• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

zroid

Banned
Naturally, but at least it may help to store the hardware and software separately. The way I see it, burglars are more inclined to go for shiny hardware rather than tiny cartridges that may or may not have value.

problem is, Pokémon is going to be in your 3DS at all times anyway

so say good-bye to it when you get burgled! :p

Firemind

yip4.gif

Tusk

I just saw the english origins trailer. o: Pretty excited for it to be dubbed. shame it wont be airing on TV, though.

Gonna order the Pokemon 3DSXL from BestBuy today, order the game from the eshop so that I can get it at mid-night on THAT 3DS and, if I can make a chocolate male character that lives up to my expectations, I will get the other version as a physical copy that can been played on either of my 3DSs. If i can't theeeeen I'm just gonna stay with one copy and make a Storm themed character.

That's a pretty interesting plan. I'd love to get the X/Y 3DSXL but I sprung for the pikachu one the instant I could, plus I have 2 other 3DS' :p I may end up downloading Y and just keeping my lil brothers box, since he usually tosses them.

Though, I want X to be my first experience.. I suppose I could play up to when I get my Kanto starter in Y, then go to sleep. Give myself a little tatse of the game. :p
Y starters will be Chespin, Torchic, Squirtle.
While X will be Froakie, Torchic, and Bulbasaur. o:

DaBoss

Well, there is the fact that it's releasing everywhere at the same time (Oct. 12), unlike AC which had a staggered release(Nov 8 2012 Japan, Feb. 7 Korea, June 9 US, June 14 Europe, June 15 Australia).

Well, the servers aren't all going to be hosted in the same place for each region.

So, uh... any of you guys know why Heart Gold and Soul Silver are so expensive?

I like to call it 'Nintentax'.

So, uh... any of you guys know why Heart Gold and Soul Silver are so expensive?

Nobody sells their pokemon games. They either keep them forever or hand them down to kids. The used market is supply constrained and the new copies that are left can have a silly markup applied.

Caladrius

Who got the Pokemon 3DS? I pick mine up tomahrow. An employee at my GS mistakenly told me I would get the game along with it two weeks early. I hope he didn't say that to anybody else.

DaBoss

I'm in the US. New copies are unavailable at Gamestop, and going for $70-80 on Amazon. Even used copies of questionable condition are $30-40 there.

WTF!?!? $70-80!?!? That's insane, here in Canada, you can find them at EB Games (Gamestop equivalent), Best Buy, and Future Shop (essentially the same as Best Buy) for $40 and is available everywhere I've been.

ST2K

WTF!?!? $70-80!?!? That's insane, here in Canada, you can find them at EB Games (Gamestop equivalent), Best Buy, and Future Shop (essentially the same as Best Buy) for $40 and is available everywhere I've been.

Hmm. I'm trying a bunch of online retailers here and not seeing anything. Kind of sucks, 'cause I never got to play the Johto remakes and was hoping to get one to try to burn through it before X & Y release.

Still 40 at my local Walmart...

Checked Walmart.com and it doesn't look like they carry it at all, from what I can tell. It might just be one of those things where you have to roam from store to store and hope they have a copy.

-Horizon-

I'm in the US. New copies are unavailable at Gamestop, and going for $70-80 on Amazon. Even used copies of questionable condition are $30-40 there.
I saw some new copies at Best Buy around a month ago. Walmart had them in stock when I was looking for something else a week ago. Unless you're way out there, I'm surprised this would happen. Heck, I still see new copies of Platinum in stores for $35.

Hmm. I'm trying a bunch of online retailers here and not seeing anything. Kind of sucks, 'cause I never got to play the Johto remakes and was hoping to get one to try to burn through it before X & Y release.

Checked Walmart.com and it doesn't look like they carry it at all, from what I can tell. It might just be one of those things where you have to roam from store to store and hope they have a copy.
Reminds me of how Emerald could go for really high amounts when D/P were new. I wonder why used copies of Pokemon games go for so much, it isn't like they are rare or anything, most of the games sell 10million + copies.

ST2K

Alright, well, thanks for your help guys. I guess I'll go hunting at my local retailers this weekend in hopes of finding a copy.

...What is it with Nintendo and not printing new runs of games? This seems to happen quite a bit with them, and from a consumer perspective it's kind of baffling.

-Horizon-

Alright, well, thanks for your help guys. I guess I'll go hunting at my local retailers this weekend in hopes of finding a copy.

...What is it with Nintendo and not printing new runs of games? This seems to happen quite a bit with them, and from a consumer perspective it's kind of baffling.
Because Nintendo
Reggieshrug.gif
Please understand
Etc etc

Who really knows? Maybe it's not cost effective? I don't work for them so I don't know if there are any benefits to printing extra copies or not and if it would outweigh costs. Or maybe Nintendo is planning on DS eshop releases for whatever is the next Nintendo handheld/console.

Decade+ old games sells for A LOT as fresh new unopened copies.
Just looking at those prices. I'm just :0

DaBoss

It's more likely that your local retailers just don't want to put them in stock for whatever reason.

HGSS has had many print runs. It's weird you can't find it new TBH. Most of their sizable titles have many print runs. As for the prices it's cuz they can get away with it. The market has proven that.

-Horizon-

ST2K, if you can't find HG/SS, and if you haven't already, get Pokemon Conquest. Koei just has to make a second one.
they have to :(

ST2K

HGSS has had many print runs. It's weird you can't find it new TBH. Most of their sizable titles have many print runs. As for the prices it's cuz they can get away with it. The market has proven that.

Yeah, I don't mind paying a full $40 for the game a couple years later. I've gotten used to that with certain games that have a high retention rate. It's just the insane mark-up prices they're going for that I find baffling. And the fact that people can get away with it would seem to indicate to me that another print would be in order. Seems to me like Nintendo's just throwing away money with some of these Pokemon games.

ST2K, if you can't find HG/SS, and if you haven't already, get Pokemon Conquest. Koei just has to make a second one.
they have to :(

Is it really worth it? I tend to avoid the Pokemon spinoffs because they've been rather low quality, in my experience.

Dr. Buni

Pokémon Conquest is totally worth it, best Pokémon spin-off by far. I am not a big fan of spin-offs either, but damn this one is good. It needs a sequel ;_;

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, I don't mind paying a full $40 for the game a couple years later. I've gotten used to that with certain games that have a high retention rate. It's just the insane mark-up prices they're going for that I find baffling. And the fact that people can get away with it would seem to indicate to me that another print would be in order. Seems to me like Nintendo's just throwing away money with some of these Pokemon games.

Is it really worth it? I tend to avoid the Pokemon spinoffs because they've been rather low quality, in my experience.

Why reprint when you can remake after a few years? Besides, the older pokemon games usually get made obsolete by the new ones.

-Horizon-

I say definitely worth it. It's like only $30 unless it's been further reduced in price.

Pokémon Conquest is totally worth it, best Pokémon spin-off by far. I am not a big fan of spin-offs either, but damn this one is good. It needs a sequel ;_;

Reila, I think we will get along just fine :D

ST2K

Alright, checked out a couple gameplay videos and reviews and I think I'm going to go ahead and buy Conquest. It seems like it's got a cool setup going on and might be some nice diversionary fun until X & Y.

I hope you guys haven't steered me wrong!

Alright, checked out a couple gameplay videos and reviews and I think I'm going to go ahead and buy Conquest. It seems like it's got a cool setup going on and might be some nice diversionary fun until X & Y.

I hope you guys haven't steered me wrong!

You have chosen... Wisely.

Conquest is a fantastic game. I've sunk over 180 hours into it as of last week, and only about 3 of those are in multiplayer ;)

There's no unfinished business you have in any of the other games? I have to breed a good Gallade and play dice with the Sinnoh Dragons (I'll have two of each to snag.)

I've got plenty to do in my free time. Ascend Hand of Kul just came out, GTA Online comes out October first, I just got New Super Luigi U, WWHD comes out soon(physical) and on top of all that I just started a new playthrough of White.

Surprisingly it's going by quick for me.

Bought Oracle of season and I'm having a great time. Almost to the end....and then to start oracle of ages :D

Oh damn, I forgot I started a playthrough of Seasons... I wanted to get Seasons and Ages done before WWHD.
Whoops.

ST2K

While I'm in here, I guess I should go ahead and ask you guys since you all are probably more in the know than me.

What are the chances we know all the version exclusives for X & Y before launch?

Top Bottom