• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

RedSwirl

Jesus Christ. Anybody know any tricks for exchanging three boxes full of Pokemon?

So, a few months ago this guy on GAF sold me his copy of Pokemon Black. Originally I was just going to delete this dude's file and start over, but then I decided to check is collection only to find three boxes (and a whole party) full of well-trained Pokemon between levels 20 and 60, including one legendary (that I know of).

My plan is to actually trade these guys back into my copy of Soul Silver, and then later into a copy of Pokemon X. In Soul Silver I'm about to finish the eighth gym. Thing is, I also plan to nickname every single one of these dudes.

Oh, and is Fly a good HM move to keep or should I just move delete that?

McDonalds has Pokemon toys in their happy meals. I didn't know till today when i saw them in line. I got Fennekin but I really felt like going back for a Froakie or something.

RedSwirl

You can't move anything from Black into Soulsilver.

I thought the only trade break-off point was between Gen II and III.

Edit: I forgot there was a whole other function for inter-generational trading. And I thought it was actual, y'know, trading of Pokemon, and not just giving them from one generation to the other. I know you can transfer things from Gen II to Gen I if they're compatible, but what about other generations?

Takashi

I thought the only trade break-off point was between Gen II and III.

Edit: I forgot there was a whole other function for inter-generational trading. And I thought it was actual, y'know, trading of Pokemon, and not just giving them from one generation to the other. I know you can transfer things from Gen II to Gen I if they're compatible, but what about other generations?

Starting from gen 3, you can only transfer mons in a forward direction. As in from 3 to 4, 4 to 5, 5 to 6. You can't move them from Black to Soul Silver because that would be gen 5 to gen 4.

Wichu

G/S/C couldn't add anything to Pokémon data to maintain compatibility (e.g. a Pokémon's Sp. Atk and Sp. Def IVs and stat experience are identical, since they're the same stat in gen 1). Later generations have taken the opposite approach, sacrificing compatibility to let the game store more information about each Pokémon with each generation (e.g. in X/Y Pokémon now remember the egg moves they were born with).

-Horizon-

The only good male designs were Red's gen 3 remake, Brendan's Emerald look (except for the shorts over long pants, that always looked strange to me), and the guy from B/W.

RedSwirl

G/S/C couldn't add anything to Pokémon data to maintain compatibility (e.g. a Pokémon's Sp. Atk and Sp. Def IVs and stat experience are identical, since they're the same stat in gen 1). Later generations have taken the opposite approach, sacrificing compatibility to let the game store more information about each Pokémon with each generation (e.g. in X/Y Pokémon now remember the egg moves they were born with).

So inter-generation trading isn't actually trading? It's just transferring?

Speaking of female player characters, I'm at the Elite 4 in my Y no EXP share run, it's been pretty fun. Here's what my character looks like right now.
mtGdKCWl.jpg

Nicki Minaj♂ will soon be the champion of Kalos!
suck it leakers, I can take good pictures with my cellphone.

It's ridiculous how much better the game is with the EXP share turned off.

-Horizon-

Leaf is nice too. Its a shame that the Special manga is the only thing outside of FRLG that really acknowledges her existence.
She's never been animated and she's only been in a special manga? D:
Its like Persona 3's female protag all over again.

Speaking of female player characters, I'm at the Elite 4 in my Y no EXP share run, it's been pretty fun. Here's what my character looks like right now.
mtGdKCWl.jpg

Nicki Minaj♂ will soon be the champion of Kalos!
suck it leakers, I can take good pictures with my cellphone.

It's ridiculous how much better the game is with the EXP share turned off.
Seems that me starting with the male trainer was a bad idea.

She's never been animated and she's only been in a special manga? D:
Its like Persona 3's female protag all over again.

Seems that me starting with the male trainer was a bad idea.
I started as a dude in my X version when it came out. The selection for female clothing is much better, but still not amazing.
EDIT:
I decided to do a style change before taking on the Elite 4.
1oyLfTQl.jpg

-Horizon-

I started as a dude in my X version when it came out. The selection for female clothing is much better, but still not amazing.
EDIT:
I decided to do a style change before taking on the Elite 4.
1oyLfTQl.jpg

I like this new design too :D
Short shorts with leggings umph
Really, the more I look, the more I see its hard to go wrong with the female trainer
I have faith that GameFreak will put in a larger variety in ORAS.

I like this new design too :D
Short shorts with leggings umph
Really, the more I look, the more I see its hard to go wrong with the female trainer
I have faith that GameFreak will put in a larger variety in ORAS.

Hopefully there is a larger variety of clothing for guys too, while I have no problem playing as either gender I prefer playing as a guy in video games when I have the choice, at least for my first run through of a game.

RedSwirl

And I imagine I can't trade dudes from Gen IV straight into Gen VI.

In that case, I might just keep this dude's Black save file and eventually transfer his Pokemon straight into X. I don't even intend to seriously play Black. I just wanted to start a new file to see what the game was like compared to Gen IV, maybe make it through the first or second gym. I might be able to do that without saving the game.

789shadow

Banned
And I imagine I can't trade dudes from Gen IV straight into Gen VI.

In that case, I might just keep this dude's Black save file and eventually transfer his Pokemon straight into X. I don't even intend to seriously play Black. I just wanted to start a new file to see what the game was like compared to Gen IV, maybe make it through the first or second gym. I might be able to do that without saving the game.
You have to beat the game and get to the Poke Transfer Lab to transfer Pokemon from Gen IV to Gen V

-Horizon-

Hopefully there is a larger variety of clothing for guys too, while I have no problem playing as either gender I prefer playing as a guy in video games when I have the choice, at least for my first run through of a game.

Yeah, I always play as a dude first. Since I just transferred all my pokemon out of my 4th and 5th gen games, I'll probably play as a girl in those games the next time I replay them.

I've played the male character in every game except for White 2, but I think I'll play female in Alpha Sapphire if only for the far, far better clothing options.

Oh, and I did the Gym Leader challenge at Anime North this past weekend! Even though you were allowed to use any team you wanted, I used a mono-Dark team for some bonus fun. Scrafty, Crawdaunt, Weavile, Zoroark, Mega Houndoom, and Greninja work surprisingly well together!

I've played the male character in every game except for White 2, but I think I'll play female in Alpha Sapphire if only for the far, far better clothing options.

Oh, and I did the Gym Leader challenge at Anime North this past weekend! Even though you were allowed to use any team you wanted, I used a mono-Dark team for some bonus fun. Scrafty, Crawdaunt, Weavile, Zoroark, Mega Houndoom, and Greninja work surprisingly well together!

What if the male character is better though?

Also I've been thinking about doing a mono type run of a Pokemon game.

What if the male character is better though?

Also I've been thinking about doing a mono type run of a Pokemon game.

If the male is better than I'll just buy Omega Ruby as well.

Monotype is actually really fun. It forces you to strategize and play more craftily, with the added bonus of making you feel like a true "legendary trainer" rather than just some mook with a broken team.

Could see trainer customisation being one of the features taken out of Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire.

I really can't. GameFreak's done some dumb stuff in the past, but removing an extremely well-received bullet-point feature of the newest entries in the series would require a full frontal lobotomy to even be considered a good idea.

-Horizon-

Could see trainer customisation being one of the features taken out of Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire.
Original RSE - take out day and night feature
ORAS - bring back day and night, take out customization

Thank you Game Freak, thank you...
I don't see it happening unless Game Freak hates us all

Wichu

I really can't. GameFreak's done some dumb stuff in the past, but removing an extremely well-received bullet-point feature of the newest entries in the series would require a full frontal lobotomy to even be considered a good idea.

Just like how they kept Pokémon following you in every game since HG/SS.

I think it'll be in, but it's not certain.

Just like how they kept Pokémon following you in every game since HG/SS.

I think it'll be in, but it's not certain.

Difference here is that they would have to redo the assests for every single Pokémon in the ever-growing Dex for each new generation, whereas they already have the assets and data for all of the clothing present in XY. They'd have literally no excuse for taking it out.

Difference here is that they would have to redo the assests for every single Pokémon in the ever-growing Dex for each new generation, whereas they already have the assets and data for all of the clothing present in XY. They'd have literally no excuse for taking it out.

That is assuming that they would keep the XY clothes and not just make completely new clothes.

Wichu

They reused the HG/SS overworld sprites in B/W for the Entree Forest, and added new ones for 5th gen mons in B2/W2. It's a valid excuse for X/Y, but B/W's overworld art style was similar enough to HG/SS's that the sprites still worked.

Busaiku

But it's not the same models.

Gen V had overworld sprites for every Pokémon in the game, thanks to the Entree Forest. Why they couldn't follow you, the world will never know.

I understand the story reasons for it early on, but there should have been a point where you decided to listen to what N had to say. Let your Pokémon out to get some fresh air and all.

Gen VI gets a pass for now but, at the very least, Pokémon of a certain size should be able to follow you in 3D. Quite a few Pokémon had overworld 3D models, like the Litleo and Marill sitting outside the daycare.

Salvadora

Wouldn't be the first time they've removed an extremely well-received feature from the next installment.

Just sayin', be prepared.

RedSwirl

No, you have to beat the Gen V games before IV-V transferal is possible.

And I can only transfer them into the next generation up?

Man. Might as well not delete that guy's save file at all. In Gen V is there still a way to play a new file without saving?

Top Bottom