• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Dr. Buni

As a lover of sprites, I feel like the change from sprites to 3D models is one of the bests things to happen to the franchise.

Firestorm

I stayed up until 4-something AM watching Pokemon battles.

That Marriland VS Yamamoto match made it all worth it.
Good to hear <3 It is incredibly stressful to run a 7 hour stream with players located in six different cities in the US let alone doing that + throwing Japan into the mix. Glad to see people enjoyed it!

Saw that Masuda tweeted the Japanese stream and Morimoto + someone else at Game Freak also joined into watch the fun. I think between the English and Japanese stream we hit 1900 viewers at peak (around 1:30 AM Pacific). Most of that was the Japanese though. We gotta step up our game in the west!

Edit: Video Archive up: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL25ZUglfWAKccogK0drWOc-LLWFXCg0q8

Now I sleep

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Game losing FPS when in 3D is expected, even games like PxZ has that.

Then again I won't be playing with 3D on so...

-Horizon-

Kind of want any events for X/Y to be wi-fi rather than "go to store A to get pokemon".

I did not enjoy trekking around looking for a Toys R Us for that Arceus event for D/P/P.

JoeM86

Kind of want any events for X/Y to be wi-fi rather than "go to store A to get pokemon".

I did not enjoy trekking around looking for a Toys R Us for that Arceus event for D/P/P.

That won't be the case. There will be a health mix, and once again Japan will get more since it's bigger there.

As I have said, in Japan people queue up for event Pokémon. In the west, people attempt to get them from the carpark

zroid

Banned
That won't be the case. There will be a health mix, and once again Japan will get more since it's bigger there.

As I have said, in Japan people queue up for event Pokémon. In the west, people attempt to get them from the carpark

lol

guilty

Sorry GameStop :p

-Horizon-

That makes me sad :(

Because I always stay outside of GameStop to do this and avoid ever going there (the only time I've actually been inside was to get Xenoblade and Pandora's Tower)

PK Gaming

Good to hear <3 It is incredibly stressful to run a 7 hour stream with players located in six different cities in the US let alone doing that + throwing Japan into the mix. Glad to see people enjoyed it!

Saw that Masuda tweeted the Japanese stream and Morimoto + someone else at Game Freak also joined into watch the fun. I think between the English and Japanese stream we hit 1900 viewers at peak (around 1:30 AM Pacific). Most of that was the Japanese though. We gotta step up our game in the west!

Edit: Video Archive up: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL25ZUglfWAKccogK0drWOc-LLWFXCg0q8

Now I sleep

That's kind of incredible

Good for you man!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One of the Gamestops near me is in a strip mall right next to a Five Guys.

I go into the Five Guys, order a Fry and a drink, I get my drink (Usually an unsweetened black tea) and sit down. Open up the DS, download the Pokémon, get my fry and enjoy the hell out of the experience.

One time I had a bunch of Pokémon fans come with me and we did a mini tournament right there afterwards.

JoeM86

It's not that hard to make impossible. I'd say the only reason it was possible in gen 5 is because Game Freak didn't even consider it something that would be attempted.

For 2 and a half months, we're going to have a blank slate:

No hacks
No DNS spoofing
No RNG manipulation

It's going to be awesome, then Transporter will arrive opening up the hacks and RNG'd Pokémon from last gen, which saddens me.

Elfteiroh

For the event pokemons, I usually just ask the guy to open it (my gamestop actually close the distributing 3DS to force people to enter in the shop)... I don't "feel bad" about playing pokemon. Anyway, they are all jerks, I have no fear of looking kiddy or anything, because as I don't like shooters and sports games, they already think I'm weird anyway. They didn't even know Xenoblade EXISTED before I preordered it. In fact, one of the employee didn't even understand what I wanted when I went there to pick it up... >_<

The earlier stuff that Pokebeach posted back in like June or July has thus far all come true, or rather most of it has.(Some details were fudged but overall was accurate)

Not that color, but I believe that you have to choose a color for your Mii when you first start the 3DS up..or it's like default blue or something.
Yeah, I thought it was speaking of the favorite color of your 3DS mii. :( I would have loved to start with purple clothes. :p

For 2 and a half months, we're going to have a blank slate:

No hacks
No DNS spoofing
No RNG manipulation

It's going to be awesome, then Transporter will arrive opening up the hacks and RNG'd Pokémon from last gen, which saddens me.

Most likely(hopefully) the transfer utility will pick up on things that are downright illegal. So we should be clear of wondertombs, "999 stat pokemon" and such at least.

RNGs are fair game in my book though.

zroid

Banned
Meh, Pokemon has always been a hack-heavy series so it never really bothered me. Maybe its because I always challenged people personally rather than playing randoms.

That's why it's pretty exciting to go in totally clean, for once. I don't know how long it'll last (Pokémon hackers are pretty determined), but I'm gonna enjoy it while I can!

For the event pokemons, I usually just ask the guy to open it (my gamestop actually close the distributing 3DS to force people to enter in the shop)... I don't "feel bad" about playing pokemon. Anyway, they are all jerks, I have no fear of looking kiddy or anything, because as I don't like shooters and sports games, they already think I'm weird anyway. They didn't even know Xenoblade EXISTED before I preordered it. In fact, one of the employee didn't even understand what I wanted when I went there to pick it up... >_<

lol, that's not why I do it from outside -- I just would rather not step into a GameStop if I can help it

That's totally different.
It's different. But fooling the 3DS that your router is a Streetpass relay point may be sufficient to allow people to obtain event Pokémon without going into stores.

Not really. They could code an intricate handshake that is required to connect to the GTS. Bam, job done.
Possibly. Though that'll only stop people creating their own custom event Pokémon (and only until the handshake is reverse engineered), not from people connecting their 3DS to get event Pokémon through spoofed access points.

JoeM86

It's different. But fooling the 3DS that your router is a Streetpass relay point may be sufficient to allow people to obtain event Pokémon without going into stores.

Possibly. Though that'll only stop people creating their own custom event Pokémon (and only until the handshake is reverse engineered), not from people connecting their 3DS to get event Pokémon through spoofed access points.

What are you on about? I'm talking a coding handshake. In order for the game to recognise that it is connected. They could make a way that's intricate and encrypted and prevent it. It wouldn't stop custom events and not spoofed ones.

Seriously, you need to do some research on network and code interconnectivity.

Also, the StreetPass relay point is irrelevant. If there are to be event Pokémon in stores still, then it will be done in a similar manner to how it is now, via a distribution card so that it can be controlled. You cannot "spoof" that.

zroid

Banned
The StreetPass relay point spoofing only works because of how banally it's set up. It's done this way to allow hotspots to be added at any time without requiring any communication between Nintendo and the hotspot proprietor ever. So naturally, if a retail hotspot can be seamlessly added to the "network" of relay points, you can easily do the same at home.

I do however think it's possible Nintendo will use a similar approach going forward for local distributions. Unless GameStop is adamantly opposed to it because they aren't already set up for NintendoZone (as far as I know), it's just much much more efficient in terms of resources, even if it leads to spoofing a la Animal Crossing. Simply requiring a connection to a GameStop flagged NintendoZone hotspot would be a lot easier (and more reliable) than sending out distribution carts.

What are you on about? I'm talking a coding handshake. In order for the game to recognise that it is connected. They could make a way that's intricate and encrypted and prevent it. It wouldn't stop custom events and not spoofed ones.

Seriously, you need to do some research on network and code interconnectivity.

Also, the StreetPass relay point is irrelevant. If there are to be event Pokémon in stores still, then it will be done in a similar manner to how it is now, via a distribution card so that it can be controlled. You cannot "spoof" that.

I have a feeling we're going off on two very different tangents here...

The Streetpass relay point is not irrelevant to the point I'm making at all, because it's exactly how exclusive in-store items are being distributed for Animal Crossing: New Leaf. The system, after connecting to an authorized access point, downloads the new content. But that authorized access point part can be spoofed, meaning that people can obtain these items without actually going to the store where the distribution is supposed to take place. It makes a lot of sense that they'd use this system for Pokémon X/Y in-store event Pokémon distributions as well, since it means they don't have to worry about things like sending out distribution cards to each store. The intention of that would've been to give them more control over distributions, since they wouldn't have to worry about people illegitimately obtaining the distribution cards or having those potentially dumped to ROMs and distributed. Of course, that's potentially backfired now that streetpass relay points have been spoofed, though it's still a fair minority of people who are doing that at this point.

Now, that doesn't enable people to create custom distributions or anything, but it is an important first step. To go a step further, they'd need to have the spoofed router connect to a spoofed GTS server. Now that's where your handshake comes in. But seeing as the access point can be spoofed, it should therefore be possible for people to snoop on the communication between game and GTS server. If that's the case, then while I'm sure it'll be difficult, in the long term we can probably expect the handshake between game and server to be identified and reverse engineered.

Camjo-Z

As a lover of sprites, I feel like the change from sprites to 3D models is one of the bests things to happen to the franchise.

I agree. I never really liked how the Pokemon animations in the sprite-based games were always kind of weird looking and just slightly moved around instead of being fully animated. R/S/E were the worst in that regard.

JoeM86

I have a feeling we're going off on two very different tangents here...

The Streetpass relay point is not irrelevant to the point I'm making at all, because it's exactly how exclusive in-store items are being distributed for Animal Crossing: New Leaf. The system, after connecting to an authorized access point, downloads the new content. But that authorized access point part can be spoofed, meaning that people can obtain these items without actually going to the store where the distribution is supposed to take place. It makes a lot of sense that they'd use this system for Pokémon X/Y in-store event Pokémon distributions as well, since it means they don't have to worry about things like sending out distribution cards to each store. The intention of that would've been to give them more control over distributions, since they wouldn't have to worry about people illegitimately obtaining the distribution cards or having those potentially dumped to ROMs and distributed. Of course, that's potentially backfired now that streetpass relay points have been spoofed, though it's still a fair minority of people who are doing that at this point.

Now, that doesn't enable people to create custom distributions or anything, but it is an important first step. To go a step further, they'd need to have the spoofed router connect to a spoofed GTS server. Now that's where your handshake comes in. But seeing as the access point can be spoofed, it should therefore be possible for people to snoop on the communication between game and GTS server. If that's the case, then while I'm sure it'll be difficult, in the long term we can probably expect the handshake between game and server to be identified and reverse engineered.

Well, for one it's not the StreetPass Relay that is being used for Animal Crossing, it's the Nintendo Zone network. In addition to that, they have set up ways in Japan to prevent them being spoofable which will likely come across to the west. Also, them giving Animal Crossing stuff is irrelevant as there have been Nintendo Zone distributions prior to that, even for Pokémon.

As for the handshake, no you are the one completely misunderstanding. If the game and the server have to receive their intricate handshake, with it being restricted somehow, then it doesn't matter how they connect. While it may be able to be "snooped" upon, they could easily code it so the handshake cannot be reverse engineered easily. Hell, I could do it, and if I could do it then their programmers are sure to be able to. If they manage to tie it to a variety of things, such as ID, SID and more, with the algorithm to calculate the handshake being on the server, then it would be incredibly hard to replicate.

Dr. Buni

R/S/E were the worst in that regard.

Spr_3e_359.gif

Definitely

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Crystal easily had the best animations of the sprite-based games, which is... a little sad, in many ways. I love Pokemon as a series, but it has a terrible tendency for really slow development and sometimes even regression in aspects.

qq more

I honestly thought the animations were getting progressively worse and worse with each Generation. I've never thought I would say this since I prefer sprites above all else but I am so glad they switched to 3D.

Dr. Buni

Not the biggest fan of Gen II, but the Crystal sprites were definitely the best in the series to me.

Some of my favorites:

9.gif
61.gif
181.gif

Shiny versions because

zroid

Banned
Crystal came with my Game Boy Advance, but I gave it to my younger brother because he didn't have a Gen II game. I never actually played any of the 3rd games of any gen.

Only one I played was Yellow lol

B2W2 was a brilliant move, first time I actually felt compelled to do so since then. I will buy Pokémon Z, though, no question. I would bring dishonour to my name should I not.

-Horizon-

I honestly thought the animations were getting progressively worse and worse with each Generation. I've never thought I would say this since I prefer sprites above all else but I am so glad they switched to 3D.

The thing I hated most with gen 5 were the dang back sprites! Who thought it was a good idea for them to be so dang pixely!?

This appeared in Pokemon Twitter

...why the hell is Eelektross representing Vegas? I love the mon but that's a bit of a disconnect.

lol LA

Top Bottom