• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

v1perz53

It really is unfortunate, I agree that Cynthia is probably the best champion in the series, but I could never really grow to like her. But that is almost entirely due to me disliking gen IV in general. Gen IV did a ton of good for the series (physical/special split is far and away the best thing to happen to pokemon), but it has the most uninteresting pokemon lineup of any game. Over the past two months, I replayed every game from FireRed/LeafGreen through X/Y to see how they compared to each other, and Platinum was the only game where I could not pick a team of 5 pokemon that I wanted to use and were interesting, would work as a team, and I hadn't used to death in other games already. Didn't help that there were like 27 HMs that you needed in that game.

I want to love gen IV and cynthia, I really do. But while it is one of my favorite generations, they remain some of my least favorite games in the series, if that makes any sense.

All that said, Infernape is probably my favorite starter of all time even with mega starters in X/Y, and I was a big Charizard fanboy back in the third grade. Hell, I would probably make a team including all 3 Sinnoh starters if I could, that is the one area they really got right in gen IV

I would play a Pokemon game focused on Canada.

I would love a Pokémon game based on my home country, especially if Rob Ford is the leader of the evil team.

Also, check out this sweet mug I won at a Pokémon tournament last weekend:

jxe0h7Ql.jpg

That's my team on there. They even added sparkles around Scrafty and Espeon to denote their shininess!

DedValve

Banned
So I was ev training my team and then I found a horde of gligars. One of them was shiny!!!

This would be my second legit shiny (first one being a damn gold magikarp in SS =/ ). Also screwed a few evs killing the other gligars but who cares, I got me a shiny! feelsgood.jpeg

Still wish I found a shiny zubat though, pink crobat is glorious.

EDIT: Scraftydevil that cup is glorious but whose the pokemon right to mega scizor?

EDIT 2: I just checked, timid (neutral) nature! Thats actually good considering it could have had far worser natures.

-Horizon-

I would love a Pokémon game based on my home country, especially if Rob Ford is the leader of the evil team.

Also, check out this sweet mug I won at a Pokémon tournament last weekend:

jxe0h7Ql.jpg

That's my team on there. They even added sparkles around Scrafty and Espeon to denote their shininess!

Mega Scizor!!

DedValve

Banned
You must have nidoking on a good diet then :3

Nido's my favorite poison type (under dragalgae). I'm not sure if thats Togekiss or nidoking but it looks like he has a ball or egg on his face lol.

Wiseblade

So PokeGAF

Recently I have made statements around GAF lambasting you for things which I have realized are the fault of few and not many and basically acting like PokeGAF is a hivemind. I realize this makes me look like a total tool and was super uncool of me to do that, so this is me coming into PokeGAF and formally apologizing to the community for dragging your community's name through the mud over a small, petty grievance. I am truly sorry and look forward to being able to challenge the league when I get my team put together.

Thank you for the time.
Man, I hope this was referring to me...

Andrefpvs

A day with no new posts :(

Here's something for discussion: do you guys think there are enough sound-based moves right now that introducing a new Sound type would be viable in the future?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The Mega Evolution special was kinda passable I guess. Too much CharX pandering but nice to see it get its ass kicked in the end.

CorvoSol

So I'm trying to decide if I shouldn't retire Snorlax from my main team and at least relegate him to B-String, but I can't decide who to bring up from my B-Team in his place. I'm also kinda wondering if I shouldn't consider sliding Venusaur to B-Team, too. Currently I'm basically rocking Red's Team from G/S with Charizard/Blastoise/Venusaur/Raichu/Snorlax/Espeon. Charizard, Espeon, and Blastoise are all fairly solid members of the team, and Raichu has his moments, but Venusaur and Snorlax I dunno. B-Team is Arcanine/Dragonite/Scizor/Umbreon/Vanilluxe/Metagross.

I think I'll swap Snorlax for Metagross, and while my gut says to swap Venusaur for someone better than Vanilluxe, I love that Ice Cream cone.

Man, I hope this was referring to me...

It was more of a general apology, but if you feel my statements have wronged you personally, then I would be very happy if you took the apology similarly.

Busaiku

How the heck are Pokemon Smugglers even a thing.
Why is it so wrong for people to capture wild Pokemon en masse.

Scatterbug aren't even endangered, they're like one of them most common species.

This episode made me so angry.

Oh, happy birthday Boss Doggie!

Boss Doggie

Thanks for the greetings again you guys! :3

Ash would probably be fine with it if they were in pokeballs and in hospitable warehouse rather than caging them.

Also you clearly haven't seen the vivillion black market!

Busaiku

I don't like that the X/Y cartoon went back to the habit of moves not really doing what they're supposed to do.
Black/White actually adhered to the games alright, only thing I can remember that was really off was Poison.

But here, we have stuff like Stun Spore KOing Pokemon.

http://www.glitchcity.info/wiki/index.php/R/B_Name_Generator

So wanting to replay Red/Blue on my Gameboy, and I noticed this generator now links to a 404. :(
Anybody know of a backup somewhere?

I don't know of any other generators that would do that, but it is pretty simple to work out. If you have all of the information like the Pokemon's index number, the letter's index number, and know how to translate the hex into the level it'll be, you can probably do this without needing a name generator.

Bulbapedia has a table and explanation with all of the information you would need to do this. Just remember, characters 3, 5, and 7 in your name control which Pokemon you find and 2, 4, and 6 control the level of the number/Pokemon following it. (2 determines the level of 3, etc.)

So, for example, if you wanted to get lowest possible level starters (that aren't from the Venusaur line) and Porygon, you would name yourself _AkAqAr, with the underscore being any letter you want. This would result in Porygon, Charmander, and Squirtle appearing, all at level 128. 'M will also appear in the list due to the last values of your name being null, so don't think you did something wrong.

As a side note if you do decide to go with that name or something similar, to get the final forms of those starters you will need to level them up with rare candies instead of battling. Any Pokemon over level 100 will grow to level 100 when they gain experience and if they can evolve twice that means they can't gain another level and are locked as a middle stage evolution permanently. Also, catching them should be somewhat easy as long as they get a lot of critical hits. Critical hits in generation 1 games were determined by how much damage the Pokemon would do at double its level, and when double its level can mean 255+, the game loops it back around. At level 128, the Pokemon will be doing damage that it would be at level 0.

Boss Doggie

I don't like that the X/Y cartoon went back to the habit of moves not really doing what they're supposed to do.
Black/White actually adhered to the games alright, only thing I can remember that was really off was Poison.

Rather have the anime make interesting fights than boring fights with maximum stock footage.

Still better than having Attract be the move to end all moves.

So continuing with my thoughts on replaying all the Pokemon games, I beat the Champion a couple of days ago in Crystal. For Crystal and the rest of the games, I'm dividing up my thoughts between the campaign and postgame (though the postgame for GSC really is the second half of the campaign).

- First off, the graphical improvements made in GSC are great. The Pokemon sprites look like how the Pokemon are supposed to look like (though this was fixed in Yellow)! Being done with a monochromatic color scheme is also nice. The greatest change Crystal makes, though, are animated sprites. Crystal's animated sprite work is far superior to Emerald's or Platinum's, which just shows the Pokemon bouncing around and is rather uninspired. It amazes me that the sprite work really progressed backwards until Black and White.

- Now the rule I'm using for my replays is to only use Pokemon that were introduced during that generation. This self-imposed rule made my run much more difficult than it had to be, as this is the generation that introduced stinkers such as Unown, Delibird, and Jumpluff (all of which ended up on my team)! Making these Pokemon viable is ridiculously difficult. I had to breed Confusion onto Jumpluff just so it could have an attacking move besides Mega Drain! And I spent a lot of coins at the Game Corner just to get a Blizzard TM for Delibird. Other Pokemon are good, but don't get great moves until higher levels, making them hurt during the first half of the game. Using a Heracross with no Bug or Fighting type moves is just so bizarre!

- The distribution of some new Pokemon is terrible too. If you want to use the highly touted new Dark type Pokemon, you're going to have to basically wait until the second half of the game. I'm still waiting to catch a Houndour.

- An interesting relic of these games being the sequel to RBY is that the new Pokemon types and Pokemon eggs are both allegedly newly discovered. Any references to these being newly discovered are removed in Pokemon remakes.

- I'm bringing up the plot just to point out how poor it is. Team Rocket cut off some Slowpoke tails, uses some weird science to make Magikarp evolve, and then takes over a radio tower to beg Giovanni to come back. Everything Team Rocket does seems so much more low scale than any of their plans in RBY. Their hideout in Mahogany Town is so smaller than their hideout in Celadon City. The Silph Company building is taller than the Radio Tower. Team Rocket loses the element of "real life criminals in a fantasy world" and just become generic bad guys.

- This is just something minor that bugs me, but I really wish that Johto and Kanto had separate leagues. Now there are so many questions like what happened to Lorelei and Agatha? Why did Lance suddenly become champion? If they wanted to have a shared Pokemon league, I wish they did something interesting with it. Why not make Giovanni the champion? At the end of RBY, he claims he's going to travel to train his Pokemon. Having him end up as Champion ties up that plot while also providing a more satisfying conclusion to Team Rocket's plot than "Oh well, I guess we're going to disband again!" In fact, I really hate that the remakes made Giovanni hope for Team Rocket to become stronger again, while RBY kind of implied he was done with Team Rocket for good.

- And here's my thoughts on the level curve: it's a disaster. Basically from Goldenrod City until the Radio Tower, all of your opponents' Pokemon hover around the same level. It makes defeating Claire a bit of a pain in the ass, especially since Kingdra only has a weakness to Dragon!

- And one last point on Whitney: she's not nearly as difficult as people still claim to this day. Use strategy beyond brute force and you'll be fine. I had my Phanpy use Mud Slap on Miltank. It's a weak attack, but it decreases accuracy, which shut down Rollout from gaining power. Phanpy is Crystal exclusive, but still, any accuracy decreasing move will basically render Miltank worthless.

Now for my Pokemon. My Hall of Fame time was 20:53 (longer than my RBY time, which shocked me, considering how much of GSC happens in the post game), and here's my team:

Henry VIII (Jumpluff) Level 40
Synthesis/Mega Drain/Confusion/Sleep Powder

Hamlet (Donphan) Level 41
Take Down/Flail/Strength/Mud Slap

Othello (Unown K) Level 40
Hidden Power (It actually had Hidden Power Psychic of all things!)

Caesar (Delibird) Level 41
Present/Fly/Blizzard

Juliet (Heracross) Level 41
Fury Attack/Counter/Horn Attack/Take Down

King Lear (Feraligatr) Level 45
Slash/Ice Punch/Bite/Surf

Now it is time to conquer Kanto for the second time. I'll post my final thoughts on Crystal once I beat Red.

Top Bottom