• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Super repel! More cost effective.

I loved the addition of a prompt to use another when the one in use is depleted in Black/White 2. Hope that remains in X/Y.

Unicorn

So my friend has a beastly Ambipom and Swellow (hg/ss). I'm trying to come up with a single Pokemon to take care of both to send force him to choose something else to start our matches with. Any suggestions?

So my friend has a beastly Ambipom and Swellow (hg/ss). I'm trying to come up with a single Pokemon to take care of both to send force him to choose something else to start our matches with. Any suggestions?

Does the Ambipom have Fake Out? If so use something with Inner Focus which prevents flinching like Lucario which can take down Ambipom with Aura Sphere then use Ice Punch on Swellow.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
There's a shot of Red that resembles this

250px-Ritsu_Icon.png

Yes fakeout destroys my kecleon on my Trick Room team.

If you're doing Trick Room, Lucario will be slower than both of them anyway. You could also go for Dragonite as that also has Inner Focus and has access to both Brick Break and Ice Punch for super effective moves on both of them.

Caladrius

Not really, but a gentleman's agreement.

Ah. I was about to suggest Lucario.

The combination is very hard to defend against due to the variety of moves they both have. If they don't have a choice scarf, Scarf Hitmonlee might be able to whack ambipom with mach punch and hit swellow hard with rock slide or stone edge.

You'll probably want a second opinion since I'm not very experienced with UU.

DigitalOp

Banned
I have a pretty decent grasp of the mechanics and gameplay concepts but I still feel like my playstyle is reminiscent to my younger days. Im trying to boost a little of my gameplay knowledge:

1. Whats your main method to training?

I usually do regular trainer battles as normal. Whenever I get to a gym, I usually try to type-cheese my way through.. (Rock Gym; use to opportunity to level my Water pokemon etc.)
I also struggle battle (Wild PKMN battles with higher levels for more EXP) every once in a while but sometimes that gets aggravating when Im fainting alot..
Am I doing this correctly? I feel like people train way faster and easier with some alternate method...

2. How do you consistently keep your Pokemon up to date?

Tell me if this happens to yall. You start the game, you slowly build your first team of 6. Then you catch more than you carry. You want to use a varied pool of Pokemon but after you start getting comfortable with your main team, the others begin to drag behind... Next thing you know, your xtra pokemon are too under-leveled in the box to go train in the wild... You don't wanna go back to try and get them up to speed... And now all their second stages are popping up wild and you have the baby in the box. Why even try to evolve them yourself when they're right there in front of you now?
Do you all pick a set team and run through the game with it? Or do you use a couple extra and keep them running with the bunch?

Anybody have any suggestions?

Caladrius

I have a pretty decent grasp of the mechanics and gameplay concepts but I still feel like my playstyle is reminiscent to my younger days. Im trying to boost a little of my gameplay knowledge:

1. Whats your main method to training?

I usually do regular trainer battles as normal. Whenever I get to a gym, I usually try to type-cheese my way through.. (Rock Gym; use to opportunity to level my Water pokemon etc.)
I also struggle battle (Wild PKMN battles with higher levels for more EXP) every once in a while but sometimes that gets aggravating when Im fainting alot..
Am I doing this correctly? I feel like people train way faster and easier with some alternate method...

2. How do you consistently keep your Pokemon up to date?

Tell me if this happens to yall. You start the game, you slowly build your first team of 6. Then you catch more than you carry. You want to use a varied pool of Pokemon but after you start getting comfortable with your main team, the others begin to drag behind... Next thing you know, your extra pokemon are too under-leveled in the box to go train in the wild... You don't wanna go back to try and get them up to speed... And now all their second stages are popping up wild and you have the baby in the box. Why even try to evolve them yourself when they're right there in front of you now?
Do you all pick a set team and run through the game with it? Or do you use a couple extra and keep them running with the bunch?

Anybody have any suggestions?

1."Type cheesing" is how you're supposed to do it.Certain leaders are very difficult even with them. (Damned Clayton) The main gives you only so many options and you need to make the most of what it gives you.

Are you fighting all the trainers along the way? Those are going to give you the bulk of your experience and you shouldn't need to grind that much afterward.

2. This sounds like a more fundamental problem. Trying to raise too many pokemon bogs you down. There's absolutely no reason to try and use more than 5-6 pokemon throughout the story. Most pokemon's movepools are just varied enough to use 2-3 types. 3-4 pokemon (optimal for pre-gen V where lucky egg is rare) with at least 2 move types and minimal redundant typing is almost guaranteed to hit the vast majority of the type combinations for at least neutral damage and resist a healthy amount of types. It's usually optimal to lock down a roster by the 5th gym, after that and you're likely to be playing catch-up with the new guy.

DigitalOp

Banned
1."Type cheesing" is how you're supposed to do it.Certain leaders are very difficult even with them. (Damned Clayton) The main gives you only so many options and you need to make the most of what it gives you.

Are you fighting all the trainers along the way? Those are going to give you the bulk of your experience and you shouldn't need to grind that much afterward.

2. This sounds like a more fundamental problem. Trying to raise too many pokemon bogs you down. There's absolutely no reason to try and use more than 5-6 pokemon throughout the story. Most pokemon's movepools are just varied enough to use 2-3 types. 3-4 pokemon (optimal for pre-gen V where lucky egg is rare) with at least 2 move types and minimal redundant typing is almost guaranteed to hit the vast majority of the type combinations for at least neutral damage and resist a healthy amount of types. It's usually optimal to lock down a roster by the 5th gym, after that and you're likely to be playing catch-up with the new guy.

Thanks for this.

Regarding training, I pretty much make it a mission to battle every random trainer. Often times I'll sweep just to give my higher levels a good edge and then when theyre sitting pretty, I'll try struggle battling with my lower level mons. Sometimes it works and gives them healthy EXP (alot of potions wasted...), other times they get knocked out and I finish with my team leaders.

So I guess my question was pretty simple. I think what I was really trying to ask is how do you train during the post-game? Most of the trainers are battled out so unless you have a VS Seeker, Wild Pokemon and Elite Four EXP runs are all you really have...

Okay, so Im not crazy. I've always used a team of 6 to 8 max. Often swapping if I come across something in the wild around the same level but it depends.. My biggest issue was type variance as you say. Doubling up on pokemon types and on top of that... Having them retain the same move types!! Ugh... my childhood habits have bled through to my older days... This is all I saw on my Ruby version the other day....

I had a Huntail with 3 water moves and Crunch... Why??? Lol, I gotta spread it out more.

PSA: When X & Y launch, I'll be supplying Froakie and Squirtle babies to whoever wants em. First, Im looking for Chespins, Fennekins, Bulbasaurs, and Charmanders. After that I'll let you know what Im looking for in return.

Caladrius

Thanks for this.

Regarding training, I pretty much make it a mission to battle every random trainer. Often times I'll sweep just to give my higher levels a good edge and then when theyre sitting pretty, I'll try struggle battling with my lower level mons. Sometimes it works and gives them healthy EXP (alot of potions wasted...), other times they get knocked out and I finish with my team leaders.

So I guess my question was pretty simple. I think what I was really trying to ask is how do you train during the post-game? Most of the trainers are battled out so unless you have a VS Seeker, Wild Pokemon and Elite Four EXP runs are all you really have...

Do you regularly shuffle the exp share around and let the weak pokemon lead so you can switch them out?

As far as postgame goes it's pretty difficult because in most games once you hit about 70 the EXP dries up everywhere except the championship. HG/SS/Platinum have the Gym leader rematches, which are a pain to earn but are the most productive, and B2W2 has daily trainer battles with various NPC's, as well as a very profitable E4. Trading pokemon across games so that they get the EXP bonus is also a good idea, and careful management of the lucky egg will let your pokemon level up fairly quickly as well.

Okay, so Im not crazy. I've always used a team of 6 to 8 max. Often swapping if I come across something in the wild around the same level but it depends.. My biggest issue was type variance as you say. Doubling up on pokemon types and on top of that... Having them retain the same move types!! Ugh... my childhood habits have bled through to my older days... This is all I saw on my Ruby version the other day....

I had a Huntail with 3 water moves and Crunch... Why??? Lol, I gotta spread it out more.

It took me until Diamond to realize move variety was important. A couple of pokemon are almost always worthwhile because of their amazing movepools. Lucario, Gallade, Gardevoir Eelektross, Togekiss, Crobat, Gengar, Starmie and Sigilyph have 3 moves minimum that give decent coverage. (Gallade in particular has access to usable moves from 15 types with the help of a move tutor, and Starmie is one of the few good pokemon with access to both ice beam and thunderbolt, which together hit nearly any pokemon in the game for neutral damage or better.)

qq more

I think it's honestly best for all the leak talk to be kept in the leak threads. Probably not here since some people constantly spoil things by accident.

I believe it's better to be safe than sorry. Very sorry, in this case. Spoilers are like mines in a minefield. One bad post, you get the consequences...

This thread is a spoiler-free zone, so yeah. If you must post spoilery items, put them under spoiler tags and only link them, clearly marked. Better yet, not bother with posting it...

Even I'm having a hard time avoiding spoilers and I've already gotten the name of a certain final evolution (though, thankfully, no images or details).

DaBoss

So yea, I've been wondering how it is going to work in the OT. We should spoiler any names that have not been officially revealed correct?

Firestorm

So yea, I've been wondering how it is going to work in the OT. We should spoiler any names that have not been officially revealed correct?
Spoilering names of things that haven't been revealed seems kinda ridiculous tbh. Every post would be spoiler tagged. How would you even follow discussion at that point? If people don't want to know names, I would say that the OT is a bad place to go after release.
I found my fourth favorite Kalos mon :3
I think the time for being polite is over. Use the other fucking thread.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I didn't mention any name. At all. Nothing spoilerish about that. You get worked up on something insignificant. Or is the new game *gasp* having new Pokemon is considered spoiler material?

DaBoss

Spoilering names of things that haven't been revealed seems kinda ridiculous tbh. Every post would be spoiler tagged. How would you even follow discussion at that point? If people don't want to know names, I would say that the OT is a bad place to go after release.
That's true. So would names be okay considering images aren't posted?
I didn't mention any name. At all. Nothing spoilerish about that. You get worked up on something insignificant. Or is the new game *gasp* having new Pokemon is considered spoiler material?
I think the point is we shouldn't talk/refer to spoilers at all in this thread.
Wait then what are these things in my avatar from?
Fakemons

Top Bottom