• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Firestorm

Latest is usually the best jumping-on point - the games' quality doesn't really vary much (they're all good and just as suited for beginners), and you get the benefit of an active online community (the multiplayer features are a core part of the series IMO).
Yep. Correct advice.

Wichu

So Smogon just banned Mega Rayquaza to Mega Ubers
well, it's actually called Anything Goes but eh
. Ubers is finally a proper tier with a banlist etc (about time, considering the number of Pokémon playable only in Ubers has caught up to the number of Pokémon in OU).

I guess they're going to go back and test Mega Gengar, then - I remember there being a fair number of people that wanted it gone from Ubers.

So Smogon just banned Mega Rayquaza to Mega Ubers
well, it's actually called Anything Goes but eh
. Ubers is finally a proper tier with a banlist etc (about time, considering the number of Pokémon playable only in Ubers has caught up to the number of Pokémon in OU).

I guess they're going to go back and test Mega Gengar, then - I remember there being a fair number of people that wanted it gone from Ubers.
I was confused at first, but then I looked at MRayquaza (since I just got into the game).

Wow. It sounds like the sort of Pokemon you wouldn't even be able to use at Worlds, lol

For some reason I really like the music in ORAS. Anyone else? (Someone set up a reminder for me to grab the soundtrack when it comes out...if it isn't already out. On iTunes.)

For some reason I really like the music in ORAS. Anyone else? (Someone set up a reminder for me to grab the soundtrack when it comes out...if it isn't already out. On iTunes.)

it's pretty hit or miss with me. Really like some tracks, really underwhelmed by others.

lupinko

Any advice for my mild shiny Kyogre's EV distribtion?

It's the mild version of the smogon Scarf set.

Water Spout
Aqua Tail
Ice Beam
Thunder

It's your standard 4 hp / 252 spA / 252 spe

But because mine is mild and is making use of Aqua Tail, they noted it's best to put in 180 evs into Attack, now my question is, where is that going to come from? 180 Atk / 252 spA / 76 spe? I bring it up because I brought up this one from Emerald and I'm in the process of retraining it.

Caladrius

I was confused at first, but then I looked at MRayquaza (since I just got into the game).

Wow. It sounds like the sort of Pokemon you wouldn't even be able to use at Worlds, lol

Rayquaza is banned from VGC anyway, so eh.

I wonder if GF is just going to go ham with Mega Legendaries from here on out.

Any advice for my mild shiny Kyogre's EV distribtion?

It's the mild version of the smogon Scarf set.

Water Spout
Aqua Tail
Ice Beam
Thunder

It's your standard 4 hp / 252 spA / 252 spe

But because mine is mild and is making use of Aqua Tail, they noted it's best to put in 180 evs into Attack, now my question is, where is that going to come from? 180 Atk / 252 spA / 76 spe? I bring it up because I brought up this one from Emerald and I'm in the process of retraining it.

Well, Kyogre's main selling point is its Special attacks' killing power, and since you've got 3 special moves it seems like a waste not to invest the most you can into that.

I'm not familiar with Gen 6 Ubers (last I played was late Gen 5), but I'm under the impression that most of Kyogre's threats are from significantly faster pokemon anyway. Long as you've got checks for them Kyogre shouldn't be hampered all that much by less speed.

lupinko

Rayquaza is banned from VGC anyway, so eh.

I wonder if GF is just going to go ham with Mega Legendaries from here on out.

Well, Kyogre's main selling point is its Special attacks' killing power, and since you've got 3 special moves it seems like a waste not to invest the most you can into that.

I'm not familiar with Gen 6 Ubers (last I played was late Gen 5), but I'm under the impression that most of Kyogre's threats are from significantly faster pokemon anyway. Long as you've got checks for them Kyogre shouldn't be hampered all that much by less speed.

I could move the remaining EVs into HP instead of Spe given its nature.

Nightbird

Hi Guys!
My Account was approved yesterday, and now i can be Part of the Community too!

I consider myself a huge Pokémon-Fan. The second Game i ever played, and also the First i ever played through was the Blue Version, also ive been buying one of the Verisons every year since 2009, even though i am skipping out on ORAS right now.

Anyway, i hope we can come along with eachother fine and have a good Time :)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I must admit, most Pokemon music never clicked on me except for XY's.

On a related note, it's hard to find atypical Pokemon discussion without people mentioning TPP memes, made me cringe.

Hi Guys!
My Account was approved yesterday, and now i can be Part of the Community too!

I consider myself a huge Pokémon-Fan. The second Game i ever played, and also the First i ever played through was the Blue Version, also ive been buying one of the Verisons every year since 2009, even though i am skipping out on ORAS right now.

Anyway, i hope we can come along with eachother fine and have a good Time :)

Hi, hi!

I'm pretty sure Pokémon Community Thread (Or Pokémon-GAF) can be a weird and wonderful place at times. But don't worry too much about everything - I'm pretty darned sure that things will work.

So, yeah.

(Why skip ORAS? You might want to try your hand in Hoenn. :p)

I must admit, most Pokemon music never clicked on me except for XY's.

On a related note, it's hard to find atypical Pokemon discussion without people mentioning TPP memes, made me cringe.

I like Hoenn's style.

Guess TPP took over for quite a while.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The ratings are down for the anime, which is funny as they've seriously upped the ante on the production side and the writing is quite a bit better. Declining birth rates and more alternate forms of media to digest, I guess.

harmonize

The writing is as bad as it's ever been, even worse in some cases. I'm still somewhat annoyed that some people here convinced me otherwise a few months back before I decided to binge all of the XY series in three sittings.

Anyways the ratings are down because the target audience is less interested in the franchise than ever before; a similar drop happened during the second and third generations once the series transitioned from being a huge phenomenon to just a popular series.

Vylash

the anime has been pretty bad starting with Battle Frontier, I actually liked Diamond and Pearl more than I thought I would, mainly for Hikari, but even I couldn't watch Best Wishes or X/Y

Nightbird

Hi, hi!

I'm pretty sure Pokémon Community Thread (Or Pokémon-GAF) can be a weird and wonderful place at times. But don't worry too much about everything - I'm pretty darned sure that things will work.

So, yeah.

(Why skip ORAS? You might want to try your hand in Hoenn. :p)

Thank you very much, and yeah i know that the Poké-Gaf can be weird, thats why i love it! (However, i still don't know what to think about that infamous 300th Page thing that happend while i was still a Lurker xD)

I'm skipping it because the 6th Gen has been disappointing to me this far. I still consider BW2 the best Mainline Pokémongame yet. And coming from that i excepted big things from Game Freak. Outside of the Graphics and the Pokémon-Design they did not really deliverd. Remembering how it was in earlier Generations with the first Game, i gave them a pass on that.

Now with ORAS, i awaited big things again, i wanted a Remake on the Scale of HG/SS, meaning The Original Game remade on the base of the 6th Gen with the Stuff of the Third Version and some additional Stuff to keep you excited. The Game was not fully created on the Base of the 6th Gen. I liked my Customization. Also there was no additional stuff from Emerald i cared about, Battle FRontier in particular, and the additional stuff is not that exciting to me to justify a 35-40€ Purchase that i'll stop playing after a Month because of the lacking Postgame (This is what happend in X/Y).

So yeah, to make it short: Weak Postgame = No buy. I want Games to keep me occupied after i finished the Main Story, X/Y did not achieved this for me, and since ORAS Postgame seems to be in a similar Ballpark i decided to let this one pass by.

I hope my reasoning is understandable ._.

Boss Doggie

Avoid dub Pokemon at all costs, epsecially TPCi era dub.

The ratings are down for the anime, which is funny as they've seriously upped the ante on the production side and the writing is quite a bit better. Declining birth rates and more alternate forms of media to digest, I guess.

You get it.

The writing is as bad as it's ever been, even worse in some cases. I'm still somewhat annoyed that some people here convinced me otherwise a few months back before I decided to binge all of the XY series in three sittings.

Anyways the ratings are down because the target audience is less interested in the franchise than ever before; a similar drop happened during the second and third generations once the series transitioned from being a huge phenomenon to just a popular series.

Hahahah no, it's not about quality. Like I said, see Super Sentai and Kamen Rider for a similar trend.

And XY is pretty good, dare I say it better than DP. Ash isn't shit, the companions are bearable, and the action is pretty good. Only few filler eps made me go meh but at least not to the point of cringe. This is rare for me because I never usually defend or enjoy the anime series.

harmonize

Hahahah no, it's not about quality.
That's what I just said. It being poor quality was a tangential point, the ratings are down solely because interest in the entire franchise is down among the younger audience. The anime itself acts to funnel a new audience to buy the games and merchandise, and when you're not interested in the games, there's not much of a reason to watch the show.

Boss Doggie

That's what I just said. It being poor quality was a tangential point, the ratings are down solely because interest in the entire franchise is down among the younger audience. The anime itself acts to funnel a new audience to buy the games and merchandise, and when you're not interested in the games, there's not much of a reason to watch the show.

Exactly, this show, like Kamen Rider and Sentai, exists merely to advertise merchandise.

Thank you very much, and yeah i know that the Poké-Gaf can be weird, thats why i love it! (However, i still don't know what to think about that infamous 300th Page thing that happend while i was still a Lurker xD)

I'm skipping it because the 6th Gen has been disappointing to me this far. I still consider BW2 the best Mainline Pokémongame yet. And coming from that i excepted big things from Game Freak. Outside of the Graphics and the Pokémon-Design they did not really deliverd. Remembering how it was in earlier Generations with the first Game, i gave them a pass on that.

Now with ORAS, i awaited big things again, i wanted a Remake on the Scale of HG/SS, meaning The Original Game remade on the base of the 6th Gen with the Stuff of the Third Version and some additional Stuff to keep you excited. The Game was not fully created on the Base of the 6th Gen. I liked my Customization. Also there was no additional stuff from Emerald i cared about, Battle FRontier in particular, and the additional stuff is not that exciting to me to justify a 35-40€ Purchase that i'll stop playing after a Month because of the lacking Postgame (This is what happend in X/Y).

So yeah, to make it short: Weak Postgame = No buy. I want Games to keep me occupied after i finished the Main Story, X/Y did not achieved this for me, and since ORAS Postgame seems to be in a similar Ballpark i decided to let this one pass by.

I hope my reasoning is understandable ._.

Aww...I never really cared about post-game content, seeing as my kind of post-game is basically "collecting them all...the hard way". I don't really deal with post-game battle facilities.

Sometimes it might make sense to pose some self-imposed challenges. Mine's pretty darned tame - no "mass import from Pokémon Bank Pokémon in my other games" until I finish the Hoenn Pokédex. These challenges can spice up things.

Just don't try a Nuzlocke Challenge unless you have extra copies of the same game for normal play (or are planning to keep anything and don't have any other game).

The 300th page is infamous?

I must be missing something.

-Horizon-

I must be missing something.

Its what I'm trying to figure out. I went back to that page and it was just normal pokemon stuff...imo. Unless it was deleted or something. I remember a couple of pages of posts were deleted in the Smash threads.
Or it was a different thread they're talking about.

Nightbird

Its what I'm trying to figure out. I went back to that page and it was just normal pokemon stuff...imo. Unless it was deleted or something. I remember a couple of pages of posts were deleted in the Smash threads.
Or it was a different thread they're talking about.

Yes, it's ddeleted Stuff. It started out as a discussion about Kricketune, then somebody started posting pictures of Wetas, and it became more gross, but at that time I abandoned the Thread already.
I'm sorry, but I don't know which thread it was anymore, but I can say that it has been awhile since then already

Yes, it's ddeleted Stuff. It started out as a discussion about Kricketune, then somebody started posting pictures of Wetas, and it became more gross, but at that time I abandoned the Thread already.
I'm sorry, but I don't know which thread it was anymore, but I can say that it has been awhile since then already

I think I should be thankful that I never saw that.

CengizMan

I found some TCG Online codes lying around which I don't need. They're from two Black and White starter decks and from one X and Y booster pack. Quote to see the codes.

Welcome! nice choice in avatar too, you should check out the onepiece manga thread over in off topic community if you haven't.
I think ORAS is better than XY but not as good at BW2, so I can't blame you for being hesitant.

Sidenote: for those who missed it, I created a super-secret base thread for ORAS: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=942064
Hoping to get more people in there over time.

I found some TCG Online codes lying around which I don't need. They're from two Black and White starter decks and from one X and Y booster pack. Quote to see the codes.

You really have no idea how much of a lifesaver you are with that starter code lol. Was so tempted to actually buy the starter just to get a code lol. Since it's a discontinued deck though I really don't want to pay $30.

Btw, I grabbed both.

I'll post a screen of the booster...nothing special except that butterfree

rQRBE.jpg

Btw, if anyone has pokemon TCG online codes they don't need they can always just pm me with it =D

lupinko

I just confirmed that Christmas Shiny Jirachi is different from Summer Shiny Jirachi.

Edit: Speaking of Events, I might do a Christmas one for Gaf, Body Slam Wishmaker Jirachi and Defense Curl Ageto Celebi, both will hold premier balls. Lol

-Horizon-

Oooooh that thing. I remember that. That giant grasshopper looking thing invaded the Smash WiiU/3DS thread and those pages got deleted too lol.

Boss Doggie

No, it's just the featured cards in that TCG set. Dragonite, Hawlucha and Heracross are ones of the EXs in the set and Tyrantrum has a deck.

I know of its origin. Hence why I wondered if some of the roster inspiration would be from it, like say, Jynx.

I know of its origin. Hence why I wondered if some of the roster inspiration would be from it, like say, Jynx.

I'd probably not use the TCG as any reference to other aspects of pokemon. The TCG does things way differently especially to typings and whatnot. For the most part it follows it's own rules and is more in line with the anime than the games. And the Furious Fists deck line isn't the newest line which throws off any Pokken theory. The latest line is Phantom Forces which focuses on Gengar, Malamar, Manectric and some other pokemon.

Boss Doggie

I'd probably not use the TCG as any reference to other aspects of pokemon. The TCG does things way differently especially to typings and whatnot. For the most part it follows it's own rules and is more in line with the anime than the games.

No no no, I mean just some of the character picks.

No no no, I mean just some of the character picks.

They probably pick popular pokemon as well as pokemon prominent in the anime. Then throw in a few curveballs here and there just to mix things up. Tbh the TCG picks have been more random in most cases especially when you look at the theme decks that match it's various sets.

Top Bottom