• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Well, allow me to say this. The advance screenings for the upcoming movie Extremespeed Genesect: Mewtwo Awakens are this weekend in Japan. Surely if there's any news all of a sudden, it'd be about Mewtwo.

Disclaimer: The above is speculation, not me hinting from inside knowledge

Alright, I see that we are getting Mewtwo SSB4 trailer then!

Yeah, I'm joking and I don't expect anything at the moment.

Kokonoe

Banned
Alright, I see that we are getting Mewtwo SSB4 trailer then!

u8NQH1h.gif

Kokonoe

Banned
http://24.media.tumblr.com/4a4fbdfee1a282cdbdcef354d55dcd6f/tumblr_modym8X2lE1soflfao1_500.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

I find it kind of odd that he has an ice cream cone on his shirt with the character's size, not really sure what they're trying to portray with this character other than the obvious.

[quote="qq more, post: 67031196"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16312377/POKEMON/brendanGSC.png
Brendan in GSC style

I was bored so I made this. More coming soon!

Good job, we need more GSC sprites.

Scrafty, Aggro, and whoever else was planned to join, I think I have a good topic for the first episode of the podcast. We could do something about cheating/hacking in the competitive landscape over the generations.

Alchemy

So I'm working on a VGV '13 team. Not for any real competition, just to have fun. Been working on this team on Pokemon Showdown, thinking of actually trying to build it in game but I'm not sure I'm sold on it completely. Its been winning rather consistently, but I'm not sure what the quality of opponents is on Showdown for the VGC format.

Politoed @ Lum Berry
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Encore
- Protect

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Taunt
- Hi Jump Kick
- U-turn

Gorebuy (Gorebyss) @ White Herb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Baton Pass
- Shell Smash

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot
- Nasty Plot

Amoonguss @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog

Togekiss @ Fire Gem
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Heat Wave
- Air Slash
- Heal Bell
- Follow Me

Normally I go with Mienshao + Gorebyss to start, with Politoed and Thundurus-T in the back. Fake Out or Taunt the biggest threat with M and Shell Smash with G. Then I usually hard switch in Politoed for Mienshao to activate Swift Swim and boost Surf's damage (Politoed usually takes about 50% damage from the Surf on the switch), and attempt to sweep with Gorebyss. If Gorebyss is getting walled I Baton Pass to Thundurus-T, so I'm thinking of possibly dropping Nasty Plot but his attack coverage seems limited. Nasty Plot has come in use a few times.

Amoonguss has been a pretty solid Spore abuser and wall, Rage Powder comes in handy but I seem to never use Clear Smog. Togekiss is kinda weird, but he fills a role for killing Ferrothorns and Abomasnows with Heat Wave, the Fire Gem might be total overkill but I'm not sure what item to stick on him. Togekiss also comes in real handy with Follow Me. Heal Bell sounds nice on paper but I'm rarely dealing with status in doubles, but I'm sticking with it as insurance. Togekiss also makes a decent receiver of Shell Smash from Gorebyss. These two are mostly if I see something offending and need the flexibility.

I tried swapping out Gorebyss for Omastar, but none of the stat differences really do much for me and the loss of Baton Pass is rather huge. Gore can usually take one hit, allowing him to BP the stat boosts and continue the sweep attempt. Omastar is just locked in, either murdering everything or dying.

I really like Thundurus-T and Amoonguss, but I'm feeling like they're the weakest part of the team and I can squeeze out a small advantage in other Pokemon for this team, but I can't quite figure out what to do with them. Zapdos is possibly an option to cover both Thundurus-T and Togekiss's roles, but I feel like he doesn't hit hard enough out of the gate.

Thoughts?

Stage On

If Mewtwo is in Smash bros 4 do you think his awakening form thing will be activated by his final smash or will he use a different method to transform?

Whoever this rootinabox person is, I don't want to meet him or her. I've already had to change my passwords for 5 of them, and it seems like that even smaller sites are NOT spared. All Pokémon-related, of course.

Stay safe, people.

Frost_Ace

So I'm working on a VGV '13 team. Not for any real competition, just to have fun. Been working on this team on Pokemon Showdown, thinking of actually trying to build it in game but I'm not sure I'm sold on it completely. Its been winning rather consistently, but I'm not sure what the quality of opponents is on Showdown for the VGC format.

Normally I go with Mienshao + Gorebyss to start, with Politoed and Thundurus-T in the back. Fake Out or Taunt the biggest threat with M and Shell Smash with G. Then I usually hard switch in Politoed for Mienshao to activate Swift Swim and boost Surf's damage (Politoed usually takes about 50% damage from the Surf on the switch), and attempt to sweep with Gorebyss. If Gorebyss is getting walled I Baton Pass to Thundurus-T, so I'm thinking of possibly dropping Nasty Plot but his attack coverage seems limited. Nasty Plot has come in use a few times.

Amoonguss has been a pretty solid Spore abuser and wall, Rage Powder comes in handy but I seem to never use Clear Smog. Togekiss is kinda weird, but he fills a role for killing Ferrothorns and Abomasnows with Heat Wave, the Fire Gem might be total overkill but I'm not sure what item to stick on him. Togekiss also comes in real handy with Follow Me. Heal Bell sounds nice on paper but I'm rarely dealing with status in doubles, but I'm sticking with it as insurance. Togekiss also makes a decent receiver of Shell Smash from Gorebyss. These two are mostly if I see something offending and need the flexibility.

I tried swapping out Gorebyss for Omastar, but none of the stat differences really do much for me and the loss of Baton Pass is rather huge. Gore can usually take one hit, allowing him to BP the stat boosts and continue the sweep attempt. Omastar is just locked in, either murdering everything or dying.

I really like Thundurus-T and Amoonguss, but I'm feeling like they're the weakest part of the team and I can squeeze out a small advantage in other Pokemon for this team, but I can't quite figure out what to do with them. Zapdos is possibly an option to cover both Thundurus-T and Togekiss's roles, but I feel like he doesn't hit hard enough out of the gate.

Thoughts?

Maybe switch life orb to zapdos and give a gem to mienshao? Also, I don't think U-turn is that useful in doubles, maybe teach him acrobat/rock slide/stone edge for coverage?

Firestorm

Thoughts?
Shell Smash is probably hurting you more than anything. The drawbacks to that move are far too high for the payoff. Remember that Trick Room is incredibly common as a form of speed control.

I'm not the best player but I recommend posting the team here to get some feedback from decent / good players who still play.

As far as Showdown goes, if you're playing on the main Smogon server, you're basically playing on Easy. If you want to put your team through its paces, try the Nugget Bridge server. There's no shame in going on the Smogon server to get your confidence up though! I've done it when I've gone on a bit of a losing streak DON'T JUDGE ME ;_;

Macka

Do the translators even read the Pokedex entries? Look at Gardevoir's entries:

RUBY "Gardevoir has the ability to read the future. If it senses impending danger to its Trainer, this Pokémon is said to unleash its psychokinetic energy at full power."

SAPPHIRE "Gardevoir has the psychokinetic power to distort the dimensions and create a small black hole. This Pokémon will try to protect its Trainer even at the risk of its own life."

PLATINUM/BLACK/WHITE/B2/BW2 "To protect its Trainer, it will expend all its psychic power to create a small black hole."

They must just take parts of all the entries from previous games, mix them up and expect it to work. Gardevoir protects its Trainr by making a black hole? Really?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Is it me or is the announcer kind of annoying

It's the classic announcer though!

They must just take parts of all the entries from previous games, mix them up and expect it to work. Gardevoir protects its Trainr by making a black hole? Really?

Clearly it creates a black hole as a barrier! Do you even black hole?!

It's fun, roll with it.

There should totally be a fairy type move called "Black Hole". I'd love to destroy dragons with a black hole.

Scrafty, Aggro, and whoever else was planned to join, I think I have a good topic for the first episode of the podcast. We could do something about cheating/hacking in the competitive landscape over the generations.

I like it. Should we make this a bi-weekly podcast, or a "whenever we feel like it" podcast?

Top Bottom