• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah this pretty much replaces it... makes you wonder if we can get Hidden Ability mons through here.

There are so many additions coming in X and Y that I can't help but be excited.

Funnily enough I never really cared for Generation V, even though I was a huge fan of Gen I to III. Gen IV left a sour taste in my mouth. I did like all the Wi-Fi features and connectivity options they came up with though.

Needless to say I've booked the 11th off work (I thought the 12th was a Friday for some reason) and the following week to invest some serious time in a copy of Y.

I'm pondering if I should do my usual thing of going through the game with my starter(s) and having HM slaves or playing the game properly for the first time since Gen II.

Having a week off it may be the latter this time I think. Having two starters gives me the motivation to do so also, I think. Squirtle and Fennekin I've decided.

JoeM86

There are so many additions coming in X and Y that I can't help but be excited.

Funnily enough I never really cared for Generation V, even though I was a huge fan of Gen I to III. Gen IV left a sour taste in my mouth. I did like all the Wi-Fi features and connectivity options they came up with though.

Needless to say I've booked the 11th off work (I thought the 12th was a Friday for some reason) and the following week to invest some serious time in a copy of Y.

I'm pondering if I should do my usual thing of going through the game with my starter(s) and having HM slaves or playing the game properly for the first time since Gen II.

Having a week off it may be the latter this time I think. Having two starters gives me the motivation to do so also, I think. Squirtle and Fennekin I've decided.

If it follows the path of BW, it won't use many HMs at all

Forkball

Someone noticed a rideable Rhyhorn breaking a rock and theorized that instead of HMs, you will find Pokemon in the area to help you solve the puzzles. GENIUS. Though I wonder how they will pull the ol' "you can't go here yet because you don't have surf!" trick.

If it follows the path of BW, it won't use many HMs at all

True. I only really recall using Strength and Surf in White 2. Mostly only Strength in White.

Someone noticed a rideable Rhyhorn breaking a rock and theorized that instead of HMs, you will find Pokemon in the area to help you solve the puzzles. GENIUS. Though I wonder how they will pull the ol' "you can't go here yet because you don't have surf!" trick.

Would be cool too.

Just have to wait and see. This being a worldwide release makes all this information seem a bit mysterious. Really like that aspect of it. May have to grab the guide with a copy of the game. Super excited. lol

Less than three weeks! Exciting times, people.

Oh, and I finally beat Lance round 2 on HeartGold last night. I've been trying to do that for so long. Grinding with my Dragonite on Victory Road was really the key, even if it took quite a while.

Now I just have to battle through the E4 a few times to continue to level up everyone, then I can go on and take out Red. I tried doing it not that long ago and didn't even take down one of his Pokemon.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm now in full detective mode, trying to figure out which store will bring Pokemon first to Costa Rica by mass-spamming them on Facebook in order to consider that against buying it digitally
KuGsj.gif
I have no problem with Nintendo's online store scheme (I already own like 3 digital games anyway), but that boxart...

Caladrius

I loved being able to have a filled combat team around in white. I taught Cut to the elemental monkey. After the first gym was over I boxed it and never looked back. I hope they just use 3 hms (Surf,Fly and Strength aka the not-terrible moves) this time around and use Broken bridges for the rest of the railroading.

Toxi

Banned
Is it worth Day Caring a Magnemite for a Magnezone?

Or a Joltik?
Magnemite>Magneton>Magnezone is extremely powerful in Black 2. It has high special attack and a great defensive typing, its only weakness being that it's slow (and that can be fixed with Thunder Wave). Sturdy is also a life saver if you want to have some time to heal other Pokemon. Joltik>Galvantula is slightly less powerful and much less resilient, but it is much faster and still does good enough damage, especially if you catch a Joltik with Compoundeyes instead of Unnerve (which means it can launch nearly 100% accurate Thunders).

Both are very popular and awesome Electric types and I find both immensely huggable (Which shouldn't be surprising for Joltik).

Unfortunately, I find the Day Care rather slow (Or at least it was slow in previous generations; I never used it in BW). I'd rather just level up a Magnemite with switching or Exp. Share, especially after you get the item that increases gained exp; thanks to experience scaling, it should level up fairly fast that way. You can catch Joltik at higher levels than Magnemite and they both level at the same rate, so you might want to level that up instead if you want the faster option.

Recent update that's only available on the Japanese GL confirms how D/Cs will be handled in X/Y:
-If you D/C and your opponent does not you get a loss
-If your opponent D/Cs and you don't you get a win
-If you both D/C it's a "NO CONTEST". Or a wash. Or a farce. Or a waste of time.

Some people were worried about "double losses" so there you are. Oh, and normal online battles have a shorter time limit of just 30 minutes.

DarkWish

Apparently GAME in the UK is doing a promotion where you can pre-purchase Pokemon X or Y digitally so it'll be ready to play at midnight... and you get Pokedex 3D Pro as a free pre-order bonus. That's pretty sweet!

I hope we get a similar pre-purchase digital option in the US. I'd love to have my digital copy ready to play at midnight.

zroid

Banned
Apparently GAME in the UK is doing a promotion where you can pre-purchase Pokemon X or Y digitally so it'll be ready to play at midnight... and you get Pokedex 3D Pro as a free pre-order bonus. That's pretty sweet!

I hope we get a similar pre-purchase digital option in the US. I'd love to have my digital copy ready to play at midnight.

wow, that's really good

speaking of which... I hope Pokédex 3D Pro gets updated, lol.

Dawg

Review codes are expected to arrive later this week.

Excited, although I won't be able to share anything. Very strict NDA, which is understandable.

Dr. Buni

Hmm reviews? I guess the time for me to avoid Pokémon threads here on neogaf and the whole bulbagarden forums is coming.

backlot

For real? I feel like Nintendo's infrastructure wouldn't be set up to let you predownload a game.

Just a question here. Given that they have had to make 500-odd 3D models of Pokemon I would assume that a lot of work has gone into them.

That in mind, does this free up development time that was used to redraw hundreds of sprites every game?

and if so, I wonder if the removal of that work will either mean a shorter turn-around time for games or more time to work on new Pokemon, the world, etc..

Just a question here. Given that they have had to make 500-odd 3D models of Pokemon I would assume that a lot of work has gone into them.

That in mind, does this free up development time that was used to redraw hundreds of sprites every game?

and if so, I wonder if the removal of that work will either mean a shorter turn-around time for games or more time to work on new Pokemon, the world, etc..
Well, maybe the dev costs will decrease a bit. However, they are on a pretty steady time schedule with new gens/games (new games almost every year, new gens every 3-4 years) despite having more and more to deal with every time.

Dawg

Will you at least be able to say if you like it? XD I don't want to wait for the actual reviews FFFFFF-

They would have to do a lot of things wrong for me not to like it :p I played the demo two weeks ago and that was just a small area with a go goat and mewtwo fight and I was already impressed by that ^^

-Horizon-

You know, PokéMiles sounds like something that belong to some kind of frequent flyer program. I just can't shake off that feeling.

Thank you today for flying Air Yveltal with us. Current outdoor conditions are in the low to mid 70s with 2-3 mph gusts coming from the northwest. Approximate flight time from Lumiose to Shalour is 2 hours. Please give your attention to the flight attendants as they demonstrate safety procedures.

YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH BADGES TO CONTROL ME!!!

Not allowing you to use certain ridable Pokémon until you have the required Gym Badge would be a pretty good replacement for HMs.
Although we'll be stuck with HMs forever...

Dr. Buni

Shorter than it already is? We are already getting Pokémon games yearly...

Top Bottom