• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So uh, would it be controversial if I make a thread titled "Real Talk: Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver was a flawed remake"

Bootleg Pokémon Games - JonTron

uhln2AU.jpg

I would play Moemon, haha.

AfQXnCz.jpg

This is the part where we make qq moe jokes.

HGSS were pretty darn good. Probably my second-favourite entries in the series after BW.

The JonTron video was hilarious, too. I have like, half the episode saved as .GIFs :3

So uh, would it be controversial if I make a thread titled "Real Talk: Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver was a flawed remake"

Someone made a thread like that about GSC a year ago and it backfired horribly.

HGSS wasn't a bad remake but as someone pointed out before GF failed to fix the biggest problems GSC had.

Thankfully Drayano60 did a few years later.

Wiseblade

GAF isn't ready to hear the truth.

I actually think HGSS did the best they could with the source material. Anything more would have required editing the geography of the world or generally altering things noticeably from the originals, which opens a whole new can of worms.

qq more

seriously wiseblade that OP was full of elitism and the worst kind "IM RIGHT YOU'RE WRONG" attitude

you frankly deserved that backfire

qq more

Go ahead, tell me how you really feel.

To clear things up, I don't have a problem with you disliking the game. You're free to express your thoughts on it too. To put it a bit nicely, I wasn't just a fan of how it was treated as if it's fact or something. People are free to like GSC the most just like every other game.

I apologizing for being suddenly a bit defensive over it though, I mean it's been a year ago.

On a lighter subject: Holy shit that Twitch Plays Pokemon channel has 80k viewers now? It was 50k earlier today! Wow lol

I'm waiting on Boss Doggie to explain himself, because it seems like he's doing some sort of "gotta wait for the thread so nobody scoops me huehuehue" thing.

Boss Doggie

Sorry I just woke up. I'm on the other side of the world ya know.

You still haven't explained what the flaws of HG/SS are.

Well it didn't fix GCS's problems (gym leader's mons being poor choices (Morty's mons for example), Pokemon distribution being terrible (why is Houndour and Misdreavous in Mt. Silver?), pokemon level spread being terrible (especially in Kanto area))

With that said it's a better remake than FRLG.

DaBoss

I think those are all valid criticisms, but the thread title you're going with seems like flamebait.

How about 'Pokemon HG/SS didn't improve on some flaws in the original games'?

Those are some valid points to kick off a debate.

Unfortunately, as your proposed title makes absolutely clear, you have no interest in having a debate, just in poking the beehive.

Wiseblade

I think those are all valid criticisms, but the thread title you're going with seems like flamebait.

How about 'Pokemon HG/SS didn't improve on some flaws in the original games'?
He's following in the footsteps of those who fell in battle before him. Sometimes you've got to start all guns blazing, holding a negative opinion of the most internet-popular Pokémon games is one of them.

zroid

Banned
I played this cool game one time a bunch of years ago. Pokémon Blue.

A few years later I played another cool game. Even cooler, in fact. Pokémon Gold.

Some more years after that I played another cool game. Pokémon Sapphire.

Later still there was this other cool game I played called Pokémon Pearl.

That's a lot of cool games, but I played another one, believe it or not, a few years later! Pokémon SoulSilver.

It's hard to believe, but there was this other cool game which came out a bit later, and yep, I played it. Pokémon Black.

Yeah you guessed it, I played another cool game some years later. Pokémon Black 2.

And then just a few months ago I played YET ANOTHER COOL GAME! Crazy, right? Pokémon X. And I'm still playing it, too.

spiritfox

Sorry I just woke up. I'm on the other side of the world ya know.

Well it didn't fix GCS's problems (gym leader's mons being poor choices (Morty's mons for example), Pokemon distribution being terrible (why is Houndour and Misdreavous in Mt. Silver?), pokemon level spread being terrible (especially in Kanto area))

With that said it's a better remake than FRLG.

I agree with all these points, but yeah, it's more a problem with the original game than the remake. Make a thread about how GSC sucks.
So that I can see the world burn.

Boss Doggie

Not that I want to make a thread now due to how I recall Wiseblade's old thread, but yeah, I'm just kinda disappointed that a remake didn't fix GSC's problems.

With that said, it's a much better remake than that of FRLG. They at least updated the pokedex to ensure that mons in GSC that have new evolutions are updated, and they didn't lock out a lot of stuff (like day/night (granted GSC has it, but hey) and berry planting).

As much as I love what Gen VI did with the numbers game, Gen V has a special place in my heart due to one thing.

SANIC SPEED BATTLE AND INTERFACE

Makes me wonder if Pokemon Z/XZ/YZ will fix itself.

-Horizon-

I actually didn't like B/W/2 much. Music and some of the character designs were great though. But 5th gen turned out to be the one I spent the least time playing (only 20 something hours each for Black and Black 2 I think).

I like all of the games about equally, though platinum is probably my favorite.

I may or may not be a biased source.

Same here, they are all about equal in my book.

Yellow is still my favorite after all these years just because Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle all on one file without trading. Though I really loved GSC when they came out because of the cool things like the day/night cycle and revisiting Kanto. Ahh to memory lane is fun to stroll down.

harmonize

Every pair is cool in its own unique ways though, and even the old, buggy ones are still good for a trip down memory lane or a hilarious stunt like the Twitch playthrough.
Or you know, for legitimate runs because they're still critically-acclaimed and amazing games that hold up incredibly well, especially considering that they were crafted for hardware that saw its release in the eighties, and set the standard for the vast majority of lasting gameplay mechanics that exist almost unaltered in even the most recent releases.

Or you know, for legitimate runs because they're still critically-acclaimed and amazing games that hold up incredibly well, especially considering that they were crafted for hardware that saw its release in the eighties, and set the standard for the vast majority of lasting gameplay mechanics that exist almost unaltered in even the most recent releases.

I'd dispute the "hold up incredibly well" part. I grew up with them and believe that they were masterpieces of their era, but RBY are just too antiquated and archaic for me and many others to go back to nowadays.

The rest of the points are true, but have nothing to do with the games' playability.

Top Bottom