• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Caladrius

Ninjas and rogues fill similar archetypes in fiction; they're both the stealthy sort who rely on trickery and agility instead of armor and power. Honestly, Froakie being associated with a rogue makes it more likely the last evolution will look like a ninja.

Indeed. Ninjas are sometimes depicted with scarves, including a certain slug and Frog

617Accelgor.png

One of the pokemon I regret not being able to use in B/W. Stupid trade Evos.

Zeroth

Yeah, I know and I am not really... a fan of Warrior things... I am bit worried about Chespin now ;_; Then again the concepts don't really matter sometimes.

On other hand, it is nice to see that Frogadier isn't going to evolve into a ninja, like some people thought.

Btw, according to Yoshida, Frogadier's evolution is spetacular and Froakie is his favorite Pokémon. It must look very good, uh?

Chespin final evo just leaked.

And I suppose it will, though [insert favorite starter] will still be superior.

Dr. Buni

Ninjas and rogues fill similar archetypes in fiction; they're both the stealthy sort who rely on trickery and agility instead of armor and power. Honestly, Froakie being associated with a rogue makes it more likely the last evolution will look like a ninja.

But its design would be (theoretically) different than if it was truly based on a ninja. Yoshida wouldn't have said that the starters are based on European concepts if Frogadier's evolution was based on a ninja, methinks. It is not like I have a thing against ninjas, though, as long as they respect the concept, it is fine.

Chespin final evo just leaked.

And I suppose it will, though [insert favorite starter] will still be superior.

Empoleon best starter 4ever. And the link is broken.

Frost_Ace

Accelgor is so cool-looking. I should totally trade a Karrablast or Shelmet for my B2 playthrough.

That's not a leak, that's just the way fanartists see Fennekin.

Random question: If Samus Aran from the Metroid series owned a team of six Pokemon, which ones would they be?

6 voltorbs.

Caladrius

'K.
*gets out DS Phat and opens up RNG Reporter* I don't do that much anymore, though.

Oh pooper I was supposed to get on RNG'ing the event pogeymans and some choice Gen IV pogeymans (Kyogre, Mewtwo, Ho-Oh and regular-colored Giratina and Dialga) before XY.

This is going to suck.

I just got a bunch of event Pokemon using PokeSav + a level 1 Giratina in HG/SS using the Arceus event. Never really EV trained before though (and I still need to finish Soul Silver and White 2, eep!)

Sad I cant bring Spike/Notched Ear Pichu over to X/Y - I guess I could evolve her, but then she would not be notch-eared and adorable anymore ;_;

The thread's silly to begin with, really. The article's overall tone is different from what the thread title says and the translation going on in that article's bad, too.

They either don't or only play 6v6 Singles.

That said, judging from past games the only things GF would patch would be slight modifications to moves and bugs.

GF generally only patch glaring game bugs that affect the game experience in some significant fashion and technically were one of the first to do such things on a Nintendo system.

Ruby and Sapphire had a pretty lousy bug that meant if the games timer ticked over a year, berries would stop growing on plants, meaning berries became unobtainable forever in your game. Game Freak sort of made a patch (that went onto a US only gamecube demo disc - dem days of no wifi) that not only patched that problem, but also gave you a shiny Zigzagoon for your hassles too.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Ruby and Sapphire had a pretty lousy bug that meant if the games timer ticked over a year, berries would stop growing on plants, meaning berries became unobtainable forever in your game. Game Freak sort of made a patch (that went onto a US only gamecube demo disc - dem days of no wifi) that not only patched that problem, but also gave you a shiny Zigzagoon for your hassles too.

In Europe they let people send in their cartridges and they'd mail it back fixed and with the shiny Zigzagoon you mentioned deposited in one of your boxes.

Toxi

Banned
So that's why so many people have a shiny Zigzagoon. And here I just thought the little raccoon was just that common.

They either don't or only play 6v6 Singles.
People here play the format that the single-player, card game, anime, and battle simulators promote instead of the one used in official tournaments? Crazy.

It'd be interesting if Gamefreak actually put more effort integrating 3v3 chosen from six into the single-player. It might make gym battles more fun and challenging.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
So that's why so many people have a shiny Zigzagoon. And here I just thought the little raccoon was just that common.

It had the Attack raising berry that could only be found on that unnecessarily insane to reach Mirage Island as its hold item.

DaBoss

I remember when that happened to me, I was bummed out, but I remember reading that trading profiles or whatever it was called with a copy of emerald fixes it or something.

In Europe they let people send in their cartridges and they'd mail it back fixed and with the shiny Zigzagoon you mentioned deposited in one of your boxes.

Really? Man I must of missed that, though I kind of never owned Ruby or Sapphire...for some reason I skipped them over and got Leaf Green instead - but I remember wanting Emerald so bad back in the day. Wasn't quite at the stage where I could earn the moneys and buy it myself : (

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I remember when that happened to me, I was bummed out, but I remember reading that trading profiles or whatever it was called with a copy of emerald fixes it or something.

Mixing Records? Could be.

It had the Attack raising berry that could only be found on that unnecessarily insane to reach Mirage Island as its hold item.

I could never reach that place, then my cart's battery died. Such a shame that it's probably going to be a while before those resistance and stat-up berries get distributed again.

Dream world gets a lot of unique berries, take it this perticular berry isn't found on dream world at all too?

EDIT: It's the Liechi Berry apparently, the Summer 2010 Jirachi had it, and can be brought in Battle Revolution and Join Avenues Flower Shop. Otherwise nope, no joy on dream world

I can get Liechi berries in Gen V if people need them.
People here play the format that the single-player, card game, anime, and battle simulators promote instead of the one used in official tournaments? Crazy.
3v3 is what all of the "competitive" ingame stuff has used since Gen II, though. It seems to me that as far as Singles go GF cares about 3v3, not 6v6.

It's not like 6v6 Singles is teh devil or anything. It's just that a lot of the balance issues present in 6v6 Singles aren't as much of an issue in the GBU formats.

P.S. The anime doesn't really promote 6v6. 6v6 battles in the anime are very rare. /nerdmoment

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I can get Liechi berries in Gen V if people need them.

3v3 is what all of the "competitive" ingame stuff has used since Gen II, though. It seems to me that as far as Singles go GF cares about 3v3, not 6v6.

It's not like 6v6 Singles is teh devil or anything. It's just that a lot of the balance issues present in 6v6 Singles aren't as much of an issue in the GBU formats.

P.S. The anime doesn't really promote 6v6. 6v6 battles in the anime are very rare. /nerdmoment

Really hope 6v6 Singles will at least be an option in online matchmaking.

Toxi

Banned

I don't have an issue with Gamefreak focusing on 3 vs 3; I just think it's silly to expect the majority of people to care how balanced or unbalanced that format is when they're generally not playing it outside of the postgame battle facilities.

(I also think forcing a choice of 3 in gym leader battles could be pretty awesome. It would help compensate for the reduced rosters they gave gym leaders in Unova.)

IIRC, unofficial and gym battles in the anime vary anywhere from 1 vs 1 to 6 vs 3 (Roxie's a badass), but important league battles (AKA not fighting Joe Schmoe's Seadra, Golbat, and Cloister) are 6 vs 6.

True. Hmm, maybe I should clarify what I'm trying to say:

What I'm trying to say is that complaining about GameFreak not doing balance patches is silly when GF likely wouldn't even try too hard to balance their format of choice. Now, it's possible that GF tries very hard to balance and support that format but it sure doesn't look like that to me.

EDIT: Then again, this is kinda silly to talk about in the first place because GF's methods of balancing in a given gen are usually just new moves.

obligatory patch stealth rock.
I think they should do it since the move isn't used in any other format anyways and any nerf to that would be a good thing since it's so OP in the one format it's used in. If it turns out that SR is nerfed in Gen VI then I will be so damn happy.

Top Bottom