• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

That's beautiful...until you remember that the tortured existence it suffered as Deino and Zwellous has turned it into a violent maniac who attacks and devours anything that moves. :(

Keep in mind dex entires are potentially being filled out by the trainers, though. Unless you power-level a ton, the first Hydreigon you're bound to encounter is probably the one Ghetsis owns, and you can imagine that pretty much all of the Pokemon he raises are going to turn out like monsters. Keep in mind you get dex entries the second you own the Pokemon, meaning that trainers probably fill that stuff out based on first-glance or prior experience. As for the dex entries of Deino and Zweilous, they're also living in harsh conditions on victory road.

If someone kind raised one it probably wouldn't be anywhere near as extreme, despite the dex entries. The Dark type in general has gone out of its way to try and prove itself to be good-intentioned in the past, anyway.

Caladrius

Eh, shiny legendaries usually look lame anyways.

Green glowing Zekrom is still a severe lost opportunity.

I don't like their stance. >:|

We have to make Gamefreak HQ shiny just to spite them. GRAB THE PAINTBRUSHES.

If someone kind raised one it probably wouldn't be anywhere near as extreme, despite the dex entries. The Dark type in general has gone out of its way to try and prove itself to be good-intentioned in the past, anyway.

I find it funny that something outright called "Evil-type" features good spirited pokemon.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Why is the anime actually watchable now

Z2WzOMx.gif

1386269068958tocb4.gif

138626871126519exy.gif

v81oX6a.gif

Boss Doggie

Holy crap, the anime looks like that now? Wow.

Yeah the anime is consistent in quality so far. Even the previous episode, a filler, is really good.

Also the first gym fight has really great animation.

Stuff I like in the anime so far: Ash is competent, his companions aren't dicks and are equally competent, his team is actually good, Team Rocket doesn't appear every episode, while they're not serious they manage to do what they want to successfully until the gang sees them, no and quality animation. Oh and there's good pacing. The route they took would probably have 10+ episodes back then where now they only took around 3 or so.

Yeah the anime is consistent in quality so far. Even the previous episode, a filler, is really good.

Also the first gym fight has really great animation.

Stuff I like in the anime so far: Ash is competent, his companions aren't dicks and are equally competent, his team is actually good, Team Rocket doesn't appear every episode, while they're not serious they manage to do what they want to successfully until the gang sees them, no and quality animation. Oh and there's good pacing. The route they took would probably have 10+ episodes back then where now they only took around 3 or so.

THAT is quite the improvement. Might take the chance to watch the XY series.

Caladrius

:p

Totally saving this pic.

I'll give you a post to test it on. *ahem*

"Scrafty is a dumb design. Why does he have a chicken comb thing on his head? Worst design since that one guy with the hat in Persona 3, ugh."

He even looks like a Digimon!

Also this was a productive use of my money:

Veeeery productive
The Legendary Treasures set is a good candidate for a Booster Box purchase because of the modified rarities.There's two rares per pack IIRC (I wasn't paying close attention). I got two Pokemon EX in one booster pack on one occasion. (I think Radiant collection also isn't factored in the rare card quota.)

Giratina used swagger!

ReiGun

Why is the anime actually watchable now
I was wondering the same thing this morning when a random Kotaku post got me to check it out. It's actually really good. I like the companions and the animation is the best it's ever been. Surskit's movement in the first gym fight was slick as fuuuuuuck.

Boss Doggie

Man I really like Bonnie's jammies. This is the second episode featuring it.

MJgFM6P.jpg

She has good taste in Pokemon

blamite

The new anime stuff looks pretty rad actually. It hasn't started airing in English yet, right? Do we know when that should start? I'll have to deal with the new voice actors, but whatever.

I've been watching bunch of old stuff from the first season on Pokemon.com and I'm kind of surprised that it's actually really funny a lot of the time, and that I didn't just like it because of nostalgia. Team Rocket is way less obnoxious than they seem to be now, and Meowth especially is really great. The episode where Togepi hatches and Meowth takes care of the egg, and then fights as his own trainer is really great.

And then I watched the Hoenn episodes where Misty comes back and Togepi evolves and leaves and they were dumb and bad. Bleh.

Milennia

The new anime stuff looks pretty rad actually. It hasn't started airing in English yet, right? Do we know when that should start? I'll have to deal with the new voice actors, but whatever.

I've been watching bunch of old stuff from the first season on Pokemon.com and I'm kind of surprised that it's actually really funny a lot of the time, and that I didn't just like it because of nostalgia. Team Rocket is way less obnoxious than they seem to be now, and Meowth especially is really great. The episode where Togepi hatches and Meowth takes care of the egg, and then fights as his own trainer is really great.

And then I watched the Hoenn episodes where Misty comes back and Togepi evolves and leaves and they were dumb and bad. Bleh.

First 2 episodes are out in english from what i can tell (and seen).

coopolon

Yah, those gifs look amazing. When did the animation hit that quality? I'd be interested in starting at that point.

Yah, I've been watching some of the first season and some of them are rather funny.

I really want them to turn The Origin into an anthology series that details the exploits of all of the in-game protags, one at a time.

Maybe have them meet up at the Pokemon World Tournament or something.

Boss Doggie

BW is terrible because it turned Ash back into his Kanto self, Pikachu was nerfed hard, and he has a useless companion + an annoying, hypocritical companion

Well animation has been superb since XY promo.

Personally, I choose to believe that they bumped it into high gear because we actually have ANIMATIONS in the games and that kinda sets the bar far above the dog-shit that was BW for the most part.

I mean, who wants to watch the anime if the characters and Pokemon move worse than they do in the games?

Iris's the worst addition to the show.
This kinda stuff is funny ... I loved Iris until it became clear they weren't gonna make her progress in her goal via evolving her Axew.

Why? Because ... we all know Ash is doomed to fail. He will never win in the end, his battle tactics and morals will always be inconsistent and shakey at best. He will never truly carry on his progress from journey to journey and he will always suck up the screen time.

KNOWING THIS I find him far less interesting and more of a hindrance to my enjoyment of this anime. So I have to look at the side-protags to see something worth watching ... and that's how I came to love Iris. She's smart as fuck, has a personality and acts like a child that age would act ... actually made me enjoy their interactions more. Ash and Iris are both kids so it makes prefect sense for them to bicker and do kid shit. Also love how she calls him out on his shit :p

But knowing why I like this I can also see hoe Ash fans would this like her. If you actually like this doomed-to-be-an-eternal-child character who will never really grow in any meaningful way or progress in his goal then I would see why someone bickering with them could make you think poorly of them.

Boss Doggie

But Ash does develops. But sadly not many people remember what he did in Hoenn and Sinnoh. The only flaw he has really is the writers in the show not wanting him to end, which is why they pulled shit in Sinnoh since he was so good they had to use Legendaries to get him.

Iris is terrible because characters who are all "pot calling kettle black" are unlikable. It would have been great if she developed, but sadly she stuck with that.

The fact that Ash is skilled and competent back to his Sinnoh days in XY is really something. While I may not look fondly at the anime, at least it's something so tasteful and worth looking.

Ash's "progress" is centered almost completely on "who is he traveling left". As in, if it's a newb trainer and they can actually have their OWN focus and adventures (May-Dawn doing contest ) then he's allowed to look like he knows what he's doing and he can mentor the newb. That is why I believe 3rd and 4th gen Ash felt more matured and more like a character that progressed. They can't make BOTH characters newbs, that wouldn't look right ... and you gotta make Ash look stronger than the newb girl anyway cause he has been battling longer.

That didn't happen in BW cause they didn't have newb trainers with him. One's a Gym leader and Iris was ripping up dragon tourneys before Ash even got a chance to pet Pikachu. This time? It's all on shakey ground ... Serena doesn't seem to have a clear cut GOAL yet and could very well be like Iris in that she just ends up being there without a clear way of gauging her progress. I can't really think of something for her to do ... they didn't make something worth Dawn or May's level of focus on the games this time.

Who knows, maybe in X2Y2 they will bring in a new form of contest and suddenly she's all "I KNOW WHAT I WANNA DO!" then.

And like I said, Iris acts her age. Kids love calling out other kids for being childish when they have even just a tiny bit more maturity or knowledge than another kid. Ash is the paint-by-numbers anime dummy that eats fast, has no sexual interest and acts accordingly (Goku). Iris is just like any normal kid that age in RL, she just happens to be a Pokemon prodigy. Not much to think about or get upset over imo, but no one like's having their fav character be called a dumb ass even thought they are I guess.

Boss Doggie

Oh yeah Serena has no clear goal yet, but I give it a few more episodes. At the very least Clemont and Bonnie have more in their character and at least the characters play off with each other well this time around.

Iris... sucks. For a touted dragon master she only has two (three for the pun involving Excadrill's Japanese name), and she barely progressed in her quest. Hell, she's not really even that good of a battler that they had to give her a Dragonite since Axew will not evolve (being a "toy" cute Pokemon). At the very least, Serena might not have a goal yet, but her attitude isn't that grating.

Toxi

Banned
It's amazing comparing the Iris of the games to the Iris of the cartoon and realizing that they're nothing alike beyond appearance.

Like Misty had it bad, but at least she wasn't Champion.

Top Bottom