• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

DMG-01

I'm actually getting pretty hyped for Poketto Monsutaa Ji Orijin as the announcer calls it. Two questions since I'm too lazy to look up the answers myself: :p

1. Will there be an easy/legal/free way for us not in Japan to watch it? (Subs or no.)
2. Isn't the new season of the anime airing on the same date?

PK Gaming

You rang?

6v6 is my favourite style and I wish it were utilized more in the competitive scene. There's just something about watching my Rampardos mow down 6 enemy Pokémon that can't be replicated...
The reason why 6v6 doesn't have an official competitive scene is because 6v6 matches take too long. Sadly, they just don't work in a tournament format (especially if someone decides to bring a Stall team.)

Having said that, 6v6 is still my favorite format and i'm content with an unofficial ruleset. (one day i'll play VGC...)

The reason why 6v6 doesn't have an official competitive scene is because 6v6 matches take too long. Sadly, they just don't work in a tournament format (especially if someone decides to bring a Stall team.)

Having said that, 6v6 is still my favorite format and i'm content with an unofficial ruleset. (one day i'll play VGC...)
That's the main reason, yeah. 6v6 can take absurd amounts of time on the actual cart. They likely went with 4v4 Doubles because the matches are fast while still having lots of strategic depth - 3v3's fun but the strategies are a lot less varied since it's so offense-oriented.

Hooray for Smogon for taking care of the rules and battle sims for making things not take forever!

I did some 6v6 Singles and Doubles a few weeks ago IRL. They didn't take long but that's because they were one-sided.

Forkball

I just want XY to be really open when it comes to online battling. Let people do what they want. 3v3, 4v4, 6v6, flat battles, non-flat battles etc. I would like it if it also raised the levels of Pokemon TO 50 in certain online battle modes. It's annoying to have your Pokemon set for battle in regards to moveset but then you have to train it 20 more levels so it can compete online.

Firestorm

People here play the format that the single-player, card game, anime, and battle simulators promote instead of the one used in official tournaments? Crazy.

It'd be interesting if Gamefreak actually put more effort integrating 3v3 chosen from six into the single-player. It might make gym battles more fun and challenging.
How many battles have you played in the game where your opponent has a party of six Pokemon? How many battles in the anime? And what would a battle simulator have to do with this?
The thread's silly to begin with, really. The article's overall tone is different from what the thread title says and the translation going on in that article's bad, too.
Agreed. OP was biased and trying to twist the message.
I don't have an issue with Gamefreak focusing on 3 vs 3; I just think it's silly to expect the majority of people to care how balanced or unbalanced that format is when they're generally not playing it outside of the postgame battle facilities.
I don't think there's much to be done about balancing in-game rather than the competitive game. Game Freak likely looks at Japan more than the rest of the world in all aspects of their design. 3v3 is much more popular than 6v6 there. It has been the standard for 15 years.

Toxi

Banned
While I normally like B2W2's soundtrack, I hate Humilau City's theme. Imagine listening to the first ten seconds of that every time you enter the city or exit the Pokemon Center. Makes me want to strangle a Purrloin, preferably the one Hugh keeps yammering about.

How many battles have you played in the game where your opponent has a party of six Pokemon? How many battles in the anime? And what would a battle simulator have to do with this?

Game Freak likely looks at Japan more than the rest of the world in all aspects of their design. 3v3 is much more popular than 6v6 there. It has been the standard for 15 years.
I don't think you get what I was saying.

A lot of people in this thread realize that Gamefreak balances for 3 vs 3, but most people who play Pokemon don't care about 3 vs 3. It's ridiculous to act like they're know-nothings just because they don't appreciate the Gamefreak selected format.

As for the single-player, anime, and battle simulators, I'm just referring to the Pokemon media people on these forums (we were talking about a forum thread, remember) would be exposed to. In the games, you get a team of six Pokemon to use. In the anime, important league battles are six vs six. In battle simulators, the most popular format is six vs six. It's not hard to believe that people would care more about the balance for six vs six when it's effectively become "the standard" in everything but competitive play.

I'm not sure if this is not looked fondly upon-but I purchased an Action Replay for Soul Silver and Black to get the Event Pokemon that I missed out on-since I only got into the series this year. I cannot get it to work for the life of me-I added some codes, I plug the AR in, put the cart in on that-start it up, choose the code I want. I'm supposed to press L+R at the same time apparently, which I do in game before I enter the Pokemart. They're supposed to be in the Box-but I don't see anything. What am I doing wrong? When am I supposed to push the buttons together-and am I supposed to hold it down? I feel so stupid.

Also-if this is against the rules here-I'll delete this.

Firestorm

While I normally like B2W2's soundtrack, I hate Humilau City's theme. Imagine listening to the first ten seconds of that every time you enter the city or exit the Pokemon Center. Makes me want to strangle a Purrloin, preferably the one Hugh keeps yammering about.
Literally the worst song in Pokemon.

I don't think you get what I was saying.

A lot of people in this thread realize that Gamefreak balances for 3 vs 3, but most people who play Pokemon don't care about 3 vs 3. It's ridiculous to act like they're know-nothings just because they don't appreciate the Gamefreak selected format.

As for the single-player, anime, and battle simulators, I'm just referring to the Pokemon media people on these forums (we were talking about a forum thread, remember) would be exposed to. In the games, you get a team of six Pokemon to use. In the anime, important league battles are six vs six. In battle simulators, the most popular format is six vs six. It's not hard to believe that people would care more about the balance for six vs six when it's effectively become "the standard" in everything but competitive play.
The thing is most of those people don't play competitively. They don't know or care about balance. They use their in-game teams and have a blast. Those who care about playing at the highest level are the ones who look deeper and find out the rulesets the games are balanced for. I honestly don't think Game Freak looks outside Japan much, otherwise I assume we'd have more online features. They balance for the most popular formats.

I agree that the single player game could do a lot better to prepare players for competitive formats though. My biggest complaint with the games is how large the difference is between single player and multiplayer.

They said there would be EV training mentioned and implemented in-game in some way, which is sort of a big step.

Maybe there will be the barest bit of matchmaking implemented? The random matchups I played in Black 2 were only against Japanese players with hundreds of wins.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
3 weeks til release date!

As Sam L J says, Hold on to yer butts!

Also I'm going digital. Stupid release date :(

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm actually getting pretty hyped for Poketto Monsutaa Ji Orijin as the announcer calls it. Two questions since I'm too lazy to look up the answers myself: :p

1. Will there be an easy/legal/free way for us not in Japan to watch it? (Subs or no.)

Nope, Origin airs on a Wednesday, the normal Anime on Thursday.

However, that week the Anime is actually running a "special" episode between BW and XY focused on Cilan and Brock. XY doesn't start till the week after.

Firestorm

They said there would be EV training mentioned and implemented in-game in some way, which is sort of a big step.

Maybe there will be the barest bit of matchmaking implemented? The random matchups I played in Black 2 were only against Japanese players with hundreds of wins.
Yeah matchmaking sucks. I get paired up with people at 1400 rating or less even at 1750+. My friends get them at over 2000 Elo. It sucks doing that then having everything in the battle go wrong. Kills your ranking. Wouldn't normally matter that much but they have tournaments that award Championship Points based on Elo =/

They'll have Super Training which allows you to change your EVs -- or base stats as they're calling them officially. Should make the process of getting your Pokemon competitively viable much more transparent.

Quick check in: has any of my graphic guys made anything yet? Only 2-3 weeks left until the release :p Also thread will go up a day or two before release day. Another thing: is it possible to pm a mod and ask to set a few rules? Don't want people port begging or derailing the thread with random crap.

Forkball

On the plus side, you can see different high level strategies in action. That's more fun than actually beating one of their Pokemon, right?

Quick check in: has any of my graphic guys made anything yet? Only 2-3 weeks left until the release :p Also thread will go up a day or two before release day. Another thing: is it possible to pm a mod and ask to set a few rules? Don't want people port begging or derailing the thread with random crap.

For the second point, it never hurts to ask a mod. :)

Graphics guys?

Firestorm

Threads normally go up 7 days before the game comes out. I don't think port derailing will be an issue for Pokemon.

JoeM86

1. Legal? No, not until the BluRay is out and then it's buy the DVD/BluRay
2. No. Pokémon The Origin is on October 2nd. Pokémon XY starts October 17th

Forkball

Bridges were pretty interesting and Village Bridge is definitely a stand out.

I've been playing BW again and I'm appreciating it more than when I initially did. I really loved it when I first played it, but I felt that they really took the focus away from exploration and instead focused heavily on battling. Many routes were pretty straight forward and there weren't as many elaborate or secret areas as in past Pokemon games. But some of the routes are pretty well designed like the aforementioned Village Bridge. You run into some pretty quirky people as well, such as the French speakers in one area. I still think DPP and HGSS have more rich overworlds, but BW does a good job at providing something new.

Boss Doggie

*looks at Pokemon Facebook's entry on the two new Pokemon*
*looks at the comments*

Ugh...

Just...

I need Advil...

Qurupeke

The haunted mansion in B2W2 was friggin awesome.

DP was the first one to introduce a haunted mansion, but B2W2 really made this perfect. Well, there was of course the Lavender Tower and Mt.Pyre in Gen 1, Gen 3 respectively but nothing felt as awesome as the haunted mansions. And I really want Rotom to be obtainable like DP... The first time I met it, I was shockedt, as I didn't know its existence.

JoeM86

The Royal Mail strike previously announced will not be October 10th, but will in fact be October 23rd at the earliest, so people in the UK don't have to worry.

*looks at Pokemon Facebook's entry on the two new Pokemon*
*looks at the comments*

Ugh...

Just...

I need Advil...

Yeah, the comments on the official FB whenever there's something new are hilarious, then ridiculously depressing

The Royal Mail strike previously announced will not be October 10th, but will in fact be October 23rd at the earliest, so people in the UK don't have to worry.

Yeah, the comments on the official FB whenever there's something new are hilarious, then ridiculously depressing
What were the comments?

ShopTo, of course. Also have a pre-order for the other version on Flubit. Both have a history of getting games to people early

I've also gone ShopTo, are you expecting it on Friday then? ShopTo are dispatching on Thursday with next day delivery I believe so I'm reasonably confident.

Tyrunt reminds me of Gon.

d768e82d-9616-4c8c-bd28-6479a1dd8cd3_zpsd784e797.jpg

Agumon reminds me of it too. They're all dinosaurs with big heads *shrug*.

Tyrunt and Tyrantrum look amazing btw. I'll be switching up my team quite a bit with all these great pokes.

Caladrius

Tyrunt and Tyrantrum look amazing btw. I'll be switching up my team quite a bit with all these great pokes.

I always have a hard time switching Pokemon out of my party. (The only time I've ever done so was switching out Dunsparce because he becomes extremely hard to use reliably after Ecruteak city.;_;) I get attached to them fairly quickly,and ever since my Emerald File got corrupted and I had to start all the games over from scratch I keep the first 6 pokemon I choose and stick them together as a Unit forever. Before Gen V where I couldn't raise 6 pokemon at once I usually added 2-3 team members after the fact or merged multiple teams from the same region.

Dr. Buni

I always have a hard time switching Pokemon out of my party. (The only time I've ever done so was switching out Dunsparce because he becomes extremely hard to use reliably after Ecruteak city.;_;) I get attached to them fairly quickly,and ever since my Emerald File got corrupted and I had to start all the games over from scratch I keep the first 6 pokemon I choose and stick them together as a Unit forever. Before Gen V where I couldn't raise 6 pokemon at once I usually added 2-3 team members after the fact or merged multiple teams from the same region.

That is cute. :p

Heh, I'd feel like I'm missing out if I did that. The games offer a lot of choice and cool designs so I like to try out a whole bunch of them. Especially this time around there will be more incentive to train new Pokemon to find out what the evolution will be without looking for it online first.

I usually keep 2 or 3 pokes in my party (like with White 2 I used Serperior, Scrafty and Magnezone) then switch around the others. Then I'm not underleveled either.

Hey, I'm not the only one! Lol. My brother is actually nicknaming his Tyrunt Gon for his playthrough.

I was gonna do the same :p.

Caladrius

That is cute. :p

I like to think so.
Probably very mushy, but when you think of a generation, what pokemon usually come to mind first for you?

Sure, there are pokemon that I come to like in hindsight or when they get evolved forms (Houndoom, Mawile,) or I didn't really get to be familiar with (Golurk, Garchomp, Alakazam), but these are pokemon I go discover a new region with, to me they (alongside the legends) become emblematic of the region and what my first trials through it were like. I'll gain new experience or some pokemon become preferred later on, but those pokemon are a big part of your first experience and I think are worth keeping close no matter what, and I can still remember all of my teams from my first go-around.

Heh, I'd feel like I'm missing out if I did that. The games offer a lot of choice and cool designs so I like to try out a whole bunch of them. Especially this time around there will be more incentive to train new Pokemon to find out what the evolution will be without looking for it online first.
That's a pretty nice way to go about it the more I think about it. My bizarre compulsions won't let me do that, but it's food for thought on a subsequent playthrough.

qq more

I expected something far worse than what it actually is. But yeah pretty forgettable and lame theme though for sure. Town themes are usually great but this one... ehhhhhhhhh

Boss Doggie

Everything in Humilau must go. Especially Marlon.
I'd be lying if I said Tyrunt and Tyrantrum didn't remind me of Digimon, but they look great, so I don't care if they remind Digimon.

It's more of a "generic Japanese T-Rex" template than anything really.

Top Bottom