• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Busaiku

Has Gamefreak ever made a mainline (not the remake) game invalid a year after its release?
I mean you could still trade and battle with Fire Red, Ruby, and Emerald, right?
As well as Heart Gold, Diamond, and Platinum?

This whole situation seems like an absolute mess.

Teknoman

Has Gamefreak ever made a mainline (not the remake) game invalid a year after its release?
I mean you could still trade and battle with Fire Red, Ruby, and Emerald, right?
As well as Heart Gold, Diamond, and Platinum?

This whole situation seems like an absolute mess.

You should be able to trade and battle just fine. Its that you cant transfer mega stones?

-Horizon-

Probably gonna go with Treecko this time. I've never actually finished a game with a grass starter but I really don't want to waste time with Team Aqua.

Teknoman

Can't use any new items/moves/megas in battle with XY. Totally ridiculous since that doesn't even require a patch if gamefreak actually knew how to make games. :\

Really? That was confirmed? So does it give you a warning or something before battling or trading?

That would be pretty annoying to set up a fight with a friend or someone online, only to have some message pop at the last minute, or an X across the icon...

Really? That was confirmed? So does it give you a warning or something before battling or trading?

That would be pretty annoying to set up a fight with a friend or someone online, only to have some message pop at the last minute, or an X across the icon...

that's what serebii currently states as fact. Apparently it comes from a gamefreak official statement, so I'm inclined to believe it. No clue about how it stops things though. Guessing it works like Gen 1/2 where it just tells you that one of your pokemon isn't eligible.

brinstar

If you want to use the OR/AS-related stuff online, there's an OR/AS league you can select that will only set you up with other OR/AS players... so I don't think that's really going to be much of an issue

Teknoman

that's what serebii currently states as fact. Apparently it comes from a gamefreak official statement, so I'm inclined to believe it. No clue about how it stops things though. Guessing it works like Gen 1/2 where it just tells you that one of your pokemon isn't eligible.

And I thought Game Freak cannot get any stupider.

If you want to use the OR/AS-related stuff online, there's an OR/AS league you can select that will only set you up with other OR/AS players... so I don't think that's really going to be much of an issue

I suppose...but that does put a kinda damper on the whole thing, especially in this day and age. I mean i'm still getting the game since i'll feel like a whole new adventure, and i'm sure most people i'll fight against will have ORAS regardless...but it just feels off.

I can understand not being able to access the stones in XY, but not having the data to fight, not so much. Oh well.

Im surprised Raticate hasn't received a mega yet.

JoeM86

Yep. http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/ac78b42b-6759-441d-8da1-5f3116defe06

When trading, it will likely give the message it gives you when trying to trade the Discount Coupon

I'm just wondering if there will be a note saying as to what game the person on the PSS is playing so you can prepare accordingly

Yep. http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/ac78b42b-6759-441d-8da1-5f3116defe06

When trading, it will likely give the message it gives you when trying to trade the Discount Coupon

I'm just wondering if there will be a note saying as to what game the person on the PSS is playing so you can prepare accordingly

Since I have an account now, I gotta say it's weird talking to the person who's site I've used for the majority of my life :lol.
I think gamefreak will make the warnings clear. They're bad at the technical stuff, but I find usually things are pretty clear in-game. I'm just hoping they actually give us a VGC ladder in-game, since they've been promoting the scene more.
No chance

JoeM86

Since I have an account now, I gotta say it's weird talking to the person who's site I've used for the majority of my life :lol.
I think gamefreak will make the warnings clear. They're bad at the technical stuff, but I find usually things are pretty clear in-game. I'm just hoping they actually give us a VGC ladder in-game, since they've been promoting the scene more.
No chance

If my theory for VGC2015 is correct, then the ΩR/αS League (Battle Spot Rating Battle on ORAS) will essentially have a VGC ladder as its Doubles option. National Pokédex. Gen VI native. No main legends. This would make Double Battle on Battle Spot Rating Battle the go-to place for VGC training.

But we won't know the rules until December, so who knows.

I'm also glad you like the site :) Hope you stick with it!

If my theory for VGC2015 is correct, then the ΩR/αS League will essentially be a VGC ladder. Doubles. National Pokédex. Gen VI native. No main legends.

That's my guess as well. I didn't realize the or/as league would use that ruleset, though. if it does i"ll be very happy. sick of cresselia/blaziken/thundurus in battlespot when my team isn't designed to deal with them.

I see. Thank you. I'll probably trade the trapinch to Y and twink it to evolution.

Looks like my Alpha Sapphire team is probably going to be Sceptile, Gallade, Gardevoir, Aggron, Crawdaunt and Flygon.

Acceptable choices.

I guess I'm gonna go with and keeping with Hoenn Pokemon only:

Exploud
Manectric
Altaria
Glalie
Gardevoir
Breloom or Hariyama

Caladrius

Acceptable choices.

I guess I'm gonna go with and keeping with Hoenn Pokemon only:

Exploud
Manectric
Altaria
Glalie
Gardevoir
Breloom or Hariyama

Yeah, I tend to stick to region exclusives, at least on a first playthrough. The only consistent exceptions are Gallade (being my favorite regular poke), Starmie (Who's also one of my favorites and insanely useful if I can be arsed to catch Staryu) and Crobat (who is basically a staple of mine since Ruby and Sapphire and consistently an MVP).

And Manectric wouldn't be a bad choice if I ever get to do an Omega Ruby playthrough...

spiritfox

Probably reuse my Emerald Team: Blaziken, Gardevoir, Manectric, Absol, Flygon, Milotic.

Then again, I used most of them in X/Y, so I might change them up.

Caladrius

Probably reuse my Emerald Team: Blaziken, Gardevoir, Manectric, Absol, Flygon, Milotic.

Then again, I used most of them in X/Y, so I might change them up.

I was considering doing the same thing for nostalgia purposes but then I realized I didn't like Ludicolo and Swellow to begin with. > __ >

And it's good to try different pokemon you've overlooked before.

harmonize

that last outfit of her's got me thinking:

next gen, I want Ash's female companion to be a Pokemon hipster. have her constantly rag on him for using the franchise's mascot and other popular pokemon, which he'll have plenty of since he serves as the character that pushes merchandise for new and popular pokemon. bring his Charizard back solely so she can make snide remarks about how he only likes it because he grew up with it.

and have her starter be, like, a Relicanth or something. seriously just have the most obscure pokemon make up her team.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
that last outfit of her's got me thinking:

next gen, I want Ash's female companion to be a Pokemon hipster. have her constantly rag on him for using the franchise's mascot and other popular pokemon, which he'll have plenty of since he serves as the character that pushes merchandise for new and popular pokemon. bring his Charizard back solely so she can make snide remarks about how he only likes it because he grew up with it.

and have her starter be, like, a Relicanth or something. seriously just have the most obscure pokemon make up her team.

That's like churning out an Iris only more annoying

harmonize

That's like churning out an Iris only more annoying
it's brilliant isn't it?

have her not want to use any pokemon from Kanto either as she deems them "too popular", and have her rival be a huge genwunner while competing with her solely with Kanto pokemon and decreeing that the rest are "inferior trash". Make sure both of them respectively have a Vanilluxe and Electrode on their team so the two can trot out the "but it's a fucking ice cream cone! / it's just a rolling Pokeball!" remarks while battling.

getting meta is exactly what the anime needs to be fresh, the money is on the table writers.

Man, Meta Metagross looks weird with those eight arms. :lol

As for my team, Swampert, Salamence and Gardevoir are definitely in. Might get Blaziken and Manectric too. Probably round off with Aggron.

I also want to transfer my shiny Rayquaza to the game so it can Mega evolve.

Should probably get my perfect aforementioned Pokémon in X/Y to breed some eggs and transfer them, but I think I'll wait until after I've finished the main story.

Boss Doggie

it's brilliant isn't it?

have her not want to use any pokemon from Kanto either as she deems them "too popular", and have her rival be a huge genwunner while competing with her solely with Kanto pokemon and decreeing that the rest are "inferior trash". Make sure both of them respectively have a Vanilluxe and Electrode on their team so the two can trot out the "but it's a fucking ice cream cone! / it's just a rolling Pokeball!" remarks while battling.

getting meta is exactly what the anime needs to be fresh, the money is on the table writers.

No, that would be terrible. Honestly it's fine as it is - just make the battles more interesting and the characters be bearable (which XY is doing). Trying to make the anime "fresh" is a poor goal and is best just to make a different series altogether for that.

And honestly a character who just nags is really grating to the ears. Iris is terrible both in English and Japanese.

I also blame the dubbing. TPCi really, really blows and there's a lack of effort in Pokemon dub. Removed audio, context of lines being changed (mirror world Serena for instance is pretty much a "Southerner" yokel), there's just so much wrong in the dub.

now we idol here

I'm completely ok now with Serena wanting to be an idol

Hopefully she starts catching more things now she has a Pancham

to be fair she only caught Pancham because it wanted to perform

harmonize

lol jeez Boss I'm joking, I think you're being a little too high-strung from that other conversation if you think I actually want a hipster character in Pokemon.

Anyways, I'll just catch what I find instead going in with a pre-planned team on AS. I know I'm starting with Torchic and I'll probably grab an Aron when the time comes, but beyond that I'll decide when I run into them.

Boss Doggie

lol jeez Boss I'm joking, I think you're being a little too high-strung from that other conversation if you think I actually want a hipster character in Pokemon.

Pokemon discussion just fires me up, and I don't even like Charizard.

So I have a question about the widespread complaints about lowered difficulty in X and Y. Were pokemon games ever hard? They have the most forgiving checkpoint system ever and as soon as you know the type chart you're basically untouchable. X and Y took a lot of the grind out of it, but that's not difficulty, that's artificial game-lengthening.

So I have a question about the widespread complaints about lowered difficulty in X and Y. Were pokemon games ever hard? They have the most forgiving checkpoint system ever and as soon as you know the type chart you're basically untouchable. X and Y took a lot of the grind out of it, but that's not difficulty, that's artificial game-lengthening.

No, Black and White took out the grind, XY basically took out the gameplay.

Issue with XY was that the pacing was off. The game wasn't necessarily easier per se, it's just that since the last half of the game was such a ridiculous pace, if you got a bit overleveled (which you definitely did if you used the XPshare) then you'd cruise.

Issue with XY was that the pacing was off. The game wasn't necessarily easier per se, it's just that since the last half of the game was such a ridiculous pace, if you got a bit overleveled (which you definitely did if you used the XPshare) then you'd cruise.

To add onto this, there was a long stretch between the first and second gym, lulling the player into believing the pace will be the same between the other gyms. In my opinion, I thought it was cool that it took forever to get to the second gym.

However, past the third gym, everything becomes a blur because the game is now rushing you into the gyms to get to the Elite Four.

To add onto this, there was a long stretch between the first and second gym, lulling the player into believing the pace will be the same between the other gyms. In my opinion, I thought it was cool that it took forever to get to the second gym.

However, past the third gym, everything becomes a blur because the game is now rushing you into the gyms to get to the Elite Four.

Exactly. I actually think gen 3 has the best pacing
(though I think BW2 are probably better, I like gen 3 more :lol)
so I'm psyched for the remakes.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I like longer distances between gyms too, it makes the world feel a lot bigger.

Firestorm

No chance
Especially based on what the Hoenn Dex is looking to be, a lot of us are expecting it to be National Dex with Pentagon requirement I think so the Doubles ORAS ladder should be fine. If not I'm going to be annoyed as shit.

Especially based on what the Hoenn Dex is looking to be, a lot of us are expecting it to be National Dex with Pentagon requirement I think so the Doubles ORAS ladder should be fine. If not I'm going to be annoyed as shit.

That's certainly the consensus on nugget bridge, and it makes sense. I'm looking forward to Sun being dominant
/s

**Realizing I totally misread the OR/AS requirements. Wasn't including the XY dex in my mind. This makes more sense.

Top Bottom