• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

FSLink

Banned
Exactly, it's unobtainable in the game itself, but obtainable through a Mystery Gift event which is limited time only, so it's still "unobtainable".

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
hzpe6m0.gif

VLaP5t6.gif

Also

s2PQoQy.png

You guys know Smogon's whole Create-A-Pokemon project? It'd be neat to see a GAF version - that is, fakemons that are created with the intent of filling in gameplay roles rather than just making neat designs for the hell of it (but that'd be fun too).

Shamelessly crossposting alongside the XY thread: I whipped up a theoretical analysis for an old fakemon of mine known as Isulven, which is designed as a speedy (but durable) pseudolegendary supporter. Click the pic to go to the full article.

And here's a preview if you need motivation in the form of its Special Sweeper set, which is probably the most interesting from a gameplay perspective.

Special Sweeper
Isulven @ Focus Sash
Ability: Slipstream
4 HP / 252 Sp. Attack / 252 Speed
- Soak
- Scald
- Frost Breath / Freeze Dry
- Substitute / Numb / Calm Mind

The obvious objective here is to use the Speed increase to get in at least one Calm Mind or possibly a Substitute while the opponent sets up, with a bare minimum of one boost being all but ensured thanks to Focus Sash. Afterwards, you can Scald to hopefully burn and reduce the Attack of any beefy threats. Frost Breath, once again, is helpful against buffed opponents, while Soak / Freeze Dry can hit virtually everything for super-effective damage thanks to Freeze Dry hitting water-types hard.

Credit to Neiteio for the ability idea - Slipstream kicks up a five-turn Tailwind (doubles speed of all party members) in a similar vein to weather effect abilities.

Firestorm

5 USD for blisters
13 USD for theme decks
35 USD for the elite trainer boxes
90 USD for booster boxes.
Almost every friend I know says booster packs are $3 in the US. Do not buy from Toys R Us or something. Buy from card shops. Even in Canada packs are $4. $5 is overpaying for sure.

Caladrius

So how deep is the Pokemon TCG nowadays? I found it fun as a kid but never really delved into it.

It's significantly faster-paced. Competitive setups nowadays can get their main strategies setup within a turn or two. Even in casual play momentum turns on a dime due to the high-risk, high reward play style of a lot of cards.

The main difference is the addition of special cards (pokemon EX) that are very powerful but cost 2 prize cards if KO'd, and are stalled completely by a select few pokemon that are made specifically to counter them. If you're careless with them things turn very sour very quickly, but they can ruin people's day if they're used right. They've also added 3 (soon to be 4, Dark, Steel,Dragon,Fairy) extra energy types, meaning type matchups aren't quite as likely to cripple any particular deck as they were before.

The cards are also much prettier.

Exploud
Code:
Ice Beam 75.791%
Boomburst 71.455%
Surf 51.237%
Focus Blast 49.918%
Shadow Ball 31.686%
Fire Blast 28.753%
Hyper Voice 26.960%
Overheat 23.673%
Flamethrower 22.467%
Other 18.060%
So, uh, what would cause someone to use Hyper Voice over Boomburst?

Exploud
Code:
Ice Beam 75.791%
Boomburst 71.455%
Surf 51.237%
Focus Blast 49.918%
Shadow Ball 31.686%
Fire Blast 28.753%
Hyper Voice 26.960%
Overheat 23.673%
Flamethrower 22.467%
Other 18.060%
Maybe if they are unaware Exploud gets Boomburst, or are running old sets =_=

Firestorm

I can never find them for cheaper than 4.90 :/
Where do you live? I know at least 3 different places here in Vancouver that do it for $4 each taxes in though I don't normally buy packs individually. Even pre-release events are $35 for 8 packs in Canada (4.38 a pack).
So how deep is the Pokemon TCG nowadays? I found it fun as a kid but never really delved into it.
Probably not as deep as what many seem to consider the peak of the game a few years back but still plenty fun with strategy to be found. Check out http://thetopcut.net for videos and articles and stuff!

Where do you live? I know at least 3 different places here in Vancouver that do it for $4 each taxes in though I don't normally buy packs individually. Even pre-release events are $35 for 8 packs in Canada (4.38 a pack).

GTA, Newmarket
We have one card shop that sells them for 4.98
We have one comic store that USE to sell them for 4.93

Exploud
Code:
Ice Beam 75.791%
Boomburst 71.455%
Shadow Ball 31.686%
Fire Blast 28.753%

There's my moveset. I would've thought Fire Blast would be over Focus Blast as it's great for countering Aegislash. I'm thinking of changing Shadow Ball to Surf as I hardly use it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Really nice sounding album, I bet. But this has never been an issue for Game Freak: their soundtrack releases all have quality production.

Oh I know the game OSTs are magnificent, I'm talking about the difference. Like how the hardware really held back the actual sound and hearing them here sounding so pure is so delightful.

Congraturation! Best of luck and get'cho baby a propeller hat!

I should probably clear this up, It isn't my baby, but the baby's father is in prison and will be for a long time and the mother lives with me, so I'm stepping in to be a "father figure".
What makes shit crazier is that the father is my half brother.

Soap opera plots, am I right?

Caladrius

I should probably clear this up, It isn't my baby, but the baby's father is in prison and will be for a long time and the mother lives with me, so I'm stepping in to be a "father figure".
What makes shit crazier is that the father is my half brother.

Soap opera plots, am I right?

Sounds like Christmas time at my aunt's household. The most dangerous people are usually relatives, as I have come to learn.

Still.

Propeller cap is mandatory.

Styles

Does anyone still have an Evee in their Pokemon D//P/Pt/HG/SS game they could spare? Replaying Diamond right now, and I'd like to evolve one into a Glaceon. PM, if you do. Thanks!

Edit: On second thought. nevermind!

What's so different?

Basically just a metric fuckton of new shit being dumped into the metagame, rather than anything being done to make sense of it. Pokemon can transform mid-battle into basically legendaries with stupidly-good abilities, two new Prankster Pokemon, one of whom has great typing (Klefki), weather (already one of the biggest complaints about Gen 5) is now even easier to summon than ever, absurd new abilities like Gale Wings turning Brave Bird into a priority attack. It's basically just an endless cycle of trying to patch up weaknesses in your team only for a dozen more to pop up, to the point that most battles are settled before you even start, and I feel like the metagame is eventually going to just revolve around very simple cores of the strongest new Pokemon, like Mega Kangskhan.

The complaint about weather last gen was that it lasted forever, not that it was easy to summon. With the nerfs to permanent weather, rain stall is all but dead.

Top Bottom