• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Thought I'd bring this to the attention of PokeGAF since I'm not sure if it warrants its own thread: apparently the team behind the great Kanto Symphony series of orchestrated themes from Pokemon RBY is running a Kickstarter to fund the creation of a small set of pieces from the various gens performed by a string ensemble. There are only five days left and it looks to be in danger of failing, so if you like what you hear in the youtube link, some of you might want to consider this.

Gen 5 felt like a placeholder generation back then and it feels even more like one now.

From what I remember of an interview somewhere Game Freak were having trouble developing for the 3DS and Harmoknight was their way of practicing. Guess they didn't want to develop a major title for the 3DS yet (and they arguably are still having trouble what with framerate drops and all) nor did they want to do the RSE remakes.

Probably better that they're waiting at least one generation anyway.

Busaiku

Speaking of plushies and figures...

Which one wins for you, PokéGAF?

I have this.
M1sZzjv.jpg

Kalos is weird.

There's all the "wanting to be a Pokémon" talk already, and...

I got bored and decided to keep watching the in-game TV in a Pokémon Centre.

A camera? A freaking camera?!
What's next, the Poké Balls, a smartphone, or something even more ridiculous?

Gen 5 felt like a placeholder generation back then and it feels even more like one now.

From what I remember of an interview somewhere Game Freak were having trouble developing for the 3DS and Harmoknight was their way of practicing. Guess they didn't want to develop a major title for the 3DS yet (and they arguably are still having trouble what with framerate drops and all) nor did they want to do the RSE remakes.

Probably better that they're waiting at least one generation anyway.

A placeholder for what? BW2 was the most complete game since Emerald. The main story wasn't anything special, but it had everything else. It's actually pretty annoying to go back to this generation, where the Elite Four are weak and don't even upgrade, there are barely any post-game trainers, let alone ones that can be rematched, and no move tutors.

Hard to call Gen V a placeholder when only Gens III and IV can lay claim to a shared pattern so far. Gens I and II are both different in terms of quantity and types of mainline games, and Gen V's closest to II if you count B2/W2 as a third edition. Really, what makes V stick out is that it's the first second generation started on the same system as the last one.

Caladrius

I want one! D:

A Goomy plushie would be amazing as well. And one of both legendaries. I wouldn't mind one of all three base starters either.

Okay, just give me a plushie of each new Pokémon, I'd be fine with that.

I'm not sure plushie Binacle would sell very well.

qq more

I'm really glad Pokemon has moved on from 2.5D. Is it me or has the DS mainline games always felt weird and looked kind of ugly at times because of the 2.5D? I wish they've stuck with full 2D for that time.

With that said, XY going 3D is great, though could use some improvements here and there. Totally loving the Pokemon models though.

Everytime you change your avatar, you go further away from the one you owe to yourself....Come on QQ Moe, do it for the children.
NO!

I'm really glad Pokemon has moved on from 2.5D. Is it me or has the DS mainline games always felt weird and looked kind of ugly at times because of the 2.5D? I wish they've stuck with full 2D for that time.
For me, it's not that Gen IV and V suffer visually, but that Gen III has some of the most gorgeous pixel art in the franchise overall.

javac

This game needs the camera zoomed out a bit in certain areas. Made me want to rip my hair out. Preferred the more overhead view of the previous games.

Game Freak wants to get away from simply using the overhead view all the time, but the graphical output in X/Y doesn't help whenever the camera pans to reveal more geometry.

As long as they keep making 2D art, I'm all whatever.

-Horizon-

Try to catch a Noibat and evolve it while you're at it in Victory Road.

I managed to get one in a cave before Victory Road (before I knew that you could get Noibat at VR) and already evolved it lol (now at level 53)

Then when I got to VR, I saw a level 59 Noibat and I was like :0

Anyway, beat the elite four, beat the champion
and beat AZ, dang it I am a sucker for happy sappy endings when Floette came back ;-;

31 and a half hours

Tizoc

So as I suck at giving names to my characters if they have a creator mode and likewise in RPGs where you're asked to name your character, I decided to use a PokeTrainer name generator.
It gave me 'Emerald A. Sapphire'.

Top Bottom