• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Longer than that. Unless we get strategy guides or some shit like that early, leakers won't be finding things like Spiritomb.

Well, they won't be finding the Deoxys or Meloettas, more importantly. I'm guessing whatever number they come to, we should probably add 5 to it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Longer than that. Unless we get strategy guides or some shit like that early, leakers won't be finding things like Spiritomb.

The Prima guide is hitting on the 16th, I've got it preordered. It should show up a day or two after my Y version.

Are Critical Captures still a thing in Gen VI? I had a fanwank-y idea in a (now scrapped) Pokemon project of mine for a new Ball type, for those interested.

DaBoss

Are Critical Captures still a thing in Gen VI? I had a fanwank-y idea in a (now scrapped) Pokemon project of mine for a new Ball type, for those interested.

I love fanwank-y ideas as long as they aren't stupid lol. :p

So, I would be interested in reading it.

I love fanwank-y ideas as long as they aren't stupid lol. :p

So, I would be interested in reading it.

Alright. Basically, the game took place in a large, Australia-based region. On the West Coast, there was a large metropolis that served as the base of operations for a neutral / benevolent corporation known as Sovereign Corp. They didn't have any dark motives or anything because the game (known as Project Opal) served as a soft reboot to the franchise but was also meant to serve as a sort of grand finale or "bookend" to the game universe, set about 15 years after DPPt / HGSS - that sort of got mucked up after BW did a large-scale timeskip, though. Anyways, Sovereign Corp's benevolence came from the fact that it was headed by
mid-twenties Silver, your HGSS rival, after riding off the failure of a malevolent upbringing due to Giovanni and all that.
It's not really a "good team" in contrast to the game's "evil team," rather it's mission control of sorts - pretend RBY let you join Sylph Co. and take on research missions, receive experimental tech early, etc.

Sovereign Corp would offer the Sovereign Ball for cheap to its members - it has the catch rate of a normal Pokeball, but the Critical Capture ratio is equivalent to your percent completion, meaning once you attained 100% completion it'd be easy to get new pokes for the sake of competitive battling, etc. because you'd have a guaranteed Critical Capture with every throw.

If people want to know more I can dig up some old concept art, but I don't want to bore you guys.

DaBoss

Alright. Basically, the game took place in a large, Australia-based region. On the West Coast, there was a large metropolis that served as the base of operations for a neutral / benevolent corporation known as Sovereign Corp. They didn't have any dark motives or anything because the game (known as Project Opal) served as a soft reboot to the franchise but was also meant to serve as a sort of grand finale or "bookend" to the game universe, set about 15 years after DPPt / HGSS - that sort of got mucked up after BW did a large-scale timeskip, though. Anyways, Sovereign Corp's benevolence came from the fact that it was headed by
mid-twenties Silver, your HGSS rival, after riding off the failure of a malevolent upbringing due to Giovanni and all that.
It's not really a "good team" in contrast to the game's "evil team," rather it's mission control of sorts - pretend RBY let you join Sylph Co. and take on research missions, receive experimental tech early, etc.

Sovereign Corp would offer the Sovereign Ball for cheap to its members - it has the catch rate of a normal Pokeball, but the Critical Capture ratio is equivalent to your percent completion, meaning once you attained 100% completion it'd be easy to get new pokes for the sake of competitive battling, etc. because you'd have a guaranteed Critical Capture with every throw.

If people want to know more I can dig up some old concept art, but I don't want to bore you guys.

That is certainly an interesting story build up to the main idea. :p

And the main idea that I got out of it is they should make a PokeBall with a higher rate to get a critical capture which should be unlocked after you complete the PokeDex. That certainly is a nice idea.

Australia would be a scary region

An entire region filled to the brim with Poison types? A whole bunch of Pokémon with OHKO moves (with a new Poison variant) that the AI loves to spam? Large predatory Water types that completely outlevel you? High encounter rate of killer Bug types? Dingos?

DigitalOp

Banned
Do you regularly shuffle the exp share around and let the weak pokemon lead so you can switch them out?

As far as postgame goes it's pretty difficult because in most games once you hit about 70 the EXP dries up everywhere except the championship. HG/SS/Platinum have the Gym leader rematches, which are a pain to earn but are the most productive, and B2W2 has daily trainer battles with various NPC's, as well as a very profitable E4. Trading pokemon across games so that they get the EXP bonus is also a good idea, and careful management of the lucky egg will let your pokemon level up fairly quickly as well.

It took me until Diamond to realize move variety was important. A couple of pokemon are almost always worthwhile because of their amazing movepools. Lucario, Gallade, Gardevoir Eelektross, Togekiss, Crobat, Gengar, Starmie and Sigilyph have 3 moves minimum that give decent coverage. (Gallade in particular has access to usable moves from 15 types with the help of a move tutor, and Starmie is one of the few good pokemon with access to both ice beam and thunderbolt, which together hit nearly any pokemon in the game for neutral damage or better.)

Every once in a while, I'll mess around with EXP Share. Im asking since I know I'll probably be messing around in previous games aside from X & Y. It seems Gen 6 does fix alot of EXP issue from previous games.

If you don't mind.. one more question... Whats up with non-reusable TMs? I never understood them... Did GF really think that we should think long and hard conserve them to be used on one pokemon only for an entire game. That doesn't even make sense.. Most TMs only were found once in-game and that was it. No way to rebuy some of them at a Dept Store like the others.. So glad they made them infinite and I hope it continues in X & Y

I'm officially done with the leak thread. No more spoils. Can't wait till launch. 7 more days...

Breeding Pokemon is fun. I've never had this many starters before. So neat to have a box full of them! I want the Gen 6 crew!!! Im training this Riolu so I can evolve it for some more babies... Might make my Ruby team all have children... (Sceptile, Blaziken, Heracross, Metagross, Salamence)

I need to progress farther in B & W, I wanna see how breeding works in those games too..

Zeroth

An entire region filled to the brim with Poison types? A whole bunch of Pokémon with OHKO moves (with a new Poison variant) that the AI loves to spam? Large predatory Water types that completely outlevel you? High encounter rate of killer Bug types? Dingos?

Nope. It would be scary because the only pokemon available would be Flareon.

sounds good

i shall build an army in that region

But that all changed when the Flareon nation attacked.

tumblr_m284bxiFrZ1r07kbz.gif

They didn't get very far though because the Earth nation had Stealth Rocks set up.

Caladrius

Every once in a while, I'll mess around with EXP Share. Im asking since I know I'll probably be messing around in previous games aside from X & Y. It seems Gen 6 does fix alot of EXP issue from previous games.

If you don't mind.. one more question... Whats up with non-reusable TMs? I never understood them... Did GF really think that we should think long and hard conserve them to be used on one pokemon only for an entire game. That doesn't even make sense.. Most TMs only were found once in-game and that was it. No way to rebuy some of them at a Dept Store like the others.. So glad they made them infinite and I hope it continues in X & Y

The limited TM's were likely put in in order to limit the distribution of powerful moves like flamethrower, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt,Grass Knot, Toxic, etc. Certain types and type combinations of pokemon also tend to have good TM movepools (Psychic, Water, Dragon.) It's likely you'll have at least two pokemon that can learn the same TM in your party. "Oes noes my Raichu and Jynx Died! Wait lol I have starmie.*bulldozes opponent*."

Gamefreak must have eventually figured: "Hey we could actually make the TMs harder to find instead of making arbitrary restrictions!" And thus reusable TMs came into play.

At least that's my guess.

I personally think it's because of the game's slow and steady progress towards making battling easier - realizing that people would have to go through long breeding chains to get Thunderbolt on more than one guy, or would hoard them because there's only 1 available and hey don't want to teach it to the wrong poke, they just decided to make TMs infinite to save time.

The limited TM's were likely put in in order to limit the distribution of powerful moves like flamethrower, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt,Grass Knot, Toxic, etc. Certain types and type combinations of pokemon also tend to have good TM movepools (Psychic, Water, Dragon.) It's likely you'll have at least two pokemon that can learn the same TM in your party. "Oes noes my Raichu and Jynx Died! Wait lol I have starmie.*bulldozes opponent*."

Gamefreak must have eventually figured: "Hey we could actually make the TMs harder to find instead of making arbitrary restrictions!" And thus reusable TMs came into play.

At least that's my guess.

I think it's more that people came to expect a more personalized experience with link cables - while yeah, you'd try to catch 'em all, you'd still probably try and develop a core team with some varied movesets like the Champions (and Red) taught you to. After a while, though, (aka the DPPt ghetto) they realized that people were building entire armies, causing overpopulation and wiping out local landscapes trying to hatch shiny Pokemon, abusing the RNG to put endangered species in cockfights, etc. and the whole "core, lovable team" thing got replaced with "let's put a shitload of dudes in rotation to prepare for the competitive brackets" and as a result the TMs got made re-usable so they could actually have some practical purpose post-story.

That, and it's so you wouldn't stockpile all your TMs throughout the story in a desperate attempt to not use them until you found Pokemon you liked.

DaBoss

Tried to ask the others to get rid of spoilery stuff ASAP.

I am become cry, saddener of worlds.

Was it too much to ask that two out of three starter evos not be spoiled within the first three pages? Was it really?

That's not Fennekin's final evo. So yea, you got one left at least. :/

Shengar

Well that's good. That Kotaku article about the leaker getting visited by a Nintendo rep is some spooky shit. The ninjas are real!
Holy shit that is spooku. I mean, imagine a person suddenly knock on the door when you enjoying your leaked copy then asked you to turn that game to him.
Then what will those Nintendo reps do? Confiscated the leaked copy?

This just prove Australia as new region would be beyond awesome.

Growlie19

Not to mention all the rabbit-like Pokémon, like Wigglytuff and Bunnelby and the Nidorans and Buneary/Lopunny. Don't forget Kangaskhan.

But that all changed when the Flareon nation attacked.

tumblr_m284bxiFrZ1r07kbz.gif

They didn't get very far though because the Earth nation had Stealth Rocks set up.

Only the Avatar, master of all four elements, could stop them, but when the world needed him most, he vanished.

A hundred years passed and my brother and I discovered the new Avatar, an moebender named qq more. And although his moebending skills are great, he has a lot to learn before he's ready to save anyone. But I believe qq moe can save the world

Top Bottom