• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Any European fans in here who are down with the digital downloads? I'm wondering how your midnight releases work.

blamite

If you guys ever meet a random shiny Pokémon, would you try your luck with weakening it and using a more standard ball, or would you just go with a Master Ball?
I'd probably just start throwing normal balls at it without fighting it at all, aside from paralyzing it... I have ton on me at all times so it's okay if it takes a few!
The question is, which midnight will it be released...
In the US, midnight Eastern.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've had a shiny graveler SD on me and my friend fainted a shiny makuhita while leveling on Victory Road while I was watching him. Both of those I'd throw a masterball at if I had one.

Macka

Would a wild Pokemon self destruct if it was facing a Ghost type Pokemon? I'm pretty sure they would in older games but am not sure if the AI is more advanced now...

Growlie19

Would a wild Pokemon self destruct if it was facing a Ghost type Pokemon? I'm pretty sure they would in older games but am not sure if the AI is more advanced now...

They very well could. All wild Pokémon and some early game trainers pick their moves at random. Probably due to either not being trained or lack of experience with battling. So your shiny Graveler could waste its time Defense Curling or explode immediately.

There's talk of shiny Pokemon? I don't have a single one. :[

Well, I can't be too sad. I haven't really done shiny hunting. I'll wait for X and Y before I attempt it. Maybe the shiny mechanics will change, since a good amount of old mechanics were given slight changes.

Also, X and Y come out on a Saturday? Hmmm. Is Sunday the normal day for video games to come out in Japan? That may explain it. In any case, I won't be able to touch it until the Tuesday-Wednesday after. Curses!

Toxi

Banned
Even though I don't watch the anime, it still bugs me that based on episode descriptions, a Sleep Talked Guts-boosted super-effective STAB Megahorn didn't just OHKO Darkrai.

That attack would atomize Darkrai in the games.

If you guys ever meet a random shiny Pokémon, would you try your luck with weakening it and using a more standard ball, or would you just go with a Master Ball?
Depends on the Pokemon. If it's just a com-mon, sleep or paralyze it, then spam normal balls without weakening it. If it can use Self-Destruct, USE A MASTER BALL. If it's a Legendary, USE A MASTER BALL. And if you run out of Pokeballs, USE A MASTER BALL.

Jofamo

So I thought I was being clever and paid for a download code for Pokemon X from Game. After the whole Pikmin 3 early download fiasco, I felt like taking my chances and going for it. The free download of Pokedex 3D pro was a nice bonus.

Basically, I was hoping if receive a generated code that may possibly go live earlier than the game appearing on the eshop, like Pikmin 3 did.

Unfortunately, when my email with the code for X came, instead of the code it just reads COMINGSOON, and it states that if I have prepurchased a code for a game that's not released yet, I'll receive it when it becomes available.

So help me out GAF, does GAME usually send out codes like this before release? Basically, if this code doesn't come before a midnight eshop release, I'm double dipping on Y. I NEED THIS GAME AT MIDNIGHT DAMMIT :p

Tusk

I want X to be my first experiance(Also getting Y), but I want the game at midnight. Buuuttt, I want the physical box. :p So, not sure what I'll be doing. Guess I'll just have to force myself to be patient.

Toxi

Banned
Back when Ruby and Sapphire weren't out in the states yet, I got a bunch of Japanese cards including a holographic Swampert. When I brought them to trade with someone else, the guy told me the holographic card's English name was Swampagoon.

So whenever I think about Swampert, I also think about how much I wish its name was Swampagoon. :(

I want X to be my first experiance(Also getting Y), but I want the game at midnight. Buuuttt, I want the physical box. :p So, not sure what I'll be doing. Guess I'll just have to force myself to be patient.

Gonna order the Pokemon 3DSXL from BestBuy today, order the game from the eshop so that I can get it at mid-night on THAT 3DS and, if I can make a chocolate male character that lives up to my expectations, I will get the other version as a physical copy that can been played on either of my 3DSs. If i can't theeeeen I'm just gonna stay with one copy and make a Storm themed character.

All(minus a few) of Ash's pokemans:

DP367.jpg

So I thought I was being clever and paid for a download code for Pokemon X from Game. After the whole Pikmin 3 early download fiasco, I felt like taking my chances and going for it. The free download of Pokedex 3D pro was a nice bonus.

Basically, I was hoping if receive a generated code that may possibly go live earlier than the game appearing on the eshop, like Pikmin 3 did.

Unfortunately, when my email with the code for X came, instead of the code it just reads COMINGSOON, and it states that if I have prepurchased a code for a game that's not released yet, I'll receive it when it becomes available.

So help me out GAF, does GAME usually send out codes like this before release? Basically, if this code doesn't come before a midnight eshop release, I'm double dipping on Y. I NEED THIS GAME AT MIDNIGHT DAMMIT :p

The Pikmin 3 business was not 2 weeks in advance, it was litterally only days before release. I brought my Pikmin 3 code on the wednesday, it was generated then and there, and I was able to redeem on the spot.

I wonder if the Pikmin 3 business is what has allowed Game to negotiate this deal with Nintendo, as hopefully they learned gamers LOVE early access if your willing to offer it.

I tweeted @gamedigital on twitter to ask how exactly they could promise I was going to be able to play from midnight (rather than downloading from midnight) - apparently they will officially release codes asap, but it'll depend on when Nintendo actually activates Pokemon for download. Because it's official, I would suggest what they'll do is release codes for Thursday afternoon, and Nintendo will have Pokemon up and ready by then.

If your UK, the good news is that even if Nintendo activates Pokemon only at midnight, they go by German time, so from 11pm Pokemon will be available to download.

Jofamo

The Pikmin 3 business was not 2 weeks in advance, it was litterally only days before release. I brought my Pikmin 3 code on the wednesday, it was generated then and there, and I was able to redeem on the spot.

I wonder if the Pikmin 3 business is what has allowed Game to negotiate this deal with Nintendo, as hopefully they learned gamers LOVE early access if your willing to offer it.

I tweeted @gamedigital on twitter to ask how exactly they could promise I was going to be able to play from midnight (rather than downloading from midnight) - apparently they will officially release codes asap, but it'll depend on when Nintendo actually activates Pokemon for download. Because it's official, I would suggest what they'll do is release codes for Thursday afternoon, and Nintendo will have Pokemon up and ready by then.

If your UK, the good news is that even if Nintendo activates Pokemon only at midnight, they go by German time, so from 11pm Pokemon will be available to download.

Cheers for the info. I didn't mean to sound like I expected to play it two weeks in advance, the day or two before ala Pikmin 3 is what I meant.

And watch as Nintendo's servers melt into so many little puddles :D

I dunno, in EU when Animal Crossing launched, a LOT of people picked AC as their free game in the "So Many Games" promotion. I was able to download from 11pm without any issue. If Nintendo's servers could handle Animal Crossing being released, they can handle a digital release of Pokemon just fine.

Many people will not opt for a digital copy of Pokemon, no matter how many carrots you throw at them anyway. Something about Nintendo's shoddy tied to consoles business and trading between copies (remember, Pokemon Bank isn't available till December so you have 2 months where you can't cart Pokemon between digital copies...)

Well, there is the fact that it's releasing everywhere at the same time (Oct. 12), unlike AC which had a staggered release(Nov 8 2012 Japan, Feb. 7 Korea, June 9 US, June 14 Europe, June 15 Australia).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
In some ways Pokémon is an even better digital purchase than AC.

They both last awhile, both are perfect for short bursts and long hauls but honestly Pokémon has even more content, more opportunities for multiplayer and holds it price even closer than AC games.

All I want to do online for the first few weeks is get that Torchic. Though it'll probably be male, so Speed Boost Blaziken won't be the norm. I still think it's pretty messed-up to have such a powerful, non-legendary Pokemon be so restricted.

Firemind

In some ways Pokémon is an even better digital purchase than AC.

They both last awhile, both are perfect for short bursts and long hauls but honestly Pokémon has even more content, more opportunities for multiplayer and holds it price even closer than AC games.

I've been paranoid ever since someone broke into my house and stole my DS. Luckily, I just started a B2 playthrough, so not much harm done except the loss of possession. I'd be super bummed if that were to happen again, so better to be safe than sorry by buying physical games until Nintendo has unified accounts.

Firemind

Naturally, but at least it may help to store the hardware and software separately. The way I see it, burglars are more inclined to go for shiny hardware rather than tiny cartridges that may or may not have value.

Caladrius

Naturally, but at least it may help to store the hardware and software separately. The way I see it, burglars are more inclined to go for shiny hardware rather than tiny cartridges that may or may not have value.

On top of that, you can keep cartridges sequestered in places they're likely to overlook. I keep my living pokedex (White 2 in da house) in a teeny-weeny corner of the closet buried under some clothes.(2/3rds of my closet is occupied by my dresser in the doorway, which makes it a bother to access anyway.)

On top of that, you can keep cartridges sequestered in places they're likely to overlook. I keep my living pokedex (White 2 in da house) in a teeny-weeny corner of the closet buried under some clothes.(2/3rds of my closet is occupied by my dresser in the doorway, which makes it a bother to access anyway.)

Ya'lls some paranoid mutha fuckas.

Top Bottom