• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

DaBoss

From the E3 thread:
Guys, did you see that.?

8a77ed87413cd325d7c11cfea2cf1b79574372b6_10306088_10203913349932832_6301263045500691060_n.jpg

"Today, a member at the "Mega Lizardon Battle" in Yokohama has been suprised by a "teaser" in the end of the tournament. "I cannot tell you more about this right now"."

http://www.pokemontrash.com/2330-pokken-fighters-e3-jeu-combat-pokemon.html

Pokken becomes more and more real.
Though I'm not understanding where Pokken comes into this or even video games for that matter.

The site that is linked to just jumps to a bunch of baseless conclusions. Most likely to be TCG related.

And lol, the site is called PokemonTrash.

Tortimer

Man, I am really hoping that they include difficulty levels from the start in ORAS. I love Pokemon, but the last game was so easy. Also, self-imposed difficulty (Nuzlocke) just isn't as fun when you're not being forced to follow the rules.

I want to be able to choose a hard mode from the very start and be forced to claw my way to the E4. PLEASE, GAME FREAK. PLEASE.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
tbqh it's not so much that the game is easy mode but more on the mechanics being more tailored and improved.

Crossposting for ORAS. Long story short, I really hope they nail the feel of the music this time for the remasters, because I really doubt XY's instrumentation will cut it. Here's what I'd ideally want:

Route 113 (Faithful Ver.)

Emphasis on tremolo in synths, textured chiptunes, lo-fi equalizers, bitcrushers, phasers, and what have you to make it sound like the audio is actually managing to squeeze blood out of a rock. There's a certain grit or at least lo-fi-ness to RSE's audio that keeps it charming, the percussion especially with the constant white noise hi-hats. Not to mention those awesome trumpets. Now, here's what I'm expecting to happen:

Route 133 (game freak pls no ver.)

XY samples with some minor changes and more untextured chiptunes added, with too much liberty taken with the instrumentation - that fucking Colossus violin is going to be the death of me, because RSE managed just fine with minimal tremolo on the string samples and didn't need that crunchy sense of "warmth" to it to use the strings properly. My biggest fear, though, is them hamming up those rock guitars they introduced in XY and use them to replace the iconic trumpets in favor of using some deeper, more emotional-sounding brass samples.

Crossposting for ORAS. Long story short, I really hope they nail the feel of the music this time for the remasters, because I really doubt XY's instrumentation will cut it. Here's what I'd ideally want:

Route 113 (Faithful Ver.)

Emphasis on tremolo in synths, textured chiptunes, lo-fi equalizers, bitcrushers, phasers, and what have you to make it sound like the audio is actually managing to squeeze blood out of a rock. There's a certain grit or at least lo-fi-ness to RSE's audio that keeps it charming, the percussion especially with the constant white noise hi-hats. Not to mention those awesome trumpets. Now, here's what I'm expecting to happen:

Route 133 (game freak pls no ver.)

XY samples with some minor changes and more untextured chiptunes added, with too much liberty taken with the instrumentation - that fucking Colossus violin is going to be the death of me, because RSE managed just fine with minimal tremolo on the string samples and didn't need that crunchy sense of "warmth" to it to use the strings properly. My biggest fear, though, is them hamming up those rock guitars they introduced in XY and use them to replace the iconic trumpets in favor of using some deeper, more emotional-sounding brass samples.
With how much money Pokemon makes you'd think they'd pony up for some studio recorded music... but they don't.

EDIT:Whoops, double post.

Compositions are great, but as a music producer the actual instrumentation is pretty generic compared to some of the older soundsets. Gen 6's gym leader theme is probably my favorite of the franchise.

Yeah, it all sounds pretty lifeless to me. I wish they would just use live instruments(not an orchestra) like Mario Kart 8 is, and then maybe an orchestra for a few tracks.

Let me clarify. Pokemon having "realistic" instruments in and of itself isn't a bad thing, but relatively speaking, I put XY's soundset on the same level of DPPt's - mostly upping their audio quality where applicable due to hardware improvements, but not really doing anything special with it. We didn't really see the DS soundsets kick off into their own unique beast until Black and White, so I'm hoping that ORAS gives them that push to add their own unique touch to the soundsets.

It's also worth noting that they've actually been using most of the same soundfonts since Black and White (albeit extremely downgraded for DS hardware) - the saxophones in Gen 5 are especially obviously from Native Instruments soundbanks. RSE's soundfonts were really neat for the time because of how heavy the emphasis still was on chiptunes and white noise, while still incorporating some of those Mother 3 / Golden Sun-esque instruments alongside it. FRLG's take on the Pokemon Trainer and Champion battle themes are my favorite trainer battle themes in the franchise because it shows just how ridiculous you can get pushing the envelope with RSE's soundfont while still keeping the iconic melodies of some of the original tracks intact.

Pokemon has always forgone insane graphical / sound capability in favor of solid composition and the huge diversity of Pokemon available - from a technical standpoint, it's similar to Halo in that it mostly features evolutionary development instead of revolutionary big-budget "cinematic" setpieces and whatnot. The problem is that Pokemon's now a hyperpower of a franchise and we're still only getting soundsets that just about anyone can get their hands on with the right amount of cash with very few personal touches added. I mean hell, if you need some examples of other music using the same soundsets on way smaller budgets:

Here's a 30 minute-long "symphonic" album from one of the guys on the Homestuck team.

Remaster of the FRLG trainer battle theme I did, synth bass and rhodes notwithstanding.

Remake of the Metroid Prime track "Hive Totem" from the OCRemix album Harmony of a Hunter.

The examples are endless, and while it's not uncommon in the industry for people to pool together common sound assets like this, you'd think one of the most consistently financially successful franchises in gaming could dedicate a little more personalization and oomph to their soundsets.

Keyouta

tbqh it's not so much that the game is easy mode but more on the mechanics being more tailored and improved.

I suppose, but the game still is really easy. There isn't even an Elite Four rematch with higher levels. Adding in a difficulty option would be great for players that want the challenge. Hope we'll see this with ORAS and the eventual enhanced version of XY, the B team is really good at improving the base games.

Takashi

Speaking of easy, I know it can be turned off but I don't like what they did with the exp share. Especially so early on in the game. I understand it's for people who want to rotate various teams during the game but it should've just been called the exp all for those who preferred the original exp share.

I'm playing through Y version right now without grinding or using the EXP share and it is actually fairly difficult. Enemy levels are typically 3-6 above mine and I've actually blacked out a few times too.

EDIT: I don't know why, but nothing beats Pokemon hype for me. When ever a new Pokemon game is coming out I love looking forward to the new CoroCoro every month.

Takashi

Sorry didn't mean to just drive-by post, kinda forgot to introduce myself. To keep it short, I've been a long time fan of the series since Gold, and I've enjoyed most if not all the mainline games.

As far as favorite regions/gens I'd say Johto>Hoenn>>Unova=Kalos>Kanto>>>Sinnoh

Johto was my first gen so naturally it's up there, but going to another region and seeing the gym leaders and locations I'd seen in the anime was awesome. Hoenn was the first gen that I actively anticipated and I really enjoyed it when it came. Unova felt pretty refreshing in that all the mons were new and I tried to go into it blind as I mostly did going into Gold as a kid. Kalos I haven't played much (just finished my first run through of it) but from first impressions it's on par with Unova. Kanto isn't really low, it's just that it's pretty vanilla compared to the rest. I don't hate Sinnoh either just think it's the weakest gen of the series.

That said, I'm pretty excited for the Hoenn remakes. I was kind of hoping they would be sequels in a sense, but as long as they add and fix things the way HG/SS did then remakes are perfectly fine. Anyway looking forward to being part of Pokegaf's hype train these coming months!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I suppose, but the game still is really easy. There isn't even an Elite Four rematch with higher levels. Adding in a difficulty option would be great for players that want the challenge. Hope we'll see this with ORAS and the eventual enhanced version of XY, the B team is really good at improving the base games.

Well to be fair, people use the third version for comparisons, and XY hasn't gotten its third version/sequel yet.

Compositions are great, but as a music producer the actual instrumentation is pretty generic compared to some of the older soundsets. Gen 6's gym leader theme is probably my favorite of the franchise.

I dunno, I think the sounds used in GBA games were awful.

So X/Y is getting pretty tired and I've been itching for some more Pokemon since the OR/AS announcement.

I've never played Platinum and I barely remember the 4th gen. Worth playing? I wonder if the price has gone down at all in 5 years.

Caladrius

So X/Y is getting pretty tired and I've been itching for some more Pokemon since the OR/AS announcement.

I've never played Platinum and I barely remember the 4th gen. Worth playing? I wonder if the price has gone down at all in 5 years.

Platinum is my favorite Pokemon game so yes.

And of course not.

-Horizon-

Platinum and HG/SS were pretty great, especially the latter.
And I've never seen Pokemon prices go down unless its a store sale.

Macka

I played Pokemon Snap again last night. It has become a yearly tradition at this point.

I know it will likely never happen...but god I would love a sequel. Would it really be that much work? Considering they already have all of the Pokemon models made for X&Y, wouldn't it just be a matter of animating them?

DaBoss

How would a new Pokemon Snap game fuel the people arguing for a Pokemon MMO?
Because it is likely the people who think a Pokemon MMO is a good idea would think TPCi are listening to the fans when they make a Pokemon Snap sequel and start becoming even louder.

Busaiku

This is completely baseless, but I think a bunch of Pokemon Snap fans are 1st generation only players that would not be as receptive to a new one because it wouldn't feature the Kanto Pokemon as heavily.
Except Charizard.

Because it is likely the people who think a Pokemon MMO is a good idea would think TPCi are listening to the fans when they make a Pokemon Snap sequel and start becoming even louder.

This, plus they would see all the Pokemon being animated and think "LOOK, JUST ADD IN SOME MMO STUFF AND WE GOT A STEW GOING"

Top Bottom