• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Macka

Gen V is my least favourite, but that has more to with the Pokemon designs than anything else. Barely anything appealed to me in that game.

harmonize

I'd dispute the "hold up incredibly well" part. I grew up with them and believe that they were masterpieces of their era, but RBY are just too antiquated and archaic for me and many others to go back to nowadays.

The rest of the points are true, but have nothing to do with the games' playability.
They're practically modern compared to many of the other 8-bit games on both the original Gameboy and the NES; other than maybe side-scrolling Marios, I'm honestly having trouble thinking of another franchise from that era that still plays as consistently similar today as it did during its inception.

I'm sure that they're people who, for some reason or another, find the scant mechanical improvements between Red/Blue and X/Y to be insurmountable to return to, but there are also many, many other people who find the original games so fresh and enjoyable to play, that they for their own reasons refuse to move on to later iterations, and required that the fanbase coin a term to describe them. Not to mention the sane voices from the less-than-invested casual audience and critics that identify that these games are so damn monolithic that they might as well be remakes and demakes of each other.

And for the record, since we're on the topic, HGSS are indeed Gamefreak's pinnacle achievement and their greatest gift to mankind.

Man, the improvements made from the span of RBY to XY are far from "scant." RBY just plain didn't work in many ways, and although is was easy to overlook that sort of thing in the 90s, I don't see any reason to play mechanically inferior entries in a series in which you claim every entry is basically the exact same.

Also anyone calling Gen I "fresh" in this day and age needs to have their eyes and ears checked. I don't want this to devolve into a stupid gen wars thing because I truly do believe that there hasn't been a single bad mainline Pokémon game to date, but some of the claims you're making are a touch ludicrous.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Now this is a personal thing - I don't like Gen V Elite 4 (save for Marshall). Maybe because Shauntal, Grimsley and Caitlin felt too... similar? Like they are all goth-like.

harmonize

Man, the improvements made from the span of RBY to XY are far from "scant." RBY just plain didn't work in many ways, and although is was easy to overlook that sort of thing in the 90s, I don't see any reason to play mechanically inferior entries in a series in which you claim every entry is basically the exact same.

Also anyone calling Gen I "fresh" in this day and age needs to have their eyes and ears checked. I don't want this to devolve into a stupid gen wars thing because I truly do believe that there hasn't been a single bad mainline Pokémon game to date, but some of the claims you're making are a touch ludicrous.
In comparison to the myriad of facets that have stay either completely the same (three out of the five stats, to give an example), or have improved slightly (not blacking out when you deposit your only non-fainted Pokemon in the PC, which over 70000 people and a thread dedicated to the Twitchplay didn't note beforehand), there's not a more apt descriptor to use. It wasn't easy to overlook these things twenty years ago as, outside of obvious graphical improvements and online connectivity, most people overlook them now because they are not at all applicable to how the vast majority of them play the games, who as a group would most likely look at the EVs/IVs and competitive metagame that these mechanical changes have affected the greatest with the same bewildered amusement that you apparently do with what's happening on Twitch. Not to say that this method of playing is wrong, only that the issues you run into during it do not always carry over into the rest of the game in a significant way.

I can sympathize with how these changes might have affected the metagame, but for how the overwhelmingly majority of people play and how the entire narrative of the story lays out in the game, they simply changed it at nearly an unnoticeable degree.

Boss Doggie

I'm laughing at how people assume the competitive scene is "small" compared to the casual scene.

Yes casual scene is bigger but to say that the competitive scene is merely 10% is laughable.

I actually think I may like Black and White the most. The sprites reached their peak by being fully animated, which added a lot of charm. I also think that the Gym Leader + Evil Team story formula reached its peak by having the two actually be tied together. I wish X and Y went with a more back to basics story approach, because Team Flare and AZ were rather silly.

harmonize

I'm laughing at how people assume the competitive scene is "small" compared to the casual scene.

Yes casual scene is bigger but to say that the competitive scene is merely 10% is laughable.
What would you peg it at? XY have already sold millions of copies and will certainly sell much more in time; the only metric I can think of offhand are actual competitions attendance and sites dedicated to that method of play (Smogon, Showdown), which anecdotal, but I've never seen near the amount necessary to claim it anywhere close to even ten percent. I mean, this is a series that is almost completely targeted and majority played by kids, and I don't think more than a small percentage of adults are playing it for the metagame.

spiritfox

I actually think I may like Black and White the most. The sprites reached their peak by being fully animated, which added a lot of charm. I also think that the Gym Leader + Evil Team story formula reached its peak by having the two actually be tied together. I wish X and Y went with a more back to basics story approach, because Team Flare and AZ were rather silly.

I rather they actually went somewhere with the story instead of just giving up halfway through. B/W was still the pinnacle in Pokemon storylines, which was because there was actually a good payoff to the Team Plasma story.

lrnVFcF.jpg

Wiseblade

You guys said some crazy stuff while I was asleep. RBY were great games, but they most definitely do not hold up today. They don't work as intended, and that's a fact. Nostalgia is pretty much the only reason to prefer them to the mechanically superior FR/LG.

Wiseblade's totally factual, indisputable, not-imflammatory Pokémon game tier list

Top tier
Emerald
Generation V

High tier
Heart Gold/Soul Silver
Platinum
X/Y (With Bank)

Mid tier
X/Y (Without Bank)
FireRed/LeafGreen

Low Tier
Generation I (ignoring the many, many glitches)
Ruby/Sapphire
Diamond/Pearl
Battle Revolution
Generation I
Snap
Stadium/2/Colosseum/XD

"Bet you can't guess what's here" tier
Ranger (Dont lie, you only played it for Manaphy)
Trozei
Dash
Generation II

Boss Doggie

I'm surprised the flareon suit was just posted in community

What would you peg it at? XY have already sold millions of copies and will certainly sell much more in time; the only metric I can think of offhand are actual competitions attendance and sites dedicated to that method of play (Smogon, Showdown), which anecdotal, but I've never seen near the amount necessary to claim it anywhere close to even ten percent. I mean, this is a series that is almost completely targeted and majority played by kids, and I don't think more than a small percentage of adults are playing it for the metagame.

I'd put it under 40% since even kids participate in tournaments (or at least from what I heard)

qq more

As someone who recently replayed Blue Version, I still find it a great game personally. I don't really care for the deeper mechanics of the games nor the competitive aspects, so I guess that helped. There were few things that bugged me in the game, but it certainly did not take away any enjoyment I had with the game. I feel it holds up very well. So, I'm pretty much in agreement with Kopyii. With that said, I also really enjoyed the FRLG remake and it introduced VS Seeker (RIP) which was one of my favorite features in the series.

O_____________O

Considering Pokemon games tends to sell about 15 million or more... I don't see how this isn't plausible.

EDIT: Just noticed your other post. Do we actually have statistics about this? 40% seems kind of high tbh

Wiseblade

Honestly, It's hard to take anything in that post seriously when you present it as fact. So I just boiled it down your post to what I think it really is.

Though I do like that you post Generation 1 twice, nice touch. I found it pretty funny.
You're taking the list more seriously than I did.

R/B/Y is pretty antiquated and flat out busted in quite a few aspects, but it isn't the completely unplayable mess some people make it out to be. Would I recommend it to someone over FR/LG? Probably not. (And I say this as someone that thinks FR/LG aren't too great remakes) But I wouldn't find it totally unfathomable for someone to still enjoy Gen I today without nostalgia involved.

Switching gears though, I recently gave Gen V a second chance after trying Black version and hating it a few years ago (But mostly so I can transfer my Diamond/Soul Silver stuff over to X) Ended up buying White 2 and actually enjoyed it, even though I rushed through the game. Still think most of the music is kind of ass (With some notable exceptions), and the I don't care for a good portion of quite a few of the Pokemon designs, but I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. Love the post-game content.

Kokonoe

Banned
They're practically modern compared to many of the other 8-bit games on both the original Gameboy and the NES; other than maybe side-scrolling Marios, I'm honestly having trouble thinking of another franchise from that era that still plays as consistently similar today as it did during its inception.

I'm sure that they're people who, for some reason or another, find the scant mechanical improvements between Red/Blue and X/Y to be insurmountable to return to, but there are also many, many other people who find the original games so fresh and enjoyable to play, that they for their own reasons refuse to move on to later iterations, and required that the fanbase coin a term to describe them. Not to mention the sane voices from the less-than-invested casual audience and critics that identify that these games are so damn monolithic that they might as well be remakes and demakes of each other.

I do enjoy Red and Blue, and Gold and Silver (those are my favorite Pokemon versions), but I think the actuality of why people like those games to this day over later ones is a really quite simple thing to understand.

Opinions.

Example 1:
I happen to have been born in 1990, but I love Elvis Presley's music compared to a lot of modern music because modern music on the radio to me just sounds like a ton of off-beat echoing the same voice over and over, "ella, ella, ella, ella, look in my umbrella" etc. It's purely because I find it superior to that kind of music and I love that particular tone of his voice that reaches on both sides of the spectrum.

Example 2:
People don't always like the same food, nor the same flavors. Well, calling anyone nostalgic for liking something is already an absolutely idiotic thing to say, but to note, it would be like saying someone's nostalgic for liking a certain type of French Fries at a fast food joint which recipe was changed at a certain point. People have different tastes, people should accept that.

Pokemon Itself

Mechanics
Either or not one finds these entertaining or 'good' (subjective!) is entirely one's opinion. Adding Abilities to Pokemon in Gen III? either or not that or many of the other changes presented since then are 'good' or 'needed' is subjective. I mean you have people here who love the Pokemon following you in HeartGold and SoulSilver, a new mechanic yet I've seen one person not enjoy that aspect. It really is all one's opinion.

Graphics
The artstyle and the way the colors are used and the shapes are entirely subjective when one deems the other better than the other. It'll never be a fact, so people should stop acting like it's a fact when one decides the old artwork is better because that's their opinion, there is nothing wrong with it.

Last Statement
With how complex we think about things without even realizing and with how many differences or even the slightest differences can either be a like or dislike in one mind is so numerous that people really should just accept that these are all opinions and you can't do anything about it. You can't make them submit to your way of thinking if they don't share your view. (unrelated to you Kopyii)

I rather they actually went somewhere with the story instead of just giving up halfway through. B/W was still the pinnacle in Pokemon storylines, which was because there was actually a good payoff to the Team Plasma story.
Well X and Y started off as the player setting off on a journey with a group of friends. If those 4 other characters had been given much more interesting personalities, I feel like the story wouldn't have to rely on a diabolical organization and a tall immortal king. Game Freak could probably even make a story involving legendary Pokemon that doesn't have to involve world domination and doomsday scenarios. Just have the evil gang be a group of poachers that want Xerneas's horns or Yveltal's beak or feathers or something. Sure, the stakes would be lower, but I don't feel like every Pokemon story needs to involve the fate of the world at the end.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Well X and Y started off as the player setting off on a journey with a group of friends. If those 4 other characters had been given much more interesting personalities, I feel like the story wouldn't have to rely on a diabolical organization and a tall immortal king. Game Freak could probably even make a story involving legendary Pokemon that doesn't have to involve world domination and doomsday scenarios. Just have the evil gang be a group of poachers that want Xerneas's horns or Yveltal's beak or feathers or something. Sure, the stakes would be lower, but I don't feel like every Pokemon story needs to involve the fate of the world at the end.

Yeah, I absolutely agree with this. I've hated the prominence that's been put on legendaries since Gen 3 and onwards. I preferred it when the storyline was a little more 'grounded' in terms of Team Rocket just being a yakuza/mafia analogy and legendaries just being exceptionally rare and powerful, rather than deities.

Kokonoe

Banned
Opinions are not inherently beyond reproach. Saying "I think" at the start of a sentence doesn't mean that someone can't call you crazy for saying that.

If we're all calling each other crazy all of the time that leads nowhere. Anyone can do whatever they want, but I find respect much more valuable.

TM fusion? I can finally get Flamethrower and Ice Beam combo?!

Well with the introduction of dual type moves I think it is only a matter of time before Gamefreak makes that move for you.

EDIT:
Well that is interesting, Wild Blaze has two basic Charizard EX cards, both different from the Coro Coro promo.
charizard-ex-wild-blaze.jpg

charizard-ex-wild-blaze-2.jpg

Also this card is ballin as fuck!

lysandre-full-art.jpg

Macka

Game Ranking

Top Tier
XY
Emerald
HeartGold/SoulSilver
Platinum

Mid Tier
Ruby/Sapphire
FireRed/LeafGreen
Black 2/White 2

Low Tier
Diamond/Pearl
Black/White

Too old, wouldn't play
Crystal
Gold/Silver
Yellow
Red/Blue

~~~~~~~~~~

Black/White does have the best plot of the series, but I mean really...that's not saying much tbh. It has by far the most boring region of the entire series and only a handful of the Pokemon designs actually appeal to me. By that I mean less than 10. The type selection is abysmal as well, if you don't pick a water starter you don't have many other choices left. B2W2 fixed a lot of these problems but I still didn't have much fun with the game. I actually haven't even finished it, and I bought it on release so...

FSLink

Banned
Can I ride it?

Also, why does everyone rank emerald so high for pokemon games? Just curious since I dunno why. (Don't get offended, it's just a question)
Refines Ruby/Sapphire well like all 3rd games and the original Battle Frontier showed up in Emerald providing great end-game content. Also introduced stuff like Flame Body making breeding faster.

Wiseblade

Game Ranking
I respectfully disagreeYOU'RE CRAZY

Unova's route layout might not be amazing, but each individual route is brilliantly made, twice as big as it appears on first glance. And in terms of navigation, Unova spoiled me instantly by allowing me to travel the whole region without the use of HMs. No way I could go back to the mess that was Sinnoh after that.

Monster preferences are the definition of subjective, and BW did have a limited selection of water types. But it's nowhere near as bad as DPs Fire drought. Not when frillish/jellicent exist.

lewisgone

Gen V is my least favourite, but that has more to with the Pokemon designs than anything else. Barely anything appealed to me in that game.

I wouldn't have minded unappealing new designs as much if it weren't for the fact no other Pokemon were obtainable until after the Elite 4. I didn't enjoy feeling I had to "compromise" in my choice of a flying/water type. I get they wanted to give off a Red/Blue vibe, but it didn't work for me. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more had the title had a worldwide release like X/Y and all the Pokemon were a surprise. Although then the end result would have been the same, the difference being I was catching Pokemon, raising them and not liking the outcome.

I prefer the X/Y approach of fully utilizing the hundreds of Pokemon that have already been made, and focusing on adding fewer, but better looking, Pokemon.

Top Bottom