• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Oh yeah Serena has no clear goal yet, but I give it a few more episodes. At the very least Clemont and Bonnie have more in their character and at least the characters play off with each other well this time around.

Iris... sucks. For a touted dragon master she only has two (three for the pun involving Excadrill's Japanese name), and she barely progressed in her quest. Hell, she's not really even that good of a battler that they had to give her a Dragonite since Axew will not evolve (being a "toy" cute Pokemon). At the very least, Serena might not have a goal yet, but her attitude isn't that grating.

She never calls herself a Dragon master, she says that's her goal ... like Ash's goal is to be a "Pokemon master" which is far more vague and abstract (and he doesn't seem to be making much progress there given how many Pokemon he actually catches and trains or evolves and the fact that there's still whole types of Pokemon he hasn't really trained at all).

She actually has shown a lot of Progress in her goal. For "Dragon Masters" you have to be able to "understand Dragons" and connect with them (That Deino at the day-care place and all those other Dragons from one off characters that needed help), read their hearts (Axew and Dragonite with her magic linking stuff), bring out their power (Axew and his few moments of hex. Dragonite) and train strong dragons (Dragonite again).

Dragonite wasn't just a hand out, it was meant to be a testament to her skills growth as well as another challenge to over come. He only became attached to her because she had gained the skills needed to understand his side of the story and she had the character to stand up for him. He wouldn't obey because not only did he have a troubled past (according to the old lady) but Iris also didn't fully understand him which was her next thing to over come.

She's actually shown a great deal of progress BECAUSE "Dragon Master" was given a set of milestones to hit. "Pokemon Master" means nothing ... but we know what "Dragon Masters" do for the most part.

And she's actually a great battler, they just don't give her much screen time.

Funny that seeing "kids" act like "kids" instead of mini-adults is the thing I liked most about BW yet that annoys so many others. I thought this was the best series in the anime (beside the org) to show the group dynamics of a group of 2 kids with one mature person. Kids don't always agree with each other and haven't everyone suck Ash's butt is boring.

P.S.- Lance only has like 3 dragon types most of the time. So being a Dragon Master doesn't exclude ou from other types or mean you have to carry a war-chest full of Dragon Pokemon.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
"There's a party at Sylveon's house and you're invited!"

NO

Just wait, there'll be ribbons patting your back! And you'll just wake up in front of a bunch of Eeveelutions!

Flareon so moe.
Literally.

Well, you will be shy if you have no moves :>

She never calls herself a Dragon master, she says that's her goal ... like Ash's goal is to be a "Pokemon master" which is far more vague and abstract (and he doesn't seem to be making much progress there given how many Pokemon he actually catches and trains or evolves and the fact that there's still whole types of Pokemon he hasn't really trained at all).

She actually has shown a lot of Progress in her goal. For "Dragon Masters" you have to be able to "understand Dragons" and connect with them (That Deino at the day-care place and all those other Dragons from one off characters that needed help), read their hearts (Axew and Dragonite with her magic linking stuff), bring out their power (Axew and his few moments of hex. Dragonite) and train strong dragons (Dragonite again).

Dragonite wasn't just a hand out, it was meant to be a testament to her skills growth as well as another challenge to over come. He only became attached to her because she had gained the skills needed to understand his side of the story and she had the character to stand up for him. He wouldn't obey because not only did he have a troubled past (according to the old lady) but Iris also didn't fully understand him which was her next thing to over come.

She's actually shown a great deal of progress BECAUSE "Dragon Master" was given a set of milestones to hit. "Pokemon Master" means nothing ... but we know what "Dragon Masters" do for the most part.

And she's actually a great battler, they just don't give her much screen time.

Funny that seeing "kids" act like "kids" instead of mini-adults is the thing I liked most about BW yet that annoys so many others. I thought this was the best series in the anime (beside the org) to show the group dynamics of a group of 2 kids with one mature person. Kids don't always agree with each other and haven't everyone suck Ash's butt is boring.

P.S.- Lance only has like 3 dragon types most of the time. So being a Dragon Master doesn't exclude ou from other types or mean you have to carry a war-chest full of Dragon Pokemon.

I'd argue that being a dragon master is also pretty vague in the anime, though it usually goes to "dragon training". Pokemon master is vague too.

I still consider Dragonite as a hand-out because of Axew not wanting to evolve. The way they write around it is cliche'd and even then it wasn't Iris who tamed it (it was Ash who put it in its place to teach humility and Cynthia of all people).

Well, at least you could convey what you like about BW (which is pretty much what I hated in the series). I personally would prefer less annoying characters since regardless of their personalities, they wouldn't be really written with much more depth so you have to rely mostly on whether they work well with each other or not. I'm just happy that XY so far has been really great, a perfect continuation to Sinnoh while carrying some of the good stuff in BW (like not having TR in all episodes). I mean, if Ash is going to be always on screen, might as well make him less of a noob and more of a coach (which I like, he was like this towards May but doesn't really do much of it, so it's nice to see that he acts like an inspiration towards Clemont).

As for Lance... well, the fandom (and myself) prefer to call him as the Flying master.

iTk6QKI.png

Found this and figured SOMEONE would be amused by it, hopefully.

I'd argue that being a dragon master is also pretty vague in the anime, though it usually goes to "dragon training". Pokemon master is vague too.

I still consider Dragonite as a hand-out because of Axew not wanting to evolve. The way they write around it is cliche'd and even then it wasn't Iris who tamed it (it was Ash who put it in its place to teach humility and Cynthia of all people).

Well, at least you could convey what you like about BW (which is pretty much what I hated in the series). I personally would prefer less annoying characters since regardless of their personalities, they wouldn't be really written with much more depth so you have to rely mostly on whether they work well with each other or not. I'm just happy that XY so far has been really great, a perfect continuation to Sinnoh while carrying some of the good stuff in BW (like not having TR in all episodes). I mean, if Ash is going to be always on screen, might as well make him less of a noob and more of a coach (which I like, he was like this towards May but doesn't really do much of it, so it's nice to see that he acts like an inspiration towards Clemont).

As for Lance... well, the fandom (and myself) prefer to call him as the Flying master.

Dragon Master is pretty well defined. Hell, they even started making the "Dragon heart connecting magic" a on-screen effect. At this point it's more like being a "Aura Master" than anything like a Pokemon Master. We haven't even seen someone with that title nor is it ever suggested one has to do gym battles to be one .... kinda funny hearing it tossed around so much without ANYONE talking about what you have to do to be one.

Plus, Axew wants to evolve .... he dreams of it. He's just too much of a baby to battle the amount he has to to evolve.

And no, Iris "tamed" Dragonite ... he only started obeying her in that TR special after she did the anime "I CARE ABOUT YOU!!" stance trope.

I have a theory that people only really like Serena because she has a crush on Ash. Only way I can explain how the one girl who doesn't want to suck Ash's asshole is also paned for being "annoying" when she's actually a lot like Misty ... without the layer of slightly romantic tension.

I was screwing around with Paint.NET and came up with this:

i7R8Px7uAUL3V.png

Not too shabby after some over sharpness and saturation.

I'm trying to make it look like Sugimori's old watercolor style, I did it with another program long ago in a sense.

Edit: Here, 100% sharpness applied 5 times with Yveltal:

iOo0rvoFJU4fh.png

Boss Doggie

dat Umbreon and Sylveon snuggle

138639575226550u2f.gif

Dragon Master is pretty well defined. Hell, they even started making the "Dragon heart connecting magic" a on-screen effect. At this point it's more like being a "Aura Master" than anything like a Pokemon Master. We haven't even seen someone with that title nor is it ever suggested one has to do gym battles to be one .... kinda funny hearing it tossed around so much without ANYONE talking about what you have to do to be one.

Plus, Axew wants to evolve .... he dreams of it. He's just too much of a baby to battle the amount he has to to evolve.

And no, Iris "tamed" Dragonite ... he only started obeying her in that TR special after she did the anime "I CARE ABOUT YOU!!" stance trope.

I have a theory that people only really like Serena because she has a crush on Ash. Only way I can explain how the one girl who doesn't want to suck Ash's asshole is also paned for being "annoying" when she's actually a lot like Misty ... without the layer of slightly romantic tension.

Clair is pretty much a dragon master in the anime too (yes, even before BW). Like I said, it's like Pokemon Master where it's too vague.

Axew wants to evolve, but they don't do it due to the cuteness value.

And Dragonite obeying felt weak. Like it was resolved too quickly, and felt like it losing to Ash was the only thing that gave it a change of heart.

And no, people like Serena over Iris because she wasn't annoying, plain and simple.

Flare Blitz destroys everything!

That it does, including Flareon!

I was screwing around with Paint.NET and came up with this:

i7R8Px7uAUL3V.png

Not too shabby after some over sharpness and saturation.

I'm trying to make it look like Sugimori's old watercolor style, I did it with another program long ago in a sense.

Edit: Here, 100% sharpness applied 5 times with Yveltal:

iOo0rvoFJU4fh.png
Xbox One?

Maybe it's just audio compression (or listening to them all at once), but the cries feel really samey for the most part. It just seems like high-pitched squeals with deeper groans mixed in for the final stages.

Boss Doggie

aAuzTp1.gif

1386385192198avdrv.gif

1386395238728wpjl0.gif

1386461078774wdjgg.gif

Maybe it's just audio compression (or listening to them all at once), but the cries feel really samey for the most part. It just seems like high-pitched squeals with deeper groans mixed in for the final stages.

It's the compression. Also these are recorded rather than being the audio files. They sound very clear and distinct in the game.

Anyway bipedal pokemon always get privileges

6c8.gif

Also in the next episode of Pokemon

xKl8hbb.jpg

Clair is pretty much a dragon master in the anime too (yes, even before BW). Like I said, it's like Pokemon Master where it's too vague.

And no, people like Serena over Iris because she wasn't annoying, plain and simple.

We have actually seen more than one "Dragon Master" and they all have things in common (being able to deeply connect to dragons) We have never seen a Pokemon Master and not one person has pointed out even one detail in how you become one.

And Serena hasn't done anything to make people like or dislike her. Really ... her crush on Ash is all there is to her character right now which I feel is what's attracting people. Beside, I was more so comparing Iris to Misty in that they both have tons of conflicts with the other 2 males in the group (and both mother a baby Pokemon) and can both be seen as "annoying kids" ... but until Serena Misty was the one female with the most "romance" bs with Ash.

Which really fits in with the Anime's manifesto according to the anime makers (the reason they keep changing the girls is because they're supposed to be "eye candy" for the male viewers. Stands to reason that male fans who stick with this loser's journey as his "fans" would prefer eye candy that praises him over Iris, who is just a friend whose battle skills, history and potential goes beyond his).

Boss Doggie

Pokemon Master has always been vague.

Seems like you like Iris because she "puts down" Ash (which is acceptable, since BW Ash is terrible), but people will pretty much loathe her should she be doing that on Ash of other incarnations. And while Ash has no fans, people clearly would prefer an Ash that doesn't suck and acts more as a skilled trainer than the shithead BW got.

But like I said, regardless of whether Serena did something, the very fact that she isn't a hypocrite who is very annoying makes her feasible to the eyes.

Hell, I can pretty much read your whole paragraph now in its whole intent. An Iris fan who likes BW, for example. Now that's okay... but yeah, you're focusing on Ash in his terrible form, and on a season that is by all accounts, terrible.

Appealing to every fanbase I see.

Apparently the fanbase has been calling him Sexymore

It's super lame that Miiverse doesn't let you take screenshots of Pokemon X and Y. I hope they update it to let you.

EDIT:
I need practice drawing on a touch screen...
zlCfzROOcUsCmxWFAA

Firestorm

I think I used Pokemon Amie exactly once and that's because I thought maybe my pancham needed to like me more to evolve. Then I found out why he wasn't evolving and stopped.

Boss Doggie

You're gonna end up using Amie eventually for a complete dex since that's the only way to evolve a Sylveon.

Boss Doggie

But affection!

Also iirc amie slightly raises happiness, since some people evolve Eevee into Umbreon/Espeon after leveling up from an amie (they forgot to put fairy type move).

I think I used Pokemon Amie exactly once and that's because I thought maybe my pancham needed to like me more to evolve. Then I found out why he wasn't evolving and stopped.

I used it on everyone on my team in-game cause you know bonus exp, self cure statuses, criticals and looking back at me was so worth it.

lupinko

Eh, shiny legendaries usually look lame anyways.

Shiny Jirachi is pretty cool tho and Shiny Mewtwo as Shiny Mega Mewtwo X totally gives you that Perfect Cell look.

Should I even bother trying to catch a Shiny Snorlax in LeafGreen? I'm playing through LeafGreen right now (and poaching Bidoofs and Starlys for Hayley to obtain her Mew in Pearl, both at the same time here at work while also typing on GAF lol). I know I could probably just get an easier Shiny Snorlax in X but the urge to hunt for these Shiny Pokes is too strong. :x

I know there are two Shiny Snorlaxes in LG/FR and I'm just wasting my time, but I'm here at work so I guess it doesn't matter since I'm just killing time.

Regiruler

I just learned they're releasing the pokemon super music collection... on itunes.

It's a start, but amazon music come on. At least the price is reasonable and I can always have one of my family members buy it from their iTunes and just send it to me.

Top Bottom