• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Finally decided to start completing the Pokedex in Black 2 a few days ago, currently at 248 obtained in the regional dex. Would've never even bothered if it wasn't for the fact that there are actual rewards for completing the Pokedex. The large amount of Pokemon available helps too.

Almost 300 of them seems a lot, though. It's quite... the thing to know when you realise that I took almost a year to get the Unova dex almost complete. I was slacking off, though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My first serious recent effort in completing the Pokédex was gen 4 in Heart Gold. Once you get it done once it becomes quite easy.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It was real easy the first two gens. Gen 3 required friends with games or owning a lot of games yourself (Emerald+Colloseum+Leaf Green+Events)

Gen 4 did a really great job of including a ton of previous pokémon, HG/SS and Platinum especially.

MicH

I haven't completed the Pokédex since Ruby :/ I should definitely try in X/Y

Speaking of this, I am trying to see all Pokémon in the Unova dex in White 2. I only need 30 including Meloetta (does she count?) Can you see every single Pokémon in the game (as in trainers have them, catchable etc)? That would make it easier :p Any guides to this?

DaBoss

I haven't completed the Pokédex since Ruby :/ I should definitely try in X/Y

Speaking of this, I am trying to see all Pokémon in the Unova dex in White 2. I only need 30 including Meloetta (does she count?) Can you see every single Pokémon in the game (as in trainers have them, catchable etc)? That would make it easier :p Any guides to this?

Event Pokémon don't count, so that means these aren't required:
Victini
Keldeo
Meloetta
Genesect

In White 2, I believe the only UnovaDex Pokémon you can't see is Vullaby (as in trainers and catchable). And there is the starter Pokémon weak to your starter Pokémon which you can't see the 1st and 3rd stage.

MicH

Event Pokémon don't count, so that means these aren't required:
Victini
Keldeo
Meloetta
Genesect

In White 2, I believe the only UnovaDex Pokémon you can't see is Vullaby (as in trainers and catchable). And there is the starter Pokémon weak to your starter Pokémon which you can't see the 1st and 3rd stage.
Thank you for this. I have a lot of the 30 needed on my White file so I may just trade them over and back again real quick.Then there's stuff like Lickilicky and Yanmega where I may have to seach for the trainers that I missed. Thanks :D

Almost 300 of them seems a lot, though. It's quite... the thing to know when you realise that I took almost a year to get the Unova dex almost complete. I was slacking off, though.
It definitely won't be easy, but I have SS and FR so that's at least the first two gens covered. If only I could find my Diamond cartridge :/

Seil

Thank you for this. I have a lot of the 30 needed on my White file so I may just trade them over and back again real quick.Then there's stuff like Lickilicky and Yanmega where I may have to seach for the trainers that I missed. Thanks :D

Lickilicky and Yanmega can be found in the wild in rustling grass.

Growlie19

For the wait until X and Y, I've been completing the regional Pokédex in my DS games. I did it in Heart Gold and Platinum and I have the national Pokédex in Black 2. I'm working on White right now and I'm hoping it'll be done in time for X and Y.

Let me just say that the DPPt GTS is atrocious compared to HGSS and 5th gen. It doesn't even tell you the level the other person wants. Just, why?!

MicH

Spends 40 minutes looking for Tyranitar and Gliscor in shaking grass

Finally finds Tyranitar

Next encounter is another Tyranitar.

*shakes fist*

Firemind

I just spent half an hour finding Duskulls using pokeradar in route 224 in D/P (the area after the victory road) to pass Disable to Gastly. Then I realized it can only learn Disable in HG/SS in gen 4. smh

Finally finds Tyranitar

*shakes fist*

Shaking grass hunting is such a pain.

Spent a while trying to catch a Wailord.

Habitat List being a thing pretty mean I want to get all those Pokeball Stamps.

Finally finds Tyranitar

*shakes fist*

It never fails. I will look for a Pokemon for 30 minutes with no luck and once I finally catch it, my next encounter will be another one of those bastards

MicH

Shaking grass hunting is such a pain.

Spent a while trying to catch a Wailord.

Habitat List being a thing pretty mean I want to get all those Pokeball Stamps.
I just spent forever trying to find Gliscor. Jesus that took way too long Finally got him and got my permit to go to the Nature Reserve :D

It never fails. I will look for a Pokemon for 30 minutes with no luck and once I finally catch it, my next encounter will be another one of those bastards
It's just the worst. Such a slap in the face

All I know is whoever said there was a 10% or whatever chance to find a Scraggy in the desert in BW2 was a fucking liar.
5% chance in Route 4
10% chance in the entrance to the Desert Resort
0% chance of getting it in the Desert Resort itself, outside of N's.

Even 10% can go horribly, horribly wrong, too. :(

JoeM86

Smash confirmed that it is 1 Mega Evolution per trainer, not per battle, answering a question we have had for a while

smash913abig.jpg

Shengar

Smash confirmed that it is 1 Mega Evolution per trainer, not per battle, answering a question we have had for a while

http://www.serebii.net/smash913abig.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

So, If used Mega Garchomp then somehow get fainted, then switch it out with Ampharos I can still use Mega Evos then?

Firestorm

I just remember having so many encounters before getting it :(
How was that even a question?
So, If used Mega Garchomp then somehow get fainted, then switch it out with Ampharos I can still use Mega Evos then?
He means if your opponent has Mega Blaziken you can have Mega Ampharos out as well.

JoeM86

Now that is a good question

I just remember having so many encounters before getting it :(...
How was that even a question?

Since the translation wasn't clear if it was one Mega Evolution per trainer, or one Mega Evolution in battle at any one time on the field. Noew it is clear and now we know. Yes, it was obvious, but this is a business where we deal in confirmation, not supposition. Plus many people were confused about it across the internet.

Firestorm

I guess it's a combination of people being utter morons and having a lot less faith in Game Freak than I thought.
I also want to asked if mega-evolvong a Pokemon would take a turn or not.
Nope! Doesn't take a turn. You mega evolve and then your attack is done. How it works with switching isn't known yet afaik.

DaBoss

Many people were actually confused about that? I know everyone is confused about whether you can only use one Megalution per battle (as in having more than one Megalution being usable by the same person in a battle), which is pretty much what Shengar was asking.

Shengar

I guess it's a combination of people being utter morons and having a lot less faith in Game Freak than I thought.Nope! Doesn't take a turn. You mega evolve and then your attack is done. How it works with switching isn't known yet afaik.

It doesn't. The Mega evolution also occurs before the player pokemon's attack.

It does not.

I can imagine everyone would build team full of mega-evos Pokemon if you still can use it after your first Mega Pokemon fainted then.

Caladrius

How much of Kalos have we really seen? I don't remember any of the towns beside The starter town, Shantalune and Lumiose. Is it typical for them to show that little?

zroid

Banned

smash913abig.jpg

what on earth :lol

people thought one player using Megalution precluded the other from doing so as well?? that may be the silliest thing I've ever heard!

JoeM86

what on earth :lol

people thought one player using Megalution precluded the other from doing so as well?? that may be the silliest thing I've ever heard!

I agree, but it's nice to get confirmation considering how vague the wording on the official material was.

Plus, to be fair to them, we have never seen any material of mega vs mega until now. The video and screenshots have all been mega vs a pokemon that can mega evolve

Firestorm

I can imagine everyone would build team full of mega-evos Pokemon if you still can use it after your first Mega Pokemon fainted then.
I imagine you'll only be allowed to take one Pokemon into battle with a Mega Stone type item. That or you'll be restricted from mega evolving if you've already done it before. Not sure quite how they're going to control this but Game Freak has stated you'll only be allowed one Mega.

It's also not always in your best interest to mega evolve considering the loss of an item slot!

Shengar

I imagine you'll only be allowed to take one Pokemon into battle with a Mega Stone type item. That or you'll be restricted from mega evolving if you've already done it before. Not sure quite how they're going to control this but Game Freak has stated you'll only be allowed one Mega.

It's also not always in your best interest to mega evolve considering the loss of an item slot!

Good point there, and I guess it is pretty big trade off for competitive battler out there since item can make a difference.

When they said they were doing a Mega Evolution battle I was hoping they would reveal a new Mega.
So now the only question we have left for Mega Evolution is can you have more than one Mega on your team, but just only one active at a time?

Remember, guys, as long as this translation is correct we already have some of this stuff figured out:
The power-up of Mega-Evolved Pokemon is meant to elevate them to the class of legendary Pokémon, hence the restriction of only one Pokémon being allowed to hold a Mega Stone during battles.
EDIT: Source is that Nintendo Dream interview, I think?

Since we can basically assume how the the rest of its mechanics work, the only thing left we need to know is if Mega Evolving is kept when switching out, right?

blamite

It'll probably be because you have to equip your trainer with the mega ring that matches your Pokemon's, so you won't be able to wear more than one.

Caladrius

So how powerful is Mega Mewtwo? Higher tier than Uber?

It depends on how high Mewtwo's Special attack boost is and what new threats pop up in the Metagame. I wouldn't be surprised if its SA hit 200, just to beat the record. Mewtwo has a good movepool and above average speed (compared to other Ubers.) As long as no Dark or Ghost types with better speed don't make an entrance into the tier it's likely to be a potent sweeper.

And Garchomp has lower speed. If it goes up against a faster dragon or faster ice type it's screwed badly.

Caladrius

Couldn't Garchomp just take them out first and then Mega Evolve?

Potentially, though if the enemy has Choice Scarf (which Garchomp will have to leave behind for the Mega Stone) Gar is still going to be severely weakened if it survives to the second turn.

I am pleased how elegantly this hold-item solution works as far as balancing the Megas.

Top Bottom