• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Caladrius

Bah, none of them cite the origins of the word.

It came from the old Transformers name calling due to having a similar "my nostalgia!" argument. It was during the Beast Wars era. G1 fanboys would troll Beast Wars fans saying "TRUKK NOT MUNKEY" to which the BW fans would simply ignore them and call them as "GeeWunners".

It still bugs me that someone felt the need to mutate the word during the transmission. "Geewun" rolls off the tongue far better and sounds a bit less like an aardvark is saying it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It still bugs me that someone felt the need to mutate the word during the transmission. "Geewun" rolls off the tongue far better and sounds a bit less like an aardvark is saying it.

It's mostly because the "classic" Transformers are called G1 later on, thus "GeeWunner". Pokemon fans just rolled along with it. Just pronounce it as Gen1 but add "er" to the end.

I think Pokeshifting might have been worse.
You don't have to exit out to the title screen between each batch so Pokeshifting is much quicker. The game itself is really short once you get the hang of it, too. Much shorter than Pokepark.

Bringing over my Ditto army still made me want to shoot myself.

zroid

Banned
fgzVFUs.png

AuL4tPq.png

I laughed

Who all is going to pay for Pokemon Bank? I know I will.

day 1 baby. I don't know if I will subscribe forever, but year 1 is a lock, at least.

Firestorm

I love the concept of it but I don't think I have enough use for it. If there's an web or phone interface for managing Pokemon though they'll have my money so fast... All my Pokemon will be in the cloud with that.

DaBoss

Definitely getting PokeBank.

Does anyone's copy of SS/HG freeze when navigating the Pokedex? It freezes often for some reason. I'm playing on a DS Lite, though it shouldn't matter, but I think the DS Lite is the problem.

I think Pokeshifting might have been worse.

Nah, you just need to get used to that mini-game. I find it all right once you get the hang of it.

Pal Park is a pain in the ass because you have to go to the title screen and you may have to run around for a long time till a Pokemon shows up. And then there is that annoyance when you forget to bring a Pokemon that knows Surf.

Seil

Definitely. It'll provide space to house a living dex without sacrificing usability of the storage system in-game. No more sacrificing all but two boxes!

The fact it should make transferring between games easier and provide an easy way to store Pokemon before restarting is just a bonus.

cafemomo

I find it amazing that my breloom will still be in my team. And its been eleven years mang
Sapphire -> FireRed -> Emerald -> LeafGreen -> Pearl -> HeartGold -> White -> White 2 -> and next month, Y.
It's been a long ride, maybe one day he will return back to Hoenn
;_;

Wish I could say the same with my peeps from Yellow. But they are stuck in Silver

Caladrius

I definitely will, especially If I can duplicate pogeymans. I'm glad they finally found a transfer solution that doesn't require 2 systems, it also means that if I want to transfer pokemon between 2 games I don't have to go through the hellish process of repeat trading/transfer minigames.

I hated having to transfer all of my pokemon from my Japanese copy of white when I got B2W2, to say nothing of transferring my living pokedex and legendary collection from Gen IV to W2. Having a Zekrom named Susanoo and a shiny Kyurem named Tsukuyomi in Japanese was totally worth it though. I still want a Reshiram named Amaterasu.

I can't help but wonder if this is a testing ground/ flagship service for more cloud-based features in future Nintendo games.

Zeroth

I definitely will, especially If I can duplicate pogeymans. I'm glad they finally found a transfer solution that doesn't require 2 systems, it also means that if I want to transfer pokemon between 2 games I don't have to go through the hellish process of repeat trading/transfer minigames.

I hated having to transfer all of my pokemon from my Japanese copy of white when I got B2W2, to say nothing of transferring my living pokedex and legendary collection from Gen IV to W2. Having a Zekrom named Susanoo and a shiny Kyurem named Tsukuyomi in Japanese was totally worth it though. I still want a Reshiram named Amaterasu.

I can't help but wonder if this is a testing ground/ flagship service for more cloud-based features in future Nintendo games.

I'm sensing a pattern here...

Caladrius

I'm sensing a pattern here...

Shin Megami Tensei rubbed off a little too well and now I have an insatiable urge to name all of my Pokemon after mythological and pop-culture figures.

PS. Nicknaming my next Giratina (I have 8) either Ha' Satan, Izanami or Ahriman

Fireblend

Banned
I don't think I'll be using the bank. I'm not that "hardcore" of a player to have Pokemon to transfer between games (in fact, I've never done so), and I actually like thinking of new gens as completely fresh starts. Maybe much farther down the road, if I get obsessed enough with the game to actually need the storage space or if Pokemon XY2/Z makes me use it for some reason.

I find it amazing that my breloom will still be in my team. And its been eleven years mang
Sapphire -> FireRed -> Emerald -> LeafGreen -> Pearl -> HeartGold -> White -> White 2 -> and next month, Y.
It's been a long ride, maybe one day he will return back to Hoenn
;_;

Wish I could say the same with my peeps from Yellow. But they are stuck in Silver

Count yourself lucky they are still there ;_; My silver save battery died long, long ago.

Toxi

Banned
Bah, none of them cite the origins of the word.

It came from the old Transformers name calling due to having a similar "my nostalgia!" argument. It was during the Beast Wars era. G1 fanboys would troll Beast Wars fans saying "TRUKK NOT MUNKEY" to which the BW fans would simply ignore them and call them as "GeeWunners".
Actually, TRUKK NOT MUNKY was a joke among Beast Wars fans. It made fun of the hyperbolic reactions of stupid Gen 1 Transformers fans to Beast Wars having animal transformations. There was actually a specific post that started the joke in which someone complained that Optimus Primal wasn't a truck.

Definitely! There's no way I'm going to continue transferring my Pokemon one or six at a time, when I can just send entire boxes to the cloud to download to any game. I've been wanting something like this for years.

braves01

Banned
I just moved all my DPP/HGSS Pokemon over to W2 in anticipation of their eventual move to the bank. Pretty awesome I'll still be able to use my Feraligatr from 7 YEARS AGO in X/Y. And I see people in this thread will still be able to use Pokemon from even longer ago. It's weird feeling attached to digital files, but I feel the same way about some old papers I've got on computer.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
A genwunner is a person who only likes Generation I games and the "original" first 150 Pokémon. They also love to shit on later generations, games, designs, etc.

But that thread is for the first 251. :)

I always find it interesting how there's hardcore Gen 1 fans, then there's the Johto fans who are like "hey bros, we're the true sequel, everything else afterwards doesn't count, original 251 forever!" and try to fit in with the former.

But I really don't see a problem with that thread, it's no different from the *classic* threads of other series like Mario and Metroid.

And every generation has weirdo fans who are close-minded, in fact it's according to /vp/

Genwunners
Johtofreaks (well, it's actually a gay slur I've seen used, which I don't like, so here's a softer version)
Hoennbabbies
There are no Gen 4 fans
Unovabortions

zroid

Banned
But I really don't see a problem with that thread, it's no different from the *classic* threads of other series like Mario and Metroid.

There's no problem now. :p

Originally it rubbed people the wrong way because it was titled "Pokémon Classic Community", implying this thread doesn't already serve that function.

Genwunners
Johtofreaks (well, it's actually a gay slur I've seen used, which I don't like, so here's a softer version)
Hoennbabbies
There are no Gen 4 fans
Unovabortions
lol

qq more

I am seriously hoping you guys aren't labeling the majority from the classics thread as genwunners/johtofreaks.

Fan labeling is dumb as hell anyways and it's just generalizing bullshit.

Macka

Both extremes of Pokemon fans annoy me.

If someone came into this thread saying the original 151/251 were clearly the best and that GameFreak had run out of ideas for designs, I'd laugh. Likewise, when certain people attack Gen I & II, saying that the games are dated and slow and that the Pokemon designs are boring, I find that hilarious as well.

braves01

Banned
I don't care that there's a classic thread, but I don't really understand why it's necessary. This thread covers everything Pokemon as far as I can tell, and it's not like gen one stuff gets totally ignored if someone wants to talk about it.

I ran into my very first shiny pokemon. Audino. I've been spending hours outside the daycare breeding and leveling pokemon. It figures this would be the one I'd get.

DaBoss

What are some cities in any Pokémon games that you feel are obnoxiously hard or just seem like a drag to go through.

Fortree City has to be my least favorite to go to. Can't run on boardwalk things. You have to use the boardwalk things to get to the other side, no other easier way.

Sootopolis City has to be second due to one thing: surfing. "Hey, let's not make bridges and require one to surf in order to get around town."

Cerulean City just loves to block your way from getting to places, it's like they wanted to make things difficult. Thankfully HG/SS fixed that issue by making it more friendly.

Humilau City is a weird one. It's easy to go through underneath the homes, but going on the boards they've placed is just annoying. It really isn't hard, and I'm being picky, but I just don't like the way is is laid out.

I'm sure there's more that I didn't remember yet.
We need a Kalos variant
Frenchies lol

I don't hate French-speaking people! I just find it fitting because of your avatar.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Huh, yeah. I just realized in that "Tyrunt in kiddie pool" pic that both fossil mon in Gen1 are Rock/Water

And yeah Noivern and Tyrunt now share the same spot for my most favorite Kalos Pokemon

Dr. Buni

Gen 4 is actually my 2nd favorite gen!

That is nice. I am noticing that more Gen 4 fans are starting to be vocal about their love for the generation. They were so rare some years ago.

Gen I, Gen IV and Gen V are my favorites, though I have a feeling Gen VI will easily surpass all of them
no one asked

Top Bottom