• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

DaBoss

I hope they make Mega Luvdisc just to infuriate people.

Hello there.
DDJ09XB.jpg

-Horizon-

So he'll move 75% of the time? :p

I hope they make Mega Luvdisc just to infuriate people.

There's a lot of pokemon I'd lke Mega evos for, but a lot of them don't have evolutions in the first place and really deserve them. (Dunsparce, Pinsir, Carnivine, Sableye, Shuckle, Banette, plenty of others I'm probably forgetting about.)

Wait, I might have worded that wrong lol

Mega Slaking sent out, loafing, loafing, loafing, loafing...you know what, just make Mega Slaking unplayable.

You know what Pokemon needs a Mega form? Jynx.

Hello there.
DDJ09XB.jpg

GameFreak denying all logic.

Caladrius

Wait, I might have worded that wrong lol

Mega Slaking sent out, loafing, loafing, loafing, loafing...you know what, just make Mega Slaking unplayable.

You know what Pokemon needs a Mega form? Jynx.

GameFreak denying all logic.

Colosseum's final boss made me absolutely hate him. Together with that skill swap slowking he was unstoppable

Hello there.
DDJ09XB.jpg

2nd Biggest missed opportunity of Gen V right there. (The biggest was full-power Kyurem.)

Caladrius

I'm gonna miss sprites.

Alas, I can no longer make cheap sprite recolors on a whim now. If I could access the account that I made them on I would show them off.

At least the X/Y models are leagues better than the Stadium/Smash games. Battle Revolution had absolutely no damned business using polished NINTENDO 64 ASSETS.

Tusk

There's a froakie plush on ebay for like 40$. ;~; I dunno if I should buy it. I'm so tempted, but isn't the same plush coming to the states some time next month? It's made by Tomy. I think it'd be cheaper in stores if it is coming here.

Korosenai

I love how Charmander gets cuter and cuter each gen with its sprites. It starts out Gen 1 mean muggin. Gen 5 it's trying to give you a hug.

What if the ability just becomes Mega Truant? Make a move every other other turn.

I could actually see Gamefreak doing this.

Dereck

Raticate really sucks this bad? loooooool

Raticate has always been a forgotten Pokemon since its inception in RBY; the poor rodent never got a chance to shine. Its stats are horrendous, with none of them going past the base 100 benchmark. Its highest stat is its odd base 97 Speed, which is pretty good in NU. Its weird Speed stat is a blessing for this mouse, allowing it to outspeed base 95 Speed Pokemon, such as Leafeon. However, Raticate probably never developed a natural resistance to pesticide. It has horrible base 55 / 60 / 70 defenses, and an even worse typing in Normal, which provides it with only a single immunity to Ghost-type attacks, though it has only one weakness, as well. With no resistances at all, Raticate can barely survive an attack. In its journey throughout the many regions, Raticate has picked up several tricks. Just like most Normal-types, Raticate has an extremely wide movepool that stretches from Kanto to Unova, including many unexpected moves. How can a common rodent use Thunderbolt? Or blow a gust of Ice Beam? Well, these weird quirks are not all that Raticate can boast.

Toxi

Banned
Raticate really sucks this bad? loooooool
It does, but as the man who uses Magcargo, don't feel like you're required to use a quality mon. :)

There's gonna be a Garbodor Mega-Evolution right?
A trashcan-wearing Poison/Steel Pokemon. Make it happen, Gamefeak.

Are Yellow and Gold the best Blastoise sprites?
Spr_1y_009.png
Spr_2g_009.png

Though since everything is 3D and polygonal now, we won't have to worry about battle sprites.
Yellow has the best sprites period. It's not arguable, they just have such slick style.

I only got to play Red. Yellow fixed a lot of the bizarre spritework in the other Gen 1 games.

That's Blastoise Crystal sprite and I love it (the Gold one is different). I wish Blastoise looked that good in its other sprites and most artworks... and not like this:

Spr_3r_009.png

Ugh.

The Crystal sprite is just the Gold sprite with animations. The Silver sprite is different.
Spr_2s_009.png

I never liked how they animated in Gen 5 (if that's what you're referring to). It looked so... weird.

It might look weird, but it's still a change from having just two frames - or having just small animated parts. It's a bit of a compromise, to be honest - you don't exactly have infinite video RAM, and storing uncompressed animation frames in memory is going to squeeze it tight. (IIRC, the way Nintendo DS games access the game card is more like systems that access an optical disc or hard disk drive than systems that use old-school game cartridges - by file and needs to be in RAM before anything can be done.)

Anura

I never liked how they animated in Gen 5 (if that's what you're referring to). It looked so... weird.

Yeah not only did it look weird overall but the back sprites became hideous. I would have taken 2-frame animations over the awful back sprites

Top Bottom