• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Caladrius

As much as I'd like getting the shiny Haxorus, I'm not bothering to fill the dex in b/w2. :p I'll do that in x/y seeing as it'd probably be easier. I hope you get something special for doing it.

There was mention of making it even easier to obtain Shiny pokemon in one of the interviews IIRC. I wouldn't be surprised if they upped the chances to over 1/500.
1/50 I want a shiny Gallade and a Shiny Starmie Plz.

Firestorm

I always have a hard time switching Pokemon out of my party. (The only time I've ever done so was switching out Dunsparce because he becomes extremely hard to use reliably after Ecruteak city.;_;) I get attached to them fairly quickly,and ever since my Emerald File got corrupted and I had to start all the games over from scratch I keep the first 6 pokemon I choose and stick them together as a Unit forever. Before Gen V where I couldn't raise 6 pokemon at once I usually added 2-3 team members after the fact or merged multiple teams from the same region.
You are not alone. Due to this most of the Pokemon I use are usually found early in the game unless there's something I know I want later that I hold out for.

Caladrius

Can someone make a list of the changes and additions that were introduced in each generation?

I think Bulbapedia has a comprehensive list, but the basic rundown off the top of my head is like this:

Gen 2
-Dark and Steel types Jynx is Screwed
-Special Stat is split into Special Attack and Special Defense.
- Mystery Gift
-Roamers
-Time of Day
- Bottomless pockets
-Sex determination
-Breeding
-Egg moves
-Weather introduced. Politoed plots its ascendance into Godhood
-Branched evolution
-Pokerus
-Introduced unified Region mythology.
-Cartridge saves still die after 5 years.
-Shiny Pokemon
-IN COLOR!

Gen 3
-Pokemon contests
-Double battles. Competitive players are baffled
-Hail
-Abilities
-Removed time of day
-Removed backwards compatibility due to hardware issues
-Berries
-Secret Bases
-External Mass pokemon storage
-Battle Frontier
-Pokemon Forms
-Your rival is completely hopeless and gets replaced partway through by an asthmatic.
-Overhauled overall Pokemon data structure, IV's changed from 1-15 to 0-31, EV's now cap at 510 and are calculated differently. Females no longer have lower attack IV's, Shiny pokemon with 1:7 F:M sex ratio can now be female
-Cartridges no longer die after 5 years.
-Players conditioned to hate surfing

Gen 4
-Physical/Special Split. Dodrio is screwed
-3D overworld
-Full motion Cutscenes
-Gender based branched evolution. Intoduces the best pokemon ever.
-Location based evolution.
-Time of Day (again)
-Single-species sexual dimorphism.
-Item finder and Pokeradar
-Flash no longer an HM, replaced with something even more aggravating.
-Event pokemon peak at 5
-Secret bases removed for being too awesome, replaced with Sinnoh Underground.
-HM's on the cusp of taking over the world, peaking at 8
- Games switch over to flash carts, awesome colored media gone forever.
-Introduces the most worthless legendary pokemon
-Introduces the best Legendary pokemon
-EV modifying held items
-God is now your slave

Gen V
-Triple battles. Competitive players still baffled.
-Rotation battles.
-Dream World. Dozens of pokemon no longer suck. Delibird still terrible
-Pokemon musicals
-Defog no longer an HM
-Non-pokemon opponents. (technically 3 but XD isn't a part of the main series)
-Entra-Link I completely forgot this existed until I had to think of what was added.
-Pokemon Fusion (for Kyurem B and W)
-Scrafty
-Explosion is reduced to 200 power and no longer halves defense in damage calculation. Damp now a waste of time.
-You are now regularly challenged by two annoying idiots instead of one.
-3D interiors
- EV's calculated after every battle for all pokemon.

Gen VI

-Fairy types. Hydreigon is screwed
-Mega Evolution. Mawile is no longer useless
-Cloud based pokemon storage
-Pokemon-Amie friendship feature
-Super Training (New EV method)
-First time EV's are displayed in-game.
-First time two sets of starters are given out during campaign.
-Sky Battles
-Horde Battles
-Moves with situational type-effectiveness
-Pre-DS era Pokemon receive cry modifications.
-8 directional movement
-Partitioned pokedex
-
T-REX
-QQ Moe

RNG Abuse that 'mon, bro!
Part of me wants to, part of me is too lazy to actually get the parents set up for it and I am reluctant to touch Gen IV RNG stuff.

You are not alone. Due to this most of the Pokemon I use are usually found early in the game unless there's something I know I want later that I hold out for.

Yeah, the later they come the weirder it seems. (Not that I don't love the ones I pick out.)

Qurupeke

I dunno if anyone ever answered your question and not to toot my own horn haha....but...

I made a pretty comprehensive list of what different stores are doing for preorders in different countries. The stuff in the US is accurate but some details may have been messed up in other countries so for those of you overseas you know..check your local retailers.

Greece here, and yeah the pre-order gifts are pretty nice. As far as I know they were planning to include a XY T-Shirt too, but something went wrong. Not complaining though. :p

You know what sucks?

Everything.

I'm probably going to be in New York City for the release of these games but I'll be unable to attend the launch at Nintendo World due to business :/

Here, have a picture:

hE58F13AE

Tusk

There was mention of making it even easier to obtain Shiny pokemon in one of the interviews IIRC. I wouldn't be surprised if they upped the chances to over 1/500.

Oh, that's pretty awesome. :p Pretty excited to get some shinies in x/y.

I think Bulbapedia has a comprehensive list, but the basic rundown off the top of my head is like this:

Gen 2
-Dark and Steel types
-Special Stat is split into Special Attack and Special Defense.
- Mystery Gift
-Roamers
-Time of Day
- Bottomless pockets
-Branched evolution
-Pokerus
- Introduced unified Region mythology
-Cartridge saves still die after 5 years.

Gen 3
-Pokemon contests
-Double battles
-Weather
-Abilities
-Removed time of day
-Removed backwards compatibility due to hardware issues
-Berries
-External Mass pokemon storage
-Battle Frontier
-Pokemon Forms
-Overhauled overall Pokemon data structure, IV's changed from 1-15 to 0-31, EV's now cap at 510 and are calculated differently
-Cartridges no longer die after 5 years.
-Players conditioned to hate surfing

Gen 4
-Physical/Special Split. Dodrio is screwed
-3D overworld
-Gender based branched evolution. Intoduces the best pokemon ever.
-Location based evolution.
-Time of Day (again)
-Single-species sexual dimorphism.
-Item finder and Pokeradar
-Event pokemon come to a head
-HM's on the cusp of taking over the world
- Games switch over to flash carts, awesome colored media gone forever.
-Introduces the most worthless legendary pokemon
-Introduces the best Legendary pokemon
-EV modifying held items

Gen V
-Triple battles
-Rotation battles
-Dream World
-Entra-Link
-Pokemon Fusion (for exactly one pokemon)
-Scrafty
-Explosion is now mediocre
-You are now regularly challenged by two annoying idiots instead of one.
-3D interiors
- EV's calculated after every battle for all pokemon.

Gen VI

-Fairy types. Hydreigon is screwed
-Mega Evolution
-Cloud based pokemon storage
-Pokemon-Amie friendship feature
-Super Training (New EV method)
-First time two sets of starters are given out.
-Moves with customized type-effectiveness
-8 directional movement
-Partitioned pokedex
-
T-REX

You forgot sky battles and horde battles. :p

I was just looking through my Gen IV games, and I still have a surprising amount of pokemon hoarded on them. Bunch of spare legends and ~40 shinies I got from the GTS. Pretty sure most of them are clones of legit ones. What with the hack check with poke transfer, I think I'll send them to XY and give them out to whoever wants 'em. They're pretty useless just sat on Diamond.

There'll be a thread just for XY when the games come out, right? So we can exchange friend codes and stuff?

Gen II is also where shiny Pokemon started too right? Gen 1's only real special Pokemon was Mew and Surfing Pikachu.

Also if people want Event Pokemon from Gen 4 or 5, y'all really should try PokeSav or PokeEdit

It's a bit hacky I guess, but the Event Pokemon transfers have all the info they need to present as legit and trigger the same event's as a legit event mon would do. I got Arceus, Meoletta and one or two others I missed over the past few years via both options and they work perfectly fine. I imagine they'll move up to Pokemon Box just fine too.

I mean I would assume, the Hack checker in Poke Transfer is looking for Pokemon with really wacked out stats and moves a Pokemon would never learn in any circumstance before blocking it. Event Pokemon files are pretty much clones of the real things down to the ribbon and the whole "apparently had a fateful encounter" thing so there would be nothing for the thing to track and go "oi, this isn't a genuine really-for-real pokemon we gave out at that one event you couldn't make because of various commitments, sorry brah"

...Man I'm so glad GameFreak embraced Wifi as a distribution method at the end of Gen 4 and most of Gen 5.

The only problem is that for Gen 4 games you need a WEP connection to make the magic happen.

-Horizon-

You know what sucks?

Everything.

I'm probably going to be in New York City for the release of these games but I'll be unable to attend the launch at Nintendo World due to business :/

Here, have a picture:

hE58F13AE

Sorry to hear that :(
No one should have to miss that most amazing of days

Now about that pic, it makes so much sense.
There should be a Regigigas in that pic :D

They really do need to look into making Shinys more common.
The way the RNG goes for this stuff if you get a random shiny that Pokemon is most likely gonna have crap-tastic ivs or the wrong nature ... like 90% of the Pokemon you get without hunting.

Luckly I RNGed a good amount of the shinies I wanted some years ago. They're all babies, ready to be named and ready to go!

I should do some shiny hunting...btw not sure if we have any Pokemon players with diff language versions here, but anyone wanna do a ditto trade for masuda method breeding?

Caladrius

fi6z.png

From Smash. Let the speculation begin!

Gonna need some more context for that one.

I was gonna egg RNG from my copy of white but for whatever reason the profile for it on the RNG program was deleted (I had a hardware failure a couple of weeks ago and I had to reset to factory settings. I had a pretty recent backup available so not much was lost). Not looking forward to working all the way back to Mistralton to calibrate. This'll be my 6th playthrough of white.;_;

The digital root of 57 is 3.

Hoenn confirmed.

Going by regional dexes, Pokemon #57 could be:

-Primeape
-Snubbull
-Electrike
-Gabite
-Sandile (first stage of Krookodile)

Maybe we're getting:
-Mega Primeape (unlikely)
-Mega Granbull (unlikely)
-Mega Manectric? (possible, as the blue / gold colors match up)
-Reiterating Mega Garchomp; maybe it has some significance in Brawl? (colors technically match up?)
-Mega Krookodile? Maybe we're getting a desert route-based level in Brawl? (it's worth noting that Sandile's shiny form is blue and gold)

I could just be making shit up, though.

5 letters in Hoenn, 7 islands in FR/LG. Hoenn super-confirmed.

In all seriousness and with no context, I would probably guess that's 57 is the number of mega-evolutions in the game.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know of an effectiveness chart for Gen VI? Are all the rebalancing details even fully known? I haven't been paying attention.

Anyone know of an effectiveness chart for Gen VI? Are all the rebalancing details even fully known? I haven't been paying attention.

Check the first chart on this page.

Long story short, Fairy is:

(Attacking)
-SE to Dragon / Dark / Fighting
-NVE on Poison / Steel / Fire
-1x effective to everything else

(Defending)
-Weak to Steel / Poison
-Resists Fighting / Bug / Dark
-Immune to Dragon
-1x resists everything else

-Steel no longer resists Ghost and Dark.

And while it's not strictly type-based, they also cleaned up the self-type resistances of some supplementary moves; for example, Spore no longer effects Grass-types.

Oh, and when I was googling type charts, I found this, which is a hilarious coincidence for those of you that watch Bob's Burgers:

halolz-dot-com-pokemonxy-newstarters-bobsburgers.png

I think it's a pretty dumb show personally

Caladrius

Steel loses its resistances to ghost and dark, Fairy is supereffective against fighting, dragon and dark and is resisted by Poison, Fire and Steel. Defensively Fairy is immune to dragon, resists bug and fighting and is weak to Poison and Steel.

Also 5x7x5=175. sounds like a total number of new pokemon, or 575 could be the size of the regional dex (BELIEVE)

Dr. Buni

175? I really doubt they are introducing that amount of new Pokémon. That is more than what Gen I and Gen V introduced.

My guess is that the Kalos Dex will have 110~120 new Pokémon, not counting Mega Evolutions.

Caladrius

175? I really doubt they are introducing that amount of new Pokémon. That is more than what Gen I and Gen V introduced.

My guess is that the Kalos Dex will have 110~120 new Pokémon, not counting Mega Evolutions.

That number was supposed to include mega evos, mah bad. Probably still extremely optimistic but that's still my wild guess.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Check the first chart on this page.

Long story short, Fairy is:

(Attacking)
-SE to Dragon / Dark / Fighting
-NVE on Poison / Steel / Fire
-1x effective to everything else

(Defending)
-Weak to Steel / Poison
-Resists Fighting / Bug / Dark
-Immune to Dragon
-1x resists everything else

-Steel no longer resists Ghost and Dark.

And while it's not strictly type-based, they also cleaned up the self-type resistances of some supplementary moves; for example, Spore no longer effects Grass-types.
Ahhhh, this is so exciting!

Caladrius

What if the ability just becomes Mega Truant? Make a move every other other turn.

So he'll move 75% of the time? :p

I hope they make Mega Luvdisc just to infuriate people.

There's a lot of pokemon I'd lke Mega evos for, but a lot of them don't have evolutions in the first place and really deserve them. (Dunsparce, Pinsir, Carnivine, Sableye, Shuckle, Banette, plenty of others I'm probably forgetting about.)

Top Bottom