• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
This is cute

OvRiETm.jpg

can't wait for hipster scatterbug

Caladrius

I didn't really care for any of the characters. To be fair I rarely do for any of the characters but I usually find a standout or two amongst a given game's cast. (Lt. Surge, Claire and Morty, Steven, Cyrus and Cynthia, N and Drayden)

Japanese polls place Korrina and Tierno right behind him, too—the obvious gimmick for Sycamore is that he's the next N in terms of attractiveness.

NO.
I care for so few people in this game. Korrina does nothing but ramble random bullshit about AMAZING BOND, Wulfric is the only gym leader I like.
Tierno is nearly unbearable. The "rival" is pathetic and a moron, and you don't even get to watch their team develop, because they insist on using only 3 Pokemon for all but one fight before the post-game.

Caladrius

NO.
I care for so few people in this game. Korrina does nothing but ramble random bullshit about AMAZING BOND, Wulfric is the only gym leader I like.
Tierno is nearly unbearable. The "rival" is pathetic and a moron, and you don't even get to watch their team develop, because they insist on using only 3 Pokemon for all but one fight before the post-game.

I love how they made a character who revolves entirely around dancing and give him exactly one pokemon that could conceivably dance (and let's face it, he doesn't deserve Roserade. Or Crawdaunt while we're at it.)

The whole thing they did with the rivals was utterly baffling considering you get at least 3 pokemon thrown at you (two of which have a Mega-Evo), an exp boosting item and the ability to use more than 3 healing items. They should have had 5 minimum by the end.

It's funny: I feel like there's never been this much metagame talk in the latest-game OT before, though I tell myself that's not true. If GF's trying to make the single-player experience easier and more accessible, then it's all for the benefit of multiplayer and trading. This goes for the story, too; I could be wrong, the half-hearted friend characterizations could just be a fluke, but this aim for simplicity at this angle seems in part a reaction to Gen V's direction, and not a necessary move either. I think it's fine if the company's not feeling like they should push the formula, but don't strip away what's already getting better! If anything, there's room for a more interesting Pokémon world that's both flamboyant and actually complex underneath the sheen.

tl;dr Tierno's a lost cause, Korrina's no Wulfric, and I'm about to write fanfiction here.

Zeroth

Malva is definitely the most interesting E4 member by far. Has the most character out all of them so far.

Which is not saying a lot, sadly. A problem that not only the E4, but also Gym Leaders face, is that their characterization is usually limited, though I suppose you could make a point for that on most pokemon characters.

-Horizon-

What has Wulfric done that he would be ranked higher over Korrina? Talk to you for a bit at the
Pokemon Village
?

Also Shauna was best friend.

Which is not saying a lot, sadly. A problem that not only the E4, but also Gym Leaders face, is that their characterization is usually limited, though I suppose you could make a point for that on most pokemon characters.

Who has had the most characterization in the series? N? Ghetsis? Cynthia?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
tbqh I can see the appeal of Tierno.

He's a rare character where he acts pretty much like what you'd expect to a character.

What has Wulfric done that he would be ranked higher over Korrina? Talk to you for a bit at the
Pokemon Village
?

Aside from Pokemon VIllage...

...he's very friendly, hot-blooded, badass in design, and he knows his typing sucks defensively but still goes for it.

-Horizon-

Aside from Pokemon VIllage...

...he's very friendly, hot-blooded, badass in design, and he knows his typing sucks defensively but still goes for it.

Same thing could be said about Korrina, she's friendly, battles you like 3 times and is excited every time, design is arguable but I like her design.

Every time I see Wulfric, all I can think of is Grandpa Max with a mustache from Ben10 lol.

Pokemon Village
?

Wulfric is a walrus-man. How can some girl on skates with a skull helmet compete with that? Also Korrina perpetuates the patronizing "ur amazing bond wit pokemons" crap that you don't even earn/ makes no sense.

Zeroth

Who has had the most characterization in the series? N? Ghetsis? Cynthia?

I can't talk about Ghetsis as I haven't played BW2, but speaking solely from BW, I believe N is the one that had the most development. It's not really a matter of changing of ideas and convictions, but how it is done that gives him a deeper feel.

Cynthia is not exactly a good example. Yes, she is seen a lot and here and there and we find new things about her, but deep down she's the same character, it's only the lore around her that changes.

Caladrius

I can't talk about Ghetsis as I haven't played BW2, but speaking solely from BW, I believe N is the one that had the most development. It's not really a matter of changing of ideas and convictions, but how it is done that gives him a deeper feel.

If you have no intention of ever playing them:
Once you manage to trounce Ghetsis' team he completely loses his shit from losing his last chance at fulfilling his ambitions and becomes completely incapable of functioning without the Shaodow Triad.

Zeroth

If you have no intention of ever playing them:
Once you manage to trounce Ghetsis' team he completely loses his shit from losing his last chance at fulfilling his ambitions and becomes completely incapable of functioning without the Shaodow Triad.

That doesn't sound much like a character development, but a natural consequence of his actions much like other villains.

Top Bottom