• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Firestorm

Does anyone have information or website I can go to understand how qualifying for Pokemon tournaments works and everything? I can't find anything for understanding regionals or what gets people into World Tournaments. Does the Global Link have anything to do with it either?

I'm sure Serebii has some kind of information on it somewhere but that god awful website is just impossible to navigate.
http://nuggetbridge.com/about-vgc/
http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/championship-series/video/

I'm also a good person to ask.

Firestorm

Yep, I've been competing since 2010. I should be at the Oregon Regional, Washington Regional, US Nationals, and World Championships. There are three age divisions. If you're 15 or older you should be in the oldest age division (Masters).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Happy holidays as well.

If Pokeverse celebrates Christmas, I guess it's due to Arceus birthing the world or some shit.

GAMERG0D

EYckKz4.gif

Yep, I've been competing since 2010. I should be at the Oregon Regional, Washington Regional, US Nationals, and World Championships. There are three age divisions. If you're 15 or older you should be in the oldest age division (Masters).

That's awesome. I really want to go to Oregon this year and compete but I'm new to all of it. I understand mechanics (IV's, EV's, natures, whatever) and everything and have been playing since Gen 1 but have never actually seriously built a team and stuck with it. How difficult are the regionals?

Firestorm

That's awesome. I really want to go to Oregon this year and compete but I'm new to all of it. I understand mechanics (IV's, EV's, natures, whatever) and everything and have been playing since Gen 1 but have never actually seriously built a team and stuck with it. How difficult are the regionals?
They're done using the Swiss format so that means each round you'll be paired off against someone with a similar record. If you lose round one, in round two you'll be paired up with another person who lost round one. So you're guaranteed probably 6 games and the last few will likely be against people of a similar skill level.

You can do some reading up on teams (mostly gen 5 ones) on Nugget Bridge and then take your team online to practice on Battle Spot. The "Special" ruleset they're using this season follows the same rules as the competition and was set up for us to practice on!

They're done using the Swiss format so that means each round you'll be paired off against someone with a similar record. If you lose round one, in round two you'll be paired up with another person who lost round one. So you're guaranteed probably 6 games and the last few will likely be against people of a similar skill level.

You can do some reading up on teams (mostly gen 5 ones) on Nugget Bridge and then take your team online to practice on Battle Spot. The "Special" ruleset they're using this season follows the same rules as the competition and was set up for us to practice on!

Yeah I saw that on the new season. When you say similar record what do you mean? What would they base my record on? The Global Link/? Right now I have taken zero battles online.

Firestorm

Yeah I saw that on the new season. When you say similar record what do you mean? What would they base my record on? The Global Link/? Right now I have taken zero battles online.
Round 1 is random. Round 2 all the 1-0 players get paired up and all the 0-1 players get paired up with each other. Round 3, it's 2-0s vs 2-0s, 1-1s vs 1-1s, and 0-2 vs 0-2, and so on. At the end of the rounds, the Top 8 players move on to a single elimination bracket.

Basically you're guaranteed 6 matches and a few that will be with someone on equal skill level so just build a team, go out there, play some matches, and have fun!

You know, there's something about screenshots from the Pokémon anime that makes me like them a lot. I wonder what it is.

Something bubbly and cute about them, perhaps? Or the colours? Or the small things that count?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
People are joking about an alternate version with Ash and Clemont lol

tbqh Ash is reciprocating Clemont's "science" than Serena.

PS_GUY

Those artworks are amazing.

Anyway, Serebii has access to Pokemon Bank and it doesn't look like there are any other Pokemon from the past gens that got retconned to Fairy type...

No additional Fairy retcons makes sense - considering how few Pokemon are Fairy in the first place, I doubt they'd want to keep people waiting to see all of the new (old) ones.

JoeM86

Does anyone have information or website I can go to understand how qualifying for Pokemon tournaments works and everything? I can't find anything for understanding regionals or what gets people into World Tournaments. Does the Global Link have anything to do with it either?

I'm sure Serebii has some kind of information on it somewhere but that god awful website is just impossible to navigate.

Oi :(

I actually don't have a VGC section yet :p
lol, I have no idea either. The artstyle looks more darker, but that's it.

lol

Whimsicott is forgotten as always.

Would have noted it if I didn't post about it being Fairy-type on October 11th :p

Oi :(

I actually don't have a VGC section yet :p

Would have noted it if I didn't post about it being Fairy-type on October 11th :p

I'm sorry, I hate to sound like an asshole but considering the content you guys provide it is mind blowing to me at the lack of actual design and quality of the website. Archaic format, zero mobile support, broken links in older pages, terrible proof reading. I mean how long has VGC being going on? How is there not a page for it? Why are Pokemon of the Weeks once a week? The last two generations haven't even touched each Pokemon because it takes too long. There's almost zero competitive analysis. Why when I Google certain Pokemon do I get taken to older Pokedex pages that have no link within them to their gen VI page (I think only V does)? The sloppiness and non existent professionalism absolutely kills the OCD inside of me.

I'm sorry for the rant. Still go to your website all the time and definitely appreciate all the work.

JoeM86

I'm sorry, I hate to sound like an asshole but considering the content you guys provide it is mind blowing to me at the lack of actual design and quality of the website. Archaic format, zero mobile support, broken links in older pages, terrible proof reading. I mean how long has VGC being going on? How is there not a page for it? Why are Pokemon of the Weeks once a week? The last two generations haven't even touched each Pokemon because it takes too long. There's almost zero competitive analysis. Why when I Google certain Pokemon do I get taken to older Pokedex pages that have no link within them to their gen VI page (I think only V does)? The sloppiness and non existent professionalism absolutely kills the OCD inside of me.

I'm sorry for the rant. Still go to your website all the time and definitely appreciate all the work.

Well the site is going through a regeneration next year. New, at least updated, layout.

I really on focused on the in-game details before too recently, but I've got the framework for a massively in-depth VGC section in the works as well. As for Pokémon of the Week, it's to spotlight things. The Competitive forum mods and I are throwing ideas around to make it so it's more a spotlight of articles already written, but we'll see how it goes.

The older gen pages should have a link to the newer Pokédexes though. Not sure why they wouldn't have compiled. I will check on it.

Older sections are crap, yes, but they're being redone as seen with our Gen 1 & Gen 2 main series sections. Ruby & Sapphire and a couple more Gen II spin-offs are in the works, too, but new stuff such as X & Y and Bank have taken priority. Proofreading is an issue, sure, but I do check over pages before I go live and only minor typographical errors occur, for the most part.

I am but one man, afterall.

Well the site is going through a regeneration next year. New, at least updated, layout.

I really on focused on the in-game details before too recently, but I've got the framework for a massively in-depth VGC section in the works as well. As for Pokémon of the Week, it's to spotlight things. The Competitive forum mods and I are throwing ideas around to make it so it's more a spotlight of articles already written, but we'll see how it goes.

The older gen pages should have a link to the newer Pokédexes though. Not sure why they wouldn't have compiled. I will check on it.

Older sections are crap, yes, but they're being redone as seen with our Gen 1 & Gen 2 main series sections. Ruby & Sapphire and a couple more Gen II spin-offs are in the works, too, but new stuff such as X & Y and Bank have taken priority. Proofreading is an issue, sure, but I do check over pages before I go live and only minor typographical errors occur, for the most part.

I am but one man, afterall.

Bug I noticed during childhood that ruined my life in Gen 3: your RSE dex says Pichu can learn Metronome via FRLG move tutor. It can't.

Toxi

Banned
Amaura and Aurorus are so cute.

Like I know they're terrible because Ice and Rock, but I love Amargasaurus so much that I'm going to train one for online.

Maybe Gamefreak will actually give them Power Gem next generation...

Caladrius

Like I know they're terrible because Ice and Rock, but I love Amargasaurus so much that I'm going to train one for online.

It was nice of them to make Aurorus too fast for a reliable trick room set. The poor critters are cursed.

What about trying inverse battles? Its only weaknesses are Normal, Flying, Poison and Ice (so it's essentially a Grass-type), none of which are 2x. It also resists Fighting, Ground, Rock, Water, Steel, and Grass. That's a third of the entire typing table.

Is it just me or does this have a very obvious answer?

He's not asking what you think he's asking. I think his point was that sticking to a single analysis entry per week might be easier on the site developers, but it also severely hinders Serebii's competitive database when significant changes roll out, for example the introduction of a new generation. By contrast, Smogon has been hard at work developing analyses by whoever's free and has half a mind for competitive utility, and as a result they should have XY articles out by early 2014 for the entire OU metagame. Serebii will still be stuck in the dust with anywhere from 15-25 analyses on slap-dash entries as testing for competitive viability would be difficult in a "one-way street" format in contrast to Smogon relying on Showdown and in-game functionality to develop on emergent strategies.

He's not asking what you think he's asking. I think his point was that sticking to a single analysis entry per week might be easier on the site developers, but it also severely hinders Serebii's competitive database when significant changes roll out, for example the introduction of a new generation. By contrast, Smogon has been hard at work developing analyses by whoever's free and has half a mind for competitive utility, and as a result they should have XY articles out by early 2014 for the entire OU metagame. Serebii will still be stuck in the dust with anywhere from 15-25 analyses on slap-dash entries as testing for competitive viability would be difficult in a "one-way street" format in contrast to Smogon relying on Showdown and in-game functionality to develop on emergent strategies.

Exactly. Literally for both Generation IV and Generation V, Serebii wasn't even able to deliver full analysis on every major Pokemon because the next generation was rolling around by the time they had made any significant impact on the list of Pokemon. The extremely slow process of competitive analysis for Serebii is basically the reason absolutely no one goes for there for information on it.

JoeM86

Makes me wonder why I'm perfectly OK with data and layout on Serebii. Maybe it's because I don't really care much about the small things...

The layout is just a bit outdated, because I made that layout in 2004. Just needs a new lick of paint, increase the font size a little, some padding and new graphics.

Just wish the Google search was better. Unfortunately, due to the vast amount of hits the site gets, all pages have to be static so I can't code my own search...that said, I have one idea

Caladrius

Why does the eShop say I have to go to a retailer to download Pokemon Bank? Are they seriously not letting me download this free off the eShop? I thought they said they were?

It's been delayed. The Japanese release crippled the already-strained Nintendo servers.

Top Bottom