• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

DaBoss

A good JPEG encoder is a better thing to use. More flexible, more optimised, and best of all, compatible.

I mean as a replacement for PNGs. High-quality low file size with transparency.

And yea, if the file size can be lower than GIFs for animated images, that's another bonus. APNG file sizes are large, so that is out of the question.

I mean as a replacement for PNGs. High-quality low file size with transparency.

Hehe, I see your point, but I always think of anything with any sort of transparency is best left with lossless compression.

It's a bit funny how not many things support WebP out of the box.

One fun thing about GIF is that you can assign a different palette for each and every frame, and partial updates, too. Not many encoders do that, though.

This is also why I don't get Bulbapedia's obsession with APNGs and no fallback.

-Horizon-

I have to admit, this picture made me laugh a bit.

this-looks-bad_o_2286981.webp

Oh the horror if that ever happened.

Now, where's that Obama tweet...

Fireblend

Banned
Ugh, I wish the 3DS let me categorize friends (so I could have all GAF peeps on a separate category or something).

Oh well.

Here's my FC, now that we're sharing them: 1779 0023 0121 (PM me if you added me!)

I think I was already added by some since I put it on the spreadsheet on the X/Y OT as well.

Thought this would be the best place to ask. Anyone know of any good resources to learn Pokémon battling? As in, how to play strategically and how to use the stats. I want to get in to Pokémon again though when I played it when I was young, I just chose and played offensive moves all the time and never looked at any monster's stats. Just used which ones I thought looked badass.

Fireblend

Banned
Thought this would be the best place to ask. Anyone know of any good resources to learn Pokémon battling? As in, how to play strategically and how to use the stats. I want to get in to Pokémon again though when I played it when I was young, I just chose and played offensive moves all the time and never looked at any monster's stats. Just used which ones I thought looked badass.

Which is the best way to play, IMO.

Anyway, I know Marriland has some Pokemon reviews (from Black & White 2) on its site that take that kind of stuff into account. You could read a couple of them and see the kind of rationale that goes into determining whether a Pokemon is a good choice stats/moves-wise and whatnot.

http://www.marriland.com/pokemon-reviews/black-2-white-2

Want me to spoil that for you? :p

Only if he has a Mega Evolution. GameFreaks owes him for shamelessly reusing his type and theme on an inferior breed and competitively crippling him with Fairy-types! *shakes fist*

MegaScrafty should upgrade his pants to parachute pants and gain the ability "U Can't Touch This," which works like a reverse-Wonder Guard (Super Effective moves do no damage).

Caladrius

Only if he has a Mega Evolution. GameFreaks owes him for shamelessly reusing his type and theme on an inferior breed and competitively crippling him with Fairy-types! *shakes fist*

MegaScrafty should upgrade his pants to parachute pants and gain the ability "U Can't Touch This," which works like a reverse-Wonder Guard (Super Effective moves do no damage).

You want to know if it has a Mega-Evolution but not whether or not you can even use it in the first place?

Wichu

Mmhmmmm.... would that help in making longer/higher-quality gifs with reasonable sizes? If so, I'm all over it.

I only just noticed your avatar is actually Kyogre. Neat.

Maybe I should change mine. Although I had it first, Riki has pretty much the same avatar (and a more fitting name). I think a X/Y avatar should happen soon.

You want to know if it has a Mega-Evolution but not whether or not you can even use it in the first place?

MY LOGIC IS FLAWLESS DO NOT QUESTION IT

Even if it's available, I probably won't use it because I try to go for an all-new team at the start of each generation. I just want to know for when I import my shiny Scrafty in December.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I only just noticed your avatar is actually Kyogre. Neat.

Maybe I should change mine. Although I had it first, Riki has pretty much the same avatar (and a more fitting name). I think a X/Y avatar should happen soon.

Pokemon (Kyogre) & NHL (Canucks logo), my next 9 months summed up in one avatar. :)

Caladrius

MY LOGIC IS FLAWLESS DO NOT QUESTION IT

Even if it's available, I probably won't use it because I try to go for an all-new team at the start of each generation. I just want to know for when I import my shiny Scrafty in December.

Thank jeelzebub I'm team both. I'm doing an all-Kalos and legacy run.

CorvoSol

Poke-GAF, how quickly/what is the best way to rack up happiness in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald? I can't get me an Espeon in Fire Red, so I want to trade that sucker and make him evolve as quick as I can.

Firestorm

My friends and I run this website: http://nuggetbridge.com

I wrote Beginners guide which you can find under the Beginners link. http://veekun.com has the best Pokedex on the net if you want to look up stats and moved. They don't have TM/item locations unfortunately so you'll want to use http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net for that.

Caladrius

Just over 5 days until touchdown. The ribboning has commenced.

Poke-GAF, how quickly/what is the best way to rack up happiness in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald? I can't get me an Espeon in Fire Red, so I want to trade that sucker and make him evolve as quick as I can.

Level ups plus-favorite flavored pokeblocks does the trick, I think.

Growlie19

If you're swimming in money, you can force-feed vitamins (namely Calcium and Carbos) to Eevee. That's how I got Blissey in Heart Gold when I was going for a complete regional dex.

CorvoSol

If you're swimming in money, you can force-feed vitamins (namely Calcium and Carbos) to Eevee. That's how I got Blissey in Heart Gold when I was going for a complete regional dex.

Probably do that. Cuz I want to make sure that my old standby team comes with me to the new Gen. Got my shiny Charmander (took a lot of time), my Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Pikachu, now I need to get my Snorlax and Espeon, as well as that Growlithe I'm planning on using and I'm set.

Kyzer

Banned
Got my LE 3DS XL...got two for my two best friends birthdays too and 2 more 2DSs for friends and 4 copies of the game so we can all play together. Money well spent, game of forever now guaranteed.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's kinda sad that a certain Pokemon got popular during leak time (which it deserves). I fear that its popularity would die out by the game's actual release.

DigitalOp

Banned
It's kinda sad that a certain Pokemon got popular during leak time (which it deserves). I fear that its popularity would die out by the game's actual release.

I regret spoiling myself on the roster now...

But I just could not resist. I don't know why... Seeing those things without prior knowledge would have been cool but Ill still enjoy it either way.

I'm now going with "I don't mind if I get spoiled by others, but I won't actively seek spoilers".

Because I have one Pokémon spoiled, one name spoiled, and the type diversity spoiled. Might as well...

Also, holy cow I'm a member!

Toxi

Banned
I keep thinking about Monster Hunter. I should probably put down the 3DS.

Gigginox would make a killer Dragon/Poison type. Rathian would be Dragon/Fire (with Levitate and Poison Tail). Gobul would be "Would you just die already?"/Water.

Also, holy cow I'm a member!
Congrats. You are one step closer to becoming one of our arachnid overlords.

I keep thinking about Monster Hunter. I should probably put down the 3DS.

Gigginox would make a killer Dragon/Poison type. Rathian would be Dragon/Fire (with Levitate and Poison Tail). Gobul would be "Would you just die already?"/Water.

Congrats. You are one step closer to becoming one of our arachnid overlords.
NOPE!

Top Bottom