• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

JoeM86

For those thinking Pokémon's popularity is dying down, the latest movie has started outperforming last year's

In the first 16 days:
Genesect and the Legend Awakened did 1,444,364,684¥
Diancie & The Cocoon of Destruction did 1,469,523,700¥

This is after starting off slower, despite being #1 in Japan. Though it did face up against the most recent Studio Ghibli movie, which came out the same day.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
pokemonjp seems to be really proud of it since they plastered the NUMBER1!!!11!! logo whenever it showed up in a commercial lol

Caladrius

It's pretty sad to go to the earlier pages of this thread and see all the people who used to be active in this thread that don't even post here anymore... Pookeyman community, wai you die like dis?

Probably a mixture of the X/Y OT and it no longer being the start of a new generation.

Though it did face up against the most recent Studio Ghibli movie, which came out the same day.

Don't you mean last?

For those thinking Pokémon's popularity is dying down, the latest movie has started outperforming last year's

In the first 16 days:

This is after starting off slower, despite being #1 in Japan. Though it did face up against the most recent Studio Ghibli movie, which came out the same day.

People just love Magical Girl rocks.

lupinko

In the first 16 days:

Well it is the only way to get DLC err Diancie after all.

And Marnie >>>>>>>>>>>> Diancie.

Firestorm

In the first 16 days:

How is it doing compared to the first three movies in the series?

aj1467

Started reading Pokemon Adventures for the first time on Sunday and I can't stop! Read the whole of the Red/Green/Blue and Yellow chapters so far.

Must. Keep. Reading. *-*

Onto G/S/C!

Boss Doggie

Apparently Ash enjoys the company of pokemon women

944.gif

Dereck

Today I figured out that certain gym leaders in Pokemon Red were hard because I made them hard.

Misty's Starmie is powerful, but it can be put to rest. I was trying to beast through Misty with a lvl 20 Fearow, Pikachu, and Charmander.

What I did not realize is that, the problem is that I was allowing Starmie to use Water Pulse when I never had to.

This dumb girl kept using harden on Staryu, so I kept using Double Team with Pikachu, and then I zapped that motherfucker and it died.

As soon as Starmie came in, it tried to spam Water Pulse, it hit me once, but before it could kill me, I paralyzed that motherfucker. I swapped out Pikachu for Charmander, gave Pikachu a Super Potion, and then let Charmander die, brought Pikachu back in.

The Starmie kept missing and then I killed it even after it kept spamming recover.

When I played Pokemon Red in the past I would go into every gym and spam whatever attack was the strongest, no potions, no status effects, no strategy.

Now let's see if I can do the same thing when I fight Whitney and Elesa again.

JoeM86

How is it doing compared to the first three movies in the series?

You really want to compare it to when it was in fad status?

Sigh, ok, but I'm doing all of them and yes, there is a decline. There are no figures for the first four actually

In the first 16 days:
Pokémon Heroes did 1,056,983,360¥
Jirachi - Wish Maker did 2,129,996,907¥
Destiny Deoxys did 2,135,608,091¥
Lucario & The Mystery of Mew did 2,006,096,288¥
Pokémon Ranger & The Temple of the Sea did 1,556,335,533¥
The Rise of Darkrai did 2,378,409,251¥
Giratina and the Sky Warrior did 2,609,345,204¥
Arceus and the Jewel of life did 2,584,097,685¥
Zoroark and the Master of Illusions did 1,767,633,536¥
Pokémon Black/White: Zekrom/Reshiram and Victini did 1,940,054,736¥
Kyurem and the Sword of Justice did 1,610,961,286¥

It's worth noting that it always comes in the top few of the charts and is always one of the highest in the box office for the entire year

There's always someone like you in a crowd. Can't we have a win?

Caladrius

Sigh, ok, but I'm doing all of them and yes, there is a decline. There are no figures for the first four actually

In the first 16 days:

It's worth noting that it always comes in the top few of the charts and is always one of the highest in the box office for the entire year

There's always someone like you in a crowd. Can't we have a win?

*Sees Giratina and the Sky warrior is the highest grossing for the period.*

tumblr_m9uzh81Lny1qkhhyto1_400.gif

Boss Doggie

In the movie they do, that one is a princess.

Also I've never taken the lack of a gender on legendaries as genderless, I always took it as gender unknown.

This one. unknown gender =/= genderless.

Does this mean Oak peeked beneath Heatran but not the other mons?

Well I meant can we have some positive news rather than have it beaten down because it doesn't match the first figures

So what you're saying is that you'd rather pretend that Pokemon hasn't seen a decline than live in the real world? Comparing just the Gen IV and V numbers to the Gen VI numbers there is a clear decline, just like with the games. It's not super massive, but it's there and there is no need to pretend that it doesn't exist.

MegaMelon

Pokémon Heroes did 1,056,983,360¥
Jirachi - Wish Maker did 2,129,996,907¥

Holy shit that huge leap in numbers. I love Jirachi but bloody hell that's ridiculously good numbers considering the movie was goodish.

JoeM86

So what you're saying is that you'd rather pretend that Pokemon hasn't seen a decline than live in the real world? Comparing just the Gen IV and V numbers to the Gen VI numbers there is a clear decline, just like with the games. It's not super massive, but it's there and there is no need to pretend that it doesn't exist.

Yes :p

I just don't see why it had to be brought up.

However, aside from the first two movies, everything has been level in the finals. Lowest being Pokémon Heroes at 2,607,000,000, highest being Darkrai at 5,000,000,000. It fluctuates between 3,000,000 and 5,000,000 otherwise

To clarify (rounded up)

Mewtwo Strikes Back: 7,240,000,000円 - Highest position in charts: #3
The Power of One: 6,000,000,000円 - Highest position in charts: #2
The Spell of Unown: 4,850,000,000円 - Highest position in charts: #2
Celebi: A Timeless Encounter: 3,900,000,000円 - Highest position in charts: #2
Pokémon Heroes: 2,607,000,000円 - Highest position in charts #4
Jirachi: Wish Maker: 4,500,000,000円 - Highest position in charts: #3
Destiny Deoxys: 4,380,000,000円 - Highest position in charts: #2
Lucario and the Mystery of Mew: 4,300,000,000円 - Highest position in charts: #2
Pokémon Ranger & The Temple of the Sea: 3,400,000,000円 - Highest position in charts: #2
Rise of Darkrai: 5,020,000,000円 - Highest position in charts: #1
Giratina & The Sky Warrior: 4,800,000,000円 - Highest position in charts: #2
Arceus & The Jewel of Life: 4,670,000,000円 - Highest position in charts: #3
Zoroark - Master of Illusion: 4,160,000,000円 - Highest position in charts: #2
Pokémon Black/White the Movie: 4,300,000,000円 - Highest position in charts: #2
Kyurem & The Sword of Justice: 3,610,000,000円 - Highest position in charts: #2
Genesect and the Legend Awakened: 3,170,000,000円 - Highest position in charts: #2

It's worth noting that this movie premiered in #1.

Caladrius

It's the worst of the first seven movies, I haven't watched anything past Deoxys movie though :/

Manaphy and the Temple of the Sea was much worse. That was the last Pokemon film I saw.

I kind of want to watch the first two Diamond and Pearl movies though.

Destiny Deoxys was my favorite. Just wanted to say that.

Ditto. They did a fantastic job of portraying the pokemon in the movie, and there's no bullshit human antagonist to chew up screentime away from the pokemon. Deoxys isn't my favorite Mewtwo clone, but it's pretty close thanks to that film.

-Horizon-

Me too. Deoxys and Munchlax are two of my main men, so seeing 'em both together doing their respective things made the movie for me. Rayquaza was pretty darn cool, too.

The fight yo, that fight. Hyper beam to the face.
And just wrecking the battle tower.

Manaphy and the Temple of the Sea was much worse. That was the last Pokemon film I saw.

I kind of want to watch the first two Diamond and Pearl movies though.

Ditto. They did a fantastic job of portraying the pokemon in the movie, and there's no bullshit human antagonist to chew up screentime away from the pokemon. Deoxys isn't my favorite Mewtwo clone, but it's pretty close thanks to that film.

The Darkrai movie was pretty good I think.

Busaiku

I don't even remember what happens in any of the movies.
But Jirachi is the best legendary, so that's probably the best movie.

lupinko

The Diancie movie is horrible but it had Delphox acting like Scooby Doo in MC Hammer pants. Also it gave me Diancie in my games so really I just paid for DLC.

MSB is still the best because Mew doesn't take Mewtwo's shit.

Lol Mew sending back an even bigger shadow ball back.

I'm back again for XY The Second since that will likely be Hoopa's movie.

And Hoopa > Diancie.

Actually potato sack > Diancie.

Dereck

I think it was trolling on Game Freak's behalf to not make Golduck Water/Psychic.

Or maybe a smart move on their behalf, not sure.

I think it was trolling on Game Freak's behalf to not make Golduck Water/Psychic.

Or maybe a smart move on their behalf, not sure.
Yeah, Psyduck and Golduck have always bothered me. Both of their Pokedex entries make reference to having Psychic powers and you also have Psyduck's headaches/the gem on Golduck's forehead, yet both are pure water. In addition, in both English and Japanese, "Golduck" share the same name, but yet of course it's Psyduck that's the golden one, not Golduck (and the only way Bulbapedia makes sense of the name is as some type of reference to the Psychic-type, again despite it being pure Water). Just so freakin' weird. If Game Freak's purpose with those two was to try and give people the same headaches that plague Psyduck, well, it's certainly working! xD

Caladrius

Someone had to be tripping hard when they made Mega Salamence.

The Hoenn Megas so far seem by and large a lot better than the X/Y ones. They seem more about changing the focus and dynamic of the pokemon as opposed to tacking more onto the designs. Like, there were a few X/Y Megas that did that, but just as many didn't whereas drastic retools have been the rule here.

-Horizon-

The Hoenn Megas so far seem by and large a lot better than the X/Y ones. They seem more about changing the focus and dynamic of the pokemon as opposed to tacking more onto the designs. Like, there were a few X/Y Megas that did that, but just as many didn't whereas drastic retools have been the rule here.

Btasbatwing.jpg

Mega Salamence has to be my least favorite Mega. I always liked the idea behind Salamence but thought the execution was off. I was hoping his Mega would fix that... but then we got the Batwing.

Top Bottom