• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
When do I get my Megastone?

You mean Keystone? Megastones are the held items for Pokemon and they're scattered all over the map (with a glowy effect on the floor), and you can find them even before you get your Keystone. The Keystone is the stone the trainer uses to mega evolve.

You get it after your first major Team fight iirc

Murkrow

Banned
You mean Keystone? Megastones are the held items for Pokemon and they're scattered all over the map (with a glowy effect on the floor), and you can find them even before you get your Keystone. The Keystone is the stone the trainer uses to mega evolve.

You get it after your first major Team fight iirc

No, I mean the megastone for Murkrow/Honchkrow.

k91191

Best place to find authentic Diamond and Platinum versions? I'm looking for complete sets of both. Looking to pay $30-$40ish each. I'm afraid of getting knock-offs.

lupinko

Best place to find authentic Diamond and Platinum versions? I'm looking for complete sets of both. Looking to pay $30-$40ish each. I'm afraid of getting knock-offs.

Your only bet is Craigslist from other gamers. Ebay is a crapshoot (and overpriced if real). That way you can also see the cart yourself (there's easy ways to tell from bootlegs, I learned this). The older games hold their value amazingly even the GBA ones do. Also the English games are more expensive than the Japanese ones.

And unrelated but is there any pokemon that can use Dynamic Punch effectively other than the Machamp family?

Caladrius

I regret trading in my English copy of Platinum. Didn't think about how much it would cost now. Least I still have the JP version.

And unrelated but is there any pokemon that can use Dynamic Punch effectively other than the Machamp family?

I think Golurk can learn it, though Iron Fist Golurk is preferred to No-Guard ones IIRC.

Teknoman

Your only bet is Craigslist from other gamers. Ebay is a crapshoot (and overpriced if real). That way you can also see the cart yourself (there's easy ways to tell from bootlegs, I learned this). The older games hold their value amazingly even the GBA ones do. Also the English games are more expensive than the Japanese ones.

Amazon should be ok since they're pretty good about giving people refunds. Of course you should message the seller to check to be sure. Either that or just hit up Nintendoage or GAF's own buy/sell/trade thread.

Impala26

If I were going to pick up one Pokemon game on the 3DS should it be X/Y or Omega Ruby/Alpha Saphire?

I'm enjoying the heck outta Omega Ruby, but then again I was late to the party with Gen 3 games. It is pretty fantastic seeing Hoenn in glorious 3D.

That said, X&Y are pretty durn awesome in their own right.

If you'd like an awesome nostalgia trip check out ORAS, but if you weren't really of fan of that Gen, it probably won't do much to change your opinion however. There are some pretty nifty features in ORAS though that actually expand a bit on X&Y, but lack of character customization kinda bummed me out.

You'd do no wrong with either frankly.

If I were going to pick up one Pokemon game on the 3DS should it be X/Y or Omega Ruby/Alpha Saphire?

ORAS
more postgame, more legends,better music,better villains,better cover legendaries,Mega Rayquaza,you can fight alongside Steven Stone,Wally,your rival,and whichever version Team Leader you have
and the Dexnav is the best thing to ever happen to Pokemon
also Battle Resort is Breeder Heaven
and all the X and Y megastones are in both versions
oh and VERY IMPORTANT Pokemon Lore for future games
not to mention we finally get to go to space

Refyref

I've been thinking about this lately. Is Hoenn the way it was because they Game Freak finally could do [insert thing here] with new hardware?

I guess a huge part of all the flaws of R/S came from the game having a fresh director, whose previous work was mostly just composing music. He eventually improved, but you can how it was his start.

Wichu

Just how dep is Pokémon lore at this point? Something tells me they have went into the deep end...

OR/AS jumped the shark. Delta Episode spoilers:
X/Y and OR/AS are in an alternate universe to the rest of the games, where the Fairy-type and Mega Evolution exists

X/Y and OR/AS are in an alternate universe to the rest of the games, where the Fairy-type and Mega Evolution exists

I haven't beaten the game yet, but from what I understand this isn't explicitly said, right? Also something Birch says earlier in the game goes against that.
He mentions that the diversity in kinds of Pokemon in Hoenn used to be much higher a long time ago but then something happened, just like in XY with Kalos and it was the Ultimate Weapon killing tons of Pokemon that did that. The alternate universe mentioned is one were the War 3,000 years ago never happened and so the Ultimate Weapon was never fired, but if the original RSE was in that universe there would be more Pokemon.

I haven't beaten the game yet, but from what I understand this isn't explicitly said, right? Also something Birch says earlier in the game goes against that.
He mentions that the diversity in kinds of Pokemon in Hoenn used to be much higher a long time ago but then something happened, just like in XY with Kalos and it was the Ultimate Weapon killing tons of Pokemon that did that. The alternate universe mentioned is one were the War 3,000 years ago never happened and so the Ultimate Weapon was never fired, but if the original RSE was in that universe there would be more Pokemon.

Zinnia explicitly says theirs an alternate universe Hoenn
and shes the literal lore keeper of Pokemon

Is it really an alternate universe if every game from here on out is in said universe? :p

lupinko

You can go for a super gimmicky set with a Gravity Metagross and Dynamic Punch and two other low accuracy moves, lol

Really?

There is a near adamant shiny 5iv spread I'm going to Rng in Ruby, iirc 31/31/30/31/31/6-7. I can do that to Beldum and do said gimmicky metagross. 252 Atk / 252 Spe or 252 HP for EVs?

That sounds really interesting. But yeah evolve to Metang and send to an Emerald to get Dynamic Punch.

Really?

There is a near adamant shiny 5iv spread I'm going to Rng in Ruby, iirc 31/31/30/31/31/6-7. I can do that to Beldum and do said gimmicky metagross. 252 Atk / 252 Spe or 252 HP for EVs?

That sounds really interesting. But yeah evolve to Metang and send to an Emerald to get Dynamic Punch.

There's no point in investing in Speed if you're not going to RNG 31 IVs in that stat, IMO. Stick to the bulky build unless you want to reroll for 31 Speed.

Boss Doggie

dat goomy

also this was an amazing filler episode, WWE and none-fake wrestling exists in Pokemon world apparently

733.gif

336.gif

Boss Doggie

http://voice.kids.yahoo.co.jp/theme/207

Taken from /vp/, according to Yahoo Japan XY anime is polled for number one kid's anime, which has been a rarity lately.

Some people are commenting saying
"Pokemon XY is on a whole new level of good"
"Pokemon XY makes up for the horrible pokemon BW for me. I'll forgive you (animators)"
"You gotta love pokemon!"
"Youkai watch is getting popular but pokemon is still my favorite"

Guys I have never played any Pokemon game, don't know why even though I enjoy jRPGs so where do you think I could start? Black/White or the latest ones?

Wichu

Guys I have never played any Pokemon game, don't know why even though I enjoy jRPGs so where do you think I could start? Black/White or the latest ones?

Latest is usually the best jumping-on point - the games' quality doesn't really vary much (they're all good and just as suited for beginners), and you get the benefit of an active online community (the multiplayer features are a core part of the series IMO).

Caladrius

It's hard to make any specific recommendations because opinions are all over the place.

Pretty much any game after Diamond and Pearl is a good starting point. (despite being mostly the same as Diamond and Pearl, Platinum can be a good starting point because it fixes most of DP's technical and balance problems.)

This thread feels pretty lewd right now.

Caladrius

To hell with -Ite

It's time for -Onium and -Ate to take over.

i don't think even a mega evolution could save meganium

mega meganium will be the mega cleric

Meganium would benefit greatly from either Grass/Steel typing or Drought.

I also had an idea where Meganium could also become Grass/Fire Type, but that would be too interesting so they'd never do it.

Actually seeing all three Johto starters get the Type that they're weak to would be neat.

Mega Meganium could easily be a very viable grass type tank with a unique ability of some kind that helps to make up for poor typing. A Drought/Drizzle ability for grassy terrain would be amazing

harmonize

No, it's been doing noticeably worse in Japan. The most recent XY episode we have a rating for, 49, drew a 4.6, while the 49th episode of BW and DP rated 5.9 and 7.9 respectively. The earlier episodes of XY also follow the same trend compared to the other two series.

Boss Doggie

No, it's been doing noticeably worse in Japan. The most recent XY episode we have a rating for, 49, drew a 4.6, while the 49th episode of BW and DP rated 5.9 and 7.9 respectively. The earlier episodes of XY also follow the same trend compared to the other two series.

Oh that, I thought you were referring to the US dub. Yeah it's a given, but it's no more different with Sentai or Kamen Rider going low, and no more reflective on the quality.

I find it weird that the high rated eps were Bonnie-centric for some odd reason though.

time to cancel the current anime and make a Pokemon Special anime

Do you want the ratings to go worse? :p

Top Bottom