I find one I like.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hey guys I just got up, what do you mean by other-

...Oh, that thread. Eh, seeing the OP, somehow I am not surprised. But hey, if they feel like they want to be reclusive, let them be. They're painting their own picture anyway.

In any case yeah, seems like Dark got the nerf stick today. :/

NAJXCUc.jpg

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=14851438

DaBoss

lol, I love how the first image is implying that Ethan should choose either the Crystal female MC or the HG/SS female MC.

braves01

Banned
Reposting for new page:

What's the difference between the hardcover X/Y guide vs. the paperback guide, besides about $10 on Amazon?

The pricing doesn't really make sense to me...

DaBoss

Reposting for new page:

What's the difference between the hardcover X/Y guide vs. the paperback guide, besides about $10 on Amazon?

Hardcover books are always more expensive since hardcover stuff is...more expensive lol.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
wait what, that's new o_O

Also would it be hilarious if Pyroar can't learn Fire Blast

Naw, apparently we're not good enough for some people.

I'm sorry, I'm just so bitter about this whole thing. :/

Just ignore it. Let the echo chamber echo itself.

braves01

Banned
waaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

I don't understand that at all.

I pre-ordered it, so I'm pretty sure that keeps me locked in at $11.99, but yeah that has to be a mistake or something. I was just worried it was an unofficial guide or something. Still though, a 416 page hardcover guide for $11.99 ain't bad.

zroid

Banned
Reposting for new page:

whoa, that's weird. great price for the hardcover though at $12. it's more expensive on amazon.ca

DaBoss

Please don't have an "us vs. them" mentality.

I pre-ordered it, so I'm pretty sure that keeps me locked in at $11.99, but yeah that has to be a mistake or something. I was just worried it was an unofficial guide or something.

Only difference I can spot is that the paperback one seems to be wider than the hardcover one. I think you may want to contact Amazon about it, just to be safe.

whoa, that's weird. great price for the hardcover though at $12. it's more expensive on amazon.ca

I don't even see the paperback one on amazon.ca and hardcover shows up as $16.60. Discounted from $22.99.

Please don't have an "us vs. them" mentality.

It's not a matter of "us vs. them," it's a matter of tact. No matter how you look at it, making that thread specifically as a Community thread was a very rude gesture towards everyone who frequents and loves this thread, especially Ike.

I'll probably stop being mad sometime tomorrow, but until then I need to let off steam occasionally so I don't overheat.

PK Gaming

It's a little too late for that, my friend.

I'll oblige though: do you guys think that the Dark-type as a whole is going to suffer a huge hit in metagame competency similar to how Fire did in Gen IV? It's my favourite type, so I would hate if all of my best Pokémon suddenly plummeted in tier ranking :/

It's not looking good

There's that neat offensive buff against Steel-types, but that literally doesn't help Scrafty in the slightest. I'm sorry.

It's not looking good

There's that neat offensive buff against Steel-types, but that literally doesn't help Scrafty in the slightest. I'm sorry.

It's okay. I'll have Ike as my wingman to switch into Fairy attacks, and I never leave home without my Scizor (whose Bullet Punch will tear through Fairies like me at a dessert buffet).

And hey, maybe they'll expand Scrafty's moveset to help him deal with Fairies more effectively! Maybe he'll expand his arsenal of headbutt attacks with Iron Head!

DaBoss

It's not a matter of "us vs. them," it's a matter of tact. No matter how you look at it, making that thread specifically as a Community thread was a very rude gesture towards everyone who frequents and loves this thread, especially Ike.

I'll probably stop being mad sometime tomorrow, but until then I need to let off steam occasionally so I don't overheat.

Yea, I've already said how I feel. :p

It just seemed like it may head into that direction, which is not something a community needs. But if you're just letting out steam, then OK.

Not sure why the logo is slapped on there, but that looks hilarious lol.

Don't go losing your pants now, Scrafty.

You don't give pants to a thief!

Caladrius

Are you insinuating Golem shits all over Espeon?

You made me spit my drink out laughing, you fiend.

It's okay. I'll have Ike as my wingman to switch into Fairy attacks, and I never leave home without my Scizor (whose Bullet Punch will tear through Fairies like me at a dessert buffet).

And hey, maybe they'll expand Scrafty's moveset to help him deal with Fairies more effectively! Maybe he'll expand his arsenal of headbutt attacks with Iron Head!

That's the spirit. It dawned on me that my precious Gallade has such a wide movepool he'll be able to work around these new setbacks with aplomb. Still going to be horribly outclassed by Gardevoir and possibly mega-gardy, but the dream will live on.

Top Bottom