• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like Johto can't really be compared to the others singularly because GSC are so clearly built around being sequels. It's not a co-incidence the scale of Johto is reduced; it's because it's a partner to Kanto rather than something independent in itself. I feel like when comparing the overworld of, say, HGSS to DPPt, you should be comparing the whole package of Johto/Kanto to Sinnoh - they're actually surprisingly similar in terms of content anyway, Sinnoh is a big region.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
But Kanto in GSC/HGSS is sparse too.

Anyway, still no Intent to Buy survey for X/Y? I thought it pops out two weeks before release.

Dawg

Hoenn is my favorite region, despite me disliking water because there's so many wild pokemon battles, but I just liked the overall world. It has interesting towns and I liked having gyms on islands. The adventure feeling was pretty strong in that one for me.

And stuff like Fortree city and Pacifidlig town were pretty cool. And don't even get me started on the secret bases... I spent so many hours collecting furniture.

R/S/E will always be my favorite gen.

qq more

Unova had many things happening in the cities. The only problem people really have with it is just the layout of the map. If it was laid out in a way that didn't look linear, people wouldn't at an eye at it.

Nimbasa and Driftviel (maybe due to its music) were the only cities I liked. The linear layout was only part of the problem.

But Kanto in GSC/HGSS is sparse too.
Er... didn't they brought back almost just about everything missing in HGSS?

As for GSC, it's not that bad. It was still pretty heavy as post-content for its time. I mean... you can literally explore 80% of the previous game's world? That is amazing. Especially with the size limit of the cartridge.

Hoenn was vibrant - may have been due to compensation for the GBA's screen, but I liked it.

Route 119 (Route with long river + waterfall, rain, epic music) is my most favorite routes in all the games.

Boss Doggie

Just in case people didn't see here (and I'm surprised Joe didn't put in his site)...

Mega Evolutions have high priority over speed. In the video, Mega Ampharos megavolved first, despite being in a Trick Room, followed by Slowbro using Rain Dance. Looks like Mega Mawile will definitely wreck havoc!

Er... didn't they brought back almost just about everything missing in HGSS?

As for GSC, it's not that big of a deal. It was pretty heavy as post-content for its time. I mean... you can literally explore 80% of the previous game's world? That is amazing. Especially with the size limit of the cartridge.

They brought back Safari Zone and Museum... but didn't really add much in Kanto. No events, etc. other than that Team Rocket rail thing much like in GSC.

qq more

They brought back Safari Zone and Museum... but didn't really add much in Kanto. No events, etc. other than that Team Rocket rail thing much like in GSC.
Seaform Islands, Viridian Forest and Cerulean Cave were also all back too if I'm not mistaken.

And IDK as for events, I didn't expect another full fledged story since it was post-game. I was more interested in exploring Kanto than experiencing another big story. I see where you're coming from with that though.

Btw, I want Safari again. :(

Bring back Game Corner too! I want a successor of Voltorb Flip or something

zroid

Banned
I want a successor of Voltorb Flip or something

thisssssssss so much. or just keep voltorb flip as-is, I would be okay with that :)

Actually you know, it would be kinda cool if there were a standalone Game Corner/Voltorb Flip app you buy for $2-3 from the eShop, and you can purchase stuff (Pokémon, items, etc.) from within the app using the credits you win. It could then communicate with your copy of XYZ just like Dream Radar. And, instead of using PokéDollars to buy credit with which to place bets, you can use Play Coins. 1 Play Coin for 10 credits, or something.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, everyone not wanting to be spoiled, avoid the Rumor Thread.

And get off the internet. It looks like it's happening. For real. Multiple new pics of new Pokemon + Overworld popped up.

Heads up: XY thread should go up either Friday or Saturday. I'm currently writing the thread on paper lol(word decided to stop working). Also need to find a few pics, should be easy.

-Horizon-

Btw, I want Safari again. :(

Naw I'm good.

Yeah, it's there (the intend to buy bonus)

I have NO idea what to pick. Physical or Download??????

For a lot of people, it seems that download would be the better option because then you don't have to switch out carts and all that if you want to play a different game. And I doubt most people will ever want to take the cart out of their system for a couple of months.
I on the other hand like the physical carts and case.

DaBoss

Heads up: XY thread should go up either Friday or Saturday. I'm currently writing the thread on paper lol(word decided to stop working). Also need to find a few pics, should be easy.

Use Notepad, I find that to be the best since it doesn't add any extra formatting.

qq more

Naw I'm good.

For a lot of people, it seems that download would be the better option because then you don't have to switch out carts and all that if you want to play a different game. And I doubt most people will ever want to take the cart out of their system for a couple of months.
I on the other hand like the physical carts and case.

I might go with physical then.

People seriously want the frustrating mini games? :(
It's never too late to make improvements

Boss Doggie

Safari Zone doesn't feel like it needs an improvement... but the whole concept itself is very frustrating. I'd honestly take rustling grass for rarity over that.

I guess the only bad part about Voltorb Flip is that you can't buy coins.

The only thing I don't want coming back is those gen-to-gen transfer methods.

Dream World minigames are also annoying.

More things like Voltorb Flip, please.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I love the Safari Park... up until that point a Shiny pops up and you have that "sweet God don't you dare run motherfucker don't you dare don't you d-". Thankfully, both 2 times I've seen a Shiny in the Safari Zone (Tauros in gen 3 and Shroomish in gen 4), I've caught them, but both gave me severe stress.

-Horizon-

I love the Safari Park... up until that point a Shiny pops up and you have that "sweet God don't you dare run motherfucker don't you dare don't you d-". Thankfully, both 2 times I've seen a Shiny in the Safari Zone (Tauros in gen 3 and Shroomish in gen 4), I've caught them, but both gave me severe stress.

I wanted to bring that up, it must be horrible to see a shiny in the Safari area. Because you know the moment that thing "flees" you're throwing the game at the wall.

I think I had great fun imagining the horrors of Diamond and Pearl on a theoretical Nintendo DS with a 2x CD ROM drive instead of its usual game cards.

Nightmares...

There needs to be a ban for anyone who posts spoilers in here. Lol.
It's not a joke.
This is my only safe zone left, and I'd hate for that (And my first playthrough) to be ruined by some person who thinks it'd be funny to post the starter evolutions...

Maybe I should just leave here too, just to be safe.

There needs to be a ban for anyone who posts spoilers in here. Lol.
It's not a joke.
This is my only safe zone left, and I'd hate for that (And my first playthrough) to be ruined by some person who thinks it'd be funny to post the starter evolutions here...

If you get spoiled in this thread it won't be malice, it'll be by someone who wants to know the final forms before picking his starter and cannot imagine anyone feeling differently.

Growlie19

I'm fine with Voltorb Flip returning as long as you can buy coins, too. It takes way too long to get the TMs.

Also, my little brother is much stronger than I am in resisting leaks. He doesn't even know the middle evolutions yet, and he's got Chespin. As long as I don't see any final evos or unofficially announced Pokémon, I'll be golden.

Kanto isn't really. After you get the PokeFlute, there's two fairly different routes which you can use to access Fuschia, and pretty much all of the gym-leaders after Misty can be done in different orders. You have to do Brock, followed by Misty. After that, you can do Surge, Erika, Sabrina and Koga in any order. Blaine's only pre-requirement is that you've beaten Koga. I can't remember precisely what triggers Giovanni, but I know you don't have to do him last because the very first time I played Yellow, I actually did Sabrina last because I had no idea what allowed you to get into Saffron City and had completed the entire rest of the game first. Possibly defeating Blaine? Anyway, it's much more open than the following games.

I think you remember wrong because at the very least you would have to get into Saffron City to do Silph Co and beat Giovanni there before you could battle him in the Viridian Gym

But I do agree that Kanto was balanced very well in a non-linear way (that I think also didn't impact the levels as it did in Johto). I'm not sure if I would say it's "much more" open than the rest of the games though (and Red/Blue/Yellow are my favorite games)

Top Bottom