• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

qq more

Yeah that was annoying. Especially since the hard versions were locked behind that stupid key.
Don't forget Easy Mode... why the FUCK was that an unlockable?
Why are they version exclusive?
Why is there still one save file when the game has UNLOCKABLE difficulty modes?

What the fuck were they honestly thinking?

GAME FREAK >:|

blamite

Colosseum had lame character designs but cool looking cities:

tr0KPq1.png

ixqJHMH.png

Can't go wrong with holograms!

Caladrius

Yeah that was annoying. Especially since the hard versions were locked behind that stupid key.

Don't forget Easy Mode... why the FUCK was that an unlockable?
Why are they version exclusive?
Why is there still one save file when the game has UNLOCKABLE difficulty modes?

What the fuck were they honestly thinking?

GAME FREAK >:|

That's far from the first thing I'd pin them for. B2W2 was a conceptual mess. The heinous discrepancy between the Kyurem forms, the haphazard route around Unova, locking the COVER MASCOT (two of my favorites, at that) and day-care until the post-game, Hidden Grottos.

I ultimately liked them much better than BW but there were a lot of boneheaded decisions made.

Marlon is the biggest joke in the Pokemon world.

You're just jealous of Blaquaman's tan-line.

qq more

That's far from the first thing I'd pin them for. B2W2 was a conceptual mess. The heinous discrepancy between the Kyurem forms, the haphazard route around Unova, locking the COVER MASCOT (two of my favorites, at that) and day-care until the post-game, Hidden Grottos.

I ultimately liked them much better than BW but there were a lot of boneheaded decisions made.

I haven't actually played BW2 yet but it really does sound like it has a lot of baffling decisions, which is why I've avoided it. I had thoughts of getting the game but after hearing all of that the other day made me not want to buy it. Thank god XY is coming.

DaBoss

I think the routes thing was a nice change. Made it feel fresher.

And Hidden Grottos were cool. :p

I hate the way he talks. I know people who talk similarly to him, but I don't mind it at all, but this dude just riles up my jimmies lol.

I lost my shit when he just swims off after beating him.
http://youtu.be/4Z5smuDVJdY?t=23m26s

I wanted to do bad things.

I haven't actually played BW2 yet but it really does sound like it has a lot of baffling decisions, which is why I've avoided it. I had thoughts of getting the game but after hearing all of that the other day made me not want to buy it. Thank god XY is coming.

Sounds more like confirmation bias. :p

Toxi

Banned
Despite the stupid decisions Gamefreak took with some things, I personally think B2W2 is one of the best Pokemon games. The Pokemon distribution alone is amazing; you can have a Riolu, a Mareep, a Pignite, and a Marill with Huge Power before the first gym. The weird route for the main game is excused because B2W2 Unova is big. And the extensive post-game content like the Pokemon World Tournament just makes it better.

Marlon is the biggest joke in the Pokemon world.
I'm pretty sure FRLG Giovanni is the biggest joke in the Pokemon world, considering he has a level 50 Rhyhorn as his heavy hitter.

Caladrius

As far as actually playing through the campaign goes it doesn't really mess anything up (other than the map flow thing), and gameplay wise I thought it was vastly more enjoyable than BW, it's just the devils in the detail that made me want to pimpoleonslap a game designer. The game was a stopgap made primarily by a B-team and it makes that fact a little too obvious for comfort.

Put this fucker along them as well:

I liked him best out of the three.

Zeroth

Right. I'm sure that was the reason.

qq more

Sounds more like confirmation bias. :p
Honestly, I'm just burned out enough from my disappointment with BW1 that I just get easily irritated with bullshit things.

Daycare is locked out in BW2 until post-game like... wtf?

I wouldn't say the difficulty keys thing killed any chances of me wanting the game but a lot of the other things I've heard from BW2 just does not sound all that encouraging, those made me want the game way less. I was already on the fence about it.

DaBoss

Put this fucker along them as well:]
May as well put his other brothers in there as well.

Especially Cilan because of the anime.
I'm pretty sure FRLG Giovanni is the biggest joke in the Pokemon world, considering he has a level 50 Rhyhorn as his heavy hitter.
lol
Honestly, I'm just burned out enough from my disappointment with BW1 that I just get easily irritated with bullshit things.

I wouldn't say the difficulty keys thing killed any chances of me wanting the game but a lot of the other things I've heard from BW2 just does not sound all that encouraging, those made me want the game way less. I was already on the fence about it.
The daycare being locked out till post-game and hard mode being locked to post-game are pretty much the only bullshit things about BW2, unless you want to use a Glaceon or Leafeon which is impossible to evolve an Evee into till post-game.

BW2 does a lot of things right which more than make up for it. The Pokémon distribution is insanely good.

qq more

The daycare being locked out till post-game and hard mode being locked to post-game are pretty much the only bullshit things about BW2, unless you want to use a Glaceon or Leafeon which is impossible to evolve an Evee into till post-game.

BW2 does a lot of things right which more than make up for it. The Pokémon distribution is insanely good.
Is there any alternatives to the daycare before post-game? It just feels wrong to have a really good feature getting locked away for no reason. It sort of feels like taking steps back.

Dr. Buni

I really disliked that Pokémon World Tournament feature at first, since Game Freak was to lazy to redesign the old characters, showing that, you know, they aged. Then I realized post game stuff is most likely not canon, so I started enjoying the feature. Either way, I hope the PWT doesn't come back in XY. I'd rather have a new Battle Frontier like the Emerald one
or both, if possible

qq more

I really disliked that PWT at first, since Game Freak was to lazy to redesign the old characters, showing that, you know, they aged. Then I realized post game stuff is most likely not canon and then I started enjoying the feature.

Either way, I hope the PWT doesn't come back in XY. I'd rather have a new Battle Frontier
or both, if possible

What was outdated about the old character designs?

Sorry if I ask so much, I'm just curious. First time I've heard people describe the trainers like that.

Toxi

Banned
Looking at Giovanni's team in Yellow, holy shit, he got a lot tougher in that game. All of his Pokemon are level 50 or higher and the level 45 Rhyhorn was booted off the team in exchange for a level 53 Persian with Slash (AKA one of the best Gen 1 mons).

B2W2 are fun.

Just to give you an idea of how varied the Pokemon distribution is: My current in-game team for a mono-Poison run is Drapion, Garbodor, Crobat, Weezing, Scolipede, and Amoongus. That's six fully-evolved Poison types before I face the seventh gym, and I didn't even grab a Grimer, Roselia, or Seviper.

Caladrius

This is definitely a big point in its favor. 300 pokemon with a ton of balls-awesome choices.Magnezone, Magmortar, Lucario, Crobat, Electivire, Eevees, Flygon, Roserade, non-event Zoroark, Aggron, Volcarona, Drifblim, Gliscor, Starmie, Ninetales, Slaking, Crawdaunt and Friggin' Metagross, maaaaan.

One of the most encouraging things about XY is that it seems to be continuing the trend, and I have high hopes that I'll be able to assemble a team almost entirely out of my top 20 pokemon.

Dr. Buni

What was outdated about the old character designs?
B2W2 is years after HGSS/DPP, which was years after FRLG/RSE, so I was hoping the old characters would get redesigns, like some of them got in older games.

For example, this is Misty in FRLG:

This is Misty in HGSS:

She is clearly older in the later design. I know hoping for Game Freak to redesign that huge amount of character was silly, but I couldn't help myself from being disappointed. A lot of people complained about that on bulbagarden/serebii back when the game was released, but now no one cares anymore because the PWT is fuck as heck.

DaBoss

Is there any alternatives to the daycare before post-game? It just feels wrong to have a really good feature getting locked away for no reason. It sort of feels like taking steps back.

There really isn't an alternative, but there is a way to level up Pokémon easily. In this thing called Join Avenue you have this one store thing that can train your Pokémon "X" levels immediately. You can also feed Pokémon food at a café in Join Avenue which can level up Pokémon immediately too.

This is definitely a big point in its favor. 300 pokemon with a ton of balls-awesome choices.Magnezone, Magmortar, Lucario, Crobat, Electivire, Eevees, Flygon, Roserade, non-event Zoroark, Aggron, Volcarona, Drifblim, Gliscor, Starmie, Ninetales, Slaking, Crawdaunt and Friggin' Metagross, maaaaan.

One of the most encouraging things about XY is that it seems to be continuing the trend, and I have high hopes that I'll be able to assemble a team almost entirely out of my top 20 pokemon.

Yup, excited about that aspect of XY too since it looks like a lot of Pokémon will be available.

Toxi

Banned
Count me in for being excited about varied Pokemon distribution. One of the things I hate about the start of nearly every Pokemon game is how all you find in the early game are Normal, Flying, and weak bugs.

There really isn't an alternative, but there is a way to level up Pokémon easily. In this thing called Join Avenue you have this one store thing that can train your Pokémon "X" levels immediately. You can also feed Pokémon food at a café in Join Avenue which can level up Pokémon immediately too.
There are also the stadiums in Nimbasa, which give a shitton of experience for lower leveled Pokemon (Especially with the Lucky Egg) and can be faced once per day. Unlike in BW1, they also have more trainers when you first get there.

qq more

B2W2 is years after HGSS/DPP, which was years after FRLG/RSE, so I was hoping the old characters would get redesigns, like some of them got in older games.

For example, this is Misty in FRLG:

This is Misty in HGSS:

She is clearly older in the later design. I know hoping for Game Freak to redesign that huge amount of character was silly, but I couldn't help myself from being disappointed. A lot of people complained about that on bulbagarden/serebii back when the game was released, but now no one cares anymore because the PWT is fuck as heck.
Oh, okay. I get where you're getting at now.

Wow, that sounds kind of cool. I'm hoping something similiar to that gets in X/Y.

Firestorm

Dear Game Freak,

Give me New Game+ with Doubles Battle Subway / PWT AI where I can import my Pokemon via Pokemon Bank.

I will pay you all the pokedollahs

Village

HGSS Misty always looked like some kind of swimming instructor to me.

I would guess that would be kind of the point. That kind of sea world look.

Anyways, does anyone know where that art is of the gen 6 megaevo's and new pokemans with the light panted background. If you do could you direct me to them, need em for art purposes.

Top Bottom