• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Takashi

How do you change your location on the PSS? I remember stumbling across something about privacy settings a long time ago, but I don't remember how I got to that whether it was in the game or one of the 3ds menus.

-Horizon-

Spr_RS_Swimmer_M.png
That pose still cracks me up.

Wichu

How do you change your location on the PSS? I remember stumbling across something about privacy settings a long time ago, but I don't remember how I got to that whether it was in the game or one of the 3ds menus.

I think it uses your 3DS region setting. Not sure whether it's locked in when you start a save file or can be changed any time (Vivillon pattern is definitely locked in when you start a new game).

Takashi

I think it uses your 3DS region setting. Not sure whether it's locked in when you start a save file or can be changed any time (Vivillon pattern is definitely locked in when you start a new game).

Ah thanks. I couldn't find anything before cause I kept searching for PSS stuff, but googling region settings helped.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Well, that was the best 1hour Pokemon special I've watched. Anime really is pumping my expectations.

Also

hZOh1LD.jpg

Boss Doggie

Here's the opening btw

Episodes are really hype (it's a 2 ep/1 hr special). And well, it's not Korrina and her Lucario joining, but the other way around.

b42.gif

Giving your boring friends the Gen 1 starters? :O

They've been improving the game characters in XY anime, can't wait to see what they do with these three!

As a joke, I wonder if they'll all join the "Ashbowl".

Boss Doggie

asddafasdfasaf

rZVoWJY.gif

I'm not sure what the best place to ask is so I'll try here first. Does anyone have any idea how I can get my hands on some of this Pokemon WorldCup merchandise?

My girlfriend demands to know.

iirc they're not overseas yet

Bulbasaur

Banned
I know it may be a long shot but does anyone have a Turtwig with the hidden ability Rock Solid they'd be willing to trade? Are we even able to access the Torterra lines HA yet? I'm not sure.

-Horizon-

Which Pokemon is generally harder to catch in Platinum: Mesprit or Cresselia?

They're both roaming pokemon (I think) so they both suck to catch in general lol. I think Mesprit was easier for me, used the least amount of dusk and ultra balls to catch it.
Bulbapedia says they both have the same catch rate though.

Busaiku

Woah, an actual Pokemon supervillain, and not just a misguided one.
I'm not sure what the best place to ask is so I'll try here first. Does anyone have any idea how I can get my hands on some of this Pokemon WorldCup merchandise?

My girlfriend demands to know.
They're on Pokevault, but they're $45 each.

RedSwirl

So I'm in gym 8 in SouksSikver and am only just learning what the Berry Pots do.

I've been making so many oversights like this I've basically ruined my experience with the Gen IV games.

So I'm in gym 8 in SouksSikver and am only just learning what the Berry Pots do.

I've been making so many oversights like this I've basically ruined my experience with the Gen IV games.

Berry Pots are great. Taking your berries with you was a lot more convenient than going to specific places in the region.

X/Y's solution is great too due to the amount of berries you can grow at once and that it's easily accessable. Hope they do a similar thing in OR/AS.

So I dunno if this is where to put this, but I'm attempting to make a game. First map I've ever made and I know it's rough and needs work, but I was curious as to whether anyone had an idea as to how to incorporate a gate into the southern part of the town with someone you need to fight guarding it.

bddfd25db179190951b29a1759e6edbf.png

I can add the gate, obviously, but I'm stuck on how to blend the area around it in with it.

Item in the pond will be something decent since they need to come back to it. Top right will lead somewhere important in the plot later on.

As I said, I know it's rough and I plan on working on it, but that's my sticking point as of now.

Thoughts?

Takashi

So do you need to use all the HMs to get to the Pokemon league in SoulsSilver? How many HM slaves do I need to bring?!

If you mean from New Bark Town all the way to Indigo Plateau, then I think you only need Surf, Strength, and Waterfall. Whirlpool is optional if you want to access other areas in the route iirc. I think Gyarados can learn all of those too.

Just beat Brandon for the first time in Emerald :) . Traveling the Battle Pyramid wasn't as hard as I remember. Now I have two Silver Frontier Symbols(in addition to my first one from the Battle Pike). I'll probably go after my third at the Battle Tower.

789shadow

Banned
Does anyone have an extra Cresselia lying around they could give me? I would really, REALLY like to just chuck a Master Ball at Mesprit in Platinum and then transfer all my Pokemon up.

So I dunno if this is where to put this, but I'm attempting to make a game. First map I've ever made and I know it's rough and needs work, but I was curious as to whether anyone had an idea as to how to incorporate a gate into the southern part of the town with someone you need to fight guarding it.

bddfd25db179190951b29a1759e6edbf.png

I can add the gate, obviously, but I'm stuck on how to blend the area around it in with it.

Item in the pond will be something decent since they need to come back to it. Top right will lead somewhere important in the plot later on.

As I said, I know it's rough and I plan on working on it, but that's my sticking point as of now.

Thoughts?

What are you making it with?

CorvoSol

Pokemon X

I feel like every Pokemon has that iconic, big deal moment that just really sticks with it, you know? One or two. Like in Red and Blue it was obviously discovering that Blue was the Champion, and personally also the discovery that Mewtwo was the product of horrific, torturous experiments. In GSC it's that duel atop Mt. Silver against Red. In RSE it's the awakening of the version legendary. DPPt maybe not so much for me, but I'm sure others have it. B/W its that castle emerging and the discovery of just how deep Ghetsis' evil runs.

But holy crap was I not expecting what I am now pretty sure is this game's big deal moment.
The old man in Lysandre's little jail cell tells you a story of a man who, in grief and rage murdered Pokemon to bring his own back to life, only to lose it a second time, more deeply because he could not let his anger go and used his WMD to end a war immediately.
The sudden shift to this sort of storybook animation, the sad music, and just the weight of a story about
a war waged by Pokemon and a Weapon of Mass Destruction and Eldritch Power and the death and second loss of a beloved friend
in a Pokemon game was such a surprise that I was caught entirely off-guard and really kinda moved.

And I know this isn't the first time this has been covered.
Death of Pokemon
was in the first game, after all, and fates worse than that. Pokemon Colosseum's plot was all about
Pokemon being abused to the point of their hearts filling with hatred and evil, and the hero himself was a thief.
And hell, in Pokemon Conquest,
Nobunaga's entire plan to destroy Ransei revolves around the fact that Pokemon are being used for war, which implies the same violence that Pokemon X's war is being hinted at,
but the way the story is told this time around is just a really sort of powerful, unexpectedly emotional moment in a series where oftentimes the villains get off with nothing more than a stern admonishment from the authorities, departing for parts unknown.

I don't know that I find this game's villain anywhere near as evil as the likes of Ghetsis or Cyrus, but I'll be damned if they haven't just done an amazing job of really driving home how much of a mistake he's about to make is, and how high the cost of that is for all involved.

Seriously kinda blown away by the fact that I'm having this reaction to the plot of a Pokemon game, if you take my meaning.

*snip*

Thoughts?

Looks alright but there's a few tile errors. The heightened platform that has the house on it is missing its back termination tile to indicate the end of the platform. The ponds do not have a proper border at their bottom.

Edit: I'd also recommended switching up the grass tiles a bit. It really sticks out when every grass tile is the exact same one.

Top Bottom