• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

qq more

Because someone posted up a terribly thought out way to execute a concept?

There's plenty of greedy corporations that would do such things. Even Capcom has done it to their Mega Man X iOS remake.

I'm soooo glad Nintendo is seriously against that shit.

JoeM86

Indeed. It, and the abuse of DLC, are the things I hate most in the gaming industry at the moment. Nintendo thankfully, at least at the moment, does DLC that is substantial.

NeonZ

Indeed. It, and the abuse of DLC, are the things I hate most in the gaming industry at the moment. Nintendo thankfully, at least at the moment, does DLC that is substantial.

Nintendo's DLC is still pretty variable at this point. They did the big Luigi pack for NSMBU, but had individual stages for NSMB2 and Fire Emblem Awakening.

JoeM86

Nintendo's DLC is still pretty variable at this point. They did the big Luigi pack for NSMBU, but had individual stages for NSMB2 and Fire Emblem Awakening.

NSMB2's DLC was very cheap and offered 3 stages per pack, not individual. I can't speak for Fire Emblem, but from what I'm given to understand, that DLC is still relatively substantial

Kokonoe

Banned
I'd say they could use DLC to make third/sequel games, but they'd make less money that way. Perhaps they could make it 20$ for previous owners and then 30$ for the actual cartridge like NSMBU: Luigi.

DaBoss

Fire Emblem DLC was just fanservice and some of it was easy mode. It wasn't all that great and was pretty expensive, IIRC. About $5 for each thing and you get a character along with a battle.

Fire Emblem DLC was just fanservice and some of it was easy mode. It wasn't all that great and was pretty expensive, IIRC. About $5 for each thing and you get a character along with a battle.

Hm? FE DLC was great! $2.50 for a decently substantial map that offered some great bonuses (i.e. Characters with otherwise-unobtainable skill combinations or amazing skills like Limit Breaker and Paragon), fleshed-out additional story content for narrative fans, and hardcore challenges to put your skills to the test. They could even be bought in packs of 3 for $6 if you were a fan of an entire series of maps. There were admittedly a few stinkers here and there, but judging by the community response to FE's DLC in general, it was a smart move on Nintendo's part.

JoeM86

I'd say they could use DLC to make third/sequel games, but they'd make less money that way. Perhaps they could make it 20$ for previous owners and then 30$ for the actual cartridge like NSMBU: Luigi.

I see Pokémon DLC for main games being the same, but more advance, as it is now. We'll get event Pokémon through SpotPass (downloadable manually if you do so wish). Through the Global Link, we'll be able to customise stuff like the PSS interface etc. Perhaps get new clothes for our characters through promotions. All free of course.

Then, when the enhanced version/sequel/whatever they do next comes out, we'll get a free bit of DLC/patchwork that adds any new forms into X & Y.

I also hope that the Mythical Pokémon for the Kalos region aren't added until after they are announced, just through patches that are required to go online, and propagate when you wirelessly connect akin to the Berry Glitch fix in Ruby & Sapphire. This would make the reveals amazing once again. Last year, I was so sick of some of the responses when Nintendo revealed them. Things like "I have one already", "Show us a new generation" "I already know about these" and so forth.

DaBoss

Hm? FE DLC was great! $2.50 for a decently substantial map that offered some great bonuses (i.e. Characters with otherwise-unobtainable skill combinations or amazing skills like Limit Breaker and Paragon), fleshed-out additional story content for narrative fans, and hardcore challenges to put your skills to the test. They could even be bought in packs of 3 for $6 if you were a fan of an entire series of maps. There were admittedly a few stinkers here and there, but judging by the community response to FE's DLC in general, it was a smart move on Nintendo's part.

Well damn, I must have misremembered everything about it lol. I haven't gotten any DLC other than the first one you have to pay for. That does sound alright.

Keyouta

I also hope that the Mythical Pokémon for the Kalos region aren't added until after they are announced, just through patches that are required to go online, and propagate when you wirelessly connect akin to the Berry Glitch fix in Ruby & Sapphire. This would make the reveals amazing once again. Last year, I was so sick of some of the responses when Nintendo revealed them. Things like "I have one already", "Show us a new generation" "I already know about these" and so forth.

Yes, this will be amazing. Any new pokemon they reveal in the coming years to fill out the generation will be brand new. That's exciting, because even if the 3DS and game is hacked and information obtained, there'd be no data for the pokemon that would be later added in through DLC.

Slermy

I'm guessing we'll see two types of DLC: Unique trainer clothing and special consumable items (berries) and battles like they did with the eReader cards back in the GBA days.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I would like to know if we will ever know version exclusive pokemon for X and Y before release date? If games didn't even leak out.

qq more

That would be cool, even if it isn't an actual sequel like Luigi U. I wonder how well Luigi U sold, I wouldn't mind seeing more expansions like that.

Heck, Sega should pull another Sonic & Knuckles and make a DLC expansion to a game to includes double the content w/ playable Tails and Knuckles and have them playable in all zones (just like Sonic 3 & Knuckles!).

JoeM86

The way I see it, if you ignore the narrator at the start of BW, then the whole dispute of Ash's age is rendered useless as that is the only time his age has been mentioned since the first episode.

There have been several mentions to a couple of years having passed, and the animators draw Ash much more maturely, and even have him act more mature (contrary to popular belief in the western Pokémon fandom)

Seriously, look how much he has changed. Goes clockwise: Original, AG, DP, BW then XY in the middle.

A1yCNHW.jpg

The only thing that skews it a bit is the change in Ash's eyes in BW to match the style they had been using for a while

They really don't. Episodes are animated six months prior to airing. They're at least 12 episodes into XY, production wise.

Plus, it'd just be the same stuff with a new character.

But the characterizations they've been giving Ash might actually make sense if it were someone new to Pokemon.

So I guess no one know?

We'll probably know some of them, but nowhere near every single one. For example, IIRC, we knew that Reuniclus and Gothitelle were exclusive to White and Black respectively before launch, but we didn't know about say, Braviary and Mandibuzz being exclusives.

Theorymon

Here's something fun to talk about: Unlicensed Pokemon stuff

I swear, every pirated Pokemon product is always hilariously bad, like even more so than most pirate originals. here's two examples.

Pokemon Crazy Drummer

Pokemon II

It's not even just video games, look at THIS fucking thing! This somehow found a way to make Pikachu look like an abomination! I wonder how many kids pay to ride on this freak...

ss2013-06-22at01.32.2mes31.jpg

I swear, every pirated Pokemon product is always hilariously bad, like even more so than most pirate originals. here's two examples.

Pokemon Crazy Drummer

Pokemon II

It's not even just video games, look at THIS fucking thing! This somehow found a way to make Pikachu look like an abomination!

I've seen much better unlicensed stuff! This is the stuff of nightmares.

JoeM86

I would like to know if we will ever know version exclusive pokemon for X and Y before release date? If games didn't even leak out.

Typically, prior to launch of the game, we get informed of just a handful of version exclusive features, and that's all. The bulk isn't known until launch

PK Gaming

Pokemon Crazy Drummer

Pokemon II

It's not even just video games, look at THIS fucking thing! This somehow found a way to make Pikachu look like an abomination! I wonder how many kids pay to ride on this freak...

Jesus christ, that Pikachu ride is terrifying. I'm pretty sure i'd get nightmares if I saw it as a kid.

Keyouta

Shouldn't people living in North America, and along the same time zones be getting the Pokemon XY info today? The video Masuda made is being played on July 4th in Japan, isn't it?

Mariolee

So I'm trying to complete my Johto Pokedex in Heartgold and was wondering if anyone would want to help me with my trade of Poliwhirl (no King's Rock yet), Slowpoke (w/ King's Rock), and Seadra to evolve them, and then trade them back?

Top Bottom