• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Hard for me to name one in particular, but if I did, it would probably be Mewtwo. I still remember the first time I played Melee and unlocked Mewtwo, and I got pretty excited. As for reasoning, FR/LG was my first time really getting into Pokemon, and when I got to the depths of Cerulean Cave, I got pretty excited, not gonna lie.

Neat. What are your thoughts on the two Mega Mewtwo revealed thus far?

Right now, I'm preferring the design of X to the one of Y, however I imagine Y will be the more competitive viable one, with its boost to Mewtwo's already great Special Attack.

X gets STAB Aura Sphere though, which effectively means that very little will be able to wall it so long as it still has decent Special Attack.

zroid

Banned
zg6Cr6a.jpg

lol

improvement tbh

X gets STAB Aura Sphere though, which effectively means that very little will be able to wall it so long as it still has decent Special Attack.
True, but I still think that extra Attack on X is going to waste. At least with Y, you probably are getting at least 160-170 special attack, which I imagine will be able to OHKO most things. True, the Aura Sphere boost will be nice for some things, but I imagine the Special Attack boost will be more helpful for some more common Ubers with high Sp. Def, like Kyogre, Lugia, and Ho-Oh

I'm more surprised about the probably-dead Gold cart going for as much as Heart Gold. I haven't seen a pre-gba game go for more than $30 in about a decade.

They were balancing the Fairy type, there is no way they just came up with it and put it in with no testing. Fairy's relation to other types was almost definitely changed multiple times during development. This is an incredibly common thing during the development of a game.

Which is my point. If they can change something that's so fundamental to the game from the time he playtested to when it was revealed then whose to say more things haven't changed in regards to the starters typing?

And given that he was flat out wrong about Mewtwo I'm on the "He either purposely lied about some stuff or somethings are just wrong".

Toxi

Banned
I'm more surprised about the probably-dead Gold cart going for as much as Heart Gold. I haven't seen a pre-gba game go for more than $30 in about a decade.
You can fix a dead cartridge if you buy a new battery.

Still, I don't know why someone would play Gold over Heart Gold.

You can fix a dead cartridge if you buy a new battery.

That's why I'm surprised, the replacement cost is going to add another $5 to that or more depending on if you already have the security bit to open a cart.

I'd just get Heart Gold at that point. :p

qq more

Are you serious? This is like saying people shouldn't play Kirby Super Star over Kirby Super Star Ultra. I'd rather play Gold over Heart Gold to be honest. Both games hold up well on their own.

Mewtwo learns quite a few physical attacks, and I'm guessing it will learn some more for X and Y to help Mewtwo X.

Zoroak apparently got kicked so hard, he transformed into Ghost Ri... Nicholas Cage.

I know what I'm naming my Zoroak next time.
Joe Chill.

Toxi

Banned
Are you serious? This is like saying people shouldn't play Kirby Super Star over Kirby Super Star Ultra. I'd rather play Gold over Heart Gold to be honest. Both games hold up well on their own.
They're about the same until you reach the post-game.

In Gold, the Kanto gyms and trainers and wild Pokemon are hilariously misleveled, making Kanto a boring and easy slog. Whose brilliant idea was it to make Janine's Pokemon all under level 40 after you've beaten the guy with a level 50 Dragonite? Red was the only trainer with decently leveled Pokemon to provide a challenge, but good luck grinding for him when the only trainers you can rebattle cap at level 50.

qq more

They're about the same until you reach the post-game.

In Gold, the Kanto gyms and trainers and wild Pokemon are hilariously misleveled, making Kanto a boring and easy slog. Whose brilliant idea was it to make Janine's Pokemon all under level 40 after you've beaten the guy with a level 50 Dragonite? Red was the only trainer with decently leveled Pokemon, but good luck training for him when the only trainers you can rebattle cap at level 50.

I miss the original music, it sounded better. And Kanto never bothered me much, I appreciate the changes though *shrugs*

Toxi

Banned
Original music is good, updated music is good too. This isn't like Firered/Leafgreen where you want to sodomize the band with their own trumpets.

Fangamer has some rad new Pokemon shirts:

I really want the Vermillion one...
I love the Cerulean one. Hoping that they release one for Fuchsia City.

qq more

Original music is good, updated music is good too. This isn't like Firered/Leafgreen where you want to sodomize the band with their own trumpets.

I love the Cerulean one. Hoping that they release one for Fuchsia City.

The new music is fine, I just largely prefer the Game Boy instruments over the DS ones.

Anyways, I don't see the issue with people preferring Gold over Heart Gold. I honestly like HG nearly as much as the original but I sort of like the original more. I also like the original art more (since it's full 2D instead of the weird 2.5D thing the DS games had).

blamite

It's probably a real hassle getting a game localized for each different region.

Who does Pokemon localizations anyway, probably a group inside The Pokemon Company? It would be great if this was the start of Nintendo getting a process going to allow for many more worldwide simultaneous launches in the future.

qq more

I wonder if I'm the only one in this thread who actually missed RBY's glitches...

And by that I mean Glitch City, Missing No... those kinds of glitches. They were so fun to hunt.

Caladrius

If one of those glitches is item cloning, I won't complain lol.

I wonder if I'm the only one in this thread who actually missed RBY's glitches...

You are not alone.

I suggest that if anyone finds any glitches that they exploit the hell out of them before they are inevitably patched. (even if said patching might take 6 months.)

EDIT: I was under the impression that they're done by either game freak or the local Nintendo branches. I could have sworn that NOA localization writers did work on the previous games.

backlot

I don't even understand this analogy. Is there a reason to play Kirby Super Star instead of Ultra?

qq more

GB player for HG/SS?

I tried going back to Gold a while back. No, just can't do it. I've already adjusted to 3rd gen and beyond.
You don't get that until wayyyy later though.

(And I remember listening to the .mini2sf rips of them and they sounded really off. It could be just the mini2sf rip itself though, but I recall the instruments sounding a bit off. Kind of jarring lol. I'll have to get it in game and judge it properly myself)

I never had a problem with adjusting to things, but eh that's just me...

I don't even understand this analogy. Is there a reason to play Kirby Super Star instead of Ultra?

Bad comparison I guess, but I would argue that some would prefer playing it on TV. And the music quality is somewhat better too. And there's people who don't like the CG stuff they added in the remake (personally I liked them even if the vid quality was so dang low).

What I'm trying to say is that everyone is going to like something in the original over the remake. Maybe it's something important enough that they prefer the original. It's just how some things work.

Nostalgia?

I actually played through the remake first. (Disclaimer: I have no preference, I like both versions equality but I have not went back to the remake lately)

Dr. Buni

I prefer some stuff in the original games over the remakes, so I understand why one would want to play them over the improved remakes. But personally, I just can't go back and play Gen I and II anymore. Hell, even Gen III is sort of obsolete to me and things will only get worse once XY are released.

qq more

I just can't get through Gold after playing the remake...I mean come on it has running shoes!

Oh, it's fine! I'm not holding that against you. It's your preference and I accept that! (Actually I love the running shoes too, game changer for me)

Thankfully the GB maps are actually proportionally smaller than the GBA/DS maps, so it wasn't all that bad to me, I got adjusted to it pretty quick. lol

Who does Pokemon localizations anyway, probably a group inside The Pokemon Company? It would be great if this was the start of Nintendo getting a process going to allow for many more worldwide simultaneous launches in the future.
Used to be Nintendo Treehouse but ever since either HGSS or BW (can't remember which) it's been TPCi.

Top Bottom