• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

They're getting closer and closer all the time, starting with R/S/E even.

Amie, if it had to be replaced, could possibly turn into the Pokéblocks system revived for Gen III remakes, mainly because affection mechanics are nifty.

So not sure if this is the right thread considering there are like 2 other Pokemon threads. But beat X/Y and, while an amazing game, I was left disappointed with the post-game content and the development between you and your friends and rival. It seemed at first like this was gonna be the first pokemon game with romance introduced, then nothing went past it.

Yeah, I didn't like the lack of post-game stuff either.

What did people expect from the post game? I guess my memories of pokemon post-games are defined by blue and ruby, and for silver I felt like the main game was up until you beat kanto so I never called it post-game. Basically, catching more monsters and playing the hell out of side areas/quests is all I ever actually expected, plus the mewtwo equivalent legendary.

I guess I never beat any of the games that actually had battle frontiers. I also never beat diamond til recently so I haven't set foot in its northeastern postgame area and idk what it was like. Also only recently beat white and never explored most of the last few routes that happened postgame so maybe I'm underestimating them? Idk. Postgame pokemon for me has always been defined as "the point where you start making your own fun" so I wasn't heartbroken when I discovered there was no sevii islands or whatever area with new routes.

qq more

I consider Kanto from GSC post-game because you've beaten the Elite 4, became Champion and the credits rolled. Everything afterwards is post-game.

zroid

Banned
Just got my Kalos guidebook (hardcover). Pretty happy with it actually. The cover is nice and shiny, and it comes with two maps (one labeled, one not) and a 3DS cleaning cloth. As expected, not a lot of information beyond a standard story walkthrough, but it's presented well. For $11.50 I don't think you can go wrong if you're into collecting Pokémon stuff.

Toxi

Banned
I can't wait to play around with the Regis and Unown.
...That actually sounds like it could be interesting. Especially the Regis. How do they show emotional responses to stimuli? Blinking lights? Spasmodically waving their arms? Emoticons?

I need to try Amie with Primeape and see what happens when I upset it.

Caladrius

...That actually sounds like it could be interesting. Especially the Regis. How do they show emotional responses to stimuli? Blinking lights? Spasmodically waving their arms? Emoticons?

I need to try Amie with Primeape and see what happens when I upset it.

They blink lights in the films I think. Though I think arm flailing would be much funnier.

DaBoss

Speaking of R/S/E, is it true that there is a Braille to English letter thing in the manual of the R/S/E games? I printed out a sheet to do the translating.

It's like 2002 was the one year Nintendo games decided ciphering English into fictional languages was a cool thing (Wind Waker, Star Fox Adventures, and RS each had Hylian, Saurian, and this Braille stuff respectively).

Toxi

Banned
They blink lights in the films I think. Though I think arm flailing would be much funnier.
It's what Regice does in Colosseum, so it wouldn't be that out of the ordinary.

The Regi trio have the best animations in the 3D games.
Speaking of R/S/E, is it true that there is a Braille to English letter thing in the manual of the R/S/E games? I printed out a sheet to do the translating.
Yep, there was. I got the game secondhand as a kid, but it still came with the manual.

-Horizon-

Yep, there was. I got the game secondhand as a kid, but it still came with the manual.

Was it like on the inside cover of the manual? Because that part fell off for me. I still have the rest though.

The last page for me (on trainer tips) only mentions that a puzzle might be in Braille :/

Keyouta

I have Ruby, Firered, and Emerald's boxes here and there's no braille sheet in any of them.

DaBoss

Bulbapedia has a picture of a Braille chart that came with FireRed/LeafGreen. Don't see anything about R/S/E. Looks like I was misremembering it. I thought I remembered finding out that there was a Braille chart included within R/S/E's manual.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Real talk, rewatching The Origins again and once the "oh my this is game in anime form!" fluff has settled, it's... really mediocre. The anime's bests beats The Origin's bests.

I couldn't stand the first rival battle in Origins: awesome choreography, but the writing and absolutely ham-fisted melodrama of the event pissed me off. Why the fuck is Brock so fucking interested in this kid that he has to stand behind a tree for a couple of hours?! On top of that, it's either quite extraordinary for a Pokémon-obsessed boy like Red to know so little about them or his rival's just that much more informed than most young trainers—neither outcome is specified by the show itself.

You tell me.

MegaMelon

I couldn't stand the first rival battle in Origins: awesome choreography, but the writing and absolutely ham-fisted melodrama of the event pissed me off. Why the fuck is Brock so fucking interested in this kid that he has to stand behind a tree for a couple of hours?!

You tell me.

If you look, he's not actually looking at them. He's got his eyes shut so he's using his amazing hearing to hear the battle.
:lol

Derwind

I cant find a single normal type for friend safari... god damn...I really neef to reevaluate the value of my friends.

80+ hours to end game. Took my sweet time.

Edit; Anyone who knows they're a normal type PM me. I'd really appreciate it.

Real talk, rewatching The Origins again and once the "oh my this is game in anime form!" fluff has settled, it's... really mediocre. The anime's bests beats The Origin's bests.

I really wanted to the ladies Green or Yellow of viridian forest. Then I realized it was a movie about the game.

I wouldn't call it mediocre but it sure as hell could be better. It seemed like it was trying to pack too much into an hour or so time frame.

It could have done better as 5-10 40min long OVA's...

zroid

Banned
Haven't been playing at all in the last few days, 'cause I have a lot of real life to catch up on. :(

Next week I will be free to continue my journey. Still sitting at about 85 hours and 6 badges.

MegaMelon

Any chance of seeing an Origin-esque anime special fo any other regions? I'd love to see one for Johto, with Gold squaring off against Red and his
Mega Mew. lol I wish
. Maybe we could see one for RSE games?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I really wanted to the ladies Green or Yellow of viridian forest. Then I realized it was a movie about the game.

I wouldn't call it mediocre but it sure as hell could be better. It seemed like it was trying to pack too much into an hour or so time frame.

It could have done better as 5-10 40min long OVA's...

With the way they handled it, they might end up padding the whole OVA if they added more.

Honestly it's more of the focus and too much pandering rather than letting the show does its thing that bothers me.

Derwind

With the way they handled it, they might end up padding the whole OVA if they added more.

Honestly it's more of the focus and too much pandering rather than letting the show does its thing that bothers me.

Well I figured they might have more time to develop and round the characters out a little with the OVA series format. It all just felt a little too rushed. You never really got to see Red develop on screen. He mostly developed off screen and would show up bigger, badder, stronger.

Also the way Giovani went out was pretty ridiculous even if it did follow the plot of the game. It was like after a single pokemon battle he abandobs his entire adult lifes ambition and disbands his entire organization because one snot nose kid reminded him how fun pokemon battles are? :/

Speaking of which the entire team rocket enterprise was a foot note in the movie and it was all offscreen.

Thats probably why the way Giovanni went out felt ridiculous, there was no build up to that, no series of changing preceptions and a progress of personal discovery by Giovanni during his encounters with the boy.

You just dont go from hurting/manipulating pokemon and then caring about pokemon/battles in a single instant.

There was no build up.

That brings me back to the point of why the movie felt rushed. It packed too much plot with very little build up to carry the story along.

Thats my biggest gripe.

I can still watch it again though, which means its nof a total loss for me. Lol.

Honestly, it was only meant to promote the new Charizard Mega and pander to a choir that won't really listen. The best thing about Origins is that the battles are even better than in the regular anime.

True. I've been taking the multiple-teams argument for granted a long time now, though.

I bet there are more Origins episodes to come for the other regions. They're nifty alternatives.

Zeroth

And they finally explained why the first Gym can be defeated by a Level 8 Pokemon!

I was positively surprised by that. It was a nice explanation to why the gym leaders were always at the same level or slightly above yours. Makes me hope for a gen where we can fight Gym Leaders in our own order.

A more non-linear plot progression + region layout would do wonders for the next mainline games. Hoenn and Sinnoh are surprisingly progressive in this regard—too bad Unova restricted players more severely than before.

DaBoss

Yea, it would be cool to fight the Gym Leaders in any order.

A more non-linear plot progression + region layout would do wonders for the next mainline games. Hoenn and Sinnoh are surprisingly progressive in this regard—too bad Unova restricted players more severely than before.

There's no difference between you going straight, or having to go back and forth if the path is already set.

Caladrius

Yea, it would be cool to fight the Gym Leaders in any order.

There's no difference between you going straight, or having to go back and forth if the path is already set.

The railroading isn't as painful when you know you're going to go in a direction that isn't north or west, (That one time you went east to Opelucid does not count.)

-Horizon-

Yo dawg it's almost all hallows eve, I gotta get in the ghost-type crew with my homeboys Morty, Golurk and Giratina. We can have the Ribboning again on the XY anniversary!

But by then the Ruby and Sapphire remakes will have been announced and every one would be bedazzling their avatars D:

eZR9XHC.jpg

qq more

omfg the cruel irony

The designer who designed Stoutland (who has been my avatar earlier this year and also one of my top favorite Pokemon) designed freaking Sylveon

oh

my
goddslg;sgl;
gsdgiksdgksldsdklgsdklsdggsf

Top Bottom