• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Tizoc

Why not just use your name?

I'm still working it out TBH, I've never played Pokemon before, and in games where you get to name your character I sometimes just have it randomized or if said game had like a manga adaptation, I'd use the manga name.

One question though:
Is there any benefit to NOT evolving a Pokemon? Say I have a Psyduck, any benefits to not evolving it to Golduck? Are there any skills it can learn that Golduck can't, etc.

I'm still working it out TBH, I've never played Pokemon before, and in games where you get to name your character I sometimes just have it randomized or if said game had like a manga adaptation, I'd use the manga name.

One question though:
Is there any benefit to NOT evolving a Pokemon? Say I have a Psyduck, any benefits to not evolving it to Golduck? Are there any skills it can learn that Golduck can't, etc.

Some level-up moves may be learned faster.

Be warned that some others won't show up if the Pokémon didn't evolve at exactly where it should be evolving unless you don't mind using up a Heart Scale.

The pathetic Elite Four and a lack of any strong, daily trainers really sucks though.

There are so many dragons to choose from at this point, and
the Dragon-using Elite Four member uses freaking Druddigon? Really?

Totally only just noticed girafarig is a palindrome, 13 years after the fact. Welcome to the year 2000, population me. Goddamn.

What else am I missing that is so trivial yet so mindblowing....

qq more

Things I would love in a Gen 3 remake:
-Keep EVERY feature XY has. Don't.cut.a.single.feature. (Seriously GameFreak, stop doing that in every release)
-VS Seeker (I know RSE didn't have this but Gen 3 introduced it anyways)
-Keep all of the improvements Emerald had over R/S
-Secret Base WITH online
-Pokemon following you feature from HGSS

What else? Hmmm...

-Keep EVERY feature XY has. Don't.cut.a.single.feature. (Seriously GameFreak, stop doing that in every release)
-Secret Base WITH online

What else? Hmmm...

Pokemon following you will not happen again until the overworld models and the battle models are the same, so maybe on the next Nintendo handheld.
But anyways to add to that I would say Megas for Sceptile and Swampert as well as Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza.

qq more

Pokemon following you will not happen again until the overworld models and the battle models are the same, so maybe on the next Nintendo handheld.
But anyways to add to that I would say Megas for Sceptile and Swampert as well as Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza.
Well, they went out of their way to sprite 400+ Pokemon overworld sprites in HGSS. I wonder if they can take the battle models and make lowpoly versions of them for the overworld?

Oh, Megas for more Hoenn Pokemon. That's a good idea!

They need to work on engine optimization a bit before they start throwing more models in screen.

Fair point. XY's engine is unstable enough framerate-wise to the point they had to disable 3D for the overworld. Hopefully they can optimize it more.

Caladrius

Considering they already made Mega Blaziken not making Mega Sceptile and Mega Swampert would be a crime against pokemanity.

*Cue moody and Swift Swim abilities*

*Cue Mega Blaziken S with 170 base speed and Attack with Huge power*

They'll want to rename Pokémon-Amie, but this applies in general.

Yup: just allow it through the Pokénav, and let it do for Gym Leaders and the rival(s) too.

I wonder how they're going to handle the three legendaries, but yeah.

-Secret Base WITH online

Basically render unto this what Masuda gave to trainer customization.

They've got other fish to fry.

What else? Hmmm...
Some ideas:

•Vastly expand the Hoenn Contest system for compatibility with Amie + reduce the randomness and players' general inability to influence the outcome of matches; really, contests could be decided really early on, yet it takes a quarter of an hour to then finish the damn things.

•Condense or shorten the water routes between Ever Grande and Pacifidlog, compensating for space by adding more (excuse me) depth to the diving portions. Mirage Island should earn some extra too, perhaps Latios/Latias/maybe Deoxys/whatever.

•Add PWT features to the Battle Frontier, pls.

•Designate a rival (either Wally or gender opposite) and friends a la X/Y; if possible, give Prof. Birch some actual involvement with the main game following early-game.

•No Game Corner anymore, so something will have to replace the one in Mauville—a new mini-game, maybe?

•Streamline biking system, either by using skates for Acro-accessible areas and adding gearshift to regular bike or by making it a multi-purpose mountain bike.

&c.

qq more

Some ideas:

•Vastly expand the Hoenn Contest system for compatibility with Amie + reduce the randomness and players' general inability to influence the outcome of matches; really, contests could be decided really early on, yet it takes a quarter of an hour to then finish the damn things.

•Condense or shorten the water routes between Ever Grande and Pacifidlog, compensating for space by adding more (excuse me) depth to the diving portions. Mirage Island should earn some extra too, perhaps Latios/Latias/maybe Deoxys/whatever.

•Add PWT features to the Battle Frontier, pls.

•Designate a rival (either Wally or gender opposite) and friends a la X/Y; if possible, give Prof. Birch some actual involvement with the main game following early-game.

•No Game Corner anymore, so something will have to replace the one in Mauville—a new mini-game, maybe?

•Streamline biking system, either by using skates for Acro-accessible areas and adding gearshift to regular bike or by making it a multi-purpose mountain bike.

&c.
These are pretty good.

Oh and while we keep customizable trainers, give us hella lot more options. Unnatural hair colors (green, blue, etc), make hats optional (why is your XY rival hatless while you can't?), more clothing options and maybe clothing/hats based on past protags?

MegaMelon

I can't be the only one who can see Z having the E4 using megas? Malva has a torkoal, Drasna has a druddigon,etc. All the other mons on their team are gen 6 and viable but the other one feels lacking.

-Secret Base WITH online

What else? Hmmm...

Hey guys, lets start taking bets on the features that X and Y introduced (and that Z will surely polish to perfection) that GF will drop for the next-gen sequel or remake. Amie? Definitely. Super training? Definitely, though I think we'll still have a visible read-out of EVs in some fashion.

I'm confused, what are we referring to...?
Hr5Fpee.png

Notice how it's shaped like an eye Sugimori would draw. That's all I've got on it, really.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hey guys, lets start taking bets on the features that X and Y introduced (and that Z will surely polish to perfection) that GF will drop for the next-gen sequel or remake. Amie? Definitely. Super training? Definitely, though I think we'll still have a visible read-out of EVs in some fashion.

The only cut features are those that are deemed superfluous or are replaced with something that has the same features.

Pokemon walking is superfluous. Amie isn't.

VS Seeker is replaced by various modes in other games.

Day/Night was removed in Gen III due to limitations apparently. It was permanently added in Gen IV since. Changing seasons is superfluous.

Contest started the "mini-games" segment which have replacements since gen IV (Pokeathlon, movie-making and musicals, Super Training)

etc. etc.

Zeroth

Locking out Amie would also means locking out Sylveon, so I'm not so sure. I feel they invested a lot of time on it to simply not bring it over to the remakes.

DaBoss

Locking out Amie would also means locking out Sylveon, so I'm not so sure. I feel they invested a lot of time on it to simply not bring it over to the remakes.

Ahh right, completely forgot about that. They may do something like what they did with Milotic though.

But yea, I see what you mean. This probably is the feature they put the most work in to compared to the rest of the series.

Fireblend

Banned
I doubt they'd remove Amie from the feature list; it's easily a game seller. I've seen many of my small cousins play with my Pancham/Pikachu/Growlithe for hours and they'd hate if they removed that from future games. At most they will probably change the name. Combined with the "Pokemon following you" feature, it'd be brilliant.

zroid

Banned
Well, I think the affection mechanic could persist in future games, even if Pokémon-Amie were removed. Affection is really cool (in-battle effects, experience bonuses, and the charming comments made in-battle are all great), but Amie does get a bit tiresome after a while. It's nice seeing how different Pokémon react, but it is very repetitive. There also should've been more than 3 mini-games.

Boss Doggie

Amie is definitely superfluous.
Ahh right, completely forgot about that. They may do something like what they did with Milotic though.

But yea, I see what you mean. This probably is the feature they put the most work in to compared to the rest of the series.

Amie has more than evolution. It adds single player stuff like changing the generic dialog and adds stuff like chances to criticals and the like.

And let's not forget that they actually made EACH pokemon animate uniquely in amie, with unique properties even!

What does walking Pokemon have to add other than using the generic lines like "Gardevoir barked at you!" and leaf crowns?

Well, I think the affection mechanic could persist in future games, even if Pokémon-Amie were removed. Affection is really cool (in-battle effects, experience bonuses, and the charming comments made in-battle are all great), but Amie does get a bit tiresome after a while. It's nice seeing how different Pokémon react, but it is very repetitive. There also should've been more than 3 mini-games.

Ah but that just means they'll upgrade Amie even more.

Another thing may force out Amie - namely, if a future handheld ditches the touchscreen.

I don't think it's too likely (two screens are too handy *_*), but it's possible. Also, the amount of work put into it is irrelevant - see: contests.

Zeroth

Well, in a way it's not like they never made some evolutions unobtainable in certain games. In Gen 3, you could only get a Umbreon/Sylveon in RSE or the GC games, even though Eevee was only found in FRLG for the portable games, and in Gen 4 the place-based evolutions were locked to DPPt. But still, I still believe they won't simply scrap it, since you can see they put a lot of work on it.

Another thing may force out Amie - namely, if a future handheld ditches the touchscreen.

I don't think it's too likely (two screens are too handy *_*), but it's possible. Also, the amount of work put into it is irrelevant - see: contests.

Well, they did survive 2 generations...

I feel that the reason GF removes and adds features so often is because they don't want to keep redoing them all the same, but add increments, and when they don't think they can do more to it, they hold it for future games. I can easily see that happening to Contests, at least.

Boss Doggie

Contests not appearing sorta was hinted with HG/SS though (Poke-athlon). And they seem to be promoting Amie much.

With that said, I see the Contest equivalent more to ST.

Contests not appearing sorta was hinted with HG/SS though (Poke-athlon). And they seem to be promoting Amie much.

With that said, I see the Contest equivalent more to ST.
They weren't in FRLG either - I think the primary reason there was because they were remakes, and the idea was to have them in locations spaced out alongside gyms.

Going forward... the breeding changes will definitely go forward. The No Egg IVs will go forward. The Friend Safari may be a G6 deal only - it depends on how the portables going forward handle friends. Sky Battles seem like they were inspired by PokeRinger, and may be expanded. Horde Battles... I think they have a good chance to stay. Super Training may/may not stay - I think that either it or something better will be in future games, because Game Freak has been doubling down on competitive with every new title, and has been determined to make things easier. I think the graphs work well as a visual indicator of "this Pokemon is well-trained in Attack and Speed" to those who are unaware.

zroid

Banned
That bottom panel really got a laugh out of me xD

As if Pokémon-amie were a brainwashing tool, to gradually make your Pokémon more and more "amiable" toward heading giant balls of yarn for your personal amusement.

So not sure if this is the right thread considering there are like 2 other Pokemon threads. But beat X/Y and, while an amazing game, I was left disappointed with the post-game content and the development between you and your friends and rival. It seemed at first like this was gonna be the first pokemon game with romance introduced, then nothing went past it.

Toxi

Banned
So not sure if this is the right thread considering there are like 2 other Pokemon threads. But beat X/Y and, while an amazing game, I was left disappointed with the post-game content and the development between you and your friends and rival. It seemed at first like this was gonna be the first pokemon game with romance introduced, then nothing went past it.
Do you not remember the fabulous Ferris wheel?

Although that was more creepy and awkward than romantic.

Top Bottom