• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

JoeM86

Got some new hi-res screenshots of Origin from the press kit

o9.jpg
o10.jpg
o11.jpg
o12.jpg
o13.jpg
o14.jpg

Pokemon is one of the few RPG franchises left with turn-based battles. Fuck that noise.

Turn based battles > *

I can't stand turn based games, but I love Pokémon to the point of running the most popular site, so what does that say about them?

Got some new hi-res screenshots of Origin from the press kit

I can't stand turn based games, but I love Pokémon to the point of running the most popular site, so what does that say about them?

I want this right now ... there is no possible way this can NOT be seen as a true anime closer to what the games and series deserves. Wish it was it's own spin off series ... but I can't have nice things like that happen I guess >:'[

And that just says you love Pokemon I guess lol!
I don't have a problem with Pokemon being turn based or FE being turn based ... BUT those are really the only turn based games I play. I have never had an interest in trying one that's not from those series. I don't know why but I only like it when I see it in those 2 series.

But I surely wouldn't be against a "Tales Of" actiony Pokemon experience. That's the whole reason I wanted Smash Bro 64 when it came out ... real time Pikachu fighting!

Quest1

Green is dead.

Not so fast.

The Kalos Pokemon not having Mega's kinda bummed me out yesterday, but I guess they had to save something for later games. Still, since this is the region Mega Evolving begins at, it would be nice to see some of the natives be able to do it.

Edit: damn, BrokenGAF isn't letting me upload my Green avatar...

-Horizon-

Not so fast.

The Kalos Pokemon not having Mega's kinda bummed me out yesterday, but I guess they had to save something for later games. Still, since this is the region Mega Evolving begins at, it would be nice to see some of the natives be able to do it.

Edit: damn, BrokenGAF isn't letting me upload my Green avatar...

Mega Xerneas, BELIEVE

Calcium

Banned
Tyrunt/Tyrantrum may be my favorite of the new Pokemon. Hopefully the fossil reviving process isn't too late into the game.

This is the first Pokemon game that I've been keeping up with before release, what are the chances of them releasing the final evolutions for the starters? I'm torn between Chespin and Froakie and I'd hate to choose the wrong one when I get my hands on the game.

Fireblend

Banned
Anyone see this Polygon article talking to Masuda? Masuda apparently decided to put running in the game immediately because he walked to slow in Paris.

Finally, the french are good for something!
I kid, I kid, of course

So, how big do you guys expect Kalos to be? I found this pic earlier which might have been posted ages ago but thought it was interesting (Linking only due to potential spoilers, it's an annotated version of the Kalos map using released screenshots and information available so far): http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2...on_observation_by_pokemon_diamond-d65dxkg.png

What also makes me wonder about it is that it's been mentioned several times that this time around the camera is considerably more "zoomed in" than in previous games. I was searching the web for some sort of comparison between the different gens' region sizes, but I couldn't find anything. Was the region for B/W2 the biggest one yet?

Caladrius

What also makes me wonder about it is that it's been mentioned several times that this time around the camera is considerably more "zoomed in" than in previous games. I was searching the web for some sort of comparison between the different gens' region sizes, but I couldn't find anything. Was the region for B/W2 the biggest one yet?

Just about, it was either B2W2 Unova or Sinnoh that was largest.

I want a Super Duper Hyper Ubercharged Omega Princess Burst Saiyan 4 Delta EX Pokemon.

DaBoss

Sinnoh feels larger to me because it used the space on the map more "effectively" than New Unova, but when I think about it, I really can't tell.

But it really seems that Kalos is significantly larger than the other 2 regions.

Keyouta

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/09/interview_junichi_masuda_and_hironobu_yoshida_discuss_pokemon_x_and_y_mega_evolutions_and_the_2ds

In regards to the key system that existed in Black and White 2 that was something that we implemented after we had the balance right in Pokémon Black and White, so we put that in to add in some more options as a sequel to the game. But as X and Y is a totally new entry we have added a lot of new changes, and completely rebalanced the game, so we didn’t really think about putting in a similar system this time around.

Well, there goes my hope for a difficulty option. That sucks.

Toxi

Banned
Wasn't there something about how Speed in the games is less about how fast a Pokemon is at top speed, but more about agility?
I think it's based on how fast a Pokemon can aim and fire off an attack.

Look at Alakazam, it barely looks like it can even walk, yet it has a base speed of 120. The geezer is probably that fast because it just has to look at an opponent and concentrate to crush the poor bastard into a cube.

Dr. Buni

http://www.gamesradar.com/pokemon-x...ource=fb&utm_medium=emp&utm_campaign=pokexyFB

After mulling over the question for a bit, Yoshida was the one to answer: “With each time with the starter pokemon, we always focus on making each one of them kind of equally a pokemon that you’d wanna pick. [We want to] make it hard to pick one of [the starters] because we’re making them equally appealing. One thing that might have been different about this time is that with the addition of the Pokemon-Amie mode and the ability to reach out and pet pokemon, and to be able to interact with them directly, I think we were focused on that a little more with these starters.
Later on in the interview, Yoshida answered a bit more about them: “So with the inspiration for the region being France and the setting being closer to a European type thing. The three starters this time evolve in a way, we can’t really tell you what the exact details are, but they evolve in a way that make people think of one of those medieval RPG’s. So that’ll be something in store for you.

I hope the designs are really good, because I was never a fan of medieval stuff ;_;

Dr. Buni

I think they meant the "Warrior, Rogue and Mage" concept.

Or maybe that Chespin will evolve into a flail.

He's talking about the Fighter-Mage-Thief player archetypes of classic tabletop games.

Oh god Chespinthree is going to be a poor man's Ferrothorn.

Yeah, I know and I am not really... a fan of Warrior things... I am bit worried about Chespin now ;_; Then again the concepts don't really matter sometimes.

On other hand, it is nice to see that Frogadier isn't going to evolve into a ninja, like some people thought.

Btw, according to Yoshida, Frogadier's evolution is spetacular and Froakie is his favorite Pokémon. It must look very good, uh?

Toxi

Banned
On other hand, it is nice to see that Frogadier isn't going to evolve into a ninja, like some people thought.
Ninjas and rogues fill similar archetypes in fiction; they're both the stealthy sort who rely on trickery and agility instead of armor and power. Honestly, Froakie being associated with a rogue makes it more likely the last evolution will look like a ninja.

Top Bottom