• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Kyzer

Banned
I would love a new pokemon snap and I think Pokemon would not only make a fantastic mmo but it would sell really well. Oh well I guess I'm an idiot.

This, plus they would see all the Pokemon being animated and think "LOOK, JUST ADD IN SOME MMO STUFF AND WE GOT A STEW GOING"

Literally a few posts before this someone said the same thing about Pokemon Snap. The models already exist in X and Y so just animate them. Which isn't totally untrue. Pokemon is already basically an MMO already, you just never interact with the other players in your physical world. But they're all right there. On your friends list and as passersby connected to the internet.

I don't know why anyone would be against any new Pokemon game unless they're so caught up in pride that their inherent disbelief in the games concept to do well, or their personal logical justification for the game to never exist doesn't allow them to enjoy the idea. Even more so be against or judge people who do want another kind of game. This is some GameFAQs level shit. You're all full of it. You are not de facto experts on squat nor are your opinions or ideas more true or valid so just let it go. Some people want a Pokemon MMO and there is zero concrete support for it being a "bad idea" .

Unless you're just tired of hearing about it. Then idk what to tell ya.

Kyzer

Banned
MMO's are a shit-ton of work and upkeep, as well as people having ridiculous standards for MMO's. Plus the whole thing with Nintendo not having done an MMO before.

But the whole idea is profitability. All that upkeep and work is a business decision to reap profits later, just like any other project. And wasn't Blizzards first MMO World of Warcraft? If square can make it work I'm sure Nintendo could too. But idk this is all speculation.

My point being, I can understand conservative skepticism. But outright adamant denial is way too extreme. People guffaw at the idea of a Pokemon MMO as if its some noob kids dream of people who don't really understand the real world or some shit, when its really not that crazy of an idea at all.

DaBoss

I would rather get a Pokemon Snap sequel than not getting one at all. Even if it brings out the silliness for MMOs even more lol.

FSLink

Banned
All of the things people want from a Pokemon MMO are already available in-game. At this point, mentioning it is just a running joke.

Pretty much, only thing they could add is stuff like being able to run an actual gym or something, but they can expand this in sequels if they wanted to instead of making an MMO. (Oh god Gamefreak make it so you can do this through Secret Bases + Streetpass)

Kyzer

Banned
All of the things people want from a Pokemon MMO are already available in-game. At this point, mentioning it is just a running joke.

What?

A game in which you are running around the same world in real time as other trainers, everyone starting in a different region of a big cohesive world, and the ENTIRE GAME RUNNING AROUND CO-OP (AND PvP) are not available in the game. Either way why in the world would Nintendo release an MMO that was the same thing as the handheld games? Who is even saying that? Who wants a Pokemon MMO but wants it to be exactly like another handheld game? WTF?

Do you realize how ridiculous of a defense against the release of a Pokemon MMO that is?

"Nintendo should release a Pokemon MMO!"

"No, because it would be exactly like the handheld games."

First of all, who is anyone to say what the game would be like, and worse, use that as reason for the game to never be made?

Second of all, how the hell is this handheld game with a single player story that takes you through a one-time linear story by yourself along with a separate (albeit robust) multiplayer mode the same as what an MMO would be>??

A warcraft MMO would be stupid you can already play with other people and the only people that would play it are people who already play warcraft. Mentioning it is kind of a running joke at this point.

Conversely, open your mind, STRETCH that mind, if absolutely necessary, to comprehend the CONCEPT of the POSSIBILITY that a fully-featured Pokemon MMO would be a big deal, and POSSIBLY really good? As opposed to it being, you know LOLworthy for someone to even "mention" it.

Wiseblade

PSS is everything people whine about wanting from a Poké-MMO with none of the downsides.

1) The ability to interact with people in the same game location as you, withought having to fight over spawns in tall grass (whith the adddd bonus of interacting with people in close physical proximity).

2) Seeing if your friends and those you have played with recently are online and what they're up to, while also having the ability to play without an internet connection.

3) Participating in global battle challenges and trading on a global marketplace.

Anyone asking for an MMO now either hasn't played a Pokémon game in 5 years or doesn't know what's good for them.

Nah, it wouldn't be good.
PSS is everything people whine about wanting from a Poké-MMO with none of the downsides.

The ability to interact with people in the same game location as you, withought having to fight over spawns in tall grass (whith the adddd bonus of interacting with people in close physical proximity).

Seeing if your friends and those you have played with recently are online and what they're up to.

Participating in global battle challenges and trading on a global marketplace.

but reasons, man

reasons

Wiseblade

There is a HUGE difference between "An always online Multiplayer RPG set in the Warcraft Universe" and "Pokémon, but always online". Maybe that comparison would work if WoW was an RTS where you had to march your army around into another player to start a battle, but it isn't.

Busaiku

Why have there been no Pokemon distributions outside of like the very first.
Seriously, a worldwide launch means nothing if they're not doing anything else after that.

I know I may be repeating what many others have said here before but:

The problem with releasing a Pokémon MMO at this time is that MMORPGs are in decline and are not a main focus in the industry anymore, their time in the spotlight has finished. World of Warcraft which is the largest of all of the MMORPGs has dropped to 7.6 million subscribers from a peak of 12 million in 2010. It is a marked decline that isn't showing any signs of recovering back to the old numbers.

I simply don't think it is wise to bring a seperate MMO game to market nowadays. It would be too big a risk for a potentially small reward. What Game Freak have done with B/W's Entralink and then X/Y's Player Search System are the MMO features that many have been asking for. There is room for improvement though and it is clear to see how much better the PSS is compared to the Entralink in terms of player communication features. It's simple and gets the job done.

Kyzer

Banned

1) The ability to interact with people in the same game location as you, withought having to fight over spawns in tall grass (whith the adddd bonus of interacting with people in close physical proximity).

2) Seeing if your friends and those you have played with recently are online and what they're up to, while also having the ability to play without an internet connection.

3) Participating in global battle challenges and trading on a global marketplace.

Anyone asking for an MMO now either hasn't played a Pokémon game in 5 years or doesn't know what's good for them.

What man this is so offensive to me I can't even

I love Pokemon. I am always always always playing a mainline Pokemon game in some form or another, and have been for as long as I remember, no matter what other games I'm playing. Its actually probably a behavioral issue at this point.

PSS is from a Pokemon game from less than a year ago. To minimalize everything as having been long resolved is a gross over exaggeration. Seriously I haven't played a Pokemon game in the past 5 years if I want a Pokemon MMO?

Yo man I agree that with PSS the game is almost already an MMO. I've said this to friends. I like it and appreciate the advantages even.

But it's not an MMO. Its not what a Pokemon MMO would be and no one wants it to be.

There's a huge difference between an always online Pokemon and a Pokemon MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER experience.

I'm happy to hear you're satisfied with Pokemon as it is and can't fathom how a Pokemon MMO could be fun or different, but that has nothing to do with the prospect of a Pokemon MMO.

Even the way you say people "whine" about wanting things from an MMO.

You just don't want it. That's okay.

The best part about that impassioned plea is that you never defined what a Pokemon MMO is to you, because everything was already outlined for you.

Everyone already grinds for exp.
Killing 20 of something for a prize? People do that with EV Training (which is even easier now).
PvP? Been done since Gen 4.

Like...what else is there?

Kyzer

Banned
The best part about that impassioned plea is that you never defined what a Pokemon MMO is to you, because everything was already outlined for you.

Everyone already grinds for exp.
Killing 20 of something for a prize? People do that with EV Training (which is even easier now).
PvP? Been done since Gen 4.

Like...what else is there?

What I want wasn't entirely relevant but I'd love a true living co op experience with my friends. If anything I would hope that GF did it their own way. Or whoever developed it. As opposed to being exactly like WoW. But even that would be pretty fun.

Vylash

Why have there been no Pokemon distributions outside of like the very first.
Seriously, a worldwide launch means nothing if they're not doing anything else after that.

I have no idea, Wi-fi events can't possible be that hard (even though NOA is ridiculously lazy with them)

Kyzer

Banned
Like double battles?

Man you guys are really resistant, huh. Yeah kinda like double battles I guess, but I can chat with my friend, and afterward we can explore the Unknown Dungeon together, take on gyms, complete quests, go to town centers and participate in contests, go to the Pokemon Stadium and participate in a PvP tourney, idk man. It doesn't even matter. It could be a totally different experience entirely than what were used to with the handheld games or could even predict, who knows. It would be a different game. Its not like they would just release the same exact thing as the mainline games lol

Macka

You can pick five Pokemon from each generation that you'd like to see receive a Mega Evolution. Go.
---------
Arbok
Dugtrio
Arcanine
Rapidash
Muk
----------
Lanturn
Steelix
Magcargo
Kingdra
Donphan
----------
Sharpedo
Camerupt
Cacturne
Zangoose
Seviper
----------
Luxray
Spiritomb
Toxicroak
Gallade
Drapion
----------
Krookodile
Cofagrigus
Reuniclus
Beartic
Bisharp
----------
Pangoro
Malamar
Heliolisk
Hawlucha
Noivern
----------

Wiseblade

What man this is so offensive to me I can't even
Good, because it was meant to be.

I love Pokemon. I am always always always playing a mainline Pokemon game in some form or another, and have been for as long as I remember, no matter what other games I'm playing. Its actually probably a behavioral issue at this point.
The "I'm a real fan!" paragraph.

PSS is from a Pokemon game from less than a year ago. To minimalize everything as having been long resolved is a gross over exaggeration. Seriously I haven't played a Pokemon game in the past 5 years if I want a Pokemon MMO?
PSS is the evolution of the online and local Wifi features in Gen V. Which themselves take inspiration from the first steps taken in Gen IV. The GTS is 7 years old.

But it's not an MMO. Its not what a Pokemon MMO would be and no one wants it to be.

There's a huge difference between an always online Pokemon and a Pokemon MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER experience.

I'm happy to hear you're satisfied with Pokemon as it is and can't fathom how a Pokemon MMO could be fun or different, but that has nothing to do with the prospect of a Pokemon MMO.
OK, let's get real. How does a Pokémon MMO work in your mind? Because there's really only 3 ways to do it.

1. Go all the way WoW with it - so that's everyone on a shared world. Which is a TERRIBLE idea for a game built around solo exploration. It's all the jokes about "waiting for Mewtwo respawns" come to life.

2. Instance it to hell and back - which is basically what we have now, except towns become super crowded and offline play is dead. Which is a TERRIBLE idea. Pokémon is largely played solo. Forcing people to connect to a server to play single player is just creating another SimCity. A good comparison would be to look at Monster Hunter. MH4 is still going strong and nobody plays Frontier.

3. Don't make a Pokémon game - in which case, what's the point?

DaBoss

You can pick five Pokemon from each generation that you'd like to see receive a Mega Evolution. Go.
That's an interesting topic. Not gonna include any starters.

Gen 1: Arcanine, Clefable, Cloyster, Sandslash, & Golem
Gen 2: Lanturn, Skarmory, Azumarill, Donphan, & Foretress
Gen 3: Flygon, Metagross, Milotic, Altaria, & Glalie
Gen 4: Luxray, Gallade, Floatzel, Toxicroak, & Froslass
Gen 5: Haxorus, Bisharp, Galvantula, Krookodile, & Scrafty
Gen 6: Pangoro, Malamar, Barbacle, Heliolisk, & Hawlucha

Gen 6 is probably one that will be similar for most people.

---------
Arcanine
----------
Lanturn
----------
Zangoose
----------
Luxray
----------
Reuniclus
----------
Noivern
----------

They're my favourites and cute enough to matter.

Gen 1: Sandslash, Persian, Machamp, Dewgong, Exeggutor.
Gen 2: Ledian, Lanturn, Sudowoodo, Octillery, Kingdra.
Gen 3: Ludicolo, Flygon, Cradily, Chimecho, Metagross
Gen 4: Kricketune, Luxray, Drifblim, Toxicroak, Togekiss
Gen 5: Whimsicott, Scrafty, Reuniclus, Vanilluxe, Galvantula
Gen 6: Pangoro, Malamar, Barbaracle, Heliolisk, Hawlucha

Wichu

Raichu
Nidoqueen
Nidoking
Arcanine
Primeape
Dunsparce
Quagsire
Steelix
Sunflora
Qwilfish
Swellow
Delcatty
Sableye
Flygon
Tropius
Staraptor
Luxray
Vespiquen
Toxicroak
Drapion
Darmanitan
Zoroark
Golurk
Bisharp
Volcarona
Florges
Heliolisk
Clawitzer
Dragalge
Hawlucha

I think this is a nice blend of Pokémon that need them (e.g. Sunflora) and ones where the Mega Evolution would just be awesome (e.g. Volcarona).

I didn't list anything that's pretty much guaranteed a Mega (or at least an alternate form), i.e. the other Hoenn starters, Kyogre / Groudon / Rayquaza, Zygarde.

Kyzer

Banned
That's enough reason to never release a massive multiplayer Pokemon?

Why

I don't think its impossible...

I agree potential cannibalization of sales would be a huge obstacle though.

Dugtrio
Poliwrath
Farfetch'd
Primeape
Marowak

Donphan
Smeargle
Delibird
Qwilfish
Dunsparce

Ludicolo
Shiftry
Flygon
Claydol
Castform

Luxray
Wormadam
Bronzong
Rotom
Roserade

Scrafty
Crustle (Not terrible this time, please)
Cofagrigus
Zoroark
Golurk

Hawlucha
Pangoro
Barbaracle
Heliolisk
Avalugg

Combination of Pokémon who could use a polish for the new metagame, Pokémon that I like that have fallen from prominence a bit, and Pokémon who present a great opportunity for a really interesting extension of their design. I mean... Cofagrigus? Barbaracle? Claydol? The potential for Megas that take their concepts further (think how Banette's Mega built on the concept of the ghost trapped in the doll, or how Kangaskhan built on the mother and child motif) is huge.

Kyzer

Banned
Gen I
1. Nidoking
2. Nidoqueen
3. Dragonite
4. Wigglytuff
5. Golduck

Gen II
1. Meganium
2. Typhlosion
3. Feraligatr
4. Steelix
5. Slowking

Gen III
1. Sceptile
2. Swampert
3. Metagross
4. Sharpedo
5. Dusclops

Gen IV
1. Torterra
2. Infernape
3. Empoleon
4. Rampardos
5. Bastiodon

Gen V
1. Serperior
2. Emboar
3. Samurott
4. Braviary
5. Druddigon

Gen VI
1. Chesnaught
2. Delphox
3. Greninja
4. Aegislash
5. Vivillon

Busaiku

The worst thing about Mega Evolutions thus far is that it could've been a tool to help less powerful Pokemon be more useful.
But for the most part, it just made some of the most powerful Pokemon even more powerful.

The worst thing about Mega Evolutions thus far is that it could've been a tool to help less powerful Pokemon be more useful.
But for the most part, it just made some of the most powerful Pokemon even more powerful.

Not in Mega Garchomp's case. Garchomp is better to use than it's mega in almost every single way. That 10 base speed drop hurts it quite a bit.

CassSept

Basically Gen IV again, huh. When they added a ton of evolutions I thought it would be to make some families viable (especially since some of these were butt ugly), but hope. Most of them did little to help their evolution trees, there were definitely other Pokemon that would be more suited for the exposure and freaking Dusclops got an evo. Dusclops! Seriously!?

Edit: Though in case of Gen VI they did a better job. Charizard is viable at last, huzzah!

DaBoss

It did make some powerful Pokemon more powerful, but it doesn't do that for the most part. Nearly all of the megas are useful in some way or another.

Out of the ones I've used and seen being used, the nearly useless ones seem to be Absol, Houndoom, Heracross, and Blastoise. While Garchomp seems to be better off without using a mega stone.

Firestorm

What? The best Megas are Kangaskhan, Venusaur, Mawile, Charizard, and Manectric I'd say. They were all practically unseen before. There are other ones who were indeed powerful without Mega forms and they are interesting in that their Mega forms allow for different strategies at the cost of taking up a mega slot (Tyranitar and Gyarados). There's also the relatively meh Pokémon who are still usable but not quite amazing (Lucario).

Mega Pokémon have been a really cool strategic addition to the game. Though it would be nice to see a Kangaskhan nerf for ORAS.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
trevenant is so kawaii

184.gif

b0a.png

a70.png

f52.png

mUMUFBr.png

MTAYA8Y.png

overly_friendly_trevenant_by_greatnyanlathotep-d6yqrtv.png

trevenant_and_gourgeist_by_kgym-d6rz6d5.png

remember those days where we speculate Oorotto?

Kyzer

Banned
Gourgeist, Palkia, and Krookodile all really push it when it comes to Pokemon designs. Really hard for me to explain them away when people who don't play see them.

Top Bottom