• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

XwidFbT.png

OyE1F9L.png

b5znZSZ.png

http://luce-do-the-doodles.tumblr.com/

coopolon

So I'm really enjoying pokemon y. It's my first pokemon game. I'm thinking about going back and trying some older games next. I'm not interested in competitive multiplayer, basically just playing through the game, trying to complete the pokedex, raising pokemon, etc.

I understand in hg/ss after beating the game you can go back and play through the entire region of the first game. Does that make it kind of pointless to go back and play firered/leafgreen? Or are they still pretty different experiences.

edit: oh, also, do the gba games have a quicksave/suspend feature? I would be playing them in a ds lite, but I'm pretty sure gba games don't go to sleep when you shut it.

Caladrius

So I'm really enjoying pokemon y. It's my first pokemon game. I'm thinking about going back and trying some older games next. I'm not interested in competitive multiplayer, basically just playing through the game, trying to complete the pokedex, raising pokemon, etc.

I understand in hg/ss after beating the game you can go back and play through the entire region of the first game. Does that make it kind of pointless to go back and play firered/leafgreen? Or are they still pretty different experiences.

edit: oh, also, do the gba games have a quicksave/suspend feature? I would be playing them in a ds lite, but I'm pretty sure gba games don't go to sleep when you shut it.

The Kanto in HGSS is very different from the one is FR/LG. And GBA games can't be suspended I'm afraid.

Caladrius

Ohhh crap. How do you save? Is it like it is in gen 6 where you can just save anywhere?

Are there any pokemon in fr/lg that can't be caught in ss/hg?

You can save anywhere.It should be an option in the menu. There's a few pokemon from Kanto you might not be able to get but that's about it for unavailable pokemon. HG/SS have a lot more pokemon overall than FR/LG.

qq more

You should try out the very first games if you enjoy going that far back in game. RBY still manages to be fun to this day, especially through casual plays. Had a lot of fun replaying Blue Version :)

-Horizon-

You should try out the very first games if you enjoy going that far back in game. RBY still manages to be fun to this day, especially through casual plays. Had a lot of fun replaying Blue Version :)

Lack of running shoes means I'm never going back to gen 1 and 2. And yes, I hate using bikes in any of the Pokemon games.

Lack of unlimited bag space sometimes makes me hesitant to get back into gen 3.

qq more

Lack of running shoes means I'm never going back to gen 1 and 2. And yes, I hate using bikes in any of the Pokemon games.

Lack of unlimited bag space sometimes makes me hesitant to get back into gen 3.

lack of running shoes and unlimited bags were things i really missed, but i always felt it was nice taking a trip to the past. i didnt have much of a problem going back honestly

now I want a Pokemon Crossing
they should bring back secret base w/ online if they do a Gen 3 remake

it would be sort of like pokemon crossing lite lol

-Horizon-

lack of running shoes and unlimited bags were things i really missed, but i always felt it was nice taking a trip to the past. i didnt have much of a problem going back honestly

I'll need to find my copy of Red and Gold first, I might have lost them somewhere at this point :[

Either way, I already find 4th and 5th gen strange looking compared to gen 6. I'm too easy influenced by new games.

I learned that Dolphins are willing and capable of killing each other for no discernible reason.

From a thread in OT GAF, I learned that dolphins may sometimes use fish corpses for recreational activities lol.

I'll need to find my copy of Red and Gold first, I might have lost them somewhere at this point :[

Either way, I already find 4th and 5th gen strange looking compared to gen 6. I'm too easy influenced by new games.

From a thread in OT GAF, I learned that dolphins may sometimes use fish corpses for recreational activities lol.

I would like to see how a dolphin is actually transitioned into Pokemon.

Ohhh crap. How do you save? Is it like it is in gen 6 where you can just save anywhere?

Are there any pokemon in fr/lg that can't be caught in ss/hg?

He means there is no equivalent ot folding shut the ds for sleep mode. Saving has always been "save anywhere from menu" even on the game boy.

coopolon

I think the clock battery in Emerald dies. No idea if FR/LG had battery features but no, your saves will be safe.

Thanks! I'm thinking what I'm going to do is buy firered, but actually play it in emulators (vba on pc, myboy on android). It should be relatively trivial to copy my save file to the cart after I'm done though right? I have an r4 and a ds lite. I want to be able to transfer any pokemon forward to the gen iv games after finishing.

Oh, hmm, I guess the other concern is would poke bank see them as hacked?

qq more

ummm no idea how transferring those saves works actually

and i dont think pokebank will see them as hacked, the pokemon themselves should still be legal

Not a pokemon question exactly, although I'll eventually be playing X. A question for you 3DSXL owners.

This is my first ever 3DS, just came home with the Zelda model. It's beautiful, but...the D-Pad seems a little lose.

Like, it's not in danger of falling off, but it doesn't seem super tight. When I am on the e-shop and control up, down, left right, it's fine, but just the D-pad seems a bit off.

Is this normal for you other owners, or are your D-pads very tight on the XLs?

lupinko

I'm going to go back and play Emerald and LeafGreen, and I have a copy of Ruby also to allow for all three starters (not to mention the bonus Coliseum GC disc).

Anyway posturing aside, what combo should I use to start with for both games?

LeafGreen - Squirtle / Torchic / Treecko / Jirachi
Emerald - Mudkips / Charmander / Bulbasaur / Jirachi

Blastoise gets replaced with Herpderp Watermon. =/

Top Bottom